Nikon D800......

Nice history and photograph.

There's a church near me and on the same street that my Grandparents used to live. The church is on a roundabout and is named locally as the "Church in the middle of the road" and I had it in my mind to photograph it yesterday. So your posting as got me more interested to make the effort.

Just had a google and someone has documented some of the history of the area > http://www.rhysowainwilliams.com/morriston-wales.html

@G.K.Jnr. Perhaps you can help with this, IIRC you own one. I sent my 35-70 f2.8 lens back last week and will probably buy the 24-85mm VR lens as my going about lens, if you do own it how do you find it on the D810? I have tried the Nikon 24-120mm too heavy, Tamron 28-75 had poor copy and Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-f4 version, so I think my only option left, as the 24-70 f2.8 lens are going to be too heavy for me is the 24-85mm VR.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Many thanks for that Simon, appreciate your comments.(y)

"Yes I do have the 24-85mm VR Nikon Lens, and to be perfectly honest I can't fault it. Providing you don't need the constant wider aperture (which I don't need) that the 24-70 gives then optically I personally can see no difference. The AF (which I seldom use) is very quick and It's rare to find it searching, flair control is very good at all apertures and I've used this lens into the light frequently without problems. I find optically the best apertures are from F5.6 to F11 with F16 being perfectly usable but not quite as good. Bear in mind my tests are user tests and not in anyway scientific.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Many thanks for that Simon, appreciate your comments.(y)

"Yes I do have the 24-85mm VR Nikon Lens, and to be perfectly honest I can't fault it. Providing you don't need the constant wider aperture (which I don't need) that the 24-70 gives then optically I personally can see no difference. The AF (which I seldom use) is very quick and It's rare to find it searching, flair control is very good at all apertures and I've used this lens into the light frequently without problems. I find optically the best apertures are from F5.6 to F11 with F16 being perfectly usable but not quite as good. Bear in mind my tests are user tests and not in anyway scientific.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Thanks George,

As soon as they process the return I'll get one ordered.

If you're ever in doubt about the 24-85 then have a look at @Anibaps results on the D750 thread [emoji106][emoji106]

If you're ever in doubt about the 24-85 then have a look at @Anibaps results on the D750 thread [emoji106][emoji106]

I got a feeling it's maybe a one off, or he has made it himself in his shed;) Seriously, he produces some stunning work with that lens.

Last edited:
Dropped to page two so thought we could do with a little bump. Liked this capture of a Robin in the garden yesterday.

Robin by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

That's nice Simon, great comp', fine detail, and a very nice pose. Liking this one very much.(y)

George.

This is a shot of Josie my Secretary/PA. It's probably not to everyone's style of portraiture, but I distinctly wanted to go for an older traditional style office type shot on this occasion.

D810, Nikon 24-85mm Lens @ 85mm, 1/250th @ F8, ISO-100, Two studio flash heads into silver umbrellas.
Josie-810034 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

:agree: Very nice portrait and conversion. Also, the 24-85mm lens shows some excellent detail, particularly around the eyes.

that 24-85 might have to be on my list for a bit of a walkabout zoom alongside a few primes....

I'm just waiting for my refund from Wex for the 35-70mm f2.8 I sent back, to buy one. As mentioned above, Anibap in the D750 thread gets some excellent results with that lens.

those 35-70 no good then jack?[/QUOTE

It's an excellent lens and lighter than the 24/28-70mm but with similar IQ for a lot less, but you loose out on the wide end. I have shoulder and elbow problems and after trying the most common lenses in similar range, I think the 24-85mm VR is going to be better for me, as it's lighter and the VR is a bonus as I'm not very stable on my feet either:D

cheers mate I did notice that there is one on the forum for £190 also hmmmmmm lol

cheers mate I did notice that there is one on the forum for £190 also hmmmmmm lol

Looks like mine is back up for sale at WEX £256' which was mint. Mpb also had one Iirc.

As you're coming back to Nikon remember there's two versions of the lens. The newer D version allows for matrix metering along with flash use etc.. So go for the D version IIWY . Also these are push / pull zooms so can take a little time to get used to.

Thanks jack I used push pull with the Canon dust pump so might appeal to me tbh... thanks for the help;-)

Actually quite like that George. You've definately succeeded with the vintage feel.

Many thanks m8, appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

:agree: Very nice portrait and conversion. Also, the 24-85mm lens shows some excellent detail, particularly around the eyes.

Thanks m8, as always appreciate your comments.(y)

"I told you the 24-85mm is a good lens".:D

George.

Cracker of a vintage style portrait George, and a lovely conversion. Looks like a good walkabout lens that I will add to the list, after a 70-200 2.8, though I need to move some sony stuff and a couple of nikon 85's first!

as you may have noticed I'm brand new to Nikon..... ( still have the a7ii and a7sii though lol) .... is the 85mm d decent on the d800 compared to the g?

I never really used it much as I had a 70-200 2.8 nikon, which I sold along with almost all my nikon kit for the A7R2, but then bought a D800e, then a sigma 35 art,then the 85 sigma. Now I need/want a 70-200 which was my most used focal range, and a walkabout zoom.
Money money money.

lol tell me about it lol.... I just sold my canon 70-200 2.8..... undecided on the zoom or prime I am buying my d800 with the 50 1.4 so was thinking of having 3 primes for portraits..... still undecided though if I'm honest ... I do love the prime look but changing lenses can be a nuisance sometimes

You sold your 70-200.? Are you stupid! Wtf that is a legendary lens! Gives me goose bumps whenever I use it which is rare. 85mm 1.2 is sweet too.

I also got the batis 85mm for travel.

So far it's been 2 months since I bought new gear. I'm doing well

lol yeah haven't got a canon camera now lol..... until end of may..... I still have 24-70mk2 35 art 50 art and 85 1.2 with metabones for the sonys...... lol

is the Nikon equiv of the 1.2 the 1.4 g?

lol yeah haven't got a canon camera now lol..... until end of may..... I still have 24-70mk2 35 art 50 art and 85 1.2 with metabones for the sonys...... lol

is the Nikon equiv of the 1.2 the 1.4 g?
1.4. Only canon have 1.2 85mm. It's actually much easier to use that lens on the a7 series bodies due to mf abilities.

I don't like the focus ring though. It feels very cheaply made but the rest of the lens is brilliant.

I got mine from panamoz so I may have got a dud in terms of the focus ring. The IQ and focus accuracy is spot on. That's why I didn't bother changing it.

Cracker of a vintage style portrait George, and a lovely conversion. Looks like a good walkabout lens that I will add to the list, after a 70-200 2.8, though I need to move some sony stuff and a couple of nikon 85's first!

Many thanks for that David, really appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

anyone using the 85g????? I thought I was after a telephoto but I'm guessing witht he 36mp I can crop a fair bit and with the prime being so light it has lots of pluses....

anyone using the 85g????? I thought I was after a telephoto but I'm guessing witht he 36mp I can crop a fair bit and with the prime being so light it has lots of pluses....

The 1.8? It's a fantastic lens. Lightweight, relatively cheap, brilliant IQ (scores really well on DXO if you're into that kinda stuff) and is relatively quick to focus.

The 1.8? It's a fantastic lens. Lightweight, relatively cheap, brilliant IQ (scores really well on DXO if you're into that kinda stuff) and is relatively quick to focus.
nice one mate I found a cracking price on a used one... think it might have to be just primes only for me lol......

Back