Nikon D800......

cheers mate will see if I can grab one of those as well lol... I used to own a tamron 28-75 2.8 considering one of those until my bonus comes through in may lol

oops tamron 24-70 vc purchased now plus a flash and a trigger lol that's the shopping done until next week time to actually use the camera when it arrives lol

Swansea Jack. Since you had a d750 before the d800 how do you find it. Any better or anything you like share pls

Thanks for those links Shaheed, nice, do you still use it?

Sorry they're links - on my phone so can't copy the bb code.

It's a light lens that comes with me when I go on holiday - mainly if I fancy Astro or don't fancy lugging the 16-35 around.

Just sold my sigma 85 due to a few cash flow issues but they'll be resolved by next month.

Missing an 85 MM and can't decide what to replace it with!!

If it helps I have bought the 85 1.8g until the mythical 85 art is released

If it helps I have bought the 85 1.8g until the mythical 85 art is released

I've had the Samyang 85 f1.4, Nikon f1.8g and the sigma f1.4

Ive gone from having two 85mm's at one stage to rather carelessly have none!!

I do have a hankering after the f1.4g but the f1.8g was great!

Glad you said the 1.8g is great :) although if the art series is anything to go by so far the 85 art will be a winner

I miss BRASH, he would have loved this !

So do I, you just needed to see through his banter and not take things too seriously. He helped me a lot along with some of the others, when first taking an interest in bird photography.

Last edited:
just had a phone call from the shop that he 85 I ordered is out of stock :-( unsure if I should get a zoom now or another 85... decisions .... .. guess the zoom is more useful in some ways lol

just had a phone call from the shop that he 85 I ordered is out of stock :-( unsure if I should get a zoom now or another 85... decisions .... .. guess the zoom is more useful in some ways lol

Yeah, not sure if I should upgrade my tamron 28-75 to a Nikon 24-70 along side an 85 f1.8g. Or just satisfy my curiosity and get the f1.4g

The 1.8g is amazing and is worth the wait Owen.

Lumsdale?
Yes - had a strange experience of smoke drifting across the river - thought it was just someone with a fire. Then the smoke turned blue!

Turns out that a photographer was doing a shoot with a couple of models and using smoke bombs.

They had left the empty smoke bomb cases laying around which was irritating - picked a few up.

Yeah, not sure if I should upgrade my tamron 28-75 to a Nikon 24-70 along side an 85 f1.8g. Or just satisfy my curiosity and get the f1.4g
I have a similar yearning. I love my 85mm f/1.8g. But the f/1.4g keeps calling my name every night. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

I have a similar yearning. I love my 85mm f/1.8g. But the f/1.4g keeps calling my name every night. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

I think I might have to pop into Dales to try one out......only when armed with enough wonga to afford one though!!

I wonder if they'd accept a kidney?

Ha!!!

It's odd really. I've had the f1.8g and was pleased with the results - see above shots.

However I've also had two f1.4's previously (sigma and Samyang) which I've really loved. Both good wide open but everybody who's used the f1.4g with a d800 has said nothing but amazing things about it.

It is so very expensive though.

The 30/50 f1.4 art are incredible but priced more reasonably.

@Swanseajack wondering if u saw this pal

Morning Andrew.

My observations so far.

My first impression was how quiet shutter was, I like to use the camera for birding in the garden and the D750 was very loud IMO even in QC mode. And one shot, off they would fly.

I like the crop modes as you can black out the outer space, so makes it easier for framing. Not sure if this option is available on the D750,?...... The 1.2 crop mode is handy for me now, as my longest lens is 200mm @ f2.8, I was using a 300mmm and a TC on the D750.

I thought the noise was a tad worse, but what I have noticed is that the D810 over exposes a little, and now, I feel it can run at lower ISO than the D750. As an example I can use auto 800 now and on the D750 I was using 1600 as my upper limit. This is difficult to quantify as I'm using a different lenses now.

JPEGS seem better to what I remembered when I first used the D750, when comparing to the Fuji XT1, when I switched to the D750 two years ago, or so.

I find the grip very comfortable and nice like the D750.

IMO the photos from the D810 are sharper and seem to have a little more pop.

Not noticing any problem with file size as I upgraded to a i7 machine over Christmas just gone.

Obviously cropping is better due to the more MP.

Not sure what you want to know Andrew, anything specific?.........You thinking of changing over.

Am I pleased I made the change, yes is my answer at present, but the D750 is an excellent camera and the D810 was a GAS thing for me. I wanted one when I came back to Nikon from Fuji but it was out of my price range then. Both cameras are more than enough, for my skills.

Last edited:
Both good wide open but everybody who's used the f1.4g with a d800 has said nothing but amazing things about it.

It is so very expensive though.

I've been unable to find any real world image comparisons between the f/1.4g and f/1.8g - but there's certainly something that appeals about the f/1.4g. Asides from poverty and a double hernia.

There's also a £150 discount running at the moment.

My Nikon 24-85mm VR lens turned up today. Seems a nice lightweight lens for me, just need to get out and use it. My dog wasn't playing ball so only managed the flower below, nice to see a little blue sky in the background.

DSC_0924 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Back