Nikon D800......

Thanks Gregg.

A quick grab shot as the biker was just leaving/riding off, shot at f/5. It's a cheap as chips lens which delivers good results. I do love that focal length personally.

Put the new (used) D810 to work for the first time yesterday. Wow, what a camera! The keeper rate is astronomic and less pp needed than anything else I've used. What on earth is my gas going to do now?

Had a little play with the Group Area AF today, surprised at the keeper rate especially for me hand holding the 80-200mm f2.8 lens. Also the cropping facility is fantastic, the one of the mutt below is a very large crop and still kept some detail. Love this lens.

Also had a little go at seascapes with my new 24-85mm VR lens but the sky was lacking clouds and hazy, so not much interest.

Mumbles lighthouse with Port Talbot in the far background.

Nikon D810 & Nikon 24-85mm VR lens. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Hugo our Mutt having some fun on the beach.

Nikon D810 & 80-200mm F2.8 lens by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Had a little play with the Group Area AF today, surprised at the keeper rate especially for me hand holding the 80-200mm f2.8 lens. Also the cropping facility is fantastic, the one of the mutt below is a very large crop and still kept some detail. Love this lens.

Also had a little go at seascapes with my new 24-85mm VR lens but the sky was lacking type clouds and hazy, so not much interest.

Mumbles lighthouse with Port Talbot in the far background.

Hugo our Mutt having some fun on the beach.

Nikon D810 & 80-200mm F2.8 lens by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Some Beauts there mate :)

Some Beauts there mate :)

Thanks mate, the scapes look a little flat after loading onto Flickr and here. Maybe some heat haze, steam or smoke from the Steelworks in the background??

How you finding the VR1, seen the pic of your dog on Flickr and assumed it was taken with the lens.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, the scapes look a little flat after loading onto Flickr and here. Maybe some heat haze?? How you finding the VR1, seen the pic of your dog on Flickr and assumed it was taken with the lens.
Yes mate enjoying the Vr first real test of the d800 with it today passed with flying colours so far the autofocus imho is lightspeed compared to the sony which is what I was hoping for :)

Though you a d810 not a d800 jack??

I've been tempted to get a d810 the past week trade up from d750 but worried I regret it as reviews says d750 handle noise better? Might wait for the new 800 series

its all relative mate how many times do you shoot at 6400 or above? why not use a flash if you do... 36mp goodness :)

Don't make it any easier [emoji23]

Wanting gear doesn't always have to make sense mate if you want it sometimes you have to go for it if not just have to be happy with what you got ;-) on the plus side at least you wouldn't need lenses;-)

I've been tempted to get a d810 the past week trade up from d750 but worried I regret it as reviews says d750 handle noise better? Might wait for the new 800 series
If you pixel peep you will see more noise. It is still very good at handling noise btw. If you down sample to 24MP then there is little, if anything, between them. Given that the vast majority of images will be viewed down sampled noise becomes only something some photographers fret over. Also if you print, even relatively large it too tends to suppress noise. Basically it is just about an irrelevance. :)

Nice to see the 28d punching above its weight again [emoji106][emoji106]

I have read many reviews saying the old 28mm D lens is poor. Peter @macvisual has proven, you shouldn't believe everything on the internet and sometimes buy the equipment and make your own decisions. I was going to buy the lens and while I faffed around Peter beat me to it, great lens at a bargain price and a good photographer helps also.

Im on a '1 photo per day' ATM until I go back to work.
This is todays one taken on the 24-70s predecessor, the Nikkor 28-70 2.8 - an outstanding lens (was £2k I think when they first came out) and you can pick these monsters up for not too much cash now - the IQ you can judge for yourself.

Stop Over by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Last edited:
Niel, that's another sublime landscape capture, the details in the clouds and colours are superb, love the composition. The pastel colours are exquisite, great photography and talent Sir.

Totally agree, the 28-70/2.8 is a belter of a lens, it never gets much press but is outstanding quality glass.

Niel, that's another sublime landscape capture, the details in the clouds and colours are superb, love the composition. The pastel colours are exquisite, great photography and talent Sir.

Totally agree, the 28-70/2.8 is a belter of a lens, it never gets much press but is outstanding quality glass.

Thanks Peter! Love my 28-70 although i don't really use it enough!

Picked up a 70-200/2.8 VR II from MPB at a decent price and very impressed so far. No people shots yet - which is what it's for - but around the garden, 200mm at 1/125 on the D810 and still tack sharp. Absolutely cracking lens and not as massive as I expected. Much as I love using it, I think my Oly kit is going to go, it just can't compete with the D810's smooth transitions and detail.

Got myself a 24-85 VR from the classifieds on here. Needed a walk around lens for my travels and could noway afford a 24-70 F2.8. Away in Wales soon on a narrowboat for a few days so looking forward to testing it out.

Picked up a 70-200/2.8 VR II from MPB at a decent price and very impressed so far. No people shots yet - which is what it's for - but around the garden, 200mm at 1/125 on the D810 and still tack sharp. Absolutely cracking lens and not as massive as I expected. Much as I love using it, I think my Oly kit is going to go, it just can't compete with the D810's smooth transitions and detail.

I know what you mean, there's not much to compete with the D8xx's [emoji3][emoji106]

Back