Nikon D800......

We nearly had an epic sunset tonight but it just fizzled out a bit. Also cant for the life of me figure out why or how to remove this hazy effect from the photo. Its also noisy as hell even though it was shot at ISO 100 :/ had to use almost full noise reduction in Lightroom which I've never had to do before with the D800.

Maldives sunset by Dave Woodyatt, on Flickr

That's a bit of a wow picture of a foxglove Peter, well caught.

Recently purchased a used Tokina 17mm RMC f3.5 from Neil of this parish, lens arrived today (Thursday) so looking forward to boring youse with w--i--d--e images.

:)

Last edited:
Recently purchased a used Tokina 17mm RMC f3.5 from Neil of this parish, lens arrived today (Thursday) so looking forward to boring youse with w--i--d--e images.

:)

Love a wide image so looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Excellent Pete, was it a good day?
Thanks Gregg, on arrival at the track it was really chucking it down rain wise (what's new), had to stay in the car for twenty minutes it was that heavy, but eventually stopped and it cleared up to be a lovely afternoon.
I'm heading back on Sunday for a full day etc...

Should be fun!

Currently now in Sri Lanka. Whilst traveling down to Galle yesterday from Negombo we hoped on a river tour. There are 64 small islands within the river system and some have Buddhist temples on them. We passed under a bridge between one and the main time and I got the timing right for this one. Im not normally someone who like selective colouring but as the background was a dull grey anyway I thought this edit works well.

Returning Monk by Dave Woodyatt, on Flickr

Thanks Graham, I'll be heading there all day Sunday again. I shot around 1100 images with the D810 + Sigma set-up, a monopod is the way forward ok. I now understand the potential of using a high ISO setting for sports photography. Think I probably used the 21 focus points and AF-C for virtually everything, and around f11/13 for most captures using the Sigma 1.4 TC etc...

It's a mixed bag of weather for Sunday's racing I believe, a bit like today........hmmm not great but nice in between the (heavy) showers.

I've a load of images still to work on yet, haven't checked them all out yet cause there's so many, but best to shoot as much as you can experience wise.

p.s.
I'm the guy with the 'L' plates displayed buried amongst the other photographers.......I've a lot to learn!

Last edited:
This was is a cracking image Peter, I always shoot a lot of images.

I use AF-C with back button focus, tend to shoot around the f8/f11 mark (except when shooting through fences, but at least you don't many of have those at Knockhill).
If you know what aperture and shutter speed you want to shoot at have you considered auto-iso?

Always use a monopod and one of these http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...l8_-kndfcsuniigkspagly9l03iaqlnbdwaagj88p8haq
find the belt holder superb when I try to pan with a monopod, wouldn't be without one now.

Thanks for your experience and link Graham, appreciated. Haven't thought about auto-iso, must look into that. When the 1.4 TC's attached I think f9 is the base f/stop etc.........would you suggest keeping at a lower f/stop instead of around f11/13 etc?

It's not an easy game capturing these machines at speed, practice makes (nearly) perfect. I found the D810 a tad sluggish in actually taking the shot on a number of occasions, actually missed many shots due to lag, maybe it's just me and my method.

Strange.

Thanks for your experience and link Graham, appreciated. Haven't thought about auto-iso, must look into that. When the 1.4 TC's attached I think f9 is the base f/stop etc.........would you suggest keeping at a lower f/stop instead of around f11/13 etc?

It's not an easy game capturing these machines at speed, practice makes (nearly) perfect. I found the D810 a tad sluggish in actually taking the shot on a number of occasions, actually missed many shots due to lag, maybe it's just me and my method.

Strange.

Are you using continuous high, never had any lag using it. Also worth trying group area AF (5point) to see how you get along. I have found it good for BIF, maybe of use for bikes?

Strange.

Oops I forgot that the combo you using would be f9 min no in that case I would do what your doing, have you got the AF-C setting to release or focus (A1 in menu) if you have it on focus it won't take a shot if it thinks its out of focus. Think this setting is a matter of taste, I tend to use release because it drives me mad when it doesn't take a picture when I think it should.
Again a lot of people swear by the group AF me personally have always used single point since D200 days, probably harder to keep the focus where you want it to be.

Oops I forgot that the combo you using would be f9 min no in that case I would do what your doing, have you got the AF-C setting to release or focus (A1 in menu) if you have it on focus it won't take a shot if it thinks its out of focus. Think this setting is a matter of taste, I tend to use release because it drives me mad when it doesn't take a picture when I think it should.
Again a lot of people swear by the group AF me personally have always used single point since D200 days, probably harder to keep the focus where you want it to be.

I also prefer single point, but I have found the group area (5 point) very good for BIF with the D810. Also, I use release focus as I have found it to hunt otherwise, when it should be focused and have used this on D7000, D7100 & D750 never found it reliable IMO.

I tried my Kenko Teleconverter on the D810 and Sigma 150-600mm on Thursday and it really struggled to focus, even in good light. Probably the Sigma version will be better but it's still past f8 though.

Good advice above, thanks guys...! I'll detach the 1.4TC and just use it as a 150-600mm and see how I get on. I was mainly using single shot and not high-continious, I'm not sure on A-1 to be honest? Don't know much about it.........yet.

I'll try the 5-point group focus thanks. Seems too many options.

What do the Pro sports shooters use settings wise I wonder....(?)

Good advice above, thanks guys...! I'll detach the 1.4TC and just use it as a 150-600mm and see how I get on. I was mainly using single shot and not high-continious, I'm not sure on A-1 to be honest? Don't know much about it.........yet.

I'll try the 5-point group focus thanks. Seems too many options.

What do the Pro sports shooters use settings wise I wonder....(?)

Not a lot difference to what you use Peter - either single point or a small group AF (some swear by either)
AF-C continuous mode - frame rate in most cases docent really matter to much except in a few cases e.g. crash sequence.
Shutter speed depends on what your shooting - head on up to 1/800 a sec the only thing you need to watch is non slicks a fast shutter speed with treaded tyres will freeze the tread patterns and possibly make the shot a bit static (hope that makes sense).
Non head on shots somewhere around the 1/320th is a good starting point.
Aperture depends a lot what lens they are using - usually a stop or two down from wide open.

After that is practice and more practice.

The menu setting A1 controls when the camera will take a shot the continuous AF mode on the D810 you have 3 settings
Release - will take a picture regardless whether its in focus or not
Focus - will only take a picture when its in Focus (I've found that not to be case at times)
Release & Focus a cross between the two.
Using release will make the camera seem more responsive - probably will get more out of focus shorts though.
Focus will make the camera less responsive and at times it just won't take a shot.
Try both to see what you prefer, like I said personally I swear by release I had a few occasions when using focus when a really nice piece of action is occurring and pressing the shutter has had no effect and I would rather the camera took the picture (it might not be pin sharp but if its a rare occurrence I can put up with that.

Loving using my D800s again. Though does anyone find the AWB is rubbish with tungsten / fluorescent light ?

Reactions: ST4
:agree: some stunning photos Steve. You capture some excellent reflections.

Back