Nikon D800......

My D800 may be finding its way on Ebay soon. More and more of the photograph that I'm enjoying now is nighttime or lowlight. The D800 is a fantastic camera but the noise in low light is killing me. I'm currently deciding to either go towards the D750 or swap to a first gen A7s

My D800 may be finding its way on Ebay soon. More and more of the photograph that I'm enjoying now is nighttime or lowlight. The D800 is a fantastic camera but the noise in low light is killing me. I'm currently deciding to either go towards the D750 or swap to a first gen A7s

Same here Dave, I struggle to use my Zeiss MF lens on the D800. Have made the decision to switch to the Sony system, with the A7R being my target camera - superior LV implementation, same but better sensor apparently and you can use all of your existing glass on it :D. Seems reasonable to me.

I'm going to leave my decision open for a couple of months. I hope that with Photokina around the corner there may be a followup to the D810. If there is and it has upgraded Low light capabilities I may invest that way.

Anybody done much tethered shooting with their 800? I reckon the USB socket on mine is going wobbly :( Hate to think what Nikon are going to charge me for that. Also, hate to think how I'll cope without the camera for a couple of weeks.......

Same here Dave, I struggle to use my Zeiss MF lens on the D800. Have made the decision to switch to the Sony system, with the A7R being my target camera - superior LV implementation, same but better sensor apparently and you can use all of your existing glass on it :D. Seems reasonable to me.
Do you need a special attachment to use existing Nikon glass on the Sony body....?.....how does it work Neil ?

Not really a landscaper - need to get better. Had the d800 and 70-200 as the sun was going down

View attachment 71064

Nice light and capture, but at those rays added in shop? for me they take away from the beauty of the subject. Amazing head shots also, you continue to inspire me to branch off and try my hand at these types of shots.

Just thought I'd post a couple of shots of my beloved Motor Driven Nikon F3 . I've been lucky enough to have owned and still have a copy of every higher end film SLR Nikon made from a Nikon F onwards and this is without a doubt one of my preferred models.

D810, 105mm Micro Nikkor Lens, 1/250th @ F16, ISO-100, Studio Flash.
Motor Driven Nikon F3 (1)-802867 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

D810, 105mm Micro Nikkor Lens, 1/250th @ F16, ISO-100, Studio Flash.
Motor Driven Nikon F3 (2)-802871 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

George;

I'm stunned. Beautiful studio photography Sir, magnificent studio lighting. Can I ask please how many light were used for these awesome clean/clear quality images? This reminds me of my brothers studio when he was based in Co Cork, Ireland. wOOw

Love these images George, superb talent!

Regards;
Peter

George;

I'm stunned. Beautiful studio photography Sir, magnificent studio lighting. Can I ask please how many light were used for these awesome clean/clear quality images? This reminds me of my brothers studio when he was based in Co Cork, Ireland. wOOw

Love these images George, superb talent!

Regards;
Peter

WoW ! Many thanks for that Peter, really appreciate your comments. My offer to you to visit us still stands if ever you get the chance to get down this way.(y)

"The lighting setup was very simple, three flash heads each with a medium sized soft box attached. One overhead on a boom arm very slightly behind the subject but high enough and angled to light the background as well. One from the right at slightly behind and slightly above the subject the subject to bring out the edges a bit. And one the same height and just left of the camera as a fill light about 2/3 of a stop less output to bung some light into the dark areas and bring out a bit of texture without creating any uncontrollable highlights".

George.

Also a lovely looking Camera and photos George and it seems cherished.

Some lovely portraits again Shaheed and nice to see some wildlife, (the Tiger is lovely) as I cant remember you posting any before.

Looks a nice bike, is it yours Peter? just asking as it looks in a different location/position to the one posted earlier or a different crop?
Thanks Simon, no unfortunately it's not mine, it's a friend's motorcycle and I shot this image yesterday at our work grounds. I used a different lens from the previous image (well spotted Sir), I used a Samyang 135 f2, my first time using it in anger........haha. The MV Augusta owner/rider will probably want a professional large print of it I think.

A smart looking machine.

Cheers;
Pete

Also a lovely looking Camera and photos George and it seems cherished.

Some lovely portraits again Shaheed and nice to see some wildlife, (the Tiger is lovely) as I cant remember you posting any before.

Thank you! Went to Yorkshire wildlife park on Tuesday with the kids (Daddy day care, as SWMBO was at work). Pesky fences getting in the way of photos - would love to have had a longer lens for reach but ultimately this is why I took the d800 over the d750 - to be able to crop in a bit!

Thank you! Went to Yorkshire wildlife park on Tuesday with the kids (Daddy day care, as SWMBO was at work). Pesky fences getting in the way of photos - would love to have had a longer lens for reach but ultimately this is why I took the d800 over the d750 - to be able to crop in a bit!
I'm surprised as I think the YWP has some of the best 'fence free viewing' of all the safari parks I've been to. Of course it depends where you stand and where the animals are of course ;)

Is there a reason that you're considering the D750 over the D810? The reason I ask is that I'm considering swapping my D750 for a D810, but don't want to take a huge step back in noise. My understanding is that the D810 is only slightly worse than the D750, but I didn't think there was much difference between the D800 and D810?

I'm surprised as I think the YWP has some of the best 'fence free viewing' of all the safari parks I've been to. Of course it depends where you stand and where the animals are of course ;)

That tiger was through a fence, but generally it was pretty good. The animals were just in difficult positions to snap!

Is there a reason that you're considering the D750 over the D810? The reason I ask is that I'm considering swapping my D750 for a D810, but don't want to take a huge step back in noise. My understanding is that the D810 is only slightly worse than the D750, but I didn't think there was much difference between the D800 and D810?

I cant comment on the D810 as Ive never used one. Through online research and so on I've found the D750 is often regarded as the best Nikon for low light. How big the gap between the D810 and the 750 is I just don't know. I'm sure someone on here has used both and could give a more valid perspective.

Although at the moment the D750 prices have gone up so much that I may be leaning more towards a A7s.

The high iso capability and shadow recovery of the d750 is slightly bonkers. I remember completely under exposing a pic when I first got the d750 and was astonished at how you could salvage an image from it.

IMG_1470981595.211965.jpg
IMG_1470981607.577262.jpg

I cant comment on the D810 as Ive never used one. Through online research and so on I've found the D750 is often regarded as the best Nikon for low light. How big the gap between the D810 and the 750 is I just don't know. I'm sure someone on here has used both and could give a more valid perspective.

Although at the moment the D750 prices have gone up so much that I may be leaning more towards a A7s.
I know someone on the D750 that has had both D750 and D810 and said there's not a lot in it, but when I looked at ISO scores on DXO for the D810 and D800 they are the same and so it 'concerned' me that you said that low light shooting on the D800 is poor. However, looking at this the D810 does look better than the D800, but obviously not as good as the D750
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

The high iso capability and shadow recovery of the d750 is slightly bonkers. I remember completely under exposing a pic when I first got the d750 and was astonished at how you could salvage an image from it.

View attachment 71352
View attachment 71353

Yep, the shadow recovery of the D750 still impresses me (y)

Back