Nikon D800......

I think the DXO scores for the D800(810) and the D750 are done at a normalized downsampled resolution of around 8-9mp (which is how they seems to test all cameras). So I've found (having owned two D750's and currently a D810), that downsampled to around 24mp from it's native 36 for the D810, there isn't a lot in it. The D750 is slightly cleaner but the D810 better detail, but I'd be splitting hairs and would be happy with both.

I think the DXO scores for the D800(810) and the D750 are done at a normalized downsampled resolution of around 8-9mp (which is how they seems to test all cameras). So I've found (having owned two D750's and currently a D810), that downsampled to around 24mp from it's native 36 for the D810, there isn't a lot in it. The D750 is slightly cleaner but the D810 better detail, but I'd be splitting hairs and would be happy with both.

I have owned three D750's and now a D810 and like you I don't notice anything significant between the two different cameras for ISO. I have mentioned my thoughts to snerkler on the D750 thread. The D750 is a fantastic camera but if money was no issue, I would go for the D810, I just prefer it over the D750.

I mentioned on the D750 thread to stop looking at DP, IR, DXO and hire one or borrow one and make his own decision on the D810 after actually using the camera, were all different and have different expectations. Shame he wasn't closer as he could have had tried mine out.

I have owned three D750's and now a D810 and like you I don't notice anything significant between the two different cameras for ISO. I have mentioned my thoughts to snerkler on the D750 thread. The D750 is a fantastic camera but if money was no issue, I would go for the D810, I just prefer it over the D750.

I mentioned on the D750 thread to stop looking at DP, IR, DXO and hire one or borrow one and make his own decision on the D810 after actually using the camera, were all different and have different expectations. Shame he wasn't closer as he could have had tried mine out.

Thanks for the feedback. Yep Swanseajack I appreciate your comments both on the D750 thread and here. The only reason for the post on here was that I was surprised to hear that the D800 was really bad for noise. As you know, my issue with hiring the camera is that it's £77/day, not exactly throw away money. If it was that for a few days I would probably do it.

I am going to try and get my hands on a D810 to check out the ergonomics (as you know my hand's fubar) which may end up curbing my GAS anyway ;) Also, it doesn't appear as though my camera's worth as much as I'd hoped so that may put pay to the D810 too.

On a separate note I downloaded the 12800 iso test shots from DPreview for both the D750 and D810 and I found that, due to the extra sharpness of the D810 I could be a bit more 'aggressive' with the NR in post, therefore by the time I'd done that and downsampled there was little to no difference in noise between the two, and I would say that the D810 is still a touch sharper despite the heavier NR. That at least has put some concerns about noise to bed :)

Last edited:
Found this old photograph this morning when I was clearing out a cupboard upstairs. It's grainy because I remember shooting this with Kodak Tri-X 400asa 35mm b/w film, I'm guessing I shot this with a Nikon FM from (vague) memory around 2004 ish. I hand printed this myself at the time in a darkroom I had set up in our garage........oh the vivid memories, I can still smell the chemicals.

This is a crude photo I took of it with a standard lens on a tripod.

GS Adventure by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

Ok just checking only some do tend to put photos in wrong places, something I am guilty of as well by mistake,

delete.

Last edited:
Now giving serious thought about moving back to Fuji X system (yet again), I so love what the X system delivers in the way of the end result. I do/did miss it.........lots. I'm pretty sure my current Nikon D810 body and Nikon/Samyang/Sigma lens line up will be up for sale within a short period.

I'll probably be aiming for a X-T1 body, lens wise something like these; XF10-24 - XF35 - XF56 and a longer X zoom of some sort.

I'll be up for Fuji X trades against any of my Nikon kit, feel free to make me an offer. Thank you.

Cheers.

Now giving serious thought about moving back to Fuji X system (yet again), I so love what the X system delivers in the way of the end result. I do/did miss it.........lots. I'm pretty sure my current Nikon D810 body and Nikon/Samyang/Sigma lens line up will be up for sale within a short period.

I'll probably be aiming for a X-T1 body, lens wise something like these; XF10-24 - XF35 - XF56 and a longer X zoom of some sort.

I'll be up for Fuji X trades against any of my Nikon kit, feel free to make me an offer. Thank you.

Cheers.

Let me know on the Nikon 28mm I was going to buy, before you beat me to it;), providing you still have it.

Guys is the colour tones of the D800 the same as the D810?

Rejoining the D8xx fray with a D810.... ordered a Tamron 24-70 as it was my go-to landscape lens before, looking for a decent, cheap long lens that will mainly be stopped down on a tripod if I'm using it.
Thinking about the Tamron 70-300 USD which is about £220 and was excellent on my D750, anyone using it on a D800/810?

Guys is the colour tones of the D800 the same as the D810?
As near as damn is to swearing yes, there are some very subtle differences but you have to look hard. They use a different expeed engine (3 on D800 & 4 on D810) so the D810 has additional picture controls (if required) and the bayer filtration is different too.
Rejoining the D8xx fray with a D810.... ordered a Tamron 24-70 as it was my go-to landscape lens before, looking for a decent, cheap long lens that will mainly be stopped down on a tripod if I'm using it.
Thinking about the Tamron 70-300 USD which is about £220 and was excellent on my D750, anyone using it on a D800/810?
It's ok but not great ime (but I didn't have a massive play) Same goes for the Nikon 70-300.

I have the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro DG lens as a lightweight option for going out. To be honest although it lacks VC/VR I think performance wise, versus cost, it's excellent and with a semi macro mode I prefer it now over the Nikon and Tamron 70-300mm I have owned. And as a Brucy Bonus it also take the older Kenko 1.4 TC.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-apo-macro-super-dg-lens-nikon-fit/p1008565

A few shots taken with the lens and D810.

Hugo by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Hugo Portrait with Nikon D810. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Reactions: ST4
D800 at Torren Lochan

_DSC3175 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Some stunning images right there Stephen!

I've not been out and about making use of my 800E the past while, been busy with so many 'life' issues. But I did take it on holiers recently, and got a few nice snaps in Italy:

DSC_7567 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

DSC_7448 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

DSC_7307 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

DSC_7119 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

DSC_7178 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's some nice detail there Georgie Porgie! Looks to be well lit too!

Well thank you Sir, much appreciated.(y)

George.

Great guitars (I have a 1982 Strat). I like the lighting set up, it's worked very well.

Many thanks Tim, much appreciated.(y)

"I have several Fender Strats, including an original 1957 Fiesta Red with Maple Neck, and a prototype for a custom shop model originally owned & used by Hank Marvin (Shadows) in preparation for a signature model dedicated to him"

George.

Many thanks Tim, much appreciated.(y)

"I have several Fender Strats, including an original 1957 Fiesta Red with Maple Neck, and a prototype for a custom shop model originally owned & used by Hank Marvin (Shadows) in preparation for a signature model dedicated to him"

George.
I'm jealous.! That sounds like a very nice Strat. I've only the one Strat but also have a Japanese 1962 Double Bound Fender Telecaster. I saw the Shadows in Brighton back in 2005. A great night.

Back