Nikon D800......

You went for the f4 70-200 in the end then?. Been after one for the last month but could do with moving on my sigma first.

The image in the link you posted has a good representation of the difference with and without the curtain enabled. To a pixel peeper like me that's great to see :D.

Just need to get out and give it a proper go now. Looks like it might have to wait until the new year when I'm up in Glencoe and Skye for a week

You went for the f4 70-200 in the end then?. Been after one for the last month but could do with moving on my sigma first.

The image in the link you posted has a good representation of the difference with and without the curtain enabled. To a pixel peeper like me that's great to see :D.

Just need to get out and give it a proper go now. Looks like it might have to wait until the new year when I'm up in Glencoe and Skye for a week

Yep. Sootchucker pulled his off sale and I found an F4 for £760 used. By all accounts the 2.8 is the marginally better quality lens, but stopped down there is so little in it in reality and the lighter build of the f4 lens more suitable for me.

The weathers been horrific last month, not headed out at all. I hope we can get some snow down...November was good as you can see on my site

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/winter-landscape-photography-glencoe-rannoch-moor/

A good choice i think mate. No real neccesaty to use f2.8 and that extra weight is gonna be a slight inconvenience.

Will get hold one shortly, just get xmas out of the way :D.

I've seen some of your recent images in the rural/scenic mate. Looks like conditions have been fantastic with those hoar frosts and calm days. Got my fingers crossed the weather bucks up by Jan 3rd, either way, I will venture up and give it my best shot :)

A good choice i think mate. No real neccesaty to use f2.8 and that extra weight is gonna be a slight inconvenience.

Will get hold one shortly, just get xmas out of the way :D.

I've seen some of your recent images in the rural/scenic mate. Looks like conditions have been fantastic with those hoar frosts and calm days. Got my fingers crossed the weather bucks up by Jan 3rd, either way, I will venture up and give it my best shot :)

Fingers crossed for you. I hope it improves. I just want the snow back...badly.

As usual Steve, some crackers again.

Thanks, I still have 1 D800 and will be using it as normal but the new D810 is on it's way. It will be interesting to see how much better the 810 is. The D800 is an absolute class act. There is no way I would want less than the 36mp for the landscapes. The files are a joy to work with.

Thanks, I still have 1 D800 and will be using it as normal but the new D810 is on it's way. It will be interesting to see how much better the 810 is. The D800 is an absolute class act. There is no way I would want less than the 36mp for the landscapes. The files are a joy to work with.

Be interested to see your views on how much better the d810 is. I love the d800 for portraits. Only possibly bettered by having a digital medium format camera!!

The D810 has a significantly quieter shutter, clearer menus on screen and the live view is a lot faster responding when zooming in. The only other difference that is noticeable is that the D810 has superior resolution with no AA filter. No idea how resolution compares with a D800E though, probably too similar to tell apart.

Noise performance is similar, but if you are shooting exposures longer than 30 seconds, the D810 (or at least mine) must have long exposure noise reduction enabled else I end up with images covered with coloured sparkles. The D800 has no such trouble. Mine was not subject to any recalls regarding this issue and I rarely shoot long exposures so it's a non issue for me.

Shot this when I went to llyn Padarn D810 AFS-VR 16-35mm f4.0
Oh and thank you guys for your help in the detailed instructions to the spot :) Really appreciate it :)(y)

llyn Padarn by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Last edited:
Shot this when I went to llyn Padarn D810 AFS-VR 16-35mm f4.0
Oh and thank you guys for your help in the detailed instructions to the spot :) Really appreciate it :)(y)

llyn Padarn by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

That's very nice Sir, good mono conversion with some punchy tones in the highlights & shadows, good comp, and a great sky.(y)

George.

Used the d800 again today alongside my MF bronica.

I just forget how great a camera it is. I've been lusting after the sigma 85 art but used the nikkor 85 f1.8 again today - it's just a lovely pairing! I'll post some up later when I've gone through them.

The D810 has a significantly quieter shutter, clearer menus on screen and the live view is a lot faster responding when zooming in. The only other difference that is noticeable is that the D810 has superior resolution with no AA filter. No idea how resolution compares with a D800E though, probably too similar to tell apart.

Noise performance is similar, but if you are shooting exposures longer than 30 seconds, the D810 (or at least mine) must have long exposure noise reduction enabled else I end up with images covered with coloured sparkles. The D800 has no such trouble. Mine was not subject to any recalls regarding this issue and I rarely shoot long exposures so it's a non issue for me.
I have shot exposures of up to 4 minutes with my D810 and don't have lenr turned on - not seen any problems.

Sounds like yours may have the long exposure thermal noise issue reported by Nikon.

Early D810s suffered from the problem and Nikon fixed the problem for free

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-...ice-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D810.html

Last edited:
I checked it using that back when I first got it. It still claims that my camera is unaffected.

Mine was reported as having the problem - but had already been fixed and had the black dot in the tripod mount. So Nikon do make mistakes ;)

You seem to be experiencing the exact problem they reported.

Last edited:
First images of 2017. The Nikon D800 goes to Clevedon and to Bristol

Bristol

_DSC0215 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Clevedon

_DSC0204 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0203 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0183 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I love the D800 and it loves landscapes.

Lovely set, and 1 would be my choice if I had to pick............an area I have driven around many times in the past, although many years ago, but this photo is something else for me and to see it like the way you have presented just works.(y)

This Thread has been too quiet

The D800 goes to Rattray Head

_DSC0235 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0303 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The D800 then goes to Skye

_DSC0319 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0327 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The D800 then passes the torch onto the D810...

_DSC0099 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0102 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Do we have a D810 thread or can I just post on here. I still have the D800 but it took on a fair soaking and I don't think it is long for this world....hence the D810 is here.

This Thread has been too quiet

The D800 goes to Rattray Head

_DSC0235 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0303 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The D800 then goes to Skye

_DSC0319 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0327 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The D800 then passes the torch onto the D810...

_DSC0099 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0102 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Do we have a D810 thread or can I just post on here. I still have the D800 but it took on a fair soaking and I don't think it is long for this world....hence the D810 is here.
D810 owners have been using this thread, although I haven't posted much lately along with others.

From the other side. I did remember my ND and polariser. (this was taken last year)
Pontsticill by Kyle, on Flickr
Nice Kyle, The side you took the photo from had barriers and as I'm not steady decided not have a look from there. Luckily I'm tall enough to see over the wall to take my photo!

I found the place a mare to find as my built in satnav didn't recognise the postcode I used, and I think I found it by luck. Is there an easy way into the place from the Heads of Valley Road?

Follow the signs for the Brecon mountain railway in Pant, the junction off the A465 looks like it's in to an industrial estate. You take a left past immediately after turning off and follow to the next junction then a right and follow that road. It should be a left turn in Pant village then you keep going past the station car park and you end up in Pontsticill village. There wasn't any fencing when I took that shot a year ago.

Follow the signs for the Brecon mountain railway in Pant, the junction off the A465 looks like it's in to an industrial estate. You take a left past immediately after turning off and follow to the next junction then a right and follow that road. It should be a left turn in Pant village then you keep going past the station car park and you end up in Pontsticill village. There wasn't any fencing when I took that shot a year ago.

Thanks Kyle, Bookmarked this page as we will probably take a run up next weekend for another look.

When we came out of the reservoir we took the Brecon road back to head home over the Swansea Valley as we came up the Neath Valley. There was some stunning landscape opportunities but as it was pouring down we didn't bother stopping. So it's om list to go back too, as I try to get more experience in landscapes.

There are some cracking waterfalls up the neath valley from pontneddfechan too.

how many pixels do you get when you use crop mode on the d800 ?

So many variables.... from the manual -

D800_pixels.jpg

Back