Nikon D800......

im not to keen on this at present ,but will see how it really preforms at high iso.

this seems like the biggest worry though

"The large capture can make the camera sensitive to vibration more than smaller cameras, requiring faster shutter speeds or a tripod. Even in the studio with flash, I used a tripod on shots done with a 200mm F/2 lens."
http://weblog.robvanpetten.com/archive/nikon-d800

A hastily-made comment taken out of context. What I meant was - and perhaps should have been more explicit about - that there is, for some people, an insatiable desire for higher and higher ISO capabilities when in some situations flash could be the solution.

Agreed - even if ISO went up to the equivalent of the national debt I'd still be using flash for the kind of look only flash can give you. I.e:-

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=384920

But at a wedding where flash is often the last thing you want, the higher ISO the better.

Although, it must also be said that with ISO we really don't know how lucky we are. Not long ago ISO/ASA of 1600 was your limit and only then if you really had to. It does worry me sometimes that these really high ISO's are taking away some of the skill of some types of photography and making us all artificially "better" as a result. Maybe a discussion for another day…...

Nope. I don't have the skill to get the most out of my D700.....

I know that feeling :LOL:

I have the gear, the books and still haven't a clue :confused:

Digital depot offering the D800 for £1499 when trading in your D700.

ryanyboy said:
So does that mean they are offering £900 for the D700?

I suppose it must..

£2399 on its own so yep, just £900

It's not bad for £2399 then. Earlier we were thinking it might be a grand more than that.

Just downloaded one of the full res images....... STUNNING!!!

Don't be sorry; you've just reinforced my point. When my D300 was my main camera, I was uncomfortable with the noise over 1600 ISO so I wanted to learn how to use flash properly to keep the ISO down but get enough light into the scene.

I know what you mean... it just made me chuckle, especially when Ryan is a very accomplished user of flash.

Just downloaded one of the full res images....... STUNNING!!!

quality :)

thats why I want more pixels on Nikon :nuts:

reminds me of looking in to an eye of a guy in a photo I took on 5d2 :)

click here go for largest and look on his eye..what can you see :) here

I understand the need for 2 card slots but what it the advantage of having an SD and a CF slot ?

1. SDs are cheaper and are getting better
2. Eye-fi wifi transfer
3. A theoretical possibility to make a few digital-only sales on the street to somebody with their own cheap P&S and an SD card.

Agreed - even if ISO went up to the equivalent of the national debt I'd still be using flash for the kind of look only flash can give you. I.e:-

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=384920

But at a wedding where flash is often the last thing you want, the higher ISO the better.

Although, it must also be said that with ISO we really don't know how lucky we are. Not long ago ISO/ASA of 1600 was your limit and only then if you really had to. It does worry me sometimes that these really high ISO's are taking away some of the skill of some types of photography and making us all artificially "better" as a result. Maybe a discussion for another day…...

That's kind of what I was getting at: newer and 'better' gear to get the shot that - in some cases - could be got with existing gear and the development of skill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a luddite - and if money was no object I would most likely have the very latest stuff - but a lot of people spend more time lusting after gear and thinking about how much better they would be if they had X, Y and Z than working on their technique. I understand that, because I was like that for a long time.

You’d think they would have just gone for 2 SD slots if it was just a space issue but I can’t think of any other advantage though. Maybe they think if you can afford to buy the camera you can afford to buy 2 different types of cards :)

I'd quite like that in the D700. CF for storing my images and SD to install an eyefy card for wireless :D

Compare these two similarly framed portraits - full res samples from Canon 1Dx (18mp) and Nikon D800 (36mp). Doesn't look anything in it to me, D800 is certainly not twice as good. They're both incredibly sharp, but 36mp asks a lot of questions of all aspects in the imaging chain...

Warning - big files!

D800
http://chsv.nikon-image.com/products/camera/slr/digital/d800/img/sample01/img_06_l.jpg

Canon 1Dx
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos1dx/downloads/001.jpg

BTW, D800 is not a replacement for the D700, which continues. The door is still wide open for a D700 replacement, and an upgrade for the D300 too at a lower price.

Last edited:
I've got loads of books but looking at my photos I'm thinking that owning the books is in itself not working at some point I’m going to have to actually read them. :)

I just read them, then cut out and scan their pictures on to photo paper an then make out that they were my own - works a treat esp to impress people :LOL:

I just have to be in the mood to read them, then when I do I remember it all and then start skipping pages & then when it comes down to putting it all in practice - I forget it all :confused: :bang:

Still want a mini D4 really. Would gladly sacrifice MP's for more FPS and ISO capability.

Just looking at Nikons site regarding the D800 & the D800E - its seems that you get Nikons Capture NX2 with the D800E but not with the D800 ...... Why :shrug:

At that price, I can't see me moving from Canon to Nikon any time soon!
Shame, I was hoping it to be closer to D700 pricing!

YES !!! 36.3 MILLION PIXELS . ONLY 4 FPS THOUGH . How do you think this will add up in place of a DX format 16mp body ?....... You loose the x1.5 but a 50% bit of cropping would still leave you with 18mp image !!

Just looking at Nikons site regarding the D800 & the D800E - its seems that you get Nikons Capture NX2 with the D800E but not with the D800 ...... Why :shrug:

Because otherwise they are charging you extra for removing a bit of the camera. :LOL:

I think theres some clever software fudge involved to fix moire issues from leaving out the AA filter ?

Ricky said:
At that price, I can't see me moving from Canon to Nikon any time soon!
Shame, I was hoping it to be closer to D700 pricing!

This is only £150 more then the d700 rrp

Price & Availability:

D800 body only: £2,399.99 inc. VAT
Sales start date: 22nd March 2012

D800E body only: £2,689.99 inc. VAT
Sales start date: 12th April 2012

Note: Apparently, the higher price of the D800E is due to its greater cost of production, and anticipated lower production volume.

MB-D12 Battery Pack: £379.99 inc. VAT.

It has a low pass filter without AA properties I believe is the official line.

Back