Nikon D800......

That's good to know AchimT. I'm not up to that many exposures yet but so far things are looking good. I'm glad I switched from the d600.

That's good to know AchimT. I'm not up to that many exposures yet but so far things are looking good. I'm glad I switched from the d600.
I switched from the D600 too. I read a report recently from someone who is now at 20000 (yes, twenty) exposures and seems to only be getting the odd oily spot every now and then now. I applaud that person for his/her patience.

AAMOF I always liked the D600 more because it is smaller, the files are smaller, and diffraction kicks in a tad later. But the D800 has a much better AF, no sensor contamination issues, a stronger built-in flash, an even better set of direct-access buttons to control often needed functions, so in the end I think I won't go back to the D600 even though I still have it (waiting for a fix from Nikon for the oil issues). I think I'll sell it later this year.

Regarding the D800, I just thought I'd post this little report because I keep seeing questions regarding oil on the sensor for the D800, and thought it may be interesting for those who asked to see that a D800 from a more recent series is oil free.

Regarding the D800, I just thought I'd post this little report because I keep seeing questions regarding oil on the sensor for the D800, and thought it may be interesting for those who asked to see that a D800 from a more recent series is oil free.

I didn't think that the D800 ever had a problem with oil spots? I have had my D800 well over 12 months and have never had an oil spot - the odd dust bunny but no oil.

None of my friends' D800's have had any oil spots either; I'm fairly sure that was an issue with D600 due to the shutter mechanism, though probably someone will come along to prove me wrong.

Only just bought my D800 and was considering the D600 also, I read extensively before buying the D800 and the only model that had any mention of oil spots was the D600... the posts are read which mentioned the D800 together with oil spots were just asking if it had been affected the same

Simon

I posted my little report for those asking that question.

But if you look at the links I posted above, you'll see that some users also reported oil spots on their D800s.

I looked at those posts on DP review and Nikon rumours - there are very few posters on the dp review site with an issue, and posts on Nikon Rumours point to very non-specific spots to say the least.

... and if you look at the Peter Gregg method of cleaning your sensor, especially the video of Peter doing it, you may as well throw your camera in the dishwasher to clean the sensor!

My personal opinion is still that oil spots as a common problem on D800 sensors is purely down to hype on the internet following on from the real oil-spot issues with the D600 sensors. As usual I expect lots of posts have been made by people who possess neither of the cameras, but have read about it!

All IMHO of course.

Plenty of dust bunnies here but no oil. Had it cleaned a few weeks ago - one drawback of shooting in the desert!

I looked at those posts on DP review and Nikon rumours - there are very few posters on the dp review site with an issue, and posts on Nikon Rumours point to very non-specific spots to say the least.
Right or not, the rumours exist, and hence also potential buyers who worry about it. Which is why I posted my little report - to tell those worrying potential buyers that I had no issues.

My personal opinion is still that oil spots as a common problem on D800 sensors is purely down to hype on the internet following on from the real oil-spot issues with the D600 sensors.
Well, some may have had oil spots, but it definitely was never an issue on the same level as it is with the D600. But since there are people talking and worrying about it, I thought it's a good idea to report that indeed there were no issues with my camera. Implying that probably, there are no such issues with D800's purchased now.

... and if you look at the Peter Gregg method of cleaning your sensor, especially the video of Peter doing it, you may as well throw your camera in the dishwasher to clean the sensor!
I was also waiting for him to spit at the sensor and then get out the microfibre cloth to clean it :)

I've found a good way to clean the sensor is to first use a good loupe (the VisibleDust one works extremely well for me), check for visible impurities, then use a Rocketblower like he shows in the video. If there are still particles on the sensor, the next step should be a sensor cleaning brush carrying a static charge, and a soft movement to one direction across the sensor to allow the brush to pick up those specks. If this swipe didn't get them all, try to renew the static charge and do another careful swipe.

If that also was not enough, I use the Pentax sensor cleaning tool. As opposed to the tool used in the Lensrentals video, the Pentax tool only affects a small area of the sensor. Easier to use than a Lenspen, but much more accurate than a big stamping tool.

I also have a small vacuum cleaner setup (not the household variety) to remove specks.

If all of the above fails, then wet cleaning is required. I usually do a very careful first swipe to moisten the sensor, applying almost no pressure. If this swipe didn't do the trick, I use a new swab and swipe again.

This procedure has so far always worked. Even on the D600 :)

The reason I wrote the post was not to deny the existence of any oil spots on any D800's, but to make potential purchasers aware that oil spots have not been an issue for D800's to the extent they have for D600's. There will be the odd D800 with oil spots, but there will also be the odd 5D and 1Dx with oil spots.

With the D600's, oil spots were almost to be expected on all sensors, which is different. I just didn't think your report helped the situation, and also that the examples quoted did not add much to support or otherwise.

well ive had my D800 since about 5 minutes after they were released to the shops on day 1 and never cleaned the sensor. Ive just left it to whatever it does as you power on and off and ive never noticed anything.

I have had to give mine a good clean. Bought a visibledust clean kit and 2 swabs got rid of all specs. So I know it was just stubborn dust, not oil, or I'd have had to get their specific kit for oil to clear it all. Mine is heading for a year old.

Either way, if you do experience oil spots on your D800, it's that simple. Buy the kit for oil specs, it's about £20, use all swabs if needed [got 4 with mine] and you should be good.

Last edited:
macvisual said:
Some advice guys please, I'm thinking about changing to Nikon from Canon. Quite fancy buying a used D800 body etc.
Or are there any other full-frame Nikon's to look at without spending mega bucks? I don't shoot sports photography.

Can you point me to any D800 forums to views different images shot with a D800 please.

Appreciated.

Hi there

Have a look on Flickr, there are a few d800 groups there. The majority of my recent pics are with my d800 so feel free to have a look (it's in my signature)

Look at the d600 and possibly the older d700 (older, less MP but a gem of a camera)

S

A bit of help needed, when shooting in Aperture priority my D800 underexpose by a fair amount.
I shoot mostly in manual now or really have to use the exp comp a lot.

I had much the same problem, after much googling it seemed that the issue may be connected with the Active D-lighting setting and not using Nikon software in post processing, even if only shooting in raw. I know that in my case simply turning Active D-lighting off has resulted in much better exposed files.

Regards,

Iain

I had much the same problem, after much googling it seemed that the issue may be connected with the Active D-lighting setting and not using Nikon software in post processing, even if only shooting in raw. I know that in my case simply turning Active D-lighting off has resulted in much better exposed files.

Regards,

Iain

I look into it, thank you

A bit of help needed, when shooting in Aperture priority my D800 underexpose by a fair amount.

Hi, If you have Active D Lighting switched on then try switching it off. I had the same problem and did just that. No more problem.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Sorry I meant to add this to my last post.

Active D Lighting works by cutting the exposure to the highlights to save them from burning out, and tries to boost the dark tones. This compresses the range of tones in the image and in turn gives the effect of under exposure. These tones can then be recovered to a more suitable balance with P/P.

Hope this helps.

I'm now moving from the Canon club and aim to pick up a mint/used Nikon D800 within the next month or so.

Anything to be aware off regards the D800 guys n' gals ? I mainly shoot landscapes and still life.

Read through this thread, Peter. It is all here. Amazing potential in the D800. If you want the best from it then use the best lenses and make sure that your camera handling/stability practice is up to scratch.

I'm very new to Nikon, so which 50mm lens is the one to buy? And which Nikkor landscape lens gets a good reputation........? What about the Nikkor 16-35mm for quality landscapes attached to the D800 ??

Thanks in advance.

(peter)

That lens has an excellent reputation.
So do the f1.4 and f1.8 50mm and 85mm Nikkors. For landscape work you will rarely shoot with the lens wide open therefore you can save money by going for the f1.8 models

So do the f1.4 and f1.8 50mm and 85mm Nikkors.
+1
I have both the 50mm f1.8 G and the 85mm f1.8 G, and they are good.

I also have the Sigma 35mm which takes brilliant and sharp pictures, but seems to have focussing issues for many users (albeit not for all), so it probably should be bought in a store where you can test and return it easily.

The focussing issues are not necessarily easily visible at screen resolution. But they are at fullsize 36Mp resolution.

There is also a very good 28mm f1.8 G from Nikon, but I read it suffers from focus shift issues, so that also should be carefully tested before it is purchased.

Anyone use a D800 along with a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZF lens ?? I'd guess this would be an amazing set-up for landscape work.

I'd love to see any images of this combination if possible, thanks.

(Peter)

I was after that lens for a bit. But decided I don't take enough landscapes to justify buying it, even used. I think Laudrup, a regular member here, uses one.

Anyone use a D800 along with a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZF lens ?? I'd guess this would be an amazing set-up for landscape work.

I'd love to see any images of this combination if possible, thanks.

(Peter)

Cagey is right I use one. It's definitely a lens to consider for landscape and renders nicely with that Zeiss colour. Someone on here had one for sale at £750 which was a great price for this lens.

Looking on flickr and a few other sites is what sold me on the lens:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=D800+zeiss+21mm

Cagey is right I use one. It's definitely a lens to consider for landscape and renders nicely with that Zeiss colour. Someone on here had one for sale at £750 which was a great price for this lens.

Tbh, I was buying it, but something came up and my budget died :(

+1
I have both the 50mm f1.8 G and the 85mm f1.8 G, and they are good.

I also have the Sigma 35mm which takes brilliant and sharp pictures, but seems to have focussing issues for many users (albeit not for all), so it probably should be bought in a store where you can test and return it easily.

The focussing issues are not necessarily easily visible at screen resolution. But they are at fullsize 36Mp resolution.

There is also a very good 28mm f1.8 G from Nikon, but I read it suffers from focus shift issues, so that also should be carefully tested before it is purchased.

I have those three lenses too - first rate.

Just a little caveat to the lens issues... I wholeheartedly agree to get the very best out of the D800 quality glass excels, however I was out with my lad the other week waiting for Foxes and saw this sunset brewing as we waited... Not having the correct lens with me I pinched my sons Sigma 28-70mm 2.8 to take a few shots. Now I have to be honest I wasn't expecting much but after processing the image I was very pleasantly surprised... So I guess I'm saying don't be put off buying the D800 because you don't own a top end lens, the key with this camera is keeping it still........ Click on image for large version

Hi, If you have Active D Lighting switched on then try switching it off. I had the same problem and did just that. No more problem.

Hope this helps.

The alternative is to leave Active D-Lighting switched on in the camera and if necessary turn it off later in Capture NX2 (there's an off/on switch just below Noise Reduction in the 'Camera Settings' section).

In theory, turning it off in NX2 should be exactly the same as not having switched it on in the camera.

.....(there's an off/on switch just below Noise Reduction in the 'Camera Settings' section).

The switch in NX2 is a bit more than a simple off/on choice - it's got all of these options:

• Unchanged (i.e. keep camera setting)
  • Off
  • Low
  • Normal
  • High
  • Extra High 1
  • Extra High 2

...don't be put off buying the D800 because you don't own a top end lens
Nice picture, and I agree to what you say about lenses. For the first 6 weeks I exclusively used a 24-85mm f2.8-4 D zoom, and I have very little regrets. Sharpness or whatever isn't everything, you just have to go with the characteristics of a lens. Sometimes a less sharp lens, or one with a heavy vignette, can create very interesting pictures.

I continue to be impressed with the D800's dynamic range I would normally shoot this kind on thing on the D700 with 3 or 5 exposure HDR to capture all the detail. This are single exposure processed in LR5.

p1770938038-4.jpg

p1855641284-4.jpg

This one wouldn't quiet stretch far enough and I had to layer in a shorter exposure for the bar front in the background.

p1745234015-4.jpg

Back