Nikon D800......

unlabeled button on the AF/M switch just above the FX symbol ;) Hold it in while turning the rear wheel.

Thank you lol, but the ingrained D3s controls have me looking elsewhere.... bloody stupid place to put it imho :)

Looking to buy a D800 in a few weeks time. Does anyone have the Thom Hogan e-Book for the D800 that they would like to part with
Thanks
Dave

no probs just bought it

I've neverbought any of those type books. I see them a bit like glorified manuals. If TH can figure the camera out just playing with it, then so can you with patience ;)

Well I bought the Sigma 35mm f1.4 last week. I need to sort the AF adjust thingy/whatever as its every so slightly out like all my other lenses I put on my D800 :LOL:

Looking forward to having a play with it though when I do so, I have a feeling it may take awhile to nail it wide open.

Thanks for the link, Gary. I have seen good reports about the Meike grip but looking through the Nikon Magazine at my local store saw the Gloxy grip which also had a good write up.
Dave

Any recommendations on a wired shutter release for the D800 that i can get before Friday? :D The YONGNUO MC-36R looks about right, but the only place i can find it is on eBay and no guarantee i can get it by Friday, grrr. Ta

Any recommendations on a wired shutter release for the D800 that i can get before Friday? :D The YONGNUO MC-36R looks about right, but the only place i can find it is on eBay and no guarantee i can get it by Friday, grrr. Ta

I got a 7Dayshop copy of the Nikon MC-36 which I've been very happy with. It is a wired version, which I use for Timelapses with a D200. I have a Phottix Plato as a wireless remote control.

It depends on how you plan to use it. If it is just as a wireless remote, then you can get smaller options. If you are planning to do something timed, be aware that there are two sets of batteries that have the potential to fail. A wireless version of the MC-36 wasn't available when I got the Phottix or the 7Dayshop MC-36, but I wouldn't have got a wireless MC-36 to replace the two remotes I have, because I would not trust a wireless system to do a timelapse with two sets of batteries having the possibly to affect the signal should either set of batteries start to lose power.

All remotes have got a lot cheaper over the years thankfully, so it is not as big an investment as it used to be, with the wireless remotes really coming down in price.

Last edited:
Just picked a D800 up today it's really showing up my poor technique :(

Took delivery of my d800 today. Nervous about shooting with it on the weekend but also excited.

Well the first wow moment was looking through that massive viewfinder. Thanks, hopefully I get something worth keeping.

It felt like someone took the blinkers off when I went from crop to full frame. What lenses are you using?

What exactly is that 'bad technique'? I'm not asking to argue or brag (later on :) ), I really wonder. I also came back to photography after a long break and then a few years with only a cheap digital compact.

I actually quite like the results, and I wonder, what is for example 'bad technique' that I should try to avoid?

Just bought a D800 from John Lewis they price matched and got a 3rd year Warranty for £35
So really pleased......moving up from a D700
Is there any shortcuts or weird functions I should know about.
Hope to read through as many of the previous posts as possible to pick up tips and vibes on the camera
Cheers
Dave

PS collected the camera tonight and informed by JL that they are now giving a 2 year warranty on all electrical goods including cameras

Last edited:
My serial number is 611****** so do you think I need to check for a left AF focus issue or is this now more or less resolved.
If I do need to check what is the best way......any advice greatly appreciated.
Dave

Thanks Peter will give it a go

Looking for some help here please.
Just taken one image with my new camera and new CF card and the camera is recoding 46 images so obviously 45 images have been recoded with the camera previously.....waiting for John Lewis to get back to me.
I am right in thinking that the camera should have only recorded 1 image taken or am I having a Senior Moment here!!,
Thanks
Dave

Looking for some help here please.
Just taken one image with my new camera and new CF card and the camera is recoding 46 images so obviously 45 images have been recoded with the camera previously.....waiting for John Lewis to get back to me.
I am right in thinking that the camera should have only recorded 1 image taken or am I having a Senior Moment here!!,
Thanks
Dave

that will be the shutter test done by Nikon as part of Q and A. I won't worry about it.

Xing - but all my previous new cameras have had 1 image taken on the first count.
I always put a new CF card in a new camera for this reason.
thanks Gary will give it a shot.....The CF card was formatted before it went in the card so presume it is OK just to download the one image
just done the test and now its coming up as 79 shutter counts on....bizarre
thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Do as Gary says to eliminate any historical card info and check with myshuttercount - 45 is not right if it isn't simply a card data issue.

Xing - but all my previous new cameras have had 1 image taken on the first count.
I always put a new CF card in a new camera for this reason.
thanks Gary will give it a shot.....The CF card was formatted before it went in the card so presume it is OK just to download the one image
thanks
Dave

while they don't test all of the cameras. yours could be the one they choosed. was the box sealed?

I don't think any Nikon boxes are ''sealed'' mine was not.
JL have agreed to exchange it so will do that tonight
Gramps - the card was formatted a few times before installing it, both by using the 2 button on the camera method and then by going into the Menu.
Thanks
Dave
Ps - another question please....if I put this new CF card into another camera will it now show 46 clicks on the new camera??

Last edited:
....if I put this new CF card into another camera will it now show 46 clicks on the new camera??

The shutter count is embedded in the image's exif data by the camera - any images already on the card should be irrelevant. So if you put the card in a second camera and take a shot the exif for that shot should show the shutter count of the second camera.

Thanks mate I was not aware of that fact, even at my age you can learn something every day
Appreciate your help
Dave

Dave - try Irfanview for checking the camera's shutter count. It's free - http://www.irfanview.com/.

Shutter count is called 'Total Pictures' in Irfanview. You'll find it in Image menu/Information/Exif Info button - scroll down to the 9th item from the bottom (8th item not counting the line 'Thumbnail:').

Last edited:
Back