Nikon D800......

I continue to be impressed with the D800's dynamic range I would normally shoot this kind on thing on the D700 with 3 or 5 exposure HDR to capture all the detail. This are single exposure processed in LR5.

Those are pretty nice for single exposures :) Love the DR on my 800.

Is the wall over the fruit machines in shot 1 as noisy as it looks or is that a web thing?

ah5168, I'm still a DSLR newbie, so apologies for asking, but would you mind sharing the camera settings and PP steps/settings you used to create these images?

They're indeed very nice, and I'm curious about the settings (also which lens you used).

Thanks in advance!

Is the wall over the fruit machines in shot 1 as noisy as it looks or is that a web thing?

It's not noise, the wall at the back there is painted in a kind of textured paint, the blue light shining up from the back of the fruit machines brings out the texture.

Rob, very impressive, superb images....! wOw

I should be picking up my D800 within the next few weeks.

You mention 'DR', is this were the D800 can shoot two frames in a single shutter release (1 over exposed/1 under) and combine to create a wider dynamic range ??

I'm still learning about this brilliant camera....
No, thats the in camera setting for HDR, DR is the dynamic range of the camera when taking a single exposure.

Dynamic Range(DR) is the ability of the sensor to capture shadow and highlight details at the same time. The sensor on the D800 is very good at doing that.At least that is my understanding.

Dynamic Range(DR) is the ability of the sensor to capture shadow and highlight details at the same time. The sensor on the D800 is very good at doing that.At least that is my understanding.

Yes, it is what the sensor is basically capable of. For Gary's info, it is not something that can be turned on or off or otherwise adjusted.

Just noticed my D800 has 2 buttons adjacent to the lens mount on the right hand side, with the lens pointing away from you. LOL One of these buttons has Fc but nothing on the other. when I press one of them I just get a click, when I press the other I get a set of bars down the right hand side of the view finder, what is this for??.

One is the depth of field preview button - the other (bottom - marked Fn) is the function button which is assignable.

Just noticed my D800 has 2 buttons adjacent to the lens mount on the right hand side, with the lens pointing away from you. LOL One of these buttons has Fc but nothing on the other. when I press one of them I just get a click, when I press the other I get a set of bars down the right hand side of the view finder, what is this for??.

The bars at the side and bottom are the virtual horizon. If you tilt the camera sideways you will see the bottom one change and if you tilt it forward (lens down) or back the side bars will change. The non labelled button gives you depth of field preview, thats the clicking sound it is the lens aperture changing to your selected value. Other buttons can have their function changed as well to do what you choose. Also you can create your own menu to give you fast access to the features you use most. The manual is so big it takes ages to remember everything this camera can do.

The bars at the side and bottom are the virtual horizon. If you tilt the camera sideways you will see the bottom one change and if you tilt it forward (lens down) or back the side bars will change. The non labelled button gives you depth of field preview, thats the clicking sound it is the lens aperture changing to your selected value. Other buttons can have their function changed as well to do what you choose. Also you can create your own menu to give you fast access to the features you use most. The manual is so big it takes ages to remember everything this camera can do.

Thanks for your replies.

I see the bars top and bottom changing with camera movement, but what should I see when I press the DOF button??

Not being funny, but a lot of questions relating to the controls, of the camera you have bought - can be answered simply by RTFM!!

Ok, nobody reads manuals anymore, but a quick google for the specific control you're trying to figure out usually does the trick ;)

Most of us just ... play with the thing, soon as we get it, and don't stop until we know most of the ins and outs of it, backwards! that's what I suggest. Sit down with it for a few hours, have a nice cuppa, and really get to know it.

Not being funny, but a lot of questions relating to the controls, of the camera you have bought - can be answered simply by RTFM!!

Ok, nobody reads manuals anymore, but a quick google for the specific control you're trying to figure out usually does the trick ;)

Most of us just ... play with the thing, soon as we get it, and don't stop until we know most of the ins and outs of it, backwards! that's what I suggest. Sit down with it for a few hours, have a nice cuppa, and really get to know it.
Tooke me bleeding ages to figure out how to change between AF-S and AF-C

That is, surprisingly, one of the hardest to figure out :D As that button isn't marked. Once you've nailed that one, you know your D800!

.. what should I see when I press the DOF button??

The lens will shut down to the aperture you've set - so you can see what will be in focus and what won't.

At least that's the theory. In practice, the viewfinder goes so dark it's almost impossible to tell anything about focus. I find the DOF preview fairly useless and usually assign the button to something else.

I find the DOF preview button quite useful when you have a flash gun fitted, as you can zap a flash of light at anyone that annoys you for a few seconds by pressing it! :LOL:

As has been said the manual is not that easy and being a dumbo I also find that to be so.

The lens will shut down to the aperture you've set - so you can see what will be in focus and what won't.

At least that's the theory. In practice, the viewfinder goes so dark it's almost impossible to tell anything about focus. I find the DOF preview fairly useless and usually assign the button to something else.

Um thats what I thought should happen, but my viewfinder does not darken. Suppose it could be me not seeing it right.

As has been said the manual is not that easy and being a dumbo I also find that to be so.

Trouble with the Nikon manual is that whilst it describes everything the camera can do it it does not say why and that does not help users to understand. Get one of the well acclaimed books. My Preference for Nikon cameras has always been David Busch's publications. Huge tomes, but superbly detailed and illustrated.

That is, surprisingly, one of the hardest to figure out :D As that button isn't marked. Once you've nailed that one, you know your D800!

Obviously I don't because I still have to look for the bloody thing :)

Back