Nikon D800......

Great shot. Out of interest have you printed it and if so at what size? I have had a few cheap test prints done recently at 18x12 and they look very nice, even taken with a lowly 50mm 1.8d.

As a second point, it is amazing how wide a 50mm lens is on a full frame camera coming from only having used crop sensor digital and never really used a 35mm film camera before.

I haven't printed this shot on the count that the pier is clad in restoration rigging but if I were to print it it would be at least 150cm on the long side. This is the reason why I need to redo the shot, now that the work has finished.

I haven't printed this shot on the count that the pier is clad in restoration rigging but if I were to print it it would be at least 150cm on the long side. This is the reason why I need to redo the shot, now that the work has finished.

I decided to print out one even though the restoration was still underway... it was such a spectacular storm-brewing sky that I couldn't resist it :D

Clevedon Pier by photogramps, on Flickr

Some very nice shots on your Flickr stream Digifrog. I really must dust off my ND filterand put my tripod to some use too!

Thanks Duncan, I wasn't sure at first as the pier was so small a part but in the end I thought that it served to emphasize the power of the elements :)

It is interesting to see 2 different takes on the one location. B&W definitely suits both too.

Is the colour cast in auto white balance fixed? The green/yellow tint?

Where these fixed via firmware updates? Also in the US new versions of this camera apparently no longer display the left focus issue, is this also the case for uk?

Thanks guys

Not heard much about the left focus issue for a while, it's not something I'd worry about unless I was buying a used example.

Is the colour cast in auto white balance fixed? The green/yellow tint?

Where these fixed via firmware updates? Also in the US new versions of this camera apparently no longer display the left focus issue, is this also the case for uk?

Thanks guys

I can't say I've noticed a colour cast. White balance isn't fixed if you shoot RAW anyway.

Mine never had the left focus issue either. I think they'll have fixed the left focus thing by now though.

Some of the LCDs had reported greenish tint problems, again not something you hear about much now. I'd buy with confidence from a reputable dealer.

Can you guys list the main lenses you're using with the D800?

I'm in 2 minds about certain lenses, and thinking on a switch up, I'm interested to know what everyone else is using, what they couldn't do without, their favourite lens overall and what they would never stick on there?

Thanks.

have used the fallowing on mine

50mm 1.8G
85 1.4G
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8 vr2 all nikon

probably used the 24-70 the most as it made a great walk about lens when i was on holiday.
then the 50 and 85 after that my 70-200 has had least use.

my favourite is the 85 though its not the most practical.

50mm f/1.4G (for city walkabouts)
24-70 f/2.8G (landscape)
16-35 f/4G (beachscape)

The 24-70 is the most used (75%) then the 16-35 (20%) then the 50 (5%) ish.

I just sold my 50mm 1.8G, I want to have at least one 1.4 lens in my bag. I've also sold an sb900 to help fund it.

I have:

24-70 2.8
105mm micro
70-200 VRII

I really like the look of the new sigma 35 1.4, but that crosses over the 24-70. Would I be mad to sell that, get the 35, and maybe something like the tokina 16-28 for wide angle?

I'm a bit fussy like that, I hate crossing over focal lengths. It can mean one lens gets left out a lot of the time, and seems a waste. The 105mm hasn't seen much use since I bought the 70-200. I've considered selling that too.I don't do much macro, and a set of tubes with a prime would do the job for whenever I fancy doing some.Usually only in the late spring/summer when bugs are in abundance.

What to do ...

How have you found the 105mm micro cagey?

I'm weighing up potential micro/portrait lenses and thats one of the ones near the top along with the Sigma's.

The Voigtlander 90mm is tempting aswell while its still in stock some places, partly lens lust I spose but I do tend more towards flower macro rather than beasties that need full 1/1 plus the small size would be an advanatge as my Canon 100mm macro tended to be the first lens left behind.

The 105 is excellent, both for macro and portraiture, but it's been gathering dust a little since I got the 70-200. Time of year factors in there too though, I mostly go about shooting some macro in the spring/summer - much more going on outside, more colours and bugs and creepy crawlies :D

I like to do this kind of thing:

Honey Bee by Cagey75, on Flickr

Hoverfly on poppy by Cagey75, on Flickr

Those were shot with the D90 + 105.

Not actually done any macro since getting the D800, by that time, late Sep, all the bugs were disappearing. I can just imagine the detail you could pull out of images like those with that higher res and better quality sensor

Dear me, those are some superb macro's, especially the first. I have a 105 macro lens but havent used it for ages as I love macro shots but am useless at them. I might dust it off and give it another go on the D800.

In terms of lenses I have no 1.4 lenses and so at the moment am predominantly using:

28mm 2.8 ai-s
50mm 1.8d
85mm 1.8d

All seem to work pretty fine to me even though they are not exactly top of the range.

I also have the 17-35 2.8 but have not really used it as I like the 28mm focal length and the 28 prime is very convenient to carry around whereas the 17-35 is a bit of a beast. Similarly I have the Sigma 105 macro but havent used it since my trip to Egypt a few years ago, and even then I used it as a telephoto type lens as it was the longest one I had.

Thanks :) I'm fascinated by bugs/bees/spiders up close. I could spend a day in the garden [on a nice day at least], crawling around in the grass trying to get close enough to shoot them. I usually stick the lens into MF and use my body, moving forward and back to focus. Can be very tricky, as you know the DOF is so thin when focusing in so close, and I usually have the cam in one hand, and flash with some kind of DIY diffuser/softbox in the other. I really must make or buy some kind of bracket for this year.

The more I think on it, I should keep the macro lens really. It's so versatile. It also works well with the TC I was also ready to sell. Giving you a nice prime tele/macro - it's also great for portraits. I need to stick it on the D800E more and really go for that extra detail :)

I still want that 35 1.4 though! :D - just not sure if I should sell on the 24-70, as I think one or the other is sufficient for my needs. It would probably end up like your 17-35 if I kept it and preferred the 35. It might end up gathering dust.

The 35 plus a wide angle lens would be ideal for me I think. there would be that gap from 35 - 70, and I just sold my 50mm ... d'oh ... but can always buy another, maybe the 1.4 50G

I don't think I could let my 24-70 go as its such a versatile lens and my copy is very sharp. Even though I have a 50mm and plan on getting a 35mm.

The 105 has interested me though I've not done any macro and not sure I would, but I'm holding out on that length prime hoping that a revised 135mm may appear.

I had my d800 out on Sunday at an Airsoft game(like paintball) and even though I know my 70-200 is slightly off ,preformed no different to my d700 as far as I could tell. I don't take bursts so the fps made no difference.

airsoft- the fort 13/1/13 by pmac1985, on Flickr

I still want that 35 1.4 though! :D - just not sure if I should sell on the 24-70, as I think one or the other is sufficient for my needs. It would probably end up like your 17-35 if I kept it and preferred the 35. It might end up gathering dust.

The 35 plus a wide angle lens would be ideal for me I think. there would be that gap from 35 - 70, and I just sold my 50mm ... d'oh ... but can always buy another, maybe the 1.4 50G

I have the 35 1.4 and the 24-70 and I have found that I rarely use the 35mm, to my mind the 24-70 works very well in combination with the D800 and of course is that bit more versatile.

How do you find the 35?

I've decided to keep the 24-70. I think I'd be mad to sell it, it's just so good and versatile. I still want a 1.4 prime to use on the side, and still want to try that sigma 35 1.4 - it's not going to replace the 24-70, rather act as a side option for indoor shooting or when I just want that extra shallow DOF in general.

Just to show I am not put off easily :D

Hand held walking the dog, I did have the tripod with me but was so knackered from the walk/climb I couldn't be bothered to use it! :shrug:

8384837712_00bb253214_b.jpg

Thanks Cagey, I live in Herefordshire but this is a pic of Corn Du taken from Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons, Wales...

Looks a sweet place to photograph. You've some nice ones on your flickr stream, I wish I lived close to some place like it.

Heres a couple of mine with the D800 with the 50mm f/1.8 G and the doggy one with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 2 seriously sharp lenses.

I know there crappy subjects but todays the first time ive actually taken some pics outside, well i got to the back door, EXIF intact

d8001.jpg

d8002.jpg

d8003.jpg

d8004.jpg

d8005.jpg

Last edited:
Nice dog, you should try get some shots of him running/leaping, really put that 70-200 AF to the test. Good to see you're enjoying the cam + lenses.

As I said in the Siggy 35 thread, had to put my 70-200 up for sale, the weight has just been killing my neck/back lately. I'm just not using it enough. Bought it a fewmonths back and it would pass for brand new.

The 70-200mm is super sharp on the D800 and at slow shutter speeds, works exceptional with the TC 20-III, as is the 50mm f/1.8G i just bought off here, and to please David im shooting at full resolution (y)

The 16-35mm f/4 VR seems to be a bit more challenging at anything below 1/100th sec even with VR on

Mt Tamron 28-75mm is good as well

Not yet tried my 400mm f/2.8 on the D800 out in the field so to speak, got a Rugby match late Saturday afternoon under floodlights so will give it a try out for 5 minutes or so then.

I meant I copped it earlier, don't know what time, but forgot to mention - actually ended up not posting in here at the time.

Thanks Meds, yeah I would have used hand-held off cam flash, or shoe-mounted and fired through my DIY softbox. All manually focused I believe, usually do for maacro.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Macro photography really appeals to me and is something I wanna to take up this year. Not sure if I'll be able to buy one of those special flashes tho, but I do have a sb800. So maybe I can make that work for me.
I'm currently using the D90, and looking to upgrade to FX, d600 or d800 :)

For the ones I've posted up I used a D90 and a cheap yongnuo 560 - your sb800 will be fine :) I haven't really done much by way ofmacro with the D800 yet.

Last edited:
Thanks will look into that flash. First thing I need to do is decide on the body. Then purchase the 24-70 2.8. Then the macro lens :). Probably end up asking loads of noob question in the next month or so once I'm ready to part with the cash /)

Your sb800 is better than the yongnuo I used [I have an sb900 now too] - it's fully manual so can be a fiddle to get bang on. It's just a basic unit, ordinary flash, not specific for macro ;)

also edited my last post there, said "D800" for the flash instead of sb800, in case you were confused there :D

Back