Nikon D800......

So many variables.... from the manual -

D800_pixels.jpg
Yeah, just saw that myself and was about to post it. If the resolution is 'only' 4800x3200 that's not a true 1.5x DX. If you divide 7360 by 1.5 you get 4906.7, and if you divide 4912 by 1.5 you get 3274.7. 4906.7 x 3274.7 = 16.07MP. But if you use the numbers from the manual 4608 x 3056 gives 15.4mp. Odd :confused:

Yeah, just saw that myself and was about to post it. If the resolution is 'only' 4800x3200 that's not a true 1.5x DX. If you divide 7360 by 1.5 you get 4906.7, and if you divide 4912 by 1.5 you get 3274.7. 4906.7 x 3274.7 = 16.07MP. But if you use the numbers from the manual 4608 x 3056 gives 15.4mp. Odd :confused:

If you do the sums you get a factor of x1.533333 - who wants to mess about with absolutes when x1.5 are easy sums to deal with? Otherwise, you'd end up up with silly numbers like Canon have of x1.6 - now, we couldn't have that could we? :p

Last edited:
If you do the sums you get a factor of x1.533333 - who wants to mess about with absolutes when x1.5 are easy sums to deal with? Otherwise, you'd end up up with silly numbers like Canon have like x1.6 - now, we couldn't have that could we? :p
Good point ;) So the D8xxx gives a touch more reach than we thought :LOL:

Ive had the D800 since new and love everything to do with it, well minus the one slight issue, - the weight, its 100x times heavier than my iphone lol.

Okay, so I think my D810 is dead. Was reviewing some images on it yesterday and it froze mid-chimp, pulling the memory card had no effect and it wouldn't switch off either, the image I'd been looking at remained on the screen, in the end I had to pull the battery.

Putting the battery back in resulted in 'Err' flashing in the LCD and it doesn't recognise any memory cards. Have tried a two-button reset to no effect. It's going back to Nikon on Monday but it really couldn't have come at a worse time. :(

Okay, so I think my D810 is dead. Was reviewing some images on it yesterday and it froze mid-chimp, pulling the memory card had no effect and it wouldn't switch off either, the image I'd been looking at remained on the screen, in the end I had to pull the battery.

Putting the battery back in resulted in 'Err' flashing in the LCD and it doesn't recognise any memory cards. Have tried a two-button reset to no effect. It's going back to Nikon on Monday but it really couldn't have come at a worse time. :(
Not good at all. Err messages on Nikon's have recently meant shutter issues but I can't see that being the case here causing the freezing. Hope it's something straightforward.

Not good at all. Err messages on Nikon's have recently meant shutter issues but I can't see that being the case here causing the freezing. Hope it's something straightforward.

Me too. On the plus side, I checked my emails and still have a year left on the Panamoz warranty so at least I won't be out of pocket.

Me too. On the plus side, I checked my emails and still have a year left on the Panamoz warranty so at least I won't be out of pocket.
Always a silver lining ;)

So, just to update on my D810 repair. After having it for a week, Nikon emailed me yesterday with my quote. Apparently the camera needs the following;

PCB Unit
Front Body Unit
Rubbers x 3
Level 3 Repair

The upshot of all this is a bill for £542. :eek:

I emailed the quote to Panamoz last night and the money was sent to me via PayPal earlier this afternoon. That's quite awesome customer service in my view. :banana:

So, just to update on my D810 repair. After having it for a week, Nikon emailed me yesterday with my quote. Apparently the camera needs the following;

PCB Unit
Front Body Unit
Rubbers x 3
Level 3 Repair

The upshot of all this is a bill for £542. :eek:

I emailed the quote to Panamoz last night and the money was sent to me via PayPal earlier this afternoon. That's quite awesome customer service in my view. :banana:
Yep, very impressive from Panamoz.

So, currently testing out the newly returned and 'repaired' D810 and another problem has surfaced. The camera will only focus when one of the central group of focus points is selected. If you move outside of these points and press the AF-ON button, the image jumps out of focus and then won't refocus. Even if the camera was already focused, it jumps out so everything's blurry. Have had a quick Google but can't see anything similar. Any words of inspiration before it goes back to Nikon again?

Anybody got any experience of replacing the USB socket on a D800? Google says I may need a whole new motherboard. Which seems a shame........

IMG_5499.JPG
JS.jpg
IMG_6058.JPG
JR2.jpg

Not shot a lot recently due to work. Took the d800 and 35mm with me on a trip to Starbucks.

Plan to shoot more soon!!

Wish I bought one 2.5 years ago. They were a grand used then and they are a grand used now. Talk about holding value

Wish I bought one 2.5 years ago. They were a grand used then and they are a grand used now. Talk about holding value

I bought mine for 1800 in 2012. Fabulous camera and still loving it

Might be tempted by a d820 though!!

I bought mine for 1800 in 2012. Fabulous camera and still loving it

Might be tempted by a d820 though!!

Yea i read end of this month announcement but cant fully trust what unofficial websites say

So, repair-gate rumbles on. Over 4 weeks after the D810 was sent back to Nikon for the second time, I've still not heard anything. Still shows as 'awaiting repair' when I login. Just rang Nikon and apparently they're awaiting a replacement AF sensor unit to be sent over by Nikon Europe. They reckon it'll probably be at least another 2-3 weeks before I get the camera back.

This camera is like grandad's old brush that has had 3 new handles and 5 new heads. There's only the actual case and shutter mechanism that's original, just about everything else has been replaced. I realise I'm not doing my future Classifieds ad any good with these updates. :canon:

PLOT TWIST!! Have just had an email from Nikon telling me the camera has been dispatched and will be back with me tomorrow. I have no idea WTF is going on. :runaway:

PLOT TWIST!! Have just had an email from Nikon telling me the camera has been dispatched and will be back with me tomorrow. I have no idea WTF is going on. :runaway:

Yes, I've noticed Nikon's ETAs aren't often accurate. On the plus side, neither are their invoices.

Yes, I've noticed Nikon's ETAs aren't often accurate. On the plus side, neither are their invoices.

So, this morning I received a text saying that my Nikon parcel has been delayed and won't be with me today. Tweeted Nikon who finally replied to a tweet, they said the message was an error and the camera is in transit. It hasn't arrived.

So, this morning I received a text saying that my Nikon parcel has been delayed and won't be with me today. Tweeted Nikon who finally replied to a tweet, they said the message was an error and the camera is in transit. It hasn't arrived.

It's a good thing they aren't a logistics company.... :(

Had a mission to capture 4 grandchildren in a similar pose a couple of years ago (only then we just had three of them, the youngest was too small to stay). Time to break out the 135mm f:2 DC :)

It was like herding cats, uphill!

Before -

DSC_5646
by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Middle-

Four Happy Ones
by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Final-

DSC_5666
by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've got a d500+d750
but I'm toying about a d810
is there a big image quality difference with the d810 or is it not worth it ??

thanks

A lens/camera combination I'd not tried too often 35mm ART and D800. Must admit this lighting was tricky - bright sunshine and then under the shade of large parasol.

Pretty impressed with both - mind you, this little one is quite photogenic :)

Indi 5
by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend lenses for the 800. The only FX Nikon lens I have is the 50mm 1.8g and it is ok but feels lonely by itself in the bag

Back