Nikon D800......

Finally, I am about to join the D810 club. :banana:
Apparently it will arrive tomorrow.
I sold the D750, as I just couldn't gel with the body style. Great camera, but (IMHO) ergonomically wrong for me. So I used my D700, which is going nowhere until I saved a bit for the 810.
Excited, me, surely not !

Seems like a good place to ask...

Recently purchased a Nikon D800 and enjoying it a lot. I'm using fairly ordinary speed CF card and SD card. I've noticed reasonably long delays in writing to the cards that I don't recall ever suffering using a D810 when I had one. In the D810 I used faster memory cards but before I go and spend any money on faster cards, will I actually see any benefit or is this just a quirk of the camera? I'm not really concerned about shooting long bursts or anything, it's more just avoiding the long pauses where the camera freezes whilst it writes.

Seems like a good place to ask...

Recently purchased a Nikon D800 and enjoying it a lot. I'm using fairly ordinary speed CF card and SD card. I've noticed reasonably long delays in writing to the cards that I don't recall ever suffering using a D810 when I had one. In the D810 I used faster memory cards but before I go and spend any money on faster cards, will I actually see any benefit or is this just a quirk of the camera? I'm not really concerned about shooting long bursts or anything, it's more just avoiding the long pauses where the camera freezes whilst it writes.

Faster card will help but not by much. D810 is faster.

Faster card will help but not by much. D810 is faster.

Cheers. Not too concerned about it, just wanted to make sure I'm not needlessly slowing things down if there's an easy fix.

Come to think of it, would I be right in saying the camera freezing thing is only in live view? I've not really noticed an issue when shooting normally but hadn't considered that until now.

Cheers. Not too concerned about it, just wanted to make sure I'm not needlessly slowing things down if there's an easy fix.

Come to think of it, would I be right in saying the camera freezing thing is only in live view? I've not really noticed an issue when shooting normally but hadn't considered that until now.

Fire off a few frames you will notice the buffer will fill very fast.

Fire off a few frames you will notice the buffer will fill very fast.

Yeah, what I meant was if I take a picture using live view, I have to wait while the image is written after the shot is taken before I can do anything with the camera.

If I shoot using the viewfinder I can just keep shooting until the buffer is full, no waiting. I guess I expected it to do the same in live view.

Yeah, what I meant was if I take a picture using live view, I have to wait while the image is written after the shot is taken before I can do anything with the camera.

If I shoot using the viewfinder I can just keep shooting until the buffer is full, no waiting. I guess I expected it to do the same in live view.

That is odd didn’t experience that with any of the D800’s I have owned don’t remember it being any different using live view.

That is odd didn’t experience that with any of the D800’s I have owned don’t remember it being any different using live view.

I'll have a proper check this evening. This is more my recollection than fact at this stage!

Hi, to complement my Leica and SONY equipment (poor Sony AF performance) I bought a used D800 and the Nikkor 4/70-200 VR, to take pictures of cars in motion:

D80_6373-n70_bearbeitet-1.jpg

and around the house:

D80_0321-n70c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

I am 100% satisfied!!! (with this set)

Yep - mine freezes in live view and takes an age to write to cards as I use a dual write. The D810 is a better camera in every single way but I still use a D800 as my 3rd camera - particularly if I do coastal work as I don't care as much for it as it's older and more worn than my new D810's

Yep - mine freezes in live view and takes an age to write to cards as I use a dual write. The D810 is a better camera in every single way but I still use a D800 as my 3rd camera - particularly if I do coastal work as I don't care as much for it as it's older and more worn than my new D810's

Yeah, thanks Steve. I read a bit online since my post that confirms this is a case of 'they all do that sir'. Not a problem now I know it's normal. I really liked my old D810 but agree that it's quite nice having a camera that you're less concerned about.

Yeah, thanks Steve. I read a bit online since my post that confirms this is a case of 'they all do that sir'. Not a problem now I know it's normal. I really liked my old D810 but agree that it's quite nice having a camera that you're less concerned about.

And it still produces gorgeous 36mp files :D - they were a ground breaking camera when they came out and still top drawer now.

I'd love a 800E body.

:)

I miss mine sometimes :/ I don't miss the weight of it with the lenses I had, like the Sigma 150 macro that was over 1Kg! even the 35 1.4 combined with the body was just cumbersome to carry around. But often miss the image quality, it was an excellent camera for low light despite being a high MP beast

It was cleaner at 5K ISO than my current G80 is at 800! :O that and the crop-ability are what I miss most

MMmm, Beer by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone able to help with this?

The rubber front grip (where your right hand holds the camera is peeling away.

I emailed Nikon spares and they have sent me something akin to the thing on the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D800...AL-Part-OEM-NEW-Japan-1H998-316-/312000248150

Basically, it's the whole assembly including battery surround and spring etc.

I cannot find any guides on how to fit it but from the orientation of the screw holes, it looks to me like the whole front of the camera would need to be removed and the memory card housing. Eeeeek.

So I don't fancy tearing the camera apart but if someone says it's actually easy, maybe I will. But otherwise, I assume Nikon should be able to sell me just the rubber like I asked for in the first place?

Hi, from my last car event this year. My D800 worked perfectly. Isn't it amazing that one does not always need the latest equipment? ;)

D80_4130-n70-tp.jpg

Cheers! :beer:

D80_4186-n50-tp.jpg

Hi, from my last car event this year. My D800 worked perfectly. Isn't it amazing that one does not always need the latest equipment? ;)

View attachment 135017

Cheers! :beer:

View attachment 135018

The d800 was a ground breaking camera when it was released in 2012. Things have moved on, but not by much. I still use mine and the pictures I take with it still make me money and give me joy.

Had a great day out with the D800 yesterday. Hike in the morning to a spot I'd not been to before. Trip to the coast to see of the high winds were creating much in the way of waves (they weren't) and then a trip out in the evening to another new location for some astro stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed it, though my remote timer seems to be knackered.

Linhope Spout - Autumn by G.A.D, on Flickr

Roker Pier enjoying some sunshine by G.A.D, on Flickr

The Milkyway over Cawfield Quarry, Nortumberland by G.A.D, on Flickr

Is there a dedicated D800E thread here, or does the 800E come under this thread ?

Any idea what the average cost of an excellent condition D800E (low shutter count) might sell for ?

Regards;
Peter

I have the D800 and the D810 so able to do a side by side comparison. Question is , is it worth upgrading to the D810? first of all it depends if one wants to and can afford it. Apart from that then yes there is a marked improvement between them, mainly due to no AA filter, or at least that is what I think. What I did find was having to be more careful with avoiding camera shake as the D810 produces sharper images. Also the shutter is a lot quieter than the D800 which now sounds like a hammer in comparison, not good in a required quiet environment. The D810 now has an additional "i" button on the back which shows a camera and access to functions with shortcuts so you don't have to go into the menu so often.

Holding the D810 is better as they have reverted back to the D300 design with a much deeper grip to the front of the camera, why they made it shallower on the D800 beats me ,maybe some designer who never held a camera is my guess.
I have tried the video side ,often not mentioned, but here again I have noticed an improvement and now quite usable apart from that still annoying focus "click" in sound . This really requires an extrnl mike mounted higher up than the standard hotshoe fitted versions, I manages to find extn pieces for this purpose. Now new "p" lenses should go some way to avoid this.

Apart from minor layout changes there should be no problem doing an upgrade handling wise, what I did like is the access port on the camera side now has individual covers far better, the D800 has just one

One problem I had and really annoyed me on the D800 was not being able to get the right colour red in the photo, no matter what I did to correct it. However It had to go back for repair when I dropped it and the camera must have been recalibrated as I no longer had this red problem. Don't know if it was just my camera or a common fault on the D800's in general.

Having said that the D800 is still a great camera and if one is happy with it then don't upgrade, if you are a camera must have latest person but the D850 is out of financial reach then the D810 is for you.
The battery pack fits both so no worries about getting a different one.

Just one other niggle with all Nikon cameras and that is the damn strap they supply with them. Not only narrow but twist up constantly and i am forever untwisting it each time i go to use a camera. So to this end I have bought a Peak design "slide" strap which is a lot better. Why on earth does Nikon sell expensive cameras and supply rubbish neck straps? beats me ,for the few extra pounds it would cost , crazy.

So am I glad I got the D810? yes. Will I get rid of my D800? definately not or my D300 for that matter, depreciation does make it worth while

Last edited:
My D800 took a bath in a lake 2 years ago. It's still soldiering on as a 3rd camera. Detail wise with the AA filter it isn't as crisp as the D810 but no Moire so for architectural stuff it's a good tool.

Here it is in the Loir Valley on the way back to Scotland

_DSC1507 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

It was also used in Gavarnie as my back up camera. I put the Sigma ART 50 on it for this wide shot, leaving the 70-200F2.8 VR2 e (the latest and best) on the D810.

_DSC1431 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The same usage pattern so it pressed into life for my shoot at Lac De Cheserys. The Sigma ART 50 is just superb, edge to edge sharpness is perfect, cannot even see an chromatic aberation stopped down and is just a totally viceless lens.

_DSC1297 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
For shooting with the D810 is there an extended eye cup you can buy to replace the standard one..? If so where's the best place to look at buying one please?

Cheers;
Peter

Well I ordered a D800 today so looking forward to joining in with this thread :)
It will be my 1st FX camera will I be in for much of a change in usage and settings etc ?

Well I ordered a D800 today so looking forward to joining in with this thread :)
It will be my 1st FX camera will I be in for much of a change in usage and settings etc ?

Welcome to the club! Did you you use a d500 on your other thread? If so, not much adjustment required. What sort of stuff do you shoot?

Match it with a Nikon non VR 24-70mm f2.8 lens and you wont need much else. Mine is on the camera nearly all the time. Being able to crop so much and still in focus will amaze you. Also it might pay to fine tune your lenses to the camera, I use one of these

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spyder+lens+calibration+nikon
plenty of instructions as well on youtube on the camera fine tine

Last edited:
Match it with a Nikon non VR 24-70mm f2.8 lens and you wont need much else. Mine is on the camera nearly all the time. Being able to crop so much and still in focus will amaze you. Also it might pay to fine tune your lenses to the camera, I use one of these

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spyder+lens+calibration+nikon
plenty of instructions as well on youtube on the camera fine tine
I already have a spyder lenscal :) so will look forward to settling it up.
The 24-70 will have to wait a little while as I have spent a small fortune in the last month or so on camera gear :D

Back