Nikon D800

No. He's being ridiculous. The d800 is perfectly usable hand held (and without VR), I thought all that had been knocked on the head months ago (along with"diffraction makes shooting above f/11 impossible" and other FUD....)

For the record, any landscape shot I take on any DSLR I use a tripod. I also use a self release timer, and shutter delay (if available).

I don't have the knowledge to claim any FUD about the D800.

My techniques might be ridiculous but Ill get over it :)

Gary.

I had to play with background as originally photo came tad too dark and had to pull it out. With it, background become too visible( piano and walls)
And yes she wears contact lenses found out same way as you did :)
I know what you mean saying that it looks over sharpen when small. Image is really big and programs that show it smaller, create all those 'artefacts'

That is a fair bit oversharpened so difficult to judge properly. The background looks problematic. My advise is if you are going there, make sure it is undetectable.

For Landscapes? Yes - I use a tripod with any camera if I am doing landscapes to be fair.

correct technique helps with 16MP 1DsII a lot, and even 1DIII at 10mp. the 2s-1/20s time window is the most sensitive to all vibrations, but long exposures can also suffer from wind shaking the tripod. D800 doesn't change anything, just magnifies an existing problem. 1/1000s or faster is probably the easiest to shoot.

That is a fair bit oversharpened so difficult to judge properly. The background looks problematic. My advise is if you are going there, make sure it is undetectable.

correct technique helps with 16MP 1DsII a lot, and even 1DIII at 10mp. the 2s-1/20s time window is the most sensitive to all vibrations, but long exposures can also suffer from wind shaking the tripod. D800 doesn't change anything, just magnifies an existing problem. 1/1000s or faster is probably the easiest to shoot.

Ever since I had my D3 I have had a complete OCD over trying to keep the camera as vibration and shake free as possible. I used to do a LOT of long exposures (in excess of 10 min).

G.

With resolutions like that It's almost compulsory to pixel-peep at full res which is where we'll have to be careful with PP

55.jpg

With resolutions like that It's almost compulsory to pixel-peep at full res which is where we'll have to be careful with PP

Did that have some fairly aggressive PP?
The rim of the face looks very odd and the hair looks badly clipped by the blacks (better shown else where in the image).
I'd be quite interested in seeing one with less PP to see how it stacks up as the way the detail in the eyes and lips has been brought out is great.

EdinburghGary said:
Ever since I had my D3 I have had a complete OCD over trying to keep the camera as vibration and shake free as possible. I used to do a LOT of long exposures (in excess of 10 min).

G.

Nothing wrong with that approach at all. Basic workflow for landscapes really regardless of camera. In windy conditions you get blurr from the subject matter more than the camera. Grass trees hedgerows etc hence the much faster shutter speeds

Stand back a few feet? Or walk around with a 24mm if you know you are going to be shooting in your face...

There really is no comparison between cropping on d800 and any previous camera. Especially at the real-world web resolution that 99.999999999%of photographs end up as.

the 24-70 is a big unfriendly lump with a limited range that many many people sold-on even before the d800 came along, out of the "holy trinity" of zooms it's always been the most superfluous of the 3.

I kinda like my 24-70mm,and you cant always step back a few feet :)

Did that have some fairly aggressive PP?
The rim of the face looks very odd and the hair looks badly clipped by the blacks (better shown else where in the image).
I'd be quite interested in seeing one with less PP to see how it stacks up as the way the detail in the eyes and lips has been brought out is great.

havent done anything to it apart from blur and erase it from lips..nothing else ...sharpening and blur made funny effect ?

will try to upload a original later on.

havent done anything to it apart from blur and erase it from lips..nothing else ...sharpening and blur made funny effect ?

will try to upload a original later on.

certainly way too much blur and sharpening, but that only explains some of it. Did you tweak colours individually, heavy highlight recovery, black clipping and manual dodging? CA still needs to be removed.

daugirdas said:
certainly way too much blur and sharpening, but that only explains some of it. Did you tweak colours individually, heavy highlight recovery, black clipping and manual dodging? CA still needs to be removed.

None of that...
Dodge only on eyes .

I try never to PS. As I'm pretty rubbish at it :)

I will upload original later on once I get back home.

Hi Pete,

Not sure what you are using it for - and this is pretty useless for most portraits. For still subjects, I would recommend a shutter release cable, shutter delay mode (3 secs) and self timer (2 secs). Like you, hand held results can be scary at 100% :D

G.

Well in that case I have just shot 5 weddings hand held and they must look awful........ NOT, what a stupid comment to make seeing that probably 15% of wedding images could be classed as portrait and I don't have time for tripods or the inclination to use one. Just keep the shutter speed well up I have found anything over 1/160 with a 24-70 is superb as for 100% forget that, print it and then see the stunning image the D800 gives.

Wilky

55.jpg

crop at 100%

I know what you mean and at 100% ( image that was PS'oped looks 'funny' )
not sure if thats blur or what...

flossie said:
Stand back a few feet? Or walk around with a 24mm if you know you are going to be shooting in your face...

There really is no comparison between cropping on d800 and any previous camera. Especially at the real-world web resolution that 99.999999999%of photographs end up as.

the 24-70 is a big unfriendly lump with a limited range that many many people sold-on even before the d800 came along, out of the "holy trinity" of zooms it's always been the most superfluous of the 3.

What would be your choice for 'standard zoom'? I'd also thought of primes instead.

Well in that case I have just shot 5 weddings hand held and they must look awful........ NOT, what a stupid comment to make

Wind your neck in, I wasn't rude to anyone?

What the heck has happened to this place.

Gary.

Last edited:

I've found the 24-70mm to be an excellent lens, especially for a zoom. If the weight of this 'lump' is a problem then you could always go to a gym! :naughty: (I'll await the "I already go to the gym and could hold the mighty Hercules down with just my pinkie" response ;))

I have finished editing some photographs yesterday.

here is a link to a full resolution image of 4912x7360
4912x7360

There's definitely something wrong with that photo, it would put me off a D800! I'm guessing it's the processing though and agree about it appearing to be oversharpened. I can see how the detail of 36MP can be useful, especially in the nature shot earlier but I think care is required when photographing models etc, I'm not too keen to see the facial bum fluff! lol

Gary.

lol, welcome to ego central where nobody is wrong except you! ;) It's all mathematics I guess: the membership size increases and thus so does the ratio of ring pieces. But then an alternative and nicer way of looking at it is that there's also a higher ratio of good stuff about and any questions are answered pretty damn fast which is very handy sometimes! :D

Here is three images from one, Cropping a 77.6MB file from a D800.

Edited in Lightroom.

_TPK1374_A.jpg
[/IMG]

Cropped.

_TPK1374.jpg
[/IMG]

Cropped B&W.

_TPK1374-Edit.jpg
[/IMG]

Nikon D800
Raw
File Size 7360x4912, (77.6MB)
Aperture Priority
iso800
400mm on a Sigma AF.120-400mm.f/4.5-5.6.APO.DG.OS Lens
1/250 sec at f/5.6.(Wide Open)

Sherwood Forest, Overcast with a tad of rain.

Last edited:
crop at 100%

I know what you mean and at 100% ( image that was PS'oped looks 'funny' )
not sure if thats blur or what...

You can see her contact lenses! :LOL::LOL:
These are truly impressive cameras but I think they need very careful setup and very very judicious PP. Gobsmaked is what I am!

Last edited:
Terry's (TTK) images in post#98 are highly impressive. The D800 is quite a performer.

That first one of Terry's has a lovely rich feel to it.

Terry's (TTK) images in post#98 are highly impressive. The D800 is quite a performer.

You can see her contact lenses! :LOL::LOL:
These are truly impressive cameras but I think they need very careful setup and very very judicious PP. Gobsmaked is what I am!

Thanks Dougie.

FlashP, your right about set up, for a few weeks I kept going back into the menu's and tweaking here and there, pp is not bad, if you take your time you can tweak the hell out of the files.

That first one of Terry's has a lovely rich feel to it.

Thanks gman, thats a raw file, just resized for the forum using lightroom 4.1, also found using the D800 over my old D3s that with such large file's you have to be spot on with focus, I have dumped many OOF images.

Is a zoom most popular or are folks going back to primes??

I will be using the 24-70mm mostly which is awesome, contrary to a silly comment made earlier.

I keep looking at the 85mm 1.4G but must resist.

Not sure, mixed bag I think, a lot of photographers would like to use primes but it's the cost that holds them back, in these hard'ish times IMO.

I had the same experience when I was looking for one, eventually found a supplier with two (new) ... tried them both and wasn't happy with the results so went with the 14-24. I don't know if there was a quality issue that led to the short supply, I saw some reviews that praised them and some that trashed them .

While weighing up a d800/e purchase thats really been what I'v had the most trouble researching, the performance of UWA's as opinion seems to vary wildely.

Personally the 14-24mm is something I'd rather avoid if I can due to cost, size, range and filter issues but if it really does flatten the competision I'd consider it.

On the D800 there do seem to be some desenting voices appearing for its quality though and the mixed messages about the 16-35mm and the 17-35mm remain, some review sites favouring one and some the other, many not covering both.

What I'd be looking for is good performance across most of the frame at f/8, weaker extreme corners I can accept but if things are failing apart 2/3rds of the way across the frame I'd be worried. F/2.8 would really be a bonus and I'd accept poorer boarder performance there aslong as the center was decent.

Last edited:

Gary.

More people Gary and some of the old guys have left. Other than that there's still some good stuff here. Like everywhere in life, some people find it hard to be civil.

Anyway back to pixel peeping...

I guess the D800 is doing my photography some good because it is helping me to try and understand the limitations of the pixel resolution.

I am getting some odd results, this photo for example, I have already mentioned was taken at F20 and 1/125 sec at 55mm, hand held

Remember me? by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

100% crop is here

PeterBlandford0002.jpg

It looks pretty rubbish at 100%, not sure if that is camera shake, I used li-on studio lights and the light would have been mostly from the flash, so I doubt it. Maybe it's the famous diffraction?

Conversely here is a photo shot at F9 using the same lights at 1/250 sec

The McManus' by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

with 100% crop here

PeterBlandford0001.jpg

That looks ok to me. I guess what I need to do is take a series of photos at different setting under more controlled conditions.

Any other ideas?

F20 is bound to look terrible on pretty much any camera. I avoid anything over f/18 (or ideally f/16) on my 16MP FX.

But that f/9 shot is not looking like a miracle either. It could be that D800 outresolves it (it's just a zoom :( but f/9 should be the sharpest point), it could be slightly out of focus with excess sharpening added, or the glass could be out of alignment somewhere :puke:. Does it look really sharp downsided to 21 or 16MP?

More people Gary and some of the old guys have left. Other than that there's still some good stuff here. Like everywhere in life, some people find it hard to be civil.

I guess the D800 is doing my photography some good because it is helping me to try and understand the limitations of the pixel resolution.

I am getting some odd results, this photo for example, I have already mentioned was taken at F20 and 1/125 sec at 55mm, hand held

Remember me? by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

100% crop is here

PeterBlandford0002.jpg

It looks pretty rubbish at 100%, not sure if that is camera shake, I used li-on studio lights and the light would have been mostly from the flash, so I doubt it. Maybe it's the famous diffraction?

Conversely here is a photo shot at F9 using the same lights at 1/250 sec

The McManus' by ShawWellPete, on Flickr

with 100% crop here

PeterBlandford0001.jpg

That looks ok to me. I guess what I need to do is take a series of photos at different setting under more controlled conditions.

Any other ideas?

F20 is bound to look terrible on pretty much any camera. I avoid anything over f/18 (or ideally f/16) on my 16MP FX.

Worth bearing in mind, I should have put the shutter speed up to the sync speed and shot wider.

But that f/9 shot is not looking like a miracle either. It could be that D800 outresolves it (it's just a zoom :( but f/9 should be the sharpest point), it could be slightly out of focus with excess sharpening added, or the glass could be out of alignment somewhere :puke:. Does it look really sharp downsided to 21 or 16MP?

Actually, it looks far worse on this then when I zoom into 100% on LR. Not sure why?

I cropped in LR and exported full size with some sharpening.

:thinking:

Worth bearing in mind, I should have put the shutter speed up to the sync speed and shot wider.

Actually, it looks far worse on this then when I zoom into 100% on LR. Not sure why?

I cropped in LR and exported full size with some sharpening.

:thinking:

If camera shake is not the problem then I think slightly off focus is the culprit.

Well according to various sources, which I cannot claim are correct, the higher the resolution, the more problematic hand holding becomes. Perhaps this is ONLY in the world of pixel peeping, and the reality is different. I read that the camera should be treated almost like a medium or large format camera in terms of principles.

I have noticed that my hand held shots and even some TRIPOD shots seem to suffer from what looks like camera shake - even when all the "normal" rules are followed.

I might do more reading :)

Good to see most of you have geld onto your manners :D :LOL:

This thread has been a great read (y), and some pretty amazing pictures here and in other threads too.

While I love this camera; yet I don't think it's something I'd want to buy as I just can't get my head around three issues:

1. CF & SD cards, not a big bother, but I don't want to have to carry two different types of storage, and why didn't they just go with the new format as with the D4 (not the dual format CF & that new sexy stuff)?

2. Built-in flash, why didn't they offer the E version without the flash? It's the camera's weakest point when out in trying weathers (rain / sandstorms).

3. This has got to be the deal breaker for me, this camera, in all its might, cannot handle PC-E lenses! I've tried so hard to see if that was a mistake, that the reports were just people "guessing", but everything I've read tells me that while PC-E can mount, they cannot be rotated.

In a way, I am glad that it has these limitations as I don't really fancy upgrading from my D3x ..

....3. This has got to be the deal breaker for me, this camera, in all its might, cannot handle PC-E lenses! I've tried so hard to see if that was a mistake, that the reports were just people "guessing", but everything I've read tells me that while PC-E can mount, they cannot be rotated.... ..

Here's a video of the 24mm PC-E on a D800: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nehkWWCRWZE.

I wonder if the PC-E mod would solve it (maybe, can't get my brain round it at the moment) https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com...tion-of-tilt-and-shift-mechanism-of-pc-e-lens.

(PS. You're right about the pesky pop-up flash - I hate them).

Here is a 22mp version downsized with LR, export sharpening for screen.

Looks much better now, but being anal I still can see a little bit of softness, particularly on the top left (right eye vs left) and the bottom. I expect f/9 to give everything in focus. Probably that explains why I prefer primes for portraits, and shooting fairly wide so there is an excuse of thin DOF :LOL:

Also I am not sure about the purpose of 'sharpening for screen' in this case. It is exactly that - sharpening for web size preview or fill screen size - not 100% viewing; it creates artifacts. In fact this would probably make sense with NO prior sharpening in post. If sharpening was applied in (LR, PS, etc), there is no need for any more on export.

Also I am not sure about the purpose of 'sharpening for screen' in this case. It is exactly that - sharpening for web size preview or fill screen size - not 100% viewing; it creates artifacts. In fact this would probably make sense with NO prior sharpening in post. If sharpening was applied in (LR, PS, etc), there is no need for any more on export.

Fair point, I resized down to 22mp on export from LR, which is why I sharpened on export.

<snip>

100% crop is here

PeterBlandford0002.jpg

<snip>

Diffraction at f/20 won't help, though it does rule out focus issues. But that's clearly movement blur (camera/subject). Lencarta Li-on's flash durations are quite long.

Back