Nikon D800

Mine came from Cardiff Camera Centre in June. Been perfect, no AF issues, no lock ups, no Green LCD cast. Absolutely love it. Serial number 6012XXX

Is shooting at 1/125s at a focal length of 16mm a good best test of this? Genuine question as I wouldn't know.

16mm should be easy to handhold at much slower shutter speeds so I don't think a great test. Try handholding 300mm at 300/s :)

I think the reality is, it's a great camera and we will all learn to use it in our own way. If we are getting bad photos, adapt to it or ask for help :)

Hmm seems a bit unclear then because the last one I received came in early July too though the two I had were from the same batch from WEX and could well have been earlier products

Thanks for the info Alan. I'm still holding off a little before I order

Wooster

Interesting. I wasn't even aware of this left focus issue until now. I sent mine to Nikon after only having a few days to get the pixels remapped as I had a stuck green pixel in video mode (and video was the main reason I bought it).

Got it back last week, stuck pixel all fixed, but I've just re-checked the 'repair sheet' and it says:

-Pixel defect correction completed
-Check/adjust body focus to Nikon standard
-Metering, exposure adjust to Nikon standard
-Check, test and clean equipment

I'm guessing the second one fixed the left focus issue, if it was ever there in the first place? I've just done a quick and dirty test (tripod mounted using a focus chart) and mine seems absolutely fine.

there's another knock off grip doing the rounds now, not sure if im allowed to post ebay links, but if you search for DSTE D800 grip it will show up :) Getting some good write ups and it certainly looks the part, plus you get a battery with it which makes it a bit of a bargain in its own right. Anyway, just ordered one, will probably take a couple of weeks to deliver so will post some thoughts when it arrives.

Does anyone know if the D800E comes with a download for free Capture NX2, and if so is it transferable?

It does, but not sure if it's transferable.

Thank you its just someone has offered to sell me it, but i don't want to hand over cash and it not be transferable, i guess if the camera is in his name then maybe the software will be. Thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know if the D800E comes with a download for free Capture NX2, and if so is it transferable?

The camera comes with a 'credit card' which has a printed product key to activate the NX2 download. There's nothing on the card that says it can't be transferred. In fact one sold on ebay in July for £98 and the buyer hasn't left any adverse comment - only positive feedback. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320936360951

I have the card and I'm going to sell it since I already have NX2.

Last edited:
I've done some more thorough tests this morning and it appears my camera does have the left side af problem after all. I have been in contact with Nikon and the camera is now wrapped and ready for posting to them tomorrow.
I phoned Nikon up 0330 123 0932 and I was told someone would call me back which they did 20mins later. I described the test I had done and he immediatly agreed I had a problem he then e-mailed me instructions on how to return the camera back to them with postage paid by them.

I was also told they can clear up the problem no problem at all.

Just in case anyone is interested this is how I tested the camera.

Nikon 24-70mm @24mm f/2.8

3 star test charts on wall that aligned to the left centre and right focus points. Distance from wall was approx 7-8 feet.

Lens was firstly tuned in with AF Fine Tune to ensure centre focus was spot on.

Picture taken in live view of centre chart using following procedure, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay (d4 on menu).

3 pictures were then taken with centre focus point using following procedure, lens defocused then focused with af/s on centre of middle chart, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay.

3 pictures taken with far left focus point using following procedure, lens defocused then focused with af/s on centre of left chart, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay

3 pictures taken with far right focus point using following procedure, lens defocused then focused with af/s on centre of right chart, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay.

I was told I should have it back within 10 days.

This is an example of the results I was getting.

j1WkI.jpg

Just to update my post I received my D800 back from Nikon today and after a quick test using the same method as before there seems to be a big improvement in the focusing.

zUO2s.jpg

Glad that Dale (and others) have got their D800's sorted. However, I find this to be an appalling situation. Why are people being sold cameras that are not fit for purpose and why do they have to send them to Nikon rather than have the supplier provide a replacement/refund as they are required to do so by law.
I am a prospective D800 buyer and my plan was to wait for David Busch's guide to be published before making a move on a purchase.
I don't want to be in the situation of sending a new camera for repair, nor should anyone be. Not exactly cheap are they, and the money being paid for them is enough to entitle buyers to expect technical perfection. Nikon - hang your head in shame!!

The camera comes with a 'credit card' which has a printed product key to activate the NX2 download. There's nothing on the card that says it can't be transferred. In fact one sold on ebay in July for £98 and the buyer hasn't left any adverse comment - only positive feedback. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320936360951

I have the card and I'm going to sell it since I already have NX2.

Ok thanks is it the full version they are giving and not a trial?

Glad that Dale (and others) have got their D800's sorted. However, I find this to be an appalling situation. Why are people being sold cameras that are not fit for purpose and why do they have to send them to Nikon rather than have the supplier provide a replacement/refund as they are required to do so by law.
I am a prospective D800 buyer and my plan was to wait for David Busch's guide to be published before making a move on a purchase.
I don't want to be in the situation of sending a new camera for repair, nor should anyone be. Not exactly cheap are they, and the money being paid for them is enough to entitle buyers to expect technical perfection. Nikon - hang your head in shame!!

As far as repair or swap goes wouldn't sending it to Nikon would make the process quicker by cutting out the middleman? I can understand why suppliers might not be so keen, if people start asking for refunds then they are going to be losing out because of Nikon.

I never understand why companies do this, instead of trying to conceal the issue, admit it and get something in place so the customer doesn't feel like they are being screwed over. Am planning on purchasing the D800 myself but think I will just hang on for a month or so, firstly want to see what pops up at Photokina and also want to be sure I don't get one of the faulty batch!

As far as repair or swap goes wouldn't sending it to Nikon would make the process quicker by cutting out the middleman? I can understand why suppliers might not be so keen, if people start asking for refunds then they are going to be losing out because of Nikon.

I never understand why companies do this, instead of trying to conceal the issue, admit it and get something in place so the customer doesn't feel like they are being screwed over. Am planning on purchasing the D800 myself but think I will just hang on for a month or so, firstly want to see what pops up at Photokina and also want to be sure I don't get one of the faulty batch!

You are correct. Being upfront about a problem does less damage to reputation. As soon as company is suspected of hiding something everyone wonders what else they are hiding.
I too plan to wait a while to see if the faulty cameras get "flushed" through.

Who is using the D800 + f/1.4 primes and what are your autofocus results like? Lloyd Chambers blog is basically trashing it between f/1.4 and f/2.

Been toying with the idea of the 35mm f1.4, just so expensive compared to slower lenses but damn the f1.4 is so tempting!!

You are correct. Being upfront about a problem does less damage to reputation. As soon as company is suspected of hiding something everyone wonders what else they are hiding.
I too plan to wait a while to see if the faulty cameras get "flushed" through.

Hopefully they will, for the price the camera is truly outstanding. A bit annoying having to wait but should hopefully get my hands on one sooner or later! Now just need to decide between the D800 and D800e

Who is using the D800 + f/1.4 primes and what are your autofocus results like? Lloyd Chambers blog is basically trashing it between f/1.4 and f/2.

I just swapped my 50mm 1.4 for a 24-70 2.8....

The 50mm was rubbish at 1.4 and needed to be at least 1.8 to be any good...

Regarding focusing.. I found it very hit and miss... BUT.. at large apertures the DOF is so shallow that it could literally be breathing that fluffs it !?..

24-70 2.8 is just awesome on the D800...

i use mainly my d800 almost entirely with a 24mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. first time i checked i thought i had issues, but actually it seems fine :shrug:

Back