Nikon d850 "in development"

If you want one camera to do a bit of everything then the D850 is it.

I no longer yearn for cameras that are as big as my head .... just personal preference :LOL:

Well done Jase, did you think that one up all by yourself?

I'm not going to answer that or respond to any more of your posts here, you obviously have no interest in new technology or in the D850 so I've no idea what you're doing in this thread other than trolling.

The D850 feels like they did a poll and then put in everything photographers asked for, the only thing they left out is the inbody stabilisation and maybe a hybrid EVF, I can't really think of what else they could put in. I guess LCD shooting should be on A9 or dual pixels but it's not either. Still, a hell of an effort by Nikon.

This of course providing that the new sensor is at least on par IQ and DR wise to the D810.

Lets face if it's a brilliant camera. Considering getting one to replace my much loved, but well worn D810. 0% finance over 12 months from Jessops could be a smart option.

For a D850 you mean? What's it going to give you that's a worthwhile swap from an already great camera?

Dave

I shoot a lot of fast moving action. My main camera for this is a D500 that has shot 300k images. I find myself using both the D500 and D810 to shoot some of my commissions (the D500 for when my subject is moving, typically very quickly, and the D810 for closer more portrait like opportunities) - the D850 can replace both in these situations. For large art prints I find the D500 action images can be a limiting quantity.
With 9fps (with the optional grip & battery) and the D5 focusing system I'll have a great action camera that will work alongside my D500 (and allow me to send the D500) in for a service (it's showing some strange issues...).
Oh, and I just can't resist the latest thing!

I shoot a lot of fast moving action. My main camera for this is a D500 that has shot 300k images. I find myself using both the D500 and D810 to shoot some of my commissions (the D500 for when my subject is moving, typically very quickly, and the D810 for closer more portrait like opportunities) - the D850 can replace both in these situations. For large art prints I find the D500 action images can be a limiting quantity.
With 9fps (with the optional grip & battery) and the D5 focusing system I'll have a great action camera that will work alongside my D500 (and allow me to send the D500) in for a service (it's showing some strange issues...).

A point worth noting, from
what I've been told is that to get the 9 fps you'll need the D850 Battery Grip, a D5 battery and D5 charger which will increase the actual cost considerably, is it worth it for the extra 2 fps?

what I've been told is that to get the 9 fps you'll need the D850 Battery Grip, a D5 battery and D5 charger which will increase the actual cost considerably, is it worth it for the extra 2 fps?

Someone's been watching Jared Polin !

For the type of work I do, absolutely.
Incidentally the battery is cheapest from Nikon themselves, but I'm struggling to find a price on the charger.
My hope is that Nikon release a kit/package for D850 owners.
Needs the BL-5 battery cover as well.

Last edited:
It would be nice, but I can't see that ever happening. They may have an offer on the grip at some point, but they make a huge amount on the batteries and the charger because D* users need them, and so will pay what needs to be paid.

Last edited:
A large print from a cropped 20.9MP D500 file has its limitations.
Thanks for replying. :)

If you plan on using the same lenses as on the D500 then a similar number of pixels, maybe even less, the D850 DX mode is 19.4MP, would cover the subject at similar distances to what you may be doing now.

Also, if not using the DX option, and plan to crop to get a similar sized image to what you are getting with the D500, then subjects towards the edge of the frame may not be covered by AF.

I'm sure you already know that that though. ;)

It would give you the best option, if very expensive, if you have to buy the MB-D18 battery grip, EN-EL18a/b battery and charger if you get the D500 serviced though, at least in the short term. :)

The latest thing is very tempting though isn't it. ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
A cynic might suggest that they designed the grip to give 9fps only with the EN-EL18 and not AAs (as with previous grips) purely to sell more EN-EL18s and chargers. Nikon doesn't make any money from Eneloops, after all. I suspect either 3rd party battery makers or 3rd party grip makers will address this.

For the type of work I do, absolutely.
Incidentally the battery is cheapest from Nikon themselves, but I'm struggling to find a price on the charger.
Needs the BL-5 battery cover as well.

Wait... so to get 9 FPS practically you need to buy separately:

MB-D18 Battery grip
EN-EL18B battery
EN-EL18B charger

And a BL-5 cover ? That seems mental.

A cynic might suggest that they designed the grip to give 9fps only with the EN-EL18 and not AAs (as with previous grips) purely to sell more EN-EL18s and chargers. Nikon doesn't make any money from Eneloops, after all. I suspect either 3rd party battery makers or 3rd party grip makers will address this.

The EN-EL18 is listed as 10.8V while the EN-EL15 is 7V, I assume that's the main reason they're required for the higher frame rate and why you can't expect it when using AA batteries.

The EN-EL18 is listed as 10.8V while the EN-EL15 is 7V, I assume that's the main reason they're required for the higher frame rate and why you can't expect it when using AA batteries.
Yes, but the old grips for this class of camera (MB-D10 &12) take 8 AAs = 12V (at least with alkalines). This one only takes 6 AAs (9V).

If you plan on using the same lenses as on the D500 then a similar number of pixels, maybe even less, the D850 DX mode is 19.4MP, would cover the subject at similar distances to what you may be doing now.
Exactly. A large print from a D850 would have even more limitations. (At least in terms of resolution. The dynamic range might be better, but I expect that's not the main consideration when shooting at such high frame rates.)

Fortunately no one can challenge that with logic!

I see they have moved the microphone pickup to the back of the D850 instead of next to the lens. it may help stop focus click but when using in video mode don't breath ;)

Exactly. A large print from a D850 would have even more limitations. (At least in terms of resolution. The dynamic range might be better, but I expect that's not the main consideration when shooting at such high frame rates.)
Stewart, can you explain why this is the case?
Explain what? The bit about the resolution?

The D500 has 20.9 megapixels on a DX sensor. If you crop a D850 image down to the same size as the D500 sensor, you have 45.7/(1.5)^2 = 20.3 megapixels to play with.

18993-1503837710-cadd26260960ca3996114533fce04568.jpg

Last edited:
Cropping at the longest available focal length is a special case, though. If you are using (say) a standard zoom, you'll generally have a longer lens on the FX camera to start with. A lot of cropping is to tighten up the composition or remove distracting elements you didn't have the time or foresight or positioning to deal with when the shot was taken, rather than to max out your biggest telezoom.

Fortunately no one can challenge that with logic!

It beats me why anyone would want to use a DX lens on a FX camera ? Scientifically, I understand the reasons why and what can be achieved. Pragmatically, either go for DX or FX and never the twain should meet.

It beats me why anyone would want to use a DX lens on a FX camera ? Scientifically, I understand the reasons why and what can be achieved. Pragmatically, either go for DX or FX and never the twain should meet.
I hope that was tongue in cheek.

Some people do actually have financial constraints, particularly when going from DX to FX. :rolleyes:

And some may not ever be financially able to replace the reach they may have got with their DX system with the more expensive lenses.

Cropping at the longest available focal length is a special case, though. If you are using (say) a standard zoom, you'll generally have a longer lens on the FX camera to start with. A lot of cropping is to tighten up the composition or remove distracting elements you didn't have the time or foresight or positioning to deal with when the shot was taken, rather than to max out your biggest telezoom.
Sure. But here we are talking about that special case. This is where we started:

Explain what? The bit about the resolution?

The D500 has 20.9 megapixels on a DX sensor. If you crop a D850 image down to the same size as the D500 sensor, you have 45.7/(1.5)^2 = 20.3 megapixels to play with.

According to the D850 brochure and the specs I have seen the D850 DX mode is 19.4MP, so even a little bit lower resolution than you stated. ;) But not that much as to make a huge difference between the D500 DX and D850 DX mode in terms of resolution.

I hope that was tongue in cheek.

Some people do actually have financial constraints, particularly when going from DX to FX. :rolleyes:

And some may not ever be financially able to replace the reach they may have got with their DX system with the more expensive lenses.

Best stick with DX then.

Depends on how much long stuff one does. ;)

Some people just see FF as somewhere they need to get to though. Whatever makes one happy. :)

I think that majority of people who will get the D850 will already be D810 /D750 users.The D850 combines the best of both of these models plus more. In effect, it can replace both. mainstay users will be pros, maybe a few amateurs with deep pockets but either way I can see the marked being flooded with D810s & D750s which can only be good news for people looking for a bargain. By the way, I'm not advocating a single camera for professional work there always will be the need for a solid back up or a two lens setup etc.

Back