Nikon d850 "in development"

I don't get it Jonney, what's oh dear?

The video shows what I talked about last time, if you use the right focus mode it nails just about every shot. I bet on the ones it missed slightly if you were viewing in a 20-24mp camera you would have said those ones are nailed too.

It's about getting to know the camera and finding what works best. I tried 3D tracking on my D750 on several occasions and ditched it as I got better results using single point. I personally prefer single point over dynamic too, although Jared seems to prefer dynamic. I would wager that most Nikon users don't use 3D tracking either.

Did you find the best AF tracking setting off the bat on the 5D4 or did you try various ones and see what worked best? For most it was the latter. If they used a focus mode that didn't yield as good results did it all of a sudden make the 5D4 a bad camera for tracking? No of course not, so why all this 'drama' that one focus mode doesn't work as well as it does on a dedicated £5.5k sports camera? I bet if I was lucky enough to have one I'd get at least as good keeper rate as my D750 or the D500 I had which are both mighty impressive.

The video shows what I talked about last time, if you use the right focus mode it nails just about every shot. I bet on the ones it missed slightly if you were viewing in a 20-24mp camera you would have said those ones are nailed too.

It's about getting to know the camera and finding what works best. I tried 3D tracking on my D750 on several occasions and ditched it as I got better results using single point. I personally prefer single point over dynamic too, although Jared seems to prefer dynamic. I would wager that most Nikon users don't use 3D tracking either.

Did you find the best AF tracking setting off the bat on the 5D4 or did you try various ones and see what worked best? For most it was the latter. If they used a focus mode that didn't yield as good results did it all of a sudden make the 5D4 a bad camera for tracking? No of course not, so why all this 'drama' that one focus mode doesn't work as well as it does on a dedicated £5.5k sports camera? I bet if I was lucky enough to have one I'd get at least as good keeper rate as my D750 or the D500 I had which are both mighty impressive.
The 5d4 works great on centre lock af where u lock on from center and it follows.

Its 3d focus is poor like the d850.

I guess I've been so fortunate to own and use a A9 because that I leave on its 3d focus type and it nails focus and tracks for fun.

D850 was raved to have the same 3d tracking and af system as the d5 yet it does not....

D850 is a brilliant camera but it's 3d tracking is rubbish. That's two videos showing it now from Nikon fanboy YouTubers too.

Also I would say that the a7r2 tracks better than the d850 as well in similar 3d type af.

Sorry but the d850 3D af is not good and that my friend is the only point I'm making about this camera. Nothing else.

Its iq is amazing as well as its build quality.

Brilliant dslr no ifs or buts and on paper better than the 5d4

What I don't get is his emphasis on focus of the face when the face is no where near the central 25 AF points. The face was in focus either by luck or DOF, not due to the AF tracking it.

What I don't get is his emphasis on focus of the face when the face is no where near the central 25 AF points. The face was in focus either by luck or DOF, not due to the AF tracking it.
You do know that you can move the chosen group of 9, 25 or 72 focus points around the 153 focus points don't you. :thinking:

I don't think you get that many images in focus by luck, and if where DoF, they would all be in focus. :rolleyes:

He read the title and that was all he needed to know....

It's actually quite funny, Nikon has made without a doubt imo the best all round camera available and people for whatever reason have nothing better to do than than search the net trying to find complaints.

The Matt Granger video (who produces average images at best) was comparing one AF mode against the D5 which has one the best AF systems of any camera... how about a comparison of the A9 vs D5 :

Forward action servo test : Sony A9 73%, Nikon D5 97%
Back Lit Servo test Zoom : Sony A9 57% Nikon D5 97%

Ohh dear.... can't believe how bad the A9 is, it's missing almost 50% more than the D5 the AF system is terrible, good job it doesn't suffer from banding... ohh wait...

You do know that you can move the chosen group of 9, 25 or 72 focus points around the 153 focus points don't you. :thinking:

I don't think you get that many images in focus by luck, and if where DoF, they would all be in focus. :rolleyes:
Actually, no I didn't (and I've been using Nikons a long time :confused:) . I know you can move group mode, but I aways thought the other dynamic modes were always centered... maybe because that's the way I've always used them.

I'll check to verify, but I may have learned something new today!

It's actually quite funny, Nikon has made without a doubt imo the best all round camera available and people for whatever reason have nothing better to do than than search the net trying to find complaints.

The Matt Granger video (who produces average images at best) was comparing one AF mode against the D5 which has one the best AF systems of any camera... how about a comparison of the A9 vs D5 :

Ohh dear.... can't believe how bad the A9 is, it's missing almost 50% more than the D5 the AF system is terrible, good job it doesn't suffer from banding... ohh wait...

I called him out on his trolling the other day. And all he could come back with was all the amazing shoots he's going to do this weekend. Now this. I think he's mental. Along with his insecure little friend Riz.

They both need help.

For some people it seems that noone can post anything negative regarding a camera they happen to own whether that be a Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.

For others who may want to buy one of those cameras they will trawl the net looking for potential or real issues and that forms part of their decision whether to buy one or not.

If some people want to be sycophants to a particular brand or camera that's fine but others aren't and so you will see any potential problems highlighted on forums such as this because that's the way it works.

I've never used Nikons 3D tracking but have always thought it to be better than Canons equivalent. After seeing that video I'll be trying to replicate it and see for myself.

I see the headline specs on a camera and think that sounds good but what can't it do so well and that forms part of my decision to buy or not.

The D850 looks a great camera and it will be but it will not do everything better that any other camera. That camera hasn't been made and probably never will.

Perhaps the D850 comes closer than many others though.

Last edited:

Lol nice one

I called him out on hisI think he's mental. Along with his insecure little friend Riz.

They both need help.

Where have I been trolling, I would have asked you to elaborate but that would take the thread further off-topic as you’ve already managed to do a few times in here and elsewhere.
I think you need check your facts as I am neither his friend, insecure, mental nor am I little. - I am happily married with two kids.
I could quite easily stoop down to your level and start name calling you etc, but that’s slander, instead I will ignore and report you to the moderators for slander as I’ve always thought I had a good reputation on here.

Right back on topic before the thread was de-railed,
I’m missing something in that video as it seems perfectly acceptable given that it’s a high mega pixel sensor, you have to remember that high mega pixel sensors are a lot less forgiving if the technique isn’t accurate.

I also disagree that the Sony A7RII’s tracking in AF-C better, it’s border-line ok but for my usage I found the Fuji XT-2 way better at tracking compared to the Sony A7RII.

Nikon have produced a good all-round body with the D850 but to think it’s got better AF than their flagship is wrong.
It’s good enough for it’s intended market segment though.

Last edited:

It's actually quite funny, Nikon has made without a doubt imo the best all round camera available and people for whatever reason have nothing better to do than than search the net trying to find......

Sony are relative new comers to to professional market, many people don’t look at the whole system when buying a camera. There is a place for mirrorless systems and it will be interesting what Nikon will do in the future but there is no doubt in my mind that the D850 is the best all round DSLR on the market today.

Sony are relative new comers to to professional market, many people don’t look at the whole system when buying a camera. There is a place for mirrorless systems and it will be interesting what Nikon will do in the future but there is no doubt in my mind that the D850 is the best all round DSLR on the market today.

I have to agree, the D850 is a great body from Nikon. :)
It will be interesting what Nikon announce next?

The 5d4 works great on centre lock af where u lock on from center and it follows.

Its 3d focus is poor like the d850.
yet they are similarly priced (on release) and the D850 is a far better camera in every other area except live view focus. I've not sen one complaint about the 5D4's poor 3d focus as there's plenty of AF modes that are superb. I would hazard a guess that the D850 will be at least on par with the 5D4 or even better so once again why all the fuss over 1 focus mode? I really really don't get it :confused:

I guess I've been so fortunate to own and use a A9 because that I leave on its 3d focus type and it nails focus and tracks for fun.
Yes but how much is that camera, and what is it's priority? The D850 is not aimed at the A9, if you want to compare then compare the A9 with the D5.

D850 was raved to have the same 3d tracking and af system as the d5 yet it does not....
Wrong, please listen to this. The D5 does have the same AF system as stated by Nikon. However, there are far more things such as processors, mechanical parts, battery power that all lead to AF speed, accuracy and tracking ability. Also, the D5 is 'only' processing 20mp files vs 45.7mp files of the D850, this I'm sure has an impact. As some people have mentioned on the Matt Granger video it will be interesting to see if the tracking ability gets closer to the D5 when used with the El-15a battery in the grip.

D850 is a brilliant camera but it's 3d tracking is rubbish. That's two videos showing it now from Nikon fanboy YouTubers too.
Rubbish is a bit harsh, but it's not brilliant in that it won't nail 90%+ shots in some situations. But show me any other Nikon camera where 3D tracking works well except the D5 (and possibly D4)?

Also I would say that the a7r2 tracks better than the d850 as well in similar 3d type af.
Maybe, I don't know.

Sorry but the d850 3D af is not good and that my friend is the only point I'm making about this camera. Nothing else.
But why so fixated on it? As I've said many times people won't use 3D tracking and using the better modes they will nail 90%+ of their sports pictures.

The reason I keep responding is that I'm baffled why you seem to be constantly fixated on this one thing? The reality is that people have to try and find flaws, some times they're worth worrying about, sometimes not. This is one of those where it's not. You say two Nikon fanboys show it's rubbish, well if you watch the video and listen to what they say they actually say it's good just not as good as the D5 (and I've explained why). Jared also goes on to show when used in your more conventional tracking mode it's excellent. Rather than bashing the camera you should take from it that when you choose the right AF mode AF tracking is excellent.

Have you seen people complaining about 3D tracking with the D750, D500 or whatever? No, not to my knowledge. Why is that? Because it's 'decent' but not a mode that a lot of people use for sports and action. So why is the D850 any different? It shouldn't be. One person brought out a video showing it's not as good as the D5 and it's sparked this unnecessary debate. What's even weirder is that Matt showed the same thing with the D500 as this uses the same AF system as the D5 (albeit without a dedicated processor) and no-one batted an eyelid that that wasn't as good as the D5. Why is that? I think that the D850 is such a great camera that people have to find a flaw in it somewhere, no matter how trivial. I personally never trust any camera to choose the AF point for me, I don't think I even would if I had the D5.

I don't have the D850, I can't afford it and probably never will so I have no reason to defend it. The only reason that I am is that this Matt Granger video has been taken out of context and blown out of all proportion. The D850 has a great focus system, it has been shown that it's more than capable of capturing fast action and pro sports shooters could quite happily use it without concern.

Exactly.

quite right.

Interesting, I've not seen that test. I get a better hit rate than the A9 using my D750. Last year at the London Marathon I was taking shots of runners coming towards me at the end of Birdcage walk which is tree lined which meant they were constantly in and out of shadows and bright sunlight and I nailed 90%+ probably closer to 95%+. Does this mean that the A9 has really poor tracking Jonney? ;) :p

Edit: And I was shooting at f2.8 all day for the record ;)

Last edited:
My d3300 is great at 3d tracking ,it has to be ,it's the only tracking it has lol
Well 3 D is the only 'true' tracking on any Nikon I believe (ie ones where you don't move the camera and let the AF point track the subject across the frame), the others are just various forms of AF-C although dynamic area is kind of closer to a tracking AF. However, single point AF-C is the only AF mode you need to shoot moving subjects. It will still track the focus of the subject, you just need to make sure that you follow the subject with the camera obviously ;)

Well 3 D is the only 'true' tracking on any Nikon I believe (ie ones where you don't move the camera and let the AF point track the subject across the frame), the others are just various forms of AF-C although dynamic area is kind of closer to a tracking AF. However, single point AF-C is the only AF mode you need to shoot moving subjects. It will still track the focus of the subject, you just need to make sure that you follow the subject with the camera obviously ;)
That's where I've been going wrong lol

ell 3 D is the only 'true' tracking on any Nikon I believe
Kind of depends. "Auto" is also fully tracking. As are all of the dynamic modes (they only limit the area of tracking), but this is where it gets complicated and where the manual is a bit misleading...

On cameras before the D5/500 the focus will track away from the initial point and *only* refocus if the subject is lost OR if something closer blocked the subject... and then the "blocked shot settings" dictate how quickly it refocuses on the closer subject.
On the D5/500 the focus will track, but the "blocked shot settings" start immediately, and it doesn't care if it's something closer (blocking) or farther away... if it can refocus it will, but surprisingly it won't attempt to refocus if there is nothing under the initial AF point. The settings are really more of a "refocus delay" or "re-check initial" as it's not really a time out (it's pretty short delay even at max settings).
I don't know how the D850 behaves, but I suspect it is the same as the D5/500.

Last edited:
Actually, no I didn't (and I've been using Nikons a long time :confused:) . I know you can move group mode, but I aways thought the other dynamic modes were always centered... maybe because that's the way I've always used them.

I'll check to verify, but I may have learned something new today!
As someone who works in Education, I'm glad I have brought my work home with me and passed on some knowledge. ;) :LOL:

Seriously, moving the focus areas comes in very useful for composing in camera by having the subject in the area of the scene you want, rather than in the centre and cropping. It is even more useful in DX cameras because of the wider spread of the Focus Points can give more composing options, and so less cropping. And the D500 has been even better than my previous D300S because of the AF points going to virtually the edge of the frame, nevermind more Focus Points and better AF overall. :) With FF DSLRs the AF is still pretty central, but that is a limitation of the design so far.

With regards to the D850 3D tracking hoohar, as a Nikon user for many years, it is not a mode I use, preferring a single point or a group to track a moving subject. Thankfully I have options with the D500 AF, in 9, 25 and 72 FP groups. Moveable of course. ;) I find myself using 9 and 25 the most.

Kind of depends. "Auto" is also fully tracking. As are all of the dynamic modes (they only limit the area of tracking), but this is where it gets complicated and where the manual is a bit misleading...

On cameras before the D5/500 the focus will track away from the initial point and *only* refocus if the subject is lost OR if something closer blocked the subject... and then the "blocked shot settings" dictate how quickly it refocuses on the closer subject.
On the D5/500 the focus will track, but the "blocked shot settings" start immediately, and it doesn't care if it's something closer (blocking) or farther away... if it can refocus it will, but surprisingly it won't attempt to refocus if there is nothing under the initial AF point. The settings are really more of a "refocus delay" or "re-check initial" as it's not really a time out (it's pretty short delay even at max settings).
I don't know how the D850 behaves, but I suspect it is the same as the D5/500.
This makes sense to me in that if it's in a 'true' tracking mode it should track the subject and not worry about what focus point initially locked on. If it took into account the initial focus point and as you say the subject moves away from this point it would then focus on something that you don't want such as the background.

The way that I see it is that 3D is a 'true' tracking AF in that it uses fancy software to recognise a subject using colours and other such voodoo magic and it will then track this subject across the frame. The other modes aren't tracking modes per se in that they just use AF-C on the focus points that you have chosen but don't 'track' the subject, they just constantly refocus on the object under the focus point(s). If your focus point then slips off the subject it will refocus on whatever the AF point is then on, although as you know you can set a delay as to how quickly it will refocus on the new 'subject', which is why if you have it set to max delay it won't suddenly jump to the background if your focus point slips off the subject momentarily, or something comes across in front momentarily. Dynamic mode is kind of a hybrid. I still don't see it as a true tracking AF, eg it's not 'locked' onto a subject via colours and other voodoo magic, but it will initiate other AF points if your initial point slips off the subject but is doing so by subject distance rather than subject recognition.

However, I think the term tracking AF now is often used to describe AF modes that are constantly refocussing on a subject as you follow it, such as single point AF-C. It doesn't track the subject per se but is constantly adjusting focus on the subject you're telling it to.

This is my understanding anyway, it's how it makes sense in my head :LOL: At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. As long as you can get consistent shots on moving subjects who cares if it's a true tracking mode or not ;) :p

With regards to the D850 3D tracking hoohar, as a Nikon user for many years, it is not a mode I use, preferring a single point or a group to track a moving subject. Thankfully I have options with the D500 AF, in 9, 25 and 72 FP groups. Moveable of course. ;) I find myself using 9 and 25 the most.

How do get 9 point in D500?

a few suggestions from Them Hogan on the Nikon D850
Greg Benz's Suggestions for the D850
I don't usually do this, but my friend Greg Benz has posted some good starting suggestions for using the D850, and I thought I'd cross comment on them. Greg's choices are quite good and very defendable, but I have a few points to make you might want to also consider.

• In RGB Histogram image review, remember that you need to then set the highlights display via the thumbnail button+pad. Greg's right, you only need this one view to tell you what's going on with your pixels, but the default is to only display the histogram; you have to add the highlights review.
  • If I have any real questions about Greg's settings, it has to do with Auto WB, Flat Picture Control, and AdobeRGB Color Space. What he's trying to do here is get a better histogram that more closely reflects the raw data. Sorry, but that's not a magic combo. I'm not sure that there is a truly magic combo you can set in camera, but the problem is that the raws are underexposed to the JPEGs (especially with the usual Picture Controls), and the WB twist to the red and blue channels can be a second gotcha. Realistically, you need UniWB with this camera (yeah, working on it).
  • AF limiting: for landscape shooting, these are rarely useful, as Greg implies. What is useful? Single Point and Group. Single Point gives you pinpoint focus control, Group gives you Closest Focus Priority across a small area.
  • Greg doesn't mention that CSM #D6 appears to also apply to Quiet Mode shooting. That can be useful if you're not on a tripod.
  • I'm not yet sure about his recommendation of 3 for the focus shift. Thing is, Nikon has embedded a CoC calculation into their steps. The actual steps vary with focal length and aperture based upon that CoC. I think I agree with him that 5—which everyone else is suggesting—probably isn't the right starting value to try for landscapes, it's something lower. That's because Nikon appears to be using a not very good CoC value (probably the same 0.033 as they mark the lenses, not 0.025 as the Zeiss calculations would suggest it should be, or 0.016 as some photo site calculations would suggest). Thus, when you step you have to be wary of slight DOF softness at the front/aft of the focal plane. Step too much and you'll get bad data in the merge. Step too little and it'll take you far too long to stitch the focus in post. Nikon hasn't helped us find the right middle ground, and I believe it to be different for macro work than for large landscape work.
  • As I've noted in my work on AF Fine Tune, don't average the results, select the median.
  • Yes, ISO 64 is where you want to be. Up to ISO 200 is okay, and with those ISO values set 14-bit Lossless Compressed. At ISO 400 and above, set 12-bit Lossless Compressed.
  • I can't quite agree with his loss-of-resolution off tripod comments. Pixel smear happens over time, thus a 1 pixel smear isn't actually a halving of total resolution. True, smear is not a good thing to have in your pixels, but at low levels I wouldn't worry about it, and deconvolution sharpening can help you recover from very low levels of that type of handling error.
  • Which aperture to use is still something I'm trying to come to grips with. Greg suggests f/8 to f/13. But f/8 is already diffraction limited on a D850. f/13 results are absolutely impacted by diffraction. The tradeoff here is acuity versus depth of field: you can't have both past f/5.6 on the D850. This is why focus shift (ugh, Nikon, what were you thinking using a derogatory term already used in optical evaluation?) becomes very important. Technically, to preserve everything the lens and camera can capture, you want to be at f/4 or f/5.6 and focus stacking to get your depth of field. And as noted above, Nikon didn't make it easy to figure out what the optimal settings to do that would be.
Sep 26, 2017, 11:49 AM

It came from multiple d850 places I follow
So to date one D850 may have an issue? Stop press ;) Obviously if it proves to be a design flaw then it's another major major faux pas from Nikon, but as it stands it appears to be an isolated event. Cameras can have faults, it's a fact of life unfortunately.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Canon-5D-Mark-IV-error-lost-confidence-in-product/td-p/200296
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4076652
https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/5d-mark-iv-error.5496103/
http://www.canonwatch.com/sensor-banding-issue-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/
http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=4280

Mind you going by the uproar that Matt Granger's video caused maybe we'll get a load of people jumping on the bandwagon again ;)

My D800 (or was it the D810... I forget) had the 'left focus point issue'. I remember reading all the angst on the owner's thread here, you'd have thought that Nikon were the spawn of Satan and that life was never going to be the same again. All that happened was that I sent my camera off to service and two days later it came back fixed... no cost to me and virtually no hassle. I never gave it another thought... What was all the fuss about?

If there are any 'issues' with the D850 then I really doubt it'll be much of an issue... they'll fix it and life will go on. Chill and enjoy a great camera.

My D800 (or was it the D810... I forget) had the 'left focus point issue'. I remember reading all the angst on the owner's thread here, you'd have thought that Nikon were the spawn of Satan and that life was never going to be the same again. All that happened was that I sent my camera off to service and two days later it came back fixed... no cost to me and virtually no hassle. I never gave it another thought... What was all the fuss about?

If there are any 'issues' with the D850 then I really doubt it'll be much of an issue... they'll fix it and life will go on. Chill and enjoy a great camera.

My D500 is now in it's 38th day at Nikon Service UK, possibly delayed by the 3rd D750 recall?
Problem is that with a series of cameras which have been faulty on release people are, perhaps understandably, looking for problems and that shouldn't be happening on equipment costing what the D850 does. :)

My D500 is now in it's 38th day at Nikon Service UK, possibly delayed by the 3rd D750 recall?
Problem is that with a series of cameras which have been faulty on release people are, perhaps understandably, looking for problems and that shouldn't be happening on equipment costing what the D850 does. :)
Sorry to hear that Gramps... hope they get it sorted soon.

I think this could be part of it, folk are waiting for the next Nikon cock up ;)

Seriously, moving the focus areas comes in very useful for composing in camera by having the subject in the area of the scene you want, rather than in the centre and cropping.
Yes, someimes. But with wildlife and other action type photography (what I photograph most) things tend to be too random to predict the composition (i.e. which way the subject will be moving). You can make a guess and hope...

This makes sense to me in that if it's in a 'true' tracking mode it should track the subject and not worry about what focus point initially locked on. If it took into account the initial focus point and as you say the subject moves away from this point it would then focus on something that you don't want such as the background.
Yes, the D5/D500 (and probably D850) will happily refocus on the BG once the delay has expired. Earlier Nikons won't (unless the subject is lost). They all track in all dynamic modes (i.e. abandon the initial AF point), the only thing 3D does is add color information from the metering sensor into the equation... I imagine this increases the processing demands significantly, and it might be why the D5 (w/ larger buffer/ram) is the only one that does pretty well in that mode.

Back