Nikon d850 "in development"

Yes, my original statement was a bit misleading... the Nikon VR system uses LEDs. It's just that the design of these particular lenses causes the LEDs to not be terribly well isolated from the optical path.
So a 'flawed' design by Nikon then? Are these LEDs on all the time or just when VR is active?

I'm with you though, why this camera and not others?

So a 'flawed' design by Nikon then? Are these LEDs on all the time or just when VR is active?
On these lenses the LEDs are on even w/ VR disabled. They probably turn off with the other VR lenses not listed?

I'm with you though, why this camera and not others?
Maybe they figure they have gone so far down the pixel peeping hole that they will get complaints of a fault if they don't disclaim it up front. ;)

Last edited:
Apparently the same list is in the D500 manual as well. Maybe the pixel size introduces a particularly high vulnerability to shot noise (it would be higher no doubt). Or maybe they changed the CFA or IR filter in attempt to get better fill... With a little more research it seems that some of the lenses on the list will turn off the LED if the lens itself is *also* put into manual focus mode (depowering the AF motor and LED) i.e. 18-200, but maybe not with others i.e. 16-35.

It also seems to be reported most often with astro photography (30min+ at low ISO) and I saw where one induced it on a D500 by using the H5 ISO, and a D3 ISO 25600 and 30 sec... so when they say "long/high" it seems they mean *REALLY* long/high, or some pretty silly combination. That would explain why I've never noticed it (and it doesn't get a lot of attention).

Edit: Note that it's been reproduced on many Nikon bodies, so it's not limited to the D850/D500 by any means... but there is a chance that they are somewhat worse in this sensitivity and that's why they added the list (or maybe they're just acknowledging it now and it will be in all manuals going forward).

Last edited:
Maybe the pixel size introduces a particularly high vulnerability to shot noise....
Let's not forget that the D3200, D3300, D3400, D5200, D5300, D5500, D5600, D7100 and D7200 all have smaller pixels than the D850. So if this is an issue, it's been around for a long time - over five years - with Nikon either not noticing it or not bothering to tell people about it.

Let's not forget that the D3200, D3300, D3400, D5200, D5300, D5500, D5600, D7100 and D7200 all have smaller pixels than the D850. So if this is an issue, it's been around for a long time - over five years - with Nikon either not noticing it or not bothering to tell people about it.
Yeah, "Nikon" wasn't aware that they "broke" the dynamic AF behaviors with the new 153 point system... and they aren't admitting/talking about it now either.

Perhaps the sensor being BSI ?? makes it more prevalent - pure speculation of course.
Except that the D500 isn't BSI.

Except that the D500 isn't BSI
I know, but the D850 is - and it was that under discussion and the manual page you posted - do Nikon make the same disclaimer in the D500 manual? ... but as I said pure speculation ... :) I suspect that it will only affect 0.000000001% of users but now it is on the internet everyone will be seeing this effect
/end_cynic

(or maybe they're just acknowledging it now and it will be in all manuals going forward)
Ha! I just looked in my D5 manual and the list is there as well... so D5/D500/D850.

I suspect that it will only affect 0.000000001% of users but now it is on the internet everyone will be seeing this effect
I bet that there's going to be a lot of people trying to reproduce it. If were lucky, it will make all of those lenses "undesirable" and dirt cheap. Oh, wait,... I own several of the expensive ones... :(

Ha! I just looked in my D5 manual and the list is there as well... so D5/D500/D850.
Well that knackered my theory :cool:

I bet that there's going to be a lot of people trying to reproduce it. If were lucky, it will make all of those lenses "undesirable" and dirt cheap. Oh, wait,... I own several of the expensive ones... :(
They will still do their job for you, I wouldn't worry too much unless you have an imminent system change planned :)

Maybe after the whole D600 and D750 'fiasco' Nikon have just decided to put disclaimers for everything so things can't come back to bite them, so maybe we'll see this in all future manuals?

I asked for a D850 to be put away on the next batch that arrived at my nearest camera shop expecting maybe get one for christmas? To my surprise I got a phone call yesterday saying they had got me one in, so went to get it today !

As I do 99% wildlife and have upgraded from the D10 will post my findings over the next week or so if weather allows of course?

Last edited:
I asked for a D850 to be put away on the next batch that arrived at my nearest camera shop expecting maybe get one for christmas? To my surprise I got a phone call yesterday saying they had got me one in, so went to get it today !

As I do 99% wildlife and have upgraded from the D10 will post my findings over the next week or so if weather allows of course?
Looking forward to your new images already :)

Looking forward to your new images already :)

Cheers Adam, I not expecting day and night difference as the D810 was already outstanding! But be interesting on bigger crops and to see how the focusing system has improved etc ?

Cheers Adam, I not expecting day and night difference as the D810 was already outstanding! But be interesting on bigger crops and to see how the focusing system has improved etc ?
Yes will be good to see, I love my D500 but times when I miss the D810 but D850 really is way outside my reach especially after picking up a 600mm recently

Yes will be good to see, I love my D500 but times when I miss the D810 but D850 really is way outside my reach especially after picking up a 600mm recently

Yes the D810 is awesome and prices are really low for such a good camera in classifieds at moment? I did really well with PX on the D850 and as mine was a grey import not to much of a loss! I just couldn't go back to crop after using full frame, the D850 hopefully now should give that extra bit of croppability on long shots blurring any advantage the DX models had :)

Hope you been training carry that 600 around haha!

Hope you been training carry that 600 around haha!
Not had chance been away with work loads since getting it but knew it was going to be like that, hopefully get to see some red stag rutting this coming week if not plenty of time of winter during weekends and next spring :)

well, the process that always leads me to the inevitable biting of the bullet has begun.

I'm devouring d850 reviews / wedding first impression blogs. I'm internally justifying purchasing one (going to leave my job next summer and getting a full year's severance package and will try to go full time with photography so i can have time to really use my camera gear properly)...

...trouble is - nowhere seems to have them on stock. Got my last wedding of the year at the beginning of november but doubt i'll be able to get one by then :eek:

well, the process that always leads me to the inevitable biting of the bullet has begun.

I'm devouring d850 reviews / wedding first impression blogs. I'm internally justifying purchasing one (going to leave my job next summer and getting a full year's severance package and will try to go full time with photography so i can have time to really use my camera gear properly)...

...trouble is - nowhere seems to have them on stock. Got my last wedding of the year at the beginning of november but doubt i'll be able to get one by then :eek:

I think it a lottery at moment and certainly not something you can put a date on, my friend ordered his from Jessops a good 3 or 4 weeks before me!

I asked a small independent shop to put me away one when they had the next ones in, I waited less than a couple of weeks? I was quite shocked when I got the phone call as was expecting mine to be this side of Christmas if I was lucky.

One annoyance is the unbelievable price hike in XQD cards now Sony are the only ones selling them

I'm internally justifying purchasing one (going to leave my job next summer and getting a full year's severance package and will try to go full time with photography so i can have time to really use my camera gear properly)...
Will try to go full time as in professionally? If so, you need to get into the habit of basing your justification on what you *need*, what will earn you money, and not on what you *want*. The answer might be a D850, but I'd bet that if most professionals were honest with themselves, a shiny new body is not at the top of the best-return-on-investment list.

Will try to go full time as in professionally? If so, you need to get into the habit of basing your justification on what you *need*, what will earn you money, and not on what you *want*. The answer might be a D850, but I'd bet that if most professionals were honest with themselves, a shiny new body is not at the top of the best-return-on-investment list.

I would suggest that if you are a Nikon user and earning money from photography then the D850 is a very good all rounder, it’s not about a ‘shiny new model’ but the output of what that model will do for you. The silent shutter and articulated screen is ideal for wedding photography and classical concerts, it’s a far cry from the mirror lock up and stifled cough.

I would suggest that if you are a Nikon user and earning money from photography then the D850 is a very good all rounder, it’s not about a ‘shiny new model’ but the output of what that model will do for you. The silent shutter and articulated screen is ideal for wedding photography and classical concerts, it’s a far cry from the mirror lock up and stifled cough.
No, as a business the question really should be... "is your current camera *preventing* you from doing the work and having satisfied clients?" If it's not, then there is no financial/business benefit to buying new gear.

The answer could be "sometimes" and a new bit might be the answer... maybe you will be allowed to photograph the ceremony after demonstrating the silent feature where you otherwise would not, and that could make the client happier, and that could generate more income/business. But that's a $3k+ investment that needs to be recouped for a maybe...

No, as a business the question really should be... "is your current camera *preventing* you from doing the work and having satisfied clients?" If it's not, then there is no financial/business benefit to buying new gear.

The answer could be "sometimes" and a new bit might be the answer... maybe you will be allowed to photograph the ceremony after demonstrating the silent feature where you otherwise would not, and that could make the client happier, and that could generate more income/business. But that's a $3k+ investment that needs to be recouped for a maybe...
Lets not take all the enjoyment out of Photography eh by looking at things purely in the black and white of business. :rolleyes: If business is good, and/or it is not your only source of income, and you are living hand to mouth, then maybe treat yourself just like everyone else. :)

Last edited:
First couple of test shots using D850 both with 600 F4 FL

First thing I noticed coming from the D810 is the 7fps so put it to CL for now rather than blast lots of shots off :)

Setup a breeze as well coming from D810 most things are in the same place in the menu

not much about so a tufty and magpie it is!

Nikon D850 Test Shot (Magpie) by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Nikon D850 Test Shot (Tufted Duck) by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Possibly no for you, but yes for me hence my previous reply.

Ive been using the D850 for a few weeks now and love it - the only thing that bugs me is the fact they have swapped the ISO and mode buttons around. Coming from the D810 my muscle memory has me switching modes when Im supposed to be adjusting ISO lol.

Ive been using the D850 for a few weeks now and love it - the only thing that bugs me is the fact they have swapped the ISO and mode buttons around. Coming from the D810 my muscle memory has me switching modes when Im supposed to be adjusting ISO lol.

The + and - buttons have also changed position on the rear of the camera because of the addition of the Fn button on the bottom. So i keep pressing - instead of + for zooming in images on the screen! I know you can use the touchscreen to pinch and zoom but old dogs new tricks etc will take a little while get used to it !

Had the D850 3 weeks now and managed a couple of trips out. I moved from the D800 which is an excellent camera but the D850 is better in almost all respects, drop a prime on it and the detail is pretty incredible.

Main highlights over the D800 for me are:

• Better noise handling... some reviews say high iso isn't any better but it definitely is over the D800, cleans up much more easily..I'd happily use Iso8000 with the D850 which I wouldn't with the D800
  • Image sharpness - Obviously a bit of pixel peeping but it's noticeable from the D800, lack of AA filter no doubt has some influence so D810 might not be quite so noticeable... I think improved "mirror slap" and front curtain help too.
  • Focusing - big improvement over the D800, autofocuses in much darker conditions where D800 just wouldn't
  • Tilt LCD - really useful for tripod mounted shots

There are other things too but haven't had chance to fully try out everything as yet.

First few shots in Snowdonia with it

p2534604135-5.jpg

p2578387288-5.jpg

p2578387220-5.jpg

Last edited:
lovely shots Simon. I'm thinking about getting more into landscapes (for pleasure) rather than just doing weddings all the time. Seeing shots like that definitely pushes me to do so! And reading posts like yours and others is definitely pushing me to open my wallet up! :D

lovely shots Simon. I'm thinking about getting more into landscapes (for pleasure) rather than just doing weddings all the time. Seeing shots like that definitely pushes me to do so! And reading posts like yours and others is definitely pushing me to open my wallet up! :D

Thanks, glad you like them... what I would say though is that if you don't want to open your wallet quite so wide the D810 is a brilliant camera at nearly half the price of the D850 and well worth considering. the difference in cost would leave you a bit spare for some good lenses if you don't already have any too

Simon

Had the D850 3 weeks now and managed a couple of trips out. I moved from the D800 which is an excellent camera but the D850 is better in almost all respects, drop a prime on it and the detail is pretty incredible.

Main highlights over the D800 for me are:

• Better noise handling... some reviews say high iso isn't any better but it definitely is over the D800, cleans up much more easily..I'd happily use Iso8000 with the D850 which I wouldn't with the D800
  • Image sharpness - Obviously a bit of pixel peeping but it's noticeable from the D800, lack of AA filter no doubt has some influence so D810 might not be quite so noticeable... I think improved "mirror slap" and front curtain help too.
  • Focusing - big improvement over the D800, autofocuses in much darker conditions where D800 just wouldn't
  • Tilt LCD - really useful for tripod mounted shots

There are other things too but haven't had chance to fully try out everything as yet.

Well I had my first proper trip with the D850 a couple of weeks ago to North Wales, the weather didn't play ball most days but it's still such a grate place, Cadair Idris was a highlight for me on this trip as I hadn't been there before. I had no idea you were on this forum but I've been to North Wales a few times but took a copy of your book on this trip, it's so handy with postcodes etc for the places I visit, saves so much time. So firstly well done on the book, it's awesome and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Secondly I have to agree with you regarding the D850, it's such a pleasure to use and the output is amazing. Can't wait for my next trip to North Wales with it!

Well I had my first proper trip with the D850 a couple of weeks ago to North Wales, the weather didn't play ball most days but it's still such a grate place, Cadair Idris was a highlight for me on this trip as I hadn't been there before. I had no idea you were on this forum but I've been to North Wales a few times but took a copy of your book on this trip, it's so handy with postcodes etc for the places I visit, saves so much time. So firstly well done on the book, it's awesome and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Secondly I have to agree with you regarding the D850, it's such a pleasure to use and the output is amazing. Can't wait for my next trip to North Wales with it!

Don't post on the forum that often to be honest Jason. The weather has been more changeable than ever this year so it's not easy to time trips to get great light, I was lucky with these last Wednesday.

Glad you're finding the book useful and thanks for the recommendation...hope you have more luck with the light next time!

Simon

i've got a d850 and some xqd cards arriving on wednesday! Couldn't help myself. Very excited but not sure if i should go ahead and use it for the wedding i have coming up this saturday as i won't have much time to get used to it...I should have time to calibrate my lenses though, or at least the ones that i plan to stick on the 850.

Been using a d810 plus d750 combo for the last several weddings which is great. Thinking of using the 850 with the 810 and leaving the 750 as back up.

Is the 850's auto af fine tune any good?

i've got a d850 and some xqd cards arriving on wednesday! Couldn't help myself. Very excited but not sure if i should go ahead and use it for the wedding i have coming up this saturday as i won't have much time to get used to it...I should have time to calibrate my lenses though, or at least the ones that i plan to stick on the 850.

Been using a d810 plus d750 combo for the last several weddings which is great. Thinking of using the 850 with the 810 and leaving the 750 as back up.

Is the 850's auto af fine tune any good?

Definitely not mate, I would never advise anyone to use a new camera at a wedding unless they are totally familiar with it first. Whilst many of the controls and menus are similar, there will be added layer of unnecessary stress until you are totally comfortable with it. It’s a bit the like feeling of driving a new car for the first time, concentrating on the controls first and not the road secondly when it should be the other way around.

I’m still getting to grips with my my D850 and set the menus up over the weekend but I’m going to ease it in gently first with a few zero pressure shoots.

Definitely not mate, I would never advise anyone to use a new camera at a wedding unless they are totally familiar with it first. Whilst many of the controls and menus are similar, there will be added layer of unnecessary stress until you are totally comfortable with it. It’s a bit the like feeling of driving a new car for the first time, concentrating on the controls first and not the road secondly when it should be the other way around.

I’m still getting to grips with my my D850 and set the menus up over the weekend but I’m going to ease it in gently first with a few zero pressure shoots.

yeah, I think you're definitely right and certainly confirming what i already knew really..just my excitement getting the better of me ;) It's a shame as it's my last wedding of the year, but at least I'll have plenty of incentive to 'get out there' in november and december with the d850 and learn it inside out!

Last edited:
Dunnock at 1400 ISO, the only reason it was at 1/1000 was because I had been shooting some action just before when this landed and I didn't get the chance to change to a lower shutter speed

Ok I forgot ! Blame it on my age :)

ƒ/7.1 600.0 mm 1/1000 1400 ISO

Dunnock (1400 ISO) by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Back