1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Second time out with the D850. I thought I'd try an early evening shot and a memory for Snerkler.

Locally, we have a place called Matlock Bath and every year for about six weeks, all the trees, buildings and the river Derwent are lit up. The village calls this the Venetian Nights and it started around 1835. At weekends, there are fully lit and decorated boats that get rowed along the river Derwent. The big shame is that at the weekends, it is almost impossible to park and it's hard work just moving about. The whole place gets packed. This one was taken on Tuesday evening when it was a bit less hectic.

[​IMG]Matlock Bath by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    One of my favourite places, it's like a seafront but not by the sea :LOL: We tried to get to the illuminations a couple of years ago but ended up having to turn around and go back as the roads were gridlocked. We're going to try again this year but head out earlier.

Lovely image btw. I'm going to have to pick your brains one day about your PP ;)

FiestaRed likes this.
  3. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Even midweek, when the lights are on, the car parks fill up pretty quickly. I arrived about half past five yesterday evening and managed to get one of the few parking spots that were still available. The lights, fireworks and illuminated boats at the weekend are brilliant but you probably need to be there by Tuesday to book your parking spot. ;)

snerkler likes this.
  4. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not sure if it's my imagination but although the D850s files are bigger, for me, they seem to load quicker than those from my D810 using a CF card. Don't know if that's anything to do with the XQD card or what.

5. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Load to where, into software or just transferring them across to the computer? Transferring my files to the computer is super quick, but that's to be expected as read speed of my XQD is 400mb/s vs 95mb/s of my old SD cards ;)

FiestaRed likes this.
  6. Elmer_fudd25

Elmer_fudd25

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I agree lovely images. I would also be very keen to hear what you have done in PP if you wouldn't mind please?

FiestaRed likes this.
  7. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Loading from the card into Lightroom on the PC Toby, I bought one of the Sony XQD USB adapters that was recommended on here. Transferring files from my D810 through a Lexar card reader and the CF card was never quick.

snerkler likes this.
  8. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    I would guess it's due to the read speed of the card. I would imagine LR takes more time to process the files, but the transfer should depend primarily on the read speed (and of course the transfer speed of the reader)

FiestaRed likes this.
  9. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the PP, I can't say as I do anything really different. Most of the work is done in Lightroom and then into Photoshop to look for dust and to tidy any odd things up. I never spend more than 15 to 20 minutes on an image where as in the photographic group I belong to one of the members often spends up to 10 hours or more processing his images but they are amazing when he's finished.

I like to enjoy my photography from start to finish. For me, that's from planning the shots I'm going after, including looking where the sun is and the weather in general, taking the shots and finally sitting down for the PP. I probably spend far longer planning a shot than actually taking it and doing the PP. A bit sad really.:)

10. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Toby.

11. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm the same, I spend little time in PP these days, I have a preset that I use on import (mainly just a bit of sharpening, and camera profile with yellows turned down) and then the odd crop and exposure tweak. I would say you have very good use of highlights, shadows and clarity by the way your shots look, and of course good use of light in the first place (y)

Re the member who spends 10 hours PP'ing an image, does it look anything like the original when he's done? :eek:

gcgraphs and FiestaRed like this.
  12. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    FiestaRed, kingo15 and trevorbray like this.
  13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Another one on the D850 learning curve. This is a shot from the interior of St Peter's church in Edensor village on the Chatsworth House estate in Derbyshire. It's a really beautiful church but very dark inside, it also has some form of lighting system that switches off if you don't move so I also had that to contend with.

[​IMG]Edensor St Peter's Flickr by Mike Swain, on Flickr

14. swiftflo

swiftflo

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Cannot be anything but envious of the shot of Matlock bath and the church interior. Just wish I could get images like them.

FiestaRed likes this.
  15. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the kind words. I have to admit to be a bit anal with the shot of St Peter's, I must have spent five minutes rearranging the red books on the shelves behind the seats to get them all facing the same way. Now that is really SAD.:(

snerkler likes this.
  16. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Nice pic, I've never actually been into Edensor although driven right past it many many times. Is it empty more often than not in the church?

17. FiestaRed

FiestaRed

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Toby, there are notices on their website with various meetings listed but I think on the whole, St Peter's is not all that busy. There were a couple of workmen in and out of the church this morning but they, along with the villagers all spoke or came to talk. If it's of any interest, there are two "Fire Trees" on the Chatsworth Estate, not too far from the bridge over the Derwent and just off of the road leading to the house. They are in full colour at the minute being almost bright red. Not sure how long they'll last though with the high winds that have been battering the area.

snerkler likes this.
  18. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Yeah the weather's not great at the mo, hopefully I can get next week (I'm at Donington this weekend) (y)

FiestaRed likes this.