Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Ok I've just joined the D850 club, camera only arrived yesterday and this is the first basic shot of our collie dog, I had the wrong settings for medium file size etc, will take me a while to get used to it.

Breia

Breia by APM Photography, on Flickr

Samyang 85mm f1.4 - manual focus - iso 800

i have the nikon 17-35mm f2.8
was looking at the nikon 14-24 f2.8
is it a good upgrade to this lens or just a side step ?

Had a similar thought or do you need 15mm and 16mm and hence just go for a 14mm prime?

The 14-24 is an amazing lens! it is however completely different to a 17-35 so it is something you will probably use in addition to you 17-35 unless you want to invest in a filter system for 14-24.

I purchased my 14-24 years ago before a trip to Iceland, I used it a lot more than I expected, it was amazing for shooting the Aurora, Ice caves etc.

Wingfield Manor in Derbyshire

The ruins of the medieval manor house built in the 1440s for the wealthy Ralph, Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of England. Later the home of the Earl Of Shrewsbury, husband of Bess Of Hardwick who imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots there in the 1560s and 1580s.

Wingfield Manor II by Mike Swain, on Flickr

The view from St Bartholomew's in Clay Cross.

After trying most nights for sunsets over the last 10 days or so, this was the best I could come up with. I've had most conditions up there from freezing fog to heavy rain with only the slightest hint of a sunset.

Clay Cross II by Mike Swain, on Flickr

High Peak Junction

Another early morning at High Peak Junction on the Cromford Canal near Matlock Bath in Derbyshire. Great to see the work on the sheds is finished and the scaffolding has been removed.

High Peak by Mike Swain, on Flickr

My recently purchased Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 arrived this morning from Andy from this parish, had a brief outing with it late this afternoon when light was fading, very dull/flat light, I'd to bump up the iso to 2000

Breia

200mm end - handheld - @ f/4.5 - iso 2000

My recently purchased Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 arrived this morning from Andy from this parish, had a brief outing with it late this afternoon when light was fading, very dull/flat light, I'd to bump up the iso to 2000

Breia

200mm end - handheld - @ f/4.5 - iso 2000
Wonderful

I upgraded from a D800e to the D850. With the XQD card and faster frame rate the D850 is greatly superior for aviation photography. I have a low count (13033) D800e body in immaculate condition for sale now, which I need to sell to pay for the D850.

Just read that they’re doing a firmware update for the Z6/7 to make it work with CFexpress, any word whether they’re doing the same for the D850?

has anyone used the nikon 24-120 f4 on the 850 ? if so
is the lens up to it with the hi res sensor ?

The End Of The Line

Blue skies and a heavy frost greet the old signal box on the Midland Railway at Butterley in Derbyshire. The railway line at this point passes over the Butterley Reservoir and the frost on the wooden sleepers made walking along the line a bit tricky underfoot.

Signal Box Frost by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
The End Of The Line

Blue skies and a heavy frost greet the old signal box on the Midland Railway at Butterley in Derbyshire. The railway line at this point passes over the Butterley Reservoir and the frost on the wooden sleepers made walking along the line a bit tricky underfoot.

Signal Box Frost by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Lovely picture. Very well seen and taken.

can anyone tell me how to activate 3d tracking in live view i canny seem to get it to work !!
looking through the viewfinder it seem to work ok but not on lv

anyone using the sigma 50-500mm os version ?
whats it like on the d850 for iq ?
any good or bad points ?

can anyone tell me how to activate 3d tracking in live view i canny seem to get it to work !!
looking through the viewfinder it seem to work ok but not on lv
I don't think you can have 3D tracking in live view, you get subject tracking instead. See page 43/44 of the manual (y)

Haven't had my D850 in my hands for over 2 weeks!
Got taken in with a heart attack and within 12 hrs went down with Pancreatitis and a lung infection.
Need to restore my strength now before anymore trips out with the camera and a gallbladder removal operation.
Not the best 2 weeks in my life but on the positive side, I lost more body weight than the combined weight of my kit :)

Haven't had my D850 in my hands for over 2 weeks!
Got taken in with a heart attack and within 12 hrs went down with Pancreatitis and a lung infection.
Need to restore my strength now before anymore trips out with the camera and a gallbladder removal operation.
Not the best 2 weeks in my life but on the positive side, I lost more body weight than the combined weight of my kit :)
Sorry to hear that, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Gramps they say it happens in 3’s but you’re going to get a 4th for good measure!
Good luck with the op. and wishing you a quick and strong recovery.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery 'gramps', your health comes first before anything else in this world as I've found out. Fast recovery my friend..!!!!

Best wishes;
Peter

Gramps they say it happens in 3’s but you’re going to get a 4th for good measure!
Good luck with the op. and wishing you a quick and strong recovery.
Wishing you a very speedy recovery 'gramps', your health comes first before anything else in this world as I've found out. Fast recovery my friend..!!!!

Best wishes;
Peter
get well soon Gramps remember your health is your wealth

Thanks guys :)

Wife reminded me I'm 50 later this year and gave me a budget. Do I need a D850, will it make me a better photographer? No but I want one :). I nearly bit the bullet when they were first released but my lens set up was more DX than FX so i bought a D500 which is a superb body.

Also, get well soon Gramps(y)

Back