Nikon Df....First images

Thanks for posting your thoughts Guy.
It's not for everyone I'm sure (the dials will be a dealbreaker for some), but it's a superb camera for discreet documentary work and pretty much the best low-light performance available anywhere.
But isn't the low light auto-focus (which is part of low-light performance) worse than some of Nikon's other models?

It's a little worse than the D3s. But it has a better sensor and the reaction from subjects (both in terms of noise and appearance) is very welcome.

Does that mean it's no good?

No.

I'm ordering a second one tomorrow. Bearing in mind I'm an available light shooter that should tell you something.

I'm quite tempted by this camera as Panamoz have it for £1500 which I realise is a grey import but it seems worth the gamble given I won't be relying on it for work and it's a lot cheaper than the UK Df's (£2400 seems the cheapest). I've had the D700 a while and it's been great, the D800 didn't really appeal but the D4 sensor in the Df with its improved low light performance definitely does plus it looks a bit smaller and lighter than the D700. The retro look is also appealing not for it being retro but just because it doesn't look like a professional DSLR, people can be quite unnerved bby the look of the D700. The AF is a slight concern although at the lower price much less so as is the smaller grip for using it with the bigger lenses.

John

Quite like the look of the DF mainly as I like the idea of being able to change settings quickly without having to faff about squinting at an LCD display while twiddling a control dial. I use a D610 and if I want to even *check* my shutter speed I have to press at least one button wheras with the DF it's always plainly obvious what my shutter speed is without having to press anything. I would also like a dedicated ISO dial. The fact that the DF has poor autofocus would not bother me as I do not own any auto focus lenses.

It's a little worse than the D3s. But it has a better sensor and the reaction from subjects (both in terms of noise and appearance) is very welcome.

No.

I'm ordering a second one tomorrow. Bearing in mind I'm an available light shooter that should tell you something.

The most important point has been missed, what colour did you go for?

So are your other bodies going on sale straight away, or are you keeping them for a while in case you change your mind?

I trust you're aslso going to update your wardrobe to complete the new look. A classic car would be icing on the cake.

Classic camera and vintage jag I like - no to the monocle, and the ill-fitting slacks? No, no, no, you've gone way off track there. And you can lose the yellow jersey (keep the Wiggins sideburns if you like). I'm thinking slim suit: sleeves, lapels, legs, tapered at the waist - 2 button jacket, 2 pockets with flaps, legs just clipping your shoes. So modern, but a little bit 60s. I'm going to get married again, just so you can photograph it.

Radiohead, this is a little off topic, what are your thoughts regarding shooting a wedding with primes with one body vs two? especially the not having to change lenses with two bodies vs having to change camera settings with two bodies?
And really how the df fits in with that.

I'm not clear what you mean there - can you clarify.....
yes, sorry. Often when people shoot primes only they say its better to use two bodies. Say a 35 on one and 85 on the other. But the counter arguement is that each time you switch camera you need to change camera settings, which slows you down, maybe enough that it would be easier to simply change lenses.
I wondered with the way the df is set up with its manual dials what you felt about this, as you have 2 bodies, if you are using both together at the same time or one is just backup. And is it generally easier to have two bodies with primes with the df or is one enough?
I have been thinking about switching to the df and a prime only setup for some time. Still thinking about it. But cant decide if I would do a two body setup, i feel a one body setup with lens changes would in many ways feel more natural to me. Id obviously have backups etc.

Ah ok - understood. I shoot with only primes, on 2 bodies. Normally I'm using a 35/1.4 for most of the day, so the second body will have whatever option might work best for wherever I am. So for the B&G shots I'll have an 85mm on it, for the speeches I might go 35/50 or 24/50, for the ceremony, often 24/35 if I'm at the front and for the reception usually 24/35. It doesn't take long to adjust the second (so as I walk into the church I'll switch both to ISO 3200 say).

That said I know plenty who prefer one body and something like a 24-70 to cover all bases. Both work, it's just down to personal pref really. Or some carry a lens changer on their belt and swap one lens to the single body. Personally I prefer a second body on me in case on fails at a critical point and I can't get to a backup if it's in a bag/car/room.

Hello Guy, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the single card slot having moved from a dual slot/in-camera backup capable system? Is it any concern, would you use one high-capacity card for a whole wedding or several smaller cards to minimise the risk of data loss to card failure? Then again, in swapping cards you may be more likely to lose a card especially with those fiddly SD ones it uses...

If you know anyone who wants to trade one for a D800e could you let me know? I've been thinking about it for a while. My D800e is about 4 months old and well minty as well as low use.

Hello Guy, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the single card slot having moved from a dual slot/in-camera backup capable system? Is it any concern, would you use one high-capacity card for a whole wedding or several smaller cards to minimise the risk of data loss to card failure? Then again, in swapping cards you may be more likely to lose a card especially with those fiddly SD ones it uses...

Hi John

I've never backed up to the second slot anyway, I just fill card 1 and then card 2 using the D3s. So it's not really something I've worried about. I use 32GB cards for both D3s and now the Df so don't need to change cards during the day.

Reactions: jpw
Ah ok - understood. I shoot with only primes, on 2 bodies. Normally I'm using a 35/1.4 for most of the day, so the second body will have whatever option might work best for wherever I am. So for the B&G shots I'll have an 85mm on it, for the speeches I might go 35/50 or 24/50, for the ceremony, often 24/35 if I'm at the front and for the reception usually 24/35. It doesn't take long to adjust the second (so as I walk into the church I'll switch both to ISO 3200 say).

That said I know plenty who prefer one body and something like a 24-70 to cover all bases. Both work, it's just down to personal pref really. Or some carry a lens changer on their belt and swap one lens to the single body. Personally I prefer a second body on me in case on fails at a critical point and I can't get to a backup if it's in a bag/car/room.

THats what I was after in terms of info, thanks for your help :)

Classic camera and vintage jag I like - no to the monocle, and the ill-fitting slacks? No, no, no, you've gone way off track there. And you can lose the yellow jersey (keep the Wiggins sideburns if you like). I'm thinking slim suit: sleeves, lapels, legs, tapered at the waist - 2 button jacket, 2 pockets with flaps, legs just clipping your shoes. So modern, but a little bit 60s. I'm going to get married again, just so you can photograph it.

I'm thinking this would suit

And Austin Healey rather than Jag, Jags are driven by cads.

whats a cad?

No.

if its anything like the D610 the AF is fine, its the same as the DF I think. There is just a slight pause before it kicks into action, almost feels like its thinking about what its going to focus on before doing it. I've only used the D610 for studio work and detail shots at weddings, but but I've got no doubt the AF is ore than capable in low light situations.

if its anything like the D610 the AF is fine, its the same as the DF I think. There is just a slight pause before it kicks into action, almost feels like its thinking about what its going to focus on before doing it.
It's painful just reading that. IMO, fine isn't really good enough at the price range. It's clearly a great camera for a pro, and I think it really should have taken the AF from the D800.

It's more than good enough. Frankly a load of crap has been churned out online about this camera, mostly by people who've never actually used it. I know shedloads of pros shooting on D600/610's and AF isn't considered an issue. Christ, I know people shooting with a pair of X-Pro 1's (let alone XE2 or XT1's) and the 600/610/Df leaves that standing for AF. I'd also wager there's a good deal of technique and set-up that will determine just how the camera performs.

I will say this as well. The Df made me slow down a bit. Hit the shutter on a D3s and you've rattled of 2 or 3 frames before you've blinked. I really enjoyed the way the Df made me work.

The second one arrived yesterday, so I'll be shooting with a pair of Df's for this entire season now, so 43 weddings. That's a pretty resounding positive from me at least.

http://www.guycollierphotography.com/gate-street-barn-abbey-anthony/

All but 9 of those shots are Df.

It's painful just reading that. IMO, fine isn't really good enough at the price range. It's clearly a great camera for a pro, and I think it really should have taken the AF from the D800.

If the AF was from the D800 and it had two sd slots it would have been perfect for me, but I'm guessing Nikon avoided that so not to take sales away from the D4. My opinion of 'fine' is relative to the D3s's I normally use, which is simply awesome.

It's more than good enough. Frankly a load of crap has been churned out online about this camera, mostly by people who've never actually used it. I know shedloads of pros shooting on D600/610's and AF isn't considered an issue. Christ, I know people shooting with a pair of X-Pro 1's (let alone XE2 or XT1's) and the 600/610/Df leaves that standing for AF. I'd also wager there's a good deal of technique and set-up that will determine just how the camera performs.

I will say this as well. The Df made me slow down a bit. Hit the shutter on a D3s and you've rattled of 2 or 3 frames before you've blinked. I really enjoyed the way the Df made me work.

The second one arrived yesterday, so I'll be shooting with a pair of Df's for this entire season now, so 43 weddings. That's a pretty resounding positive from me at least.

Beautiful images as always, lovely tones even with mixed light sources - shooting bridal prep in the 'bedroom' at Gate Street is a bit of a baptism of fire.

Cheers Phil. Not the largest room is it, and they've now sadly stopped letting out the lovely Keeper's Cottage a few hundred yards away.

If the AF was from the D800 and it had two sd slots it would have been perfect for me, but I'm guessing Nikon avoided that so not to take sales away from the D4. My opinion of 'fine' is relative to the D3s's I normally use, which is simply awesome.

I have no idea why anyone is worrying about the focus speed of the DF, anyway, how do you feel about the lack of dual card slots? if you were shooting just one DF would you feel comfortable in only having one card slot?

Not overly to be honest. I'd never shoot with just one body though.

As I've never backup up to the second card on my older D3s's anyway this is no different in practice.

It's more than good enough.
There are times when it's too dark for my D800 to focus well, certainly on the outer sensors (1.4 lens), so I just don't like the idea of having an issue. I know you'd have thoroughly tested the DF before using it at a wedding - have you shot in as dark locations as you sometimes encounter during a season?
Frankly a load of crap has been churned out online about this camera
No doubt. I'm not slagging it off, you don't need to be defensive :) It's obviously the best camera available for you at the moment, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. Don't you wish the AF was better in low light?

I know shedloads of pros shooting on D600/610's and AF isn't considered an issue.
You probably know pros using f4 lenses too, and for their style they're perfectly fine. They wouldn't suit you though.

I'll be shooting with a pair of Df's for this entire season now, so 43 weddings.
:eek: Think of the quality, it'll go out the window I tell thee!
Guy Collier "I shoot just 40 weddings a year so I can focus on quality and not quantity."
Cancel 3 now, it's your only hope :D

Wow - does that mean you covered the wedding with 2 cameras, as you usually do, but you basically only used one of them?

Not overly to be honest. I'd never shoot with just one body though.

As I've never backup up to the second card on my older D3s's anyway this is no different in practice.

been thinking about getting a DF and keeping the d600 as my backup, but you know i worry a little about card failure but not loads. I think im a one camera body shooter, but happy to keep the d600 in my bag with a 50mm on it and a card in. Part of me wonders how much of an upgrade the DF is over the d600. I think the D600 is one of the most underrated cameras around along with the DF.

Honestly, it wasn't found wanting at all. It was a fairly dim March day after some early sun, and the first dance at GSB is as dark as any I encounter.

Yes - I kept a D3s on me for a different focal length, but barely used it.

I have no idea why anyone is worrying about the focus speed of the DF, anyway, how do you feel about the lack of dual card slots? if you were shooting just one DF would you feel comfortable in only having one card slot?

what makes me more nervous is the short time I spent using a D800 for weddings I had issues with two Sandisk Extreme pro SD cards, having shot for many years with CF's without a glitch. Maybe I was just unlucky, the cards may have been just from a bad batch.

what makes me more nervous is the short time I spent using a D800 for weddings I had issues with two Sandisk Extreme pro SD cards, having shot for many years with CF's without a glitch. Maybe I was just unlucky, the cards may have been just from a bad batch.

yeah i wouldnt be worrying about sd cards reliability in comparison to cf cards. I dont trust cf cards more.

That is a shame, I just wish they'd remove the bed, seems that no one ever sleeps there!

I know - it's a bit odd that. They're offering some accomodation on site though, so maybe they can start using that instead of Keeper's now....

Yes - I kept a D3s on me for a different focal length, but barely used it.
I'm really surprised. I know you use primes and I believe you go into each stage of the wedding with a chosen prime on each body, so was sticking to one body (for all but 9 shots) a one off for you (as you were wanting to use the DF where you could, so you were swapping lenses)?

Back