Nikon Df....First images

No - I've moved to that over the last 18 months. I'm almost always on a 35/1.4 and favour that over everything else.....the second body has the other option for whatever part of the day I'm in....

No - I've moved to that over the last 18 months. I'm almost always on a 35/1.4 and favour that over everything else.....the second body has the other option for whatever part of the day I'm in....
Sorry, I don't understand, as that's kinda what I thought (I know the 35 is your favourite, as it was on Canon - you know I'm a stalker), but you didn't shoot all but 9 of those on a 35 did you? You'd normally shoot a lot at 35, and then more than 9 on the second body, right?

Ah, understood. No, I changed lens on the Df during the day......I made myself use it all day rather than fall back on the D3s. Does that make sense?

Ah, understood. No, I changed lens on the Df during the day......I made myself use it all day rather than fall back on the D3s. Does that make sense?
Yes of course, that's what I was thinking when I said
so was sticking to one body (for all but 9 shots) a one off for you (as you were wanting to use the DF where you could, so you were swapping lenses)?

Thanks for explaining.

I'd be all over this camera if Nikon didn't remove the video mode, which is a really odd decision considering all of Nikon's current FF options have it - they could have buried it in a menu somewhere or put it on a Fn button if they really wanted to keep it 'pure'. The D610's grip feels a bit odd to me (coming from a S5 Pro), the D800 is the logical step up in terms of keeping the ergonomics largely the same, but that D4/D4s sensor in the Df would suit my work perfectly since 16MP is just about right for quality/processing time. The styling (especially in black) has grown on me after seeing it in person.

Guy how do you find the focus points as its the one thing that makes me think twice about buying the camera, im coming from a D3s? Thanks.

Been chatting to guy for a while about this now via PM and I think I'm pretty much sold. Just need to shift some canon/Fuji stuff first.

That's one of my favourite things about it. I've had my D800 since it came out, and I don't even know if the video mode works :D

Haha, I know that I won't be using it primarily for video, it's just that I need it for my own work every now and then to complement the stills.

I'm getting one as well, it will be the first new camera I've ever bought :)

Big mistake. The money went out of your account the moment you PMed him.

Haha. Possibly. Need to sell some stuff first though as I say. I may well end up with both for a while. Don't wanna be stuck with stuff I can't shift.

Bugger, I wish I wasn't watching this thread.
I'm questioning my X-T1 purchase..

I was also considering going fully Fuji but decided the Df would scratch my retro itch that the Fuji satisfies whilst being up to professional jobs.

Im trying to decide between the DF and the X-T1 right now - I can rent the Fuji but not the DF which doesnt really help either!

Thing is, I know the Nikon will do all I want. As much as I like the Fuji I'm not totally convinced it can handle superspeed Grandchildren...BUT the Fuji is exactly the right size, and image quality is plenty good enough for me. Great in low light (so far only tested on static subjects)

Simply cannot stop the debate in my head, can't afford both..

A little more tightly spaced but I didn't find it a problem in use :)

you know you really need to write a full and detailed review of this camera, the demand is there. How is the ISO vs the D3s? as in how many stops better and what is the max ISO that is still relatively clean ( i know this is subjective )
some people have said the comfort isnt so good with the way the grip is on the camera, any thoughts?

Edit: we can have a new section called "ask Guy"

Last edited:
Been chatting to guy for a while about this now via PM and I think I'm pretty much sold. Just need to shift some canon/Fuji stuff first.
where will you buy from?

Thing is, I know the Nikon will do all I want. As much as I like the Fuji I'm not totally convinced it can handle superspeed Grandchildren...BUT the Fuji is exactly the right size, and image quality is plenty good enough for me. Great in low light (so far only tested on static subjects)

Simply cannot stop the debate in my head, can't afford both..

I felt the same way, unsure but at the end of the day l like zoom lens, and if I had gone the Df route I would have ender up keeping my 24-70mm F2.8,defeating the object of cutting down the weight I carry, so when the Fuji route :)

Hard doing weddings on the fujis though, due to af, its just a big step backwards. A df with a 50 1.8g is small and light, yes not as small and light as fuji but its much faster and more capable in every single area. I do love fuji though.

The way I see it every camera is a compromise somewhere.

I give up the D3s's and I lose the very best AF, amazing battery life and the handling only the big pro bodies give. But I also lose the weight, size, and noise. By choosing the Df I gain less weight, smaller, less intimidating cameras but drop some AF and battery life but I also gain the D4s sensor. I did try the XT-1 and for me the AF isn't quite there, nor is the battery life and the EVF in very bright and very low light isn't for me, but those things might be very different for other people. Df over XT-1 means more expensive, heavier and again louder, but it also means I keep an excellent OVF, lenses I've already invested in and a workflow that stays the same.

I'd be all over this camera if Nikon didn't remove the video mode, which is a really odd decision considering all of Nikon's current FF options have it - they could have buried it in a menu somewhere or put it on a Fn button if they really wanted to keep it 'pure'. The D610's grip feels a bit odd to me (coming from a S5 Pro), the D800 is the logical step up in terms of keeping the ergonomics largely the same, but that D4/D4s sensor in the Df would suit my work perfectly since 16MP is just about right for quality/processing time. The styling (especially in black) has grown on me after seeing it in person.

I think the reasoning for removing the video is quite simple, while it would barely add any cost it would affect the perception of the camera as they clearly thought it would be worth losing those who did want video against those who would snub a retro designed camera for having video. I agree I think they should have hidden it or had it disabled by default and needed some button combination to bring it back so they could advertise it as no video but still have it there for those that want it. It doesn't bother me too much simply because I find video on a DSLR a bit clunky and prefer mirrorless cameras for that.

How is the dynamic range on the Df? Much the same as on the D3/D700 I'm assuming?

John

I played with the Df over the weekend. First in Jessops (they had the silver one), then in LCE (Black one), where the chap let me have quite a while with it. What a lovely camera to use. The control dials are lovely IMO. All the reviews online saying how light it was, I was expecting it to feel really cheap but it wasn't as light as I was expecting. I really like the dedicated ISO dial which can be used without moving the camera from the eye with a little practise, as the ISO is displayed in the viewfinder. The kit lens seemed to focus quickly and accurately in the dimmest corners of the shop (best I could do) and looking on the rear LCD, it was sharp and handles noise very well indeed (I know not as good as viewing on the computer but still).

Needless to say, now I have shifted my 5D and Fuji, I am sold. :)

It has arrived. :) I have a shoot with it tonight too so a little nervous about that but must get on with it!

It has arrived. :) I have a shoot with it tonight too so a little nervous about that but must get on with it!

You'll be fine. Remember, it's only a camera.
Enjoy yourself.

A client shoot? You're braver than me.

Well, it's an engagement shoot, but a free one. The girl is reluctant to book me for their wedding with not having a wedding portfolio (which is fine and I understand that), however I am hoping an engagement shoot will help sway her. The other problem I have is that my 35mm won't arrive until Wednesday so I am going to be tackling this one with just an 85mm!

You'll be fine. Remember, it's only a camera.
Enjoy yourself.

Thanks. That's what I have been telling myself. Once the initial camera settings are to my liking, it can't be that much different can it? Focus, shoot, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's an engagement shoot, but a free one. The girl is reluctant to book me for their wedding with not having a wedding portfolio (which is fine and I understand that), however I am hoping an engagement shoot will help sway her. The other problem I have is that my 35mm won't arrive until Wednesday so I am going to be tackling this one with just an 85mm!
thats probably better to just take one lens, not being familiar with the camera will certainly hit you though. I think it takes about a month to get familiar so you are fast with it but you will be fine im sure as with this you can set the pace yourself.

Well, it's an engagement shoot, but a free one. The girl is reluctant to book me for their wedding with not having a wedding portfolio (which is fine and I understand that), however I am hoping an engagement shoot will help sway her.
Good plan, I like it.

The other problem I have is that my 35mm won't arrive until Wednesday so I am going to be tackling this one with just an 85mm!
Have you ever shot a wedding before? If you have, what did you use, and why can't you use that tonight?

I'm sure you'll be fine, you'll have a top camera and lens, you've got legs to zoom, and without having to think about lens choice it should be simple - but I'm surprised you'd put yourself in this position.

Have you ever shot a wedding before? If you have, what did you use, and why can't you use that tonight?

I'm sure you'll be fine, you'll have a top camera and lens, you've got legs to zoom, and without having to think about lens choice it should be simple - but I'm surprised you'd put yourself in this position.

Yes I have, but it was a few years ago now. I don't really want to use the photos from those as they were very different in style to how I am choosing to shoot now so I have decided to completely start a fresh. I have two booked for this year, including one in Italy. Well the 35mm was supposed to arrive today with the camera, however I only found out that there was none in stock yesterday and it will arrive now on Thursday. I have a Canon 35mm still sat here but that's not gonna fit on the Df! :LOL:

This is the only time I will be in this situation so am just gonna suck it up and shoot it with one lens. I will just have to go far away for some shots. :)

Back