Nikon DF

Edit My Images
Yes
thought i would start a thread for all those lucky enough to own a DF,lovely camera which I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one in the For Sale area :nikon:

You do know it's cheaper to just go to Jessops to try every camera made by every manufacturer? ;0)

And where are the financial pitfalls in that?

Is this thread just for silver DF owners?

Should be even quieter if it is!

Just to help this thread thought I`d post a link from image resource listing the advantages of the DF- don`t be concerned as reading the list won`t take long
http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/df/vs/nikon/d750/

BUT I`m sure there will be some cracking photos posted in the next few weeks from new owner of DF:)

:LOL: brilliant.

Bare with me, it's just a phase I'm going though.

Just to help this thread thought I`d post a link from image resource listing the advantages of the DF- don`t be concerned as reading the list won`t take long
http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/df/vs/nikon/d750/
Some of those advantages are questionable especially the two regarding kit lenses and built in flash (unless you use it to trigger remote flashes).

BUT I`m sure there will be some cracking photos posted in the next few weeks from new owner of DF:)

I'm sure @minnnt will prove it's the person behind the camera and not the camera that takes great images.like you say we will seeing some great images in this thread soon. @minnnt's images will be missed on the D750 thread.

It'll need a screen protector.
A nice GGS screen protector here ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cameras-GGS-Larmor-Screen-Protector-LANDF/dp/B00JVZ8QTM

Df is probably the only recent nikon that hasn't had to go back for QC issues

:sleep:

Initial impressions are good. IQ is good as well all knew it would be as is high iso. Kinda like the dials for the exposure and iso. The lever for the shooting mode is also good. Better than the D750 imo. On/off switch would be better with a lever though, it's a bit awkward. Buttons all feel well made but the camera has took less than 200 shots so it's probably just newness.

The grip is poor though in comparison to the D750. The Sigma lenses are a bit too heavy for it really but i will make a final decision after a bit of shooting at the weekend with it. I felt similar with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 that i had. The add on grip for that transformed it but I'm not sure if the Nikon version will as it looks pretty small.

The VF is awesome though. Very impressed with it. It's a shame it doesn't have the built in VF curtain like the D800 series. The focus area is a little smaller but the points do go into the rounded bits in the centre top and bottom so it helps to negate the deficit a little. Focus with the 50mm ART seems good and responsive, even in low light. As i don't have the D750 anymore it's hard to compare but I'm not sure if it's any slower either. Perhaps that's just a bit of bias from me towards the Df though. LV is just as good as the D750 was.

The shutter sound is beautiful (if a shutter can be!) compared to the atom bomb D750 shutter, really happy about that.

The seller included a Df book with it so I'm gonna have a read of that and see if there's any settings i can alter which might benefit me further. One thing i did notice is that the Df can shoot uncompressed RAW. Not sure if there is any difference between that and lossless compressed or not though? I don't think the D750 could do that?

Hope that satisfies you for the time being.

:)

The Df IS for those that want to be inspired by the fact that you have a camera that looks and feels like an old friend. One that you can control with dials on the camera instead of within menus. One that you can shoot at a slow and steady pace with and photograph life as you see it. One that will pose a challenge to you at the same time when using old classic MF glass and one that you can learn from. It is a camera you can take with you anywhere and will excel with small fast primes, even old school glass that you can buy cheap. The Nikon Df, much like a Leica M is for those with a true passion for LIFE and PHOTOGRAPHY, not those who stress over things such as specs and details that mean nothing when it comes to the final output. Those who want to shoot one frame at a time..take their time and think about what they are doing. The Nikon Df is for those who want a nice looking camera that feels great and delivers image quality equal to the flagship $6000 Nikon. Low light? This is about as good as it gets. Period. $3000 with lens? That is about right for what you are getting here..D4 full frame performance in half the size, the best low light shooting available, and everything I stated above for less than what you will pay for a D800 (which did not inspire me due to size and bulk). Again, why so many misunderstand what this camera is meant for and WHO it is meant for is really blowing my mind.

I'm a bit confused. Do you want a DF or just want to re-assure Minnnt that he's bought a nice camera? The text in the previous post reads like a Leica advert. The DF is just a DSLR with the same internals as other Nikons just has a 'retro' design to appeal to the market. If you actually want to slow down and shoot single frames, shoot film.

Edit - I love shooting film as a different medium to digital but the top view of the DF makes it look really thick?

This is a thin camera (35mm rangefinder so different functionality but proves the point)

My new (to me!) Fed 1G with Industar 61. by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lol no Steve im just supporting David it was written by Steve Huff hence the Leica connection

Last edited:
Back