Nikon F80 - Sticky Rubber

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently picked up a champagne coloured F80 for the grand sum of £15, Seems like a nice thing, but in the past two weeks the rubber has turned sticky - it was fine when I got it about a month ago.

Looking online there are all sorts of solutions - none of which seem great.

I wondered, has anyone out there replaced the rubber with a leather covering? I did this on my Contax years ago to good effect, but before I start pulling the rubber off, I wondered if anyone had done this on something more modern (comparitively)?

Thanks people, I had not seen any posts on here, but just from a general google search. Will get some IPA and give it a go

My F80 had been boxed up for a few years, got it out a few months ago to find the rubber had gone super sticky, hadn't got much to hand, apart from some alcohol wipes, the one's that are used to clean the skin before an injection, took a few to do the job, but brought it up like new, my D70 suffered from the same problem, again the alcohol wipes did the trick.

Thanks people, I had not seen any posts on here, but just from a general google search. Will get some IPA and give it a go

Yep, can take a bit of work but it does the job.

I got a pack of two for £1.99 from Home Bargains. They don't say reusable, just replace when it starts to look tatty, tired and grey. I hope they never use that criteria on me.

I bought an N80 plus 70-300mm D ED combo from Oxfam for £65 and it has sticky covers. I ordered some 100% IPA off eBay when I started reading this thread, just after I bought the camera.

The N80 is working well and the lens is spotless. It only has a filter on though, no lens cap. With a 35mm lens on it's a fairly light camera, or at least lighter than the cameras I've been carrying lately.IMG_20180807_104340.jpeg

Back