Nikon FE2 meter issue? --no response to aperture adjustment

Edit My Images
No
My Nikon FE2 meter is not responding to aperture adjustments. Checked and replaced batteries. film is advanced passed 1. film advance lever is cocked.
The needle responds to changes in light but only weakly. Even when pointing the camera directly at light source the needle will only climb to at most about 1/60 shutter speed. There is no change in the needle reading as I adjust the aperture on the lens. Changing lens also didn't help. Also same result whether in A or Manual mode... any ideas? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
My Nikon FE2 meter is not responding to aperture adjustments. Checked and replaced batteries. film is advanced passed 1. film advance lever is cocked.
The needle responds to changes in light but only weakly. Even when pointing the camera directly at light source the needle will only climb to a most about 1/60 shutter speed. There is no change in the needle reading as I adjust the aperture on the lens. Changing lens also didn't help. Also same result whether in A or Manual mode... any ideas? Thanks so much!
Check that the meter coupling lever is moving freely. I had a problem with another model which needed some congealed gunk cleaning off. As you changed aperture on lens the lever did not move. To make sure we are looking at same thing refer to diagram in manual http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_fe2/nikon_fe2.htm

I had an issue with I think one of my lenses on my old FM2 and it was the coupling pin spring not letting the mechanism spring back when moving from min apatture to max and doing a similar thing.

You can work the pin on the body with the lens removed it is like a plastic ring around the Base of the lens mount I believe

The meter coupling lever on the body is moving fine as is the corresponding lever on the lens. Both actually seem very clean. Note: pushing the depth of field preview does cause the meter to swing but it only cause a reduction in the reading (which is already too low). Thanks for the input, any more ideas?

Not a camera I know, but a) is the battery the correct voltage and b) is there any extra resistance caused by corrosion on the contacts?

Failing that, a meter fault :(

Ok, I double checked the batteries and they are correct according to what's written on the camera and in the instruction manual. Also, no corrosion around the battery or anywhere, the whole camera seems in great shape. Just seems like the thing should work, I don't find much of anything about meter failure on these things, just seems odd, thought I might be missing something...

Does the battery check (item 15 in manual) work? Note have to wind on till frame counter reads at least 1.

Does the battery check (item 15 in manual) work? Note have to wind on till frame counter reads at least 1.

Yes, but it needs to be quite bright to get any response from the needle. If I point it directly at light or the sun the needle will only register midway, or about 1/15sec. needle stays steady as I change the f-stop. Also, I don't think it's just needle problem because the shutter does seem to go off at the speed that the needle indicates (so the photos will be over exposed I'm sure). e.g. in A mode pointing the camera nearly directly at a light bulb I hear a slow click-clack of the shutter at about 1/4sec.

Last edited:
Does changing the asa/iso setting give a different meter reading?

Last edited:
Check the aparture ring as I posted earlier

Yes, but it needs to be quite bright to get any response from the needle. If I point it directly at light or the sun the needle will only register midway, or about 1/15sec. needle stays steady as I change the f-stop. Also, I don't think it's just needle problem because the shutter does seem to go off at the speed that the needle indicates (so the photos will be over exposed I'm sure). e.g. in A mode pointing the camera nearly directly at a light bulb I hear a slow click-clack of the shutter at about 1/4sec.

That sounds like it thinks the lens is set to the smallest aperture. A fault condition that the meter interprets as the smallest aperture will result in it setting a slow shutter speed. I don't know what the encoder/sensor is for the aperture, but it's feasible that a short circuit or open circuit could be interpreted as an aperture setting at one end of the scale or the other. Ditto some kind of mechanical breakage or discombobulation.

As Peter says, try changing the film speed setting and see if it comes up with a different shutter speed.

Spotted a reference stating A few Nikon cameras (such as the F3, F4, FE , FM and the new DF) allow the user to swing the lever out of the way, clearing a path for the mounting of a Non-AI lens. The trade-off for this is the loss of meter coupling with the lens. If the camera has a depth of field preview this can be pressed to engage stop-down metering. not sure if this applies to the FE2 - worth checking the manual.

Edit - Nope not on the FE2

Last edited:
Send the camera to Julian Abell - he has just CLA"d my F3 & it is like new :)
I’ve not used Julian, what sort of price does he charge for a CLA? What does he charge for shipping and what’s the turn round time?

it could be the cells in the viewfinder that are toast then.
when my F2 went back to Sover Wong I had them replaced but it wasn't cheap

I’ve not used Julian, what sort of price does he charge for a CLA? What does he charge for shipping and what’s the turn round time?

All his details can be found here:

http://www.contaxrepairs.com/

I used email rather than the contact form on his website and he was very responsive. Turnround time was 3 weeks for my F3 and it came back like new with all shutter speeds checked and some adjusted. All meter readings were also checked and adjusted - camera came back like new :)

He sells quite a few FE2's through eBay that he has repaired.

All his details can be found here:

http://www.contaxrepairs.com/

I used email rather than the contact form on his website and he was very responsive. Turnround time was 3 weeks for my F3 and it came back like new with all shutter speeds checked and some adjusted. All meter readings were also checked and adjusted - camera came back like new :)

He sells quite a few FE2's through eBay that he has repaired.
Thanks, what did he charge for the F3 service?

Just out of interest how.much is an FE2 now worth in real good working condition? I have one all packed up with a lovely series 2 35mm lens in very good condition. It even has a brand new focus screen.

Back