Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

The evidence suggests otherwise, or the segment wouldn't have grown as it has. So for many people mirrorless started competing with DSLRs long ago :)
Well no, a lot of people didn't mind that it wasn't as good for a variety of reasons. That doesn't make them technically as good as DSLRs.

I believe the film market is growing recently, so does that make it technically as good as latest digital cameras?

Last edited:
Well no, a lot of people didn't mind that it wasn't as good for a variety of reasons. That doesn't make them technically as good as DSLRs.

It depends on your definition of good, technically or otherwise. Better is a subjective term.

For example, if you wanted a focus system with zero chance of a misaligned sensor then mirrorless is better, if you wanted great live-view, mirrorless is better, if you wanted a smaller body, mirrorless is better, if you wanted silent shutter then mirrorless is better, then there is the wealth of other features like live composite on Oly cameras which no DSLR has.

Of course continuous AF has only recently come to the game and battery life is only just getting beyond woeful but you pays your money...

Just seen the leaked press photos, it seems a pretty safe design ergonomically, however I really like it :)
We'll have to see if Nikon's specification makes any significant progress over the rivals and who these bodies are aimed at.
Nikon could have a Z9 in the making for the Professional segment... :D

Last edited:
Actually that 35mm does look shorter than the current 1.8g I think.
Really?

It looks massive compared to the Canon f2 IS.

I’ll wait for the specs, but I’d just expected that lenses for ff mirrorless ought to look like lenses for rangefinder cameras.

Otherwise what’s the point?

For small dainty girly hands maybe. :p:D
I don't have small hands. No need to be sexist about it :p

I remember the days using film cameras. They were perfect size and about the size of original A7. No one complained then. Suddenly for some odd reason people started to think huge DSLRs were a good thing.
You don't see Leica users complaining thier bodies are small. Heck it doesn't even have a grip :p

Otherwise what’s the point?

That's my current problem with mirrorless and FX

The D750 is hardly huge in size or weight so unless the new offering was much lighter/smaller then all I'm looking at is a different focusing system and silent shutter

I really like the idea of a silent shutter, but its not something I'd pay much for; so for me, the Nikon mirrorless is just a consideration for in a couple of years time when I feel a change is called for as shutter counts get closer to 200,000, or I'd move to an actually lighter/smaller alternative

Dave

I don't think DSLR's will die suddenly but one has to consider the benefits that mirrorless systems offer over a conventional DSLR.
Some of these features are really must have for me now, most also take the stress out of photographing key moments which in turn can result in time and effort saved.

- Eye-AF
- Face Recognition
- Focus Peaking
- WYSIWYG
- Silent Shutter
- Size & Weight
- Less moving parts
- Better AF point spreads

It just makes life easier compared to a DSLR, yes the end result in terms of photo output might be the same, but which system was the easier of the two to get to that result? ;)

I don't think DSLR's will die suddenly but one has to consider the benefits that mirrorless systems offer over a conventional DSLR.
Some of these features are really must have for me now, most also take the stress out of photographing key moments which in turn can result in time and effort saved.

- Eye-AF
- Face Recognition
- Focus Peaking
- WYSIWYG
- Silent Shutter
- Size & Weight
- Less moving parts
- Better AF point spreads

It just makes life easier compared to a DSLR, yes the end result in terms of photo output might be the same, but which system was the easier of the two to get to that result? ;)

Oi oi. Surely must be a separate thread or 10 about mirrorless vs dslr.

I don't have small hands. No need to be sexist about it :p

I remember the days using film cameras. They were perfect size and about the size of original A7. No one complained then. Suddenly for some odd reason people started to think huge DSLRs were a good thing.
You don't see Leica users complaining thier bodies are small. Heck it doesn't even have a grip :p

Because they didnt have massive 70-200 2.8 or 100-400 etc lenses back then maybe and Leica is the same?

A DSLR handles bigger lenses better, and that is a good thing.

Seen the pics. I think the layout looks good. Looking forward to seeing the press release. Personally I am not interested in terms of purchasing but from a technological point of view this kinda stuff always interests me.

Oi oi. Surely must be a separate thread or 10 about mirrorless vs dslr.

Very true - because there is also a list of things that make a DSLR better for some, but thats not for this thread either!

Well Nikon have certain got people talking whether its postive or negative!! Some of the people who respond to their FB posts need shooting!

Is that a confirmed UK price or just a straight $ conversion, because thats not how it usually works these days.
Na, he is just speculating :)

(only answering as I was talking with him last night offline)

Because they didnt have massive 70-200 2.8 or 100-400 etc lenses back then maybe and Leica is the same?

A DSLR handles bigger lenses better, and that is a good thing.
There were plenty of massive teleprimes and also large zooms.
And no DSLR is no better or worst than an A7 having owned A99+70-400 which I later used adapted on to A7. They are equally awkward.

Last edited:
There were plenty of massive teleprimes and also large zooms.
And no DSLR is no better or worst than an A7 having owned A99+70-400 which I later used adapted on to A7 They are equally awkward.

Well i'm going to have to agree to disagree as having used the D750 with 70-200 2.8 and A7iii with 70-200 2.8 side by side, the sony was 100% more awkward and did not handle as well.

Something would have to go unfortunately...... got a garage conversion to fund followed by amps, speakers, screen etc lol :D

Should move on all that gear that you don’t need and get the new Nikon with a couple of lenses. Money in the bank for the conversion and also the latest new toy. #winning

Well i'm going to have to agree to disagree as having used the D750 with 70-200 2.8 and A7iii with 70-200 2.8 side by side, the sony was 100% more awkward and did not handle as well.
I think handling is a subjective thing for everybody..... I have owned Nikon DSLR's, Fuji and Sony mirrorless bodies and I have managed to adapt to each one without any big complaints, however I have relatively small hands so maybe its a non-issue for me.
I am looking forward to handling the new Nikon Z6/7 bodies but doubtful they will magically convert me solely based on ergonomics. :)
Nikon need to make a follow-up Z9, all the technology of the Sony A9 and some! :D

Should move on all that gear that you don’t need and get the new Nikon with a couple of lenses. Money in the bank for the conversion and also the latest new toy. #winning
:eek: something to consider I suppose.

Money in the bank? Have you worked out his losses after selling his gear? Gonna take a big hit.

Money in the bank? Have you worked out his losses after selling his gear? Gonna take a big hit.
Please don't work it out :D lol its going to be eye watering! :D lol
There is no point in ping-ponging between brands...... Nikon will bring out a Z9 which is probably going to better the Sony A9, then Sony will bring out their A9 II..... then comes the Nikon Z9 II and so on...... :)

Last edited:

All the more reason to do it now. The a9 will be the bigger loss. The lenses perhaps not so much.
Panamoz price for a9 is something around £2,700.

If Nikon’s high mp offering is tip top Sony may panic into an earlier than planned release of the a9r and we would then see a further drop on a9 prices.

So it may be a loss but some money in the bank rather than unused gear in the cabinet.

Back