Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Well those prices will just have Sony laughing for sure??? Body £1400 more than the A7iii? If prices are correct they are missing a huge part of the market?

Maybe it’s Nikon’s way of ensuring it still gets sales from D750 etc.
That's for the Z7, should have made it clearer, :rolleyes: the equivalent of the a7R III, which I think was about £3200 on release, and is still about £2900.

Last edited:
Is this price for the Z7? If so then the Z6 will be cheaper but how would it compare to the A7iii?

Definitely, so far we know it has less than half as many af points and how many are phase? All of Sony's 693 pts are phase with 93% coverage.

My Canon 6D had 1 really useable focus point and I managed to take some good images.

Do you really need all these focus points or is it the digital version of willy waving?

Discuss

My 6d also has just one brilliant focus point, but I did prefer the focus system of the 7d, I reckon I miss shots.

Likewise with the M5 I can focus literally anywhere on the sensor by selecting with my thumb on the touchscreen, that’s exactly what I would want, but I’ve never used eye focus on a Sony, which is possibly better.

I'm hoping they do something like the D850 tbh. On that it has 153 AF points but only 50 odd selectable. I'd hate to have to scroll across hundreds of AF points :eek:

Me too. I did have it on manual for a while to save battery as I tried leaving it on rather than turning the camera on and off again, but I didn't find the EVF saved much more power than the LCD tbh.
Can't you touch to focus surely with the new Nikon?

My Canon 6D had 1 really useable focus point and I managed to take some good images.

Do you really need all these focus points or is it the digital version of willy waving?

Discuss

I have no idea how many my D750 has, nor do I care, I still almost always use the middle one the same as I've always done right from the days of only having one anyway :D

Dave

My 6d also has just one brilliant focus point, but I did prefer the focus system of the 7d, I reckon I miss shots.

Likewise with the M5 I can focus literally anywhere on the sensor by selecting with my thumb on the touchscreen, that’s exactly what I would want, but I’ve never used eye focus on a Sony, which is possibly better.
I've always used my eyes to focus Phil,you suprise me :p

I'm sure Nikon understand their market with regard to pricing, the D850 wasn't exactly cheap and it has been a good seller, remember they don't need to tempt people to another system eg Sony, Nikon have a large customer base already, they just need people to 'upgrade' rather than wholesale change, its a different strategy to Sony who need people to convert, as they existing customer base is much smaller). Nikon are also probably aware that Canon will always have a loyal share, they need to keep existing customers rather than get people to switch.

I have no idea how many my D750 has, nor do I care, I still almost always use the middle one the same as I've always done right from the days of only having one anyway :D

Dave
You may also be able to do that with the new cameras too, though the actual AF point may be smaller. ;) More to fit in you see. :LOL:

why does the z6 a more sports oriented jack of all trades body have less af points then a MP monster that will be used more for portaits and landscapes?

Yup, I found that weird. Theyre obviously trying to get people to push that bit more.

True, who needs more than one af point or 12 MP, those pesky numbers.
Trust you to take it to the extremes ;) :p

I read somewhere that the LCD uses less power, it has less pixels.
I read that too, but in the real world I didn’t notice much difference.

If they all work as well as, or better than the 153, why wouldn't you want more? :confused: There is a reason the Nikon AF went from 7-11-39-51-153, more are better to track a subject.

As for scrolling loads of AF points, you could, but then you may also be able to tap the touchscreen with your thumb if done right. ;)
in theory more is better in this case yes, but until we see whether Nikon has eye AF and how well it can track compared to the Sony I’ll wait to pass judgement that the z6 ‘only’ has 273 or whatever AF points ;)

I hate using touch screens on cameras ;)

Can't you touch to focus surely with the new Nikon?
See above ;)

I have never focus and recompose, you needed to do that precisely because all the other focus points suck.

No need it they are all like the centre one. It’s how you can shoot at 1.2 and get focus.

Focus recompose isn't great at f1.4

In theory more is better in this case yes, but until we see whether Nikon has eye AF and how well it can track compared to the Sony I’ll wait to pass judgement that the z6 ‘only’ has 273 or whatever AF points ;)

With things like AF and noise there performance can only judged once they're in the real world, but for now we talk numbers. :LOL:

I hate using touch screens on cameras ;)
As phones and tablets prove, if done well a touch screen interface can work well, unfortunately camera manufacturers, and particularly Nikon, are lagging behind with touch screens. I only use the touch screen on my D500 for moving around when zoomed in using Liveview. Not that you can do much more because they have implemented it so poorly imho. They will have to up their game with these new cameras. Saying that, not even sure the new cameras have touch screens! :thinking: Major faux pas if they don't. :rolleyes:

With things like AF and noise there performance can only judged once they're in the real world, but for now we talk numbers. :LOL:

As phones and tablets prove, if done well a touch screen interface can work well, unfortunately camera manufacturers, and particularly Nikon, are lagging behind with touch screens. I only use the touch screen on my D500 for moving around when zoomed in using Liveview. Not that you can do much more because they have implemented it so poorly imho. They will have to up their game with these new cameras. Saying that, not even sure the new cameras have touch screens! :thinking: Major faux pas if they don't. :rolleyes:
Both my EM1 and D850 have touchscreens but when I have my eye up to the viewfinder it’s just then plain awkward to use the touchscreen. Maybe not helped by the fact I’m a left eye shooter ;)

That's for the Z7, should have made it clearer, :rolleyes: the equivalent of the a7R III, which I think was about £3200 on release, and is still about £2900.

I wouldn't be supprised if you say the same kind of tactics here, start at £3400 but knock a few hundred off when the initial sales rush passes. The D850 has stayed pretty stable but I'd imagine that camera is going to last for much longer without an update than any new mirrorless which will likely be refreshed within a couple of years.

Personally I'll probably end up desiding between the D850 and the Z7 sometime late this year or early next year when the word is out on the latters performance and hopefully some price drops have happened.

My guess at Z6 pricing would be around £2400-600.

Last edited:
The small gap between the grip and the larger diameter Z-Mount lens doesn't look very comfortable for those of us with larger hands.

The small gap between the grip and the larger diameter Z-Mount lens doesn't look very comfortable for those of us with larger hands.
I don't know whether you saw the overlay of the a7RIII on the Z7 body I posted last night. (below) The Nikon grip doesn't seem to be as angled towards the body as the Sony, and because it is larger only the tips of fingers may get close to the lens. It is a larger mount though. :thinking: There looks to be more space than with the a7's to me because the lens isn't as central too. From my own experience Nikon seem to do the grips quite well. But people will have to judge when they get one in their own hands.

upload_2018-8-22_1-30-56-jpeg.132821

I don't know whether you saw the overlay of the a7RIII on the Z7 body I posted last night. (below) The Nikon grip doesn't seem to be as angled towards the body as the Sony, and because it is larger only the tips of fingers may get close to the lens. It is a larger mount though. :thinking: There looks to be more space than with the a7's to me because the lens isn't as central too. From my own experience Nikon seem to do the grips quite well. But people will have to judge when they get one in their own hands.

upload_2018-8-22_1-30-56-jpeg.132821
I tried to do a comparison with my D850 and the gap does look narrower to me. Also as you say it doesn’t look as angled as the A7, or Nikon DSLRs. It looks more rounded and a bit more like the earlier A7 models, which is not good :eek:

To me, the Nikon Z6 / Z7 seem more geared towards keeping existing Nikon owners from defecting rather than attracting new customers.
I would like them to match / beat the Sony bodies as it would generate more competition and push Sony to innovate even further.
Not long to go now folks until the official announcement happens, maybe Nikon have something new inside their bodies....... who knows.

To me, the Nikon Z6 / Z7 seem more geared towards keeping existing Nikon owners from defecting rather than attracting new customers.
I would like them to match / beat the Sony bodies as it would generate more competition and push Sony to innovate even further.
Not long to go now folks until the official announcement happens, maybe Nikon have something new inside their bodies....... who knows.

A mirrored mirrorless, top secret.

Come on, get a grip, you must have the busiest social life in Ireland.

If you take Dave’s 33 weddings so far this year and do a simple 10 years, that’s over 300, are you honestly suggesting...

And you and Dave may not know, but I remember Dennis Reggie being the ‘name’ in wedding photography back in the 90’s, for Yanks and the few Brits who aimed for that specific look.

It’s a million miles from how any of us work though... that’s me you Dave and Raymond.

On the record, in 30 years I’ve used OCF for groups at a wedding once.

That was an exaggeration obviously! there's always one way to shut up a know-it-all, it worked so I'm good with it. I'm sick to the teeth of the giant ego pros on here mouthing off at everyone who dare make a suggestion they don't agree with. Saying something is "daft" just because you don't do it is just being a bit of an ass in my book. Then pretending you were 'aving a larf , even worse. They don't deserve sensible arguments after arrogance.

I'm in Ireland (the dreary old north). I shoot weddings all year. And as someone else said, OCF is a last resort for me.

Good for you, you're not one of the many, many photographers I've seen use ocf at weddings, and guess what? nobody was moaning about it and the photos turned out beautiful.

Anyway, this isn't a wedding thread, we're well off topic here. If I want advice on weddings I'll visit the wedding thread, I'm sure it's fun ....

Last edited:
Back