Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

A single memory card slot these days is poor when comparing against the competition.
Yes you could argue that the first & second generation A7 bodies only had 1 SD slot but that doesn’t mean Nikon should be let off the hook.
Let’s wait and see what the specs are. [emoji4]
Not long to go..... [emoji6] (49 mins)

One thing that might not please some folks about the new Nikon Z 7 and Z 6 is the storage capability. The cameras have only one card slot for XQD cards, which have faster read and write speeds than SD cards, but are more expensive. Nikon said that new cameras will eventually add a firmware update that will also allow the use of CFexpress cards, which have the same form factor as XQD but are even faster and consume less power.

Read more at https://www.shutterbug.com/content/...-hands-photos-impressions#mtekkdCW8rwjyCtK.99

The prime lenses are massive it seems. Really not sure about this.

The Nikon Z 7 mirrorless camera is slated to go on sale on September 27, 2018 for $3399.95 (USD) for the body-only configuration, or for $3999.95 as a kit with the new Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4 S lens. The Nikon Z 6 will be available in late November for the $1995.95 for the body only configuration, or for $2599.95 with the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens kit.
Read more at https://www.shutterbug.com/content/...-hands-photos-impressions#RaS6wYofDpzmAq0e.99

It’s about twice as long as the 1.8g?

Single card slot
No eye AF
Far less Focus points

Yeah more FPS and better EVF but WTF Nikon.

It’s about twice as long as the 1.8g?

Single card slot
No eye AF
Far less Focus points

Yeah more FPS and better EVF but WTF Nikon.

Yeah but flange is near 3 times shorter than F-mount. So overall size is still smaller.

lack of eyeAF makes it a no go for me :(
Unless of course it has some amazing tracking features to work around the lack of eyeAF like in their DSLRs.

Last edited:
Would have loved a little 35mm, the size saving going for this is not huge. Maybe A7iii and the 35mm f2.8 is still the way to go if you want a smaller FF package

There are some nice articles on dpreview but I don't think website is handling the load very well :D

Look like the AF is supposedly very impressive

Surprised the 58mm f0.95 is manual focus only, I thought mirrorless removed most of the concerns with a first party releasing a lens that fast (mainly AF accuracy).

Well that’s my move to FF Mirrorless on hold for a bit. Think I will go down my original route and keep the 750 and get a small crop Mirrorless too.

A 35mm f/1.8 prime ($845.95) will be available at launch as well. Ouch.

Nikon's future has been set here - a fantastic mirrorless camera and a revolutionary new sensor and lens system. I can't wait to try the full line-up. I've never seen images of this quality anywhere near this price. It's like having the benefits of (mini) medium format in a small mirrorless body (but with top drawer AF, handling and ISO). The price vs performance is off the charts.

High praise for IQ.

Yeah but flange is near 3 times shorter than F-mount. So overall size is still smaller.

lack of eyeAF makes it a no go for me :(
Unless of course it has some amazing tracking features to work around the lack of eyeAF like in their DSLRs.

Eye AF does not bother me as rarely shoot humans. But so used to 2 cards now and the lenses are not exactly cheap! Is Samyang get on board with their pancake primes it would be more appealing both size and price wise!

Reactions: MDR
Confirmed single card slots. OH NOES lol

Wouldnt matter if the camera had a bazillion megapixels and 42 gigatrons of processing power this is an instant deal breaker now for any wedding shooters

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually totally gobsmacked they didn't include live backup. No eye AF either ? Time for the people that waited to jump on the Sony gravy train

Confirmed single card slots. OH NOES lol

Wouldnt matter if the camera had a bazillion megapixels and 42 gigatrons of processing power this is an instant deal breaker now for any wedding shooters

TBH sports shooters too. I always use both card slots when doing equestrian work. Would like to know Nikons reasons for 1 card slot.

Well it's at least a XQD card slot which is kinda cool.
Not that cool when there’s only currently Sony supplying XQD cards.

One card slot????? EPIC fail :(

I'm actually totally gobsmacked they didn't include live backup. No eye AF either ? Time for the people that waited to jump on the Sony gravy train
Eye AF’s no biggie imo, but one card slot is.

Back