Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

The FTZ adapter supports all the native AF functionality thus making F-mount lenses behave like native lenses. There is not a single adapter on Sony that achieves this for all lenses. Sigma MC-11 is the closest you have to this and even sigma gave up on the idea and decided to individually convert the lenses because the performance just wasn't native like.

And the ftz can't focus properly in burst mode or AF canon lenses. Sony allows people to use canon, I doubt the canon user who switched will care much about dmf as they've never had it and if they do there are native options.

Adapted is a compromise.

Last edited:
And the ftz can't focus properly in burst mode or AF canon lenses. Sony allows people to use canon, I doubt the canon user who switched will care much about dmf as they've never had it and if they do there are native options.

Adapted is a compromise.
How about lock on AF. That's a useful option too.

It'll always be alive in my heart. It was the first thing I bought with my own hard earned money.
Me too and my parents bought me Minolta film cameras with their hard earned so it’s very much in my blood.

As to it’s demise well as an ex A99 owner and all six Sony-zeiss lenses I would seriously love an A99-2 but there haven’t been any new A mount lenses for years and whilst the existing selection are very good they are overly priced and some lenses still use the old screw drive such as the otherwise brilliant 135 1.8 and 85 1.4.

Sony are very clearly focusing on the mirrorless series and if we did see an A99 mk 3 it would be the last. It is a real shame and I still keep my original Minolta 35-70 as a memento!

F mount will go the same way and whilst it’s still under production development will tail off and this is the start of the end.

Of course when Canon bring out their mirrorless full frame we can say the same thing.

All lens mounts will be dead anyway when a 8- 3000mm F1.0 full frame lens is developed that’s the size of a 35 film canister. Whilst some way off (!) bending the laws of physics will happen one day.

It'll always be alive in my heart. It was the first thing I bought with my own hard earned money.

My first dslr was an A200, the first prime being a Minolta 50mm 1.7. Noisey bugger of a lens, but I loved it, it was a big jump up from the bridge cameras I had used for years prior. That camera even had IBIS - though it broke down after a year

knock the Sony for something the Nikon cannot even do (i.e. use a Canon lens)

I completely baffled as to why any Nikon user should want to use a Canon lens on a Nikon camera! This thread has stretched the bounds of credibility at times but this one takes the biscuit - come on people; let's get real here :p

In any case, whilst talking 'native' lenses, is a Sony lens not a Zeiss optic (or vice-versa)?

Of course when Canon bring out their mirrorless full frame we can say the same thing.

Canon already swallowed that pill in the 80’s, once a lens mount is purely electronic any adaptation is a simple matter - which is why Sony mirrorless cameras can use adapted EF lenses with almost no drawbacks.

I’ve found it amusing for years that users of other systems never ‘got’ the difference, but it’s beyond daft that people are still misunderstanding the issue now other manufacturers are designing a ‘new’ all electronic mount.

Of course when Canon go FF mirrorless there’ll be a new flange distance, but that’s a different kettle of fish and easily fixable.

You will receive a FREE 64gb 400mbs XQD memory card from Nikon when you PRE-ORDER the NEW NIKON Z Camera

Also - Im sure price has gone down for pre-orders? Z6 is £2099 now.

One thing that sometimes gets a mention is the sensor glass thickness but after using adapted manual lenses on Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras and on my Canon 5D I personally think it's a pixel peeping thing. I could be wrong and I know that it does matter to a degree but for me hand wringing over the glass thickness is mostly a bit OTT.

My other issue with the Z is that I use my 70-200 a lot. Therefore I would need to use the adaptor, and looking at the length of it, my already far away zoom ring would be even further away!

You will receive a FREE 64gb 400mbs XQD memory card from Nikon when you PRE-ORDER the NEW NIKON Z Camera

Also - Im sure price has gone down for pre-orders? Z6 is £2099 now.
I think Nikon may have read all the negative press, comments and reviews and taken action. Still think it might be too late given the apparently poor AF performance.

It’d surely be exactly the same distance away? (Well sensor to sensor it would)

I dont know lol. I thought in terms of grip to zoom on the lens it would be further but might be wrong. Be ok if they left the damn zoom ring where it was on the VRII

In any case, whilst talking 'native' lenses, is a Sony lens not a Zeiss optic (or vice-versa)?
Hi, the design is by ZEISS, manufacturing and quality control (if any) is by SONY.

There are no ZEISS lenses sold as such made by SONY.

ZM lenses (for Leica M mount) are made by Cosina (Japan), i.e. manufactured there.

Hi, the design is by ZEISS, manufacturing and quality control (if any) is by SONY.

There are no ZEISS lenses sold as such made by SONY.

ZM lenses (for Leica M mount) are made by Cosina (Japan), i.e. manufactured there.

Without a design there would be nothing to manufacture and QC - Zeiss then? Likewise, Panasonic/Leica? :exit:

So in terms of the Z6 - which says 12 FPS, are we saying its not actually capable of 11fps through the EVF?

"Without a design there would be nothing to manufacture and QC - Zeiss then? Likewise, Panasonic/Leica? :exit:"

Theoretically speaking, you are right.--- However, if you buy a product, you normally do not just want to buy a design, and this is where manufacturing and qualiy control come into play.

For me, the whole is what counts.... ---

Last edited:
So in terms of the Z6 - which says 12 FPS, are we saying its not actually capable of 11fps through the EVF?
I also believe that the AF system only AF/AE locks on the first frame :eek: Worth checking / confirming.

"Without a design there would be nothing to manufacture and QC - Zeiss then? Likewise, Panasonic/Leica? :exit:"

Theoretically speaking, you are right.--- However, if you buy a product, you normally do not just want to buy a design, and this is where manufacturing and qualiy control come into play.

For me, the whole is what counts.... ---

The whole thing is such a web of smoke, mirrors and marketing we'll probably never know who designed what. And maybe it doesn't or rather shouldn't matter but sadly it does as there are always those influenced by the badge... look no further than the Panasonics rebadged as Leicas and sold at inflated prices for proof.

I dont know lol. I thought in terms of grip to zoom on the lens it would be further but might be wrong. Be ok if they left the damn zoom ring where it was on the VRII

You may have a (small) point there - Nikon Z sensor sits well forward from the rear of the camera. But obviously the lens-to-sensor distance is exactly the same with the adapter as it is on a DSLR.

The whole thing is such a web of smoke, mirrors and marketing we'll probably never know who designed what.
I know, and I spoke to ZEISS about this. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in Germany.

Anyway, who cares (here)?

I think Nikon may have read all the negative press, comments and reviews and taken action. Still think it might be too late given the apparently poor AF performance.
I think there's too many varying opinions on the AF performance at the moment and we'll have to wait and see for the full release and get proper real world reviews. Some show that it's poor and lacks accuracy, some say it's fantastic.

I also believe that the AF system only AF/AE locks on the first frame :eek: Worth checking / confirming.
It does on the Z7 at 9fps, you have to use it at 5.5fps if you don't want exposure lock, not seen any info about the Z6 though?

One thing that sometimes gets a mention is the sensor glass thickness but after using adapted manual lenses on Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras and on my Canon 5D I personally think it's a pixel peeping thing. I could be wrong and I know that it does matter to a degree but for me hand wringing over the glass thickness is mostly a bit OTT.

All the glass in the 'sensor stack' that sits in front of every sensor doesn't work well with very short back-focus lenses, eg heritage Leica/Zeiss super wides. There are well documented flare problems due to the very narrow angle of light striking around the edges of the frame. Vignetting problems are also made worse due to the pixel wells being partially shaded at narrow angles. Film doesn't suffer these issues, and smaller digital formats than full-frame are also much less affected.

For these reasons, the reduced back-focus distance possible with mirrorless is very much a mixed blessing. My guess is that while marketers like to talk about the size reductions possible, in practise optical designers may choose to ignore it, at least partially, and stick with mildly retro-focus wide-angle designs. The new Nikon Z wide primes are certainly not very compact.

Last edited:
The grip will be smaller, but the whole of the lens will be almost exactly the same distance from the back of the camera (given the sensor may be slightly closer of further from the rear of the camera) It’ll be further from the ‘front’ of the camera based on the lack of mirrorbox, but that’s academic

I think there's too many varying opinions on the AF performance at the moment and we'll have to wait and see for the full release and get proper real world reviews. Some show that it's poor and lacks accuracy, some say it's fantastic.
<snip>

AF is not as good as the similarly priced D850 on current form. End of story IMHO - at least so far.

I've noticed that the problem with tracking AF is that it appears to be consistently back-focusing slightly. If it's simply that the hardware can't keep up (unlikely?) then Nikon has a problem only a new camera can solve, but if it's firmware/software related, maybe there is hope.

For example, an improved algorithm which better predicts how far the lens has to refocus would sort it, just like it does in Nikon's DSLRs that are uncannily clever in predicting how far the subject is going to move, and in which direction, in the few ms between the AF system taking a reading and the shutter firing. DSLRs are 100% phase-detect AF though, and the Nikon Zeds are hybrid-AF so maybe not so straightforward. We'll soon find out :)

It does on the Z7 at 9fps, you have to use it at 5.5fps if you don't want exposure lock, not seen any info about the Z6 though?

5.5fps would be poor on the Z6.

AF is not as good as the similarly priced D850 on current form. End of story IMHO - at least so far.

I've noticed that the problem with tracking AF is that it appears to be consistently back-focusing slightly. If it's simply that the hardware can't keep up (unlikely?) then Nikon has a problem only a new camera can solve, but if it's firmware/software related, maybe there is hope.

For example, an improved algorithm which better predicts how far the lens has to refocus would sort it, just like it does in Nikon's DSLRs that are uncannily clever in predicting how far the subject is going to move, and in which direction, in the few ms between the AF system taking a reading and the shutter firing. DSLRs are 100% phase-detect AF though, and the Nikon Zeds are hybrid-AF so maybe not so straightforward. We'll soon find out :)
Yeah, I'll what until I see full release. Doesn't really matter though, as I'll not be buying one either way ;)

5.5fps would be poor on the Z6.
Based on the Z7 I'd expect the Z6 to be more like 8fps without exp lock. Guess we'll have to wait and see ;)

As importantly, if you want live feedback between frames, you have to reduce the speed of the Z6 to 5.5fps compared to 8fps on the A7 III, so for me the A7 III looks more powerful and capable when it comes to autofocus and burst shooting.

Live feedback between frames? what does that mean exactly? I want to track an object and follow it through burst? Does that mean I would need to shoot at 5.5fps?

I completely baffled as to why any Nikon user should want to use a Canon lens on a Nikon camera! This thread has stretched the bounds of credibility at times but this one takes the biscuit - come on people; let's get real here :p

Then you're not trying very hard, are you saying if there were no drawbacks you wouldn't happily pick and choose between brands?

My point was never that it's super important Nikon users be able to use Canon lenses but rather than it's unreasonable to expect third party adapters that allow you to use Canon/Nikon/Sony A/etc lenses to work perfectly compared to one made by Nikon which just adapts Nikon lenses.

Not sure what you mean here, the brand doesn't matter compared to what system it's intended for. If you're talking about actually manufacturing I assume the actual grunt work is done by Sony.

Last edited:
As importantly, if you want live feedback between frames, you have to reduce the speed of the Z6 to 5.5fps compared to 8fps on the A7 III, so for me the A7 III looks more powerful and capable when it comes to autofocus and burst shooting.

Live feedback between frames? what does that mean exactly? I want to track an object and follow it through burst? Does that mean I would need to shoot at 5.5fps?

It means you're seeing exactly what's in front of the camera, as you would with a DSLR (subject to tiny delays in the viewfinder refresh rate etc).

With early mirrorless cameras, panning a moving subject was very hit and miss as the viewfinder was basically playing back the image that had just been taken and the subject could easily have traveled out of the frame. Hopeless frankly.

It means you're seeing exactly what's in front of the camera, as you would with a DSLR (subject to tiny delays in the viewfinder refresh rate etc).

With early mirrorless cameras, panning a moving subject was very hit and miss as the viewfinder was basically playing back the image that had just been taken and the subject could easily have traveled out of the frame. Hopeless frankly.

Eeek so the Z6 can only manage 5.5fps doing that. Damn... thats 2 things that have now ruled this camera out. Shame really.

Canon have some very good lenses often superior to the Nikon variants and whilst I for one think canon cameras are quite poor in comparison to their Nikon equivalents, even their last gen Nikon equivalents (e.g 5dmk4 vs D810) I would love to try some of the better canon glass and can quite clearly see they have their lens line up better sorted, for example their latest 24-70 is really very good.

Last edited:
Then you're not trying very hard, are you saying if there were no drawbacks you wouldn't happily pick and choose between brands?

My point was never that it's super important Nikon users be able to use Canon lenses but rather than it's unreasonable to expect third party adapters that allow you to use Canon/Nikon/Sony A/etc lenses to work perfectly compared to one made by Nikon which just adapts Nikon lenses.

What's wrong with protecting Intellectual Property Rights? If Nikon want to preclude the Independents then that's their prerogative surely?

Canon have some very good lenses often superior to the Nikon variants and whilst I for one think canon cameras are quite poor in comparison to their Nikon equivalents, even their last gen Nikon equivalents (e.g 5dmk4 vs D810) I would love to try some of the better canon glass and can quite clearly see they have their lens line up better sorted, for example their latest 24-70 is really very good.

I was thinking more along the lines it would be a complete anathema to Nikon users for Canon glass to be mounted on a Nikon! (Personally, I've always found Canon lenses to be too contrasty for me)

Back