Nikon price increases Jan 2016 - up to 30% rumoured!

This doesn't make any sense. You could understand it if the Yen had strengthened significantly against the Pound, but that hasn't happened.

I did not see on the list any of the lens I have or wish!
I think that maybe it's the chinese production that is targeted
not the japanese!

The thing is it's going to make people hold off buying and then either go with grey or second hand. For me I've got the kit I need so I hopefully welcome the corresponding increase in used prices if there is a corresponding increase in grey too, that's got to be likely as surely Hong Kong prices will also increase otherwise they will surely be shooting themselves in the foot!

I can see why such an announcement would relate to EURO prices - look at what has happened to the Euro in the last year

If the longer primes get any more expensive ........ well !!!!! ... but I don't see those on the list

Last edited:
They must have had bad sales due to phones taking over the low end market. So they decided to raise the profit margin.

I'm glad I use Canon and in general don't need anything new today.

I can see why such an announcement would relate to EURO prices - look at what has happened to the Euro in the last year

If the longer primes get any more expensive ........ well !!!!! ... but I don't see those on the list
I haven't seen them cutting prices while the yen has been falling off a cliff for the last few years.

Digital camera sales overall are falling, and within that market Nikon are heavily challenged at the low, mid and high ends. Strategic response....raise prices.... That kind of thinking is why, having been a delighted Nikon user for twenty years, I moved away. The cameras were, and are superb, but with that kind of management strategy it's so hard to see them continuing to be superb a few years hence. Is this a system I want to bet on? Honestly at this point I had to say no.

A stupid and insane idea in my opinion - the markets already in its death throws

I thought the pound has gone up a lot in the last 2 years, the euro stayed more stable? But so is it the euro that went down?

Last edited:
I thought the pound has gone up a lot in the last 2 years, the euro stayed more stable? But so is it the euro that went down?

I said "I can see why such an announcement would relate to EURO prices - look at what has happened to the Euro in the last year"

The Euro has weakened against the US $ and Japanese yen ...... therefore Nikon are getting less yen or Dollars now from Euro pricing, (because the Euro is worth less than it was a few years ago), than they did say 4 years ago ................ so they need to increase their Euro prices to get the same number of dollars as they did say 3 years ago.

but as some of their gear is made in China and other places ...... the exchange rates, wage rates and inflation rates, applicable to these countries must have some effect

Last edited:
Yes, but JPY has dropped from 135 or so only down to 130. Only three years ago it was at 90! So in 2012 Nikon were getting 90 yen for every Euro of sales they made - over the last three years that has increased 50%, so that they gathered 135 yen for every Euro of sales! No price cut made during that time - just take the cash and watch the market be eaten from underneath (not saying that's wrong). Now the Yen 'strengthens' (some may say rebalance) mildly so Nikon lose some gains, and they immediately raise prices. THAT I will say is wrong in my opinion, their market position (Nikon's, and DSLR in general) is bad enough already without that.

Seems like pretty much every retailer has increased the prices of the 50mm 1.8G now. I had to buy one there as a present and was shocked at how much they have gone up in price over recent weeks. Even Amazon have pushed them up too over £160. Quite a few other retailers around that too.The big retailers like Calumet and Jessops have put there price up to £179. I imagine the others will follow suit soon as the few suppliers left at under £140 are probably still selling them at that because they have older stock. Once they need to bring more in from distribution there prices will likely go up too. Crazy increase considering not that long ago quite a few main stream retailers where selling them at under £109.

Last edited:
Back