Nikon Z* mirrorless

I had sold my f-mount 105mm Macro in preparation.
I expect it to be in short supply, get your orders in asap. I also expect it to be epic.

I'm not really excited about either. I think they'll be Z mount equivalents of the 105 AFS-VR and 60mm AFS we have now. Both of those are tack sharp and frankly, what else does a macro lens need be? If I consider that 99% of my macro images are shot in full manual mode then there is already multitude of very sharp macro lenses on the market, both current and legacy. Will I get one? Possibly the 50mm but I don't expect it to produce anything better than the 60mm AF-S G except not requiring an adapter.

I'm not really excited about either. I think they'll be Z mount equivalents of the 105 AFS-VR and 60mm AFS we have now. Both of those are tack sharp and frankly, what else does a macro lens need be? If I consider that 99% of my macro images are shot in full manual mode then there is already multitude of very sharp macro lenses on the market, both current and legacy. Will I get one? Possibly the 50mm but I don't expect it to produce anything better than the 60mm AF-S G except not requiring an adapter.
Whilst I used my own mostly in manual, I found for out and about macro the autofocus of my 105mm G seriously poor. I also found the focus breathing terrible making stacking difficult. There was certainly better macro lenses for the F-mount, unfortunately I didn't own one of them. This is why I'm excited for the release of a native Z-mount that hopefully exceeds those lenses as it wouldn't have been difficult to surpass my G version.

Whilst I used my own mostly in manual, I found for out and about macro the autofocus of my 105mm G seriously poor. I also found the focus breathing terrible making stacking difficult. There was certainly better macro lenses for the F-mount, unfortunately I didn't own one of them. This is why I'm excited for the release of a native Z-mount that hopefully exceeds those lenses as it wouldn't have been difficult to surpass my G version.

Interesting. I've never used the 105 G, only the 60 and didn't encounter any problems with it personally but the only real stacking I've done is with 10x or 20x modified microscope lenses. I'm pumped to test out my newly acquired Takumar 50mm f/4 1:1 preset if I could just find the time.

Interesting. I've never used the 105 G, only the 60 and didn't encounter any problems with it personally but the only real stacking I've done is with 10x or 20x modified microscope lenses. I'm pumped to test out my newly acquired Takumar 50mm f/4 1:1 preset if I could just find the time.
I'm currently using the Z-mount Laowa 100mm f2.8 2X and with good light it's enjoyable. Unfortunately having no readout or electronic aperture control is a pain.

Last edited:
Quite intrigued by one of the two new ‘pancake’ lenses (they’re very compact, but ‘pancake’ is probably pushing it a little)…

I’d like to replace my 35mm G with something native at some point. Will wait and see how the Viltrox 35mm f/1.8 and the Nikon 40mm f/2 shape up!

I'm really trying to resist the urge for the 14-30. Some of these shots being shared with it are brilliant!

I asked about batteries a while back given the complete lack of Nikon ones available at the moment. Bought 8 Ravpower ones on recommendation here from Amazon and they've been great, 2200 shots from a single battery on Monday in my Z5! Not sure how that would have compared to the official EN-EL15E one as I only used that for the final 200 or so shots.

Shooting an event I'll always go way, way past the CIPA rating, but typically that's been 1200-1500 or so with previous mirrorless cameras, mighty impressed to get 2k out of one third party battery (probably didn't need to buy 8!)

I'm really trying to resist the urge for the 14-30. Some of these shots being shared with it are brilliant!
I’m really liking mine. Definitely worth adding to your collection.

Thank you, gits. It should be here Friday/Saturday from Amazon :LOL:

Have to say, was a little disappointed that in the announcements this week there was no mention of the long lenses (the 100-400 or the 200-600), not even a development announcement or something. I don't have anything longer than my 300mm PF, and to be honest am loath to splash the cash on an F mount long zoom or prime (be it Nikon or 3rd party), if these Z longer lenses are just months away. C'mon Nikon - give us something at least.

Sod resist. Grab it whilst it's £809 on Amazon!

I was just curious to see what it costs in Germany. Around £700! Importing from Amazon uk since this hard Brexit is about £50 more than the UK price so it's generally out of the question. But I'm now wishing I hadn't looked :mad:. Especially as I jut bought the 85mm f1.8 with cashback in a local shop I'd been trying to get since November. They also had the 24-200 but it was gone within a day. I have the Irix 15mm so perhaps I can resist but that was bought when the 14-30 was over a grand....

EDIT panic over -- was looking at the wrong lens. Amazon.de don't have it in stock just now. Whew...

Last edited:
Have to say, was a little disappointed that in the announcements this week there was no mention of the long lenses (the 100-400 or the 200-600), not even a development announcement or something. I don't have anything longer than my 300mm PF, and to be honest am loath to splash the cash on an F mount long zoom or prime (be it Nikon or 3rd party), if these Z longer lenses are just months away. C'mon Nikon - give us something at least.

Same. I want that 100-400!

I have the 105mm f2.8D micro. No AF on the Z but it doesn't matter. I only rarely do macro and this is more than good enough for the occasions I do. Had thought of selling but it's not worth very much and every few years comes a little macro craze.

I have the 105mm f2.8D micro. No AF on the Z but it doesn't matter. I only rarely do macro and this is more than good enough for the occasions I do. Had thought of selling but it's not worth very much and every few years comes a little macro craze.
I do quite a bit of macro, so the superior optics, lighter, faster focusing and other improvements are a welcome upgrade. I pre-ordered it straight away.

I want to know the specs. It's the only lens on the current roadmap which is of any interest (now that I've got the coveted 85) but it would have to replace something - presumably the 70-300 AF-P

My longest is now an AIS ED 180mm plus a TC-14A converter but don't want to get longer until I know the specs and release date of this one.

Z6 mk2. The viewfinder staying black until it detects an eye is doing my head in. Any way of ‘switching’ this off?

Z6 mk2. The viewfinder staying black until it detects an eye is doing my head in. Any way of ‘switching’ this off?
It`s the button on the left of the eye cup, press until you find what you want. (D) <------ Looks something like that :)

To compare to the Viltrox, here is one of my very first Nikon 85mm f1,8. So far, the lens hasn't left f1.8!

DSC_3344.jpg
I had considered the Viltrox but the Nikon reviews have been so good that I couldn't resist with a cashback. So far, everything has been big and richly saturated with perfect AF and smooth bokeh. The AF is important as I'd like it for street as well --- for more posed portraits, I could just use something like the 80-200 f2.8 D for a rather different approach. In some ways, I regret selling the AIS 105mm f2.5 with its delicate and refined rendering. Nikon's Z primes are more full-on and contrasty but this 85 is obviously a very good example and certainly my best Z to date.

Last edited:
Introduced my 14-30 to Wales on Bank Holiday Monday. We headed off for a walk up Moel Eilio, away from the hordes that would descend upon Snowdon. Driving through Capel Curig found the lake still and calm so a short stop for Wales' ultimate 'chocolate box' shot. My first images with the 14-30.

Llynnau Mymbyr
by Jason, on Flickr

Anyone using prime Z lenses? I like the flexibility of the zooms but thinking a Z prime would be fun to shoot with.

Potentially either the 35mm or 50mm. Anyone have any thoughts having shot either?

I have the 50 and 85 like the 85 better more my style but 50 very sharp
Anyone using prime Z lenses? I like the flexibility of the zooms but thinking a Z prime would be fun to shoot with.

Potentially either the 35mm or 50mm. Anyone have any thoughts having shot either?

Thorpe Bay at Sunrise with Nikon Z6 ii and 24-200

rplGBt2.jpg

DSS3mWe.jpg

Last edited:

I had the 50mm originally, loved it so much I sold it and bought the 35 and 85. Really incredible lenses! I use the 35mm a lot and am thankful for the 1.8 when shooting CrossFit/Weightlifting for local gyms.

The nice thing with the Z lenses is there is quite a market for them so as long as you buy them sensibly you can sell them and not loose any/much money at all. It's a great time to experiment with them to find what works best for you.

Last edited:

My 50mm f/1.8 is as sharp and detailed as the Zeiss 50mm Milvus I had, without the weight - and vignetting. On the Z7 there's an air of Medium Format about the results.

Back