Nikon Z* mirrorless

My Z7 has finally arrived. To say I’m pleased with it is an understatement. I also have a Sony A7R III and when I first got it I was blown away with the quality of the files it produced but I’ve never really liked it as a camera. The first impressions of the Z are that first and foremost ergonomically it’s a lovely camera to hold and use but it also seems to produce great files as well. I predict the A7R III may soon be up for sale :nikon:

40mm f2 arrived yesterday. In fairness the IQ is pretty good from shooting a few odd photos around the house and garden.

Have to say though, I’m not overkeen on the looks/feel of it on the Z6. Feels like an oversized bridge camera. :ROFLMAO:

My Z7 has finally arrived. To say I’m pleased with it is an understatement. I also have a Sony A7R III and when I first got it I was blown away with the quality of the files it produced but I’ve never really liked it as a camera. The first impressions of the Z are that first and foremost ergonomically it’s a lovely camera to hold and use but it also seems to produce great files as well. I predict the A7R III may soon be up for sale :nikon:
It’s a great camera and the body can be picked up for £1300 new which is excellent considering bodies like the Sony A73 are still £1800 in some places.

My friend shoots with a Z7 and he loves it.

So, as you may know (or not) I use the original Z6 for my photos. I upgraded recently to the 3.4 FW and decided to try the Auto Area- Auto AF again with my dog running towards me.
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how far away it picked up my dog and then quickly switched to the eye AF. The focus was quite sticky in the EVF as well. The photos though showed that at times, the focus was just behind the eye and since I used my 300/2.8 for this, the critical focus was necessary for a good photo.
Still, on an open field, with no near distractions, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for simplicity.

Mid step by luftwalk, on Flickr

Tried again today though, since it started snowing and as I expected, the snowflakes were too much of a hindrance for the auto AF to work on the dog. I had to switch to my usual Wide-S mode to get a burst going. Will be interesting to see if the same applies to a Z9 once it arrives.

Got this (amongst others) today. I actually think she really did get a snowflake right down her ear :)

Got something in my ear... by luftwalk, on Flickr

So, as you may know (or not) I use the original Z6 for my photos. I upgraded recently to the 3.4 FW and decided to try the Auto Area- Auto AF again with my dog running towards me.
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how far away it picked up my dog and then quickly switched to the eye AF. The focus was quite sticky in the EVF as well. The photos though showed that at times, the focus was just behind the eye and since I used my 300/2.8 for this, the critical focus was necessary for a good photo.
Still, on an open field, with no near distractions, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for simplicity.

Mid step by luftwalk, on Flickr

Tried again today though, since it started snowing and as I expected, the snowflakes were too much of a hindrance for the auto AF to work on the dog. I had to switch to my usual Wide-S mode to get a burst going. Will be interesting to see if the same applies to a Z9 once it arrives.

Got this (amongst others) today. I actually think she really did get a snowflake right down her ear :)

Got something in my ear... by luftwalk, on Flickr
Superb. It's pictures like this that make me think again about returning to Nikon. I moved to Sony for the AF but I really miss my Nikon gear.

Superb. It's pictures like this that make me think again about returning to Nikon. I moved to Sony for the AF but I really miss my Nikon gear.

Hi Trevor, thank you for the kind words. I really feel like Nikon works for me in some way. Hoping to get a trickle down from Z9 into the newer lower spec models, since the AF there seems fantastic.

My Z5 arrived yesterday. Not yet had a chance to play with it properly yet but I am sure it will be more than sufficient for my needs.
I have put my Canon 6d on Gumtree but so far only had Chancers who want it posted!
Guess it's off to Mpb.

My Z5 arrived yesterday. Not yet had a chance to play with it properly yet but I am sure it will be more than sufficient for my needs.
I have put my Canon 6d on Gumtree but so far only had Chancers who want it posted!
Guess it's off to Mpb.
Gumtree is a waste of time, full of scammers!

Guess it's off to Mpb.

I generally always shift unwanted stuff to MPB, unless I'm trading towards new toys then I'll give Jessops a chance to quote. Selling privately can be more hassle for a generally small bit of extra cash.

Enjoy the Z5. I've been pretty chuffed with mine. (y)

Love the last one with the sparks showing!

I suspect I probably already know the answer to this but is there any way to make a Z7 remember it’s drive mode when it turns off. I keep using the 5 second self timer and every time I turn it on again it’s back to single shot. I can use the shutter delay function (which it does remember) but if bracketing it appears you need to press the shutter release for each exposure whereas with the self timer it fires them all off with one button press :thinking:

I suspect I probably already know the answer to this but is there any way to make a Z7 remember it’s drive mode when it turns off. I keep using the 5 second self timer and every time I turn it on again it’s back to single shot. I can use the shutter delay function (which it does remember) but if bracketing it appears you need to press the shutter release for each exposure whereas with the self timer it fires them all off with one button press :thinking:
I think you can save the setting to a user mode eg U1/2/3 and does it not stay if you use manual mode?

Last edited:
I think you can save the setting to a user mode eg U1/2/3 and does it not stay if you use manual mode?
Thanks, I’ve tried saving it to U1 but it reverts when I turn it off. I haven’t actually tried in manual, only Aperture priority, I shall experiment with that shortly.
Thanks. James :)

I’m surprised if your saving to U1 a shutter speed that does not stay when powering on again, sorry if you are doing this but you are going into menus and saving settings? Not just setting it when on U1 expecting it to save automatically? Sorry if insulting your knowledge

I’m surprised if your saving to U1 a shutter speed that does not stay when powering on again, sorry if you are doing this but you are going into menus and saving settings? Not just setting it when on U1 expecting it to save automatically? Sorry if insulting your knowledge
No need to be sorry at all, I’m learning a new system so my knowledge is practically zero. It’s not shutter speed that I’m struggling with though it’s the self timer on the drive mode setting/rear right button. Having had a bit of a scout around online it’s looking like it’s just how it is on the Z7 that’s been solved on the Z7 II :)
Edit… Thanks for the link to the video I shall have a look tomorrow (y)

Last edited:
One from last nights Sunset, I was watching the clouds all afternoon and as the Mrs wanted a walk I dragged her to this point I know of.
Just outside of St Tropez.
Z6ii teamed with the Z 24-70 f4 with a 10 stop filter.
219 seconds.

St Tropez sky by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Some great shots shared on here recently!

In slightly surprising news, according to Nikon Rumours, there's a sub-£1,000 Nikon Z 28-75 f/2.8 being announced tonight, that may in some way be linked to the Tamron lens of the same focal length... Interesting new partnership/distribution method in the making?

And forgot to say - the insanity of low-light performance on modern cameras… the first two are at ISO 25,600 and 22,800 respectively.

Back