Nikon Z* mirrorless

Has anyone got / had a 24-200? I already have the 24-70 and 24-120 which are both great, but I’m off to Japan next year and was thinking of buying a 24-200 for the trip and then selling it on after. My reasoning is that the 24-70 is nice and light but maybe a bit short and the 24-120 is fantastic but a bit heavy, so was thinking that the 24-200 might be an ideal. I know that I’m sacrificing ultimate image quality for flexibility but I’m ok with that won’t be as it’s not like I’m going to be printing A1 posters and viewing them from 2 inches away.

So, is there anything I should be aware of, or experiences to pass on?

I had one and sold it when I got the 24-120. (The 24-200 came out a while before the 24-120).
I found a noticeable difference in image quality with the new lens (24-120).
Mine was an early copy.
On various forums people praise this lens so perhaps I was just unlucky and got a poor one.

Has anyone got / had a 24-200? I already have the 24-70 and 24-120 which are both great, but I’m off to Japan next year and was thinking of buying a 24-200 for the trip and then selling it on after. My reasoning is that the 24-70 is nice and light but maybe a bit short and the 24-120 is fantastic but a bit heavy, so was thinking that the 24-200 might be an ideal. I know that I’m sacrificing ultimate image quality for flexibility but I’m ok with that won’t be as it’s not like I’m going to be printing A1 posters and viewing them from 2 inches away.

So, is there anything I should be aware of, or experiences to pass on?

Yes, and I absolutely love it, my most-used lens by far as I often just want a single-lens setup.

I also have a 14-30, 28-75, and will be getting a 70-180 when it comes out, but the 24-200 will be staying, as it’s just so handy. More than sharp enough for my purposes, and you can get a bit of background blur at the longer end. Obviously there are limitations, but for a single-lens travel solution, I think it’s awesome!

I had one and sold it when I got the 24-120. (The 24-200 came out a while before the 24-120).
Mine was an early copy.
On various forums people praise this lens so perhaps I was just unlucky and got a poor one.
Yes I’m hoping that the IQ will be good enough - I’m not expecting it to be a world beater but I don’t need it to be. I’ve only had one super zoom style lens and that was the Fuji 18-135 which was a decent lens, but a bit big and unbalanced on an XT body.
Yes, and I absolutely love it, my most-used lens by far as I often just want a single-lens setup.

I also have a 14-30, 28-75, and will be getting a 70-180 when it comes out, but the 24-200 will be staying, as it’s just so handy. More than sharp enough for my purposes, and you can get a bit of background blur at the longer end. Obviously there are limitations, but for a single-lens travel solution, I think it’s awesome!
I’ve seen some excellent reviews on YouTube that rate it highly, and it’s a one lens option I’m after for Japan (although I’m tempted to take my 14-30 also). I have the F mount 70-200 which I use with the converter but I don’t want to be hauling that round as well, so the 24-200 seems to be the best compromise.

Anyone know the cost of replacing the Z9 screen? Friend has just scratched mine.

Mine was an early copy.
Glad to know you thought you had a poor one when you sold it me but it’s very good, I have no issues at all and would recommend it to anyone.

Glad to know you thought you had a poor one when you sold it me but it’s very good, I have no issues at all and would recommend it to anyone.
Oops - I thought I'd sold it to a dealer. Very sorry.
As I said, the 24-120 suits me better and IMO is sharper.

Very pleased you are happy with it.

The answer to the question “how much is a new screen for a Z9?”

Just under £400 including labour.

I normally don't bother with screen protectors, but knowing the Z8 is going to be with me for quite sometime I got a double set. Top screen and back screen.
Certainly a lot cheaper than a screen, but how protective they are to anything other than rubbing or scratching is questionable.

I normally don't bother with screen protectors, but knowing the Z8 is going to be with me for quite sometime I got a double set. Top screen and back screen.
Certainly a lot cheaper than a screen, but how protective they are to anything other than rubbing or scratching is questionable.
Saved my D850 screen from damage when I took a tumble at an event.
Screen protector was damaged from a stone, but not the screen.

Last edited:
I've a thing for scratches, everything I have has always got a screen protector on - get a glass one from Amazon and they seem perfect. Just gives me peace of mind!

Do these screen protectors degrade the touch sensitivity of the screens, if it is glass then how does the screen react to your touch ?

Do these screen protectors degrade the touch sensitivity of the screens, if it is glass then how does the screen react to your touch ?
Not had any issues with the one I put on my z6ii.

Not in my experience. Put glass protectors on both my Z6 and Z7 and basically forgot they were even there.

Same here, never done it before but this was a huge investment for me and if I do decide to downsize to a Z8 in the future, it will help re-sale value too.

The answer to the question “how much is a new screen for a Z9?”

Just under £400 including labour.
More than 1 yr of insurance...

I just had the AF motor replaced in my 400/2.8. That cost $900 (US) and insurance paid all of it (including shipping).
They've also replaced the sensor in my D5 when I scratched it cleaning it ($1500), replaced my D4 when it drowned ($4500), replaced a lens that went off the side of a cliff ($600)...

But I do have the hardened glass protectors on all of my cameras anyway.

Last edited:
More than 1 yr of insurance...

I just had the AF motor replaced in my 400/2.8. That cost $900 (US) and insurance paid all of it (including shipping).
They've also replaced the sensor in my D5 when I scratched it cleaning it ($1500), replaced my D4 when it drowned ($4500), replaced a lens that went off the side of a cliff ($600)...

But I do have the hardened glass protectors on all of my cameras anyway.
And your premium now is ...

Long shot I know, but does anyone know where I could purchase the Smallrig vlog handle for the Nikon Z30 that houses the ML-L7 remote, (the one that Nikon sold as part of its Z30 Vlogging kit) ? I’ve been searching everywhere (even Smallrig’s website), and it seems its either been discontinued or just isn’t available anywhere ?

Long shot I know, but does anyone know where I could purchase the Smallrig vlog handle for the Nikon Z30 that houses the ML-L7 remote, (the one that Nikon sold as part of its Z30 Vlogging kit) ? I’ve been searching everywhere (even Smallrig’s website), and it seems its either been discontinued or just isn’t available anywhere ?
I don’t think it’s ever officially been available outside the vloging kits they put it in.

yes !! Where did you find that please ?

Oh.. would. You be willing to sell please, if so how much please ?

How does £45 delivered sound ? Should i stick in the classifieds. not sure of the ettiquete here.
Don't think you're allowed to sell outside of the classifieds

Agreed. Assuming price is ok, if you stick it in there I’ll but it off you ?

And replied to thanks (y)

Back