Nikon Z* mirrorless

Just checking out prices of the 24-200 and I noticed that Jessops are listing them for £669, whereas everywhere else is £749. That’s a great price as they sell for more than that second hand. The catch? They’re listed as waiting stock. So I emailed Jessops and they said they’d estimate that they’d have them in 1-2 months.

I think I’ll just buy a used one……..

Just checking out prices of the 24-200 and I noticed that Jessops are listing them for £669, whereas everywhere else is £749. That’s a great price as they sell for more than that second hand. The catch? They’re listed as waiting stock. So I emailed Jessops and they said they’d estimate that they’d have them in 1-2 months.

£590 new from E-infinity

Just wondering if someone with a Z8 could may be help on behalf of a friend?
Was recently trying out a friends Z8. He only uses CF express cards and as expected the write speeds are nice and fast.
I personally only have SD cards (UHS-II V90 fast cards) so I was using that instead when I was trying it. It was slower but that's expected and seemed reasonable.

But we decided to try dual cards i.e. CFe+SD cards with RAW and it was actually slower than using just the SD card only. I have two different brands of SD cards and it was same with both brands.

May be this expected, I don't know. but if someone has any experience of this it'd be nice to hear about it.

Our tests are by no means very scientific, it was basically an approximation with a wrist watch.

Last edited:
Just wondering if someone with a Z8 could may be help on behalf of a friend?
Was recently trying out a friends Z8. He only uses CF express cards and as expected the write speeds are nice and fast.
I personally only have SD cards (UHS-II V90 fast cards) so I was using that instead when I was trying it. It was slower but that's expected and seemed reasonable.

But we decided to try dual cards i.e. CFe+SD cards with RAW and it was actually slower than using just the SD card only. I have two different brands of SD cards and it was same with both brands.

May be this expected, I don't know. but if someone has any experience of this it'd be nice to hear about it.

Our tests are by no means very scientific, it was basically an approximation with a wrist watch.
Anytime you write dual files to two cards the speed slows down significantly; even when writing to two CFE's on my Z9. If you have it write raw to one card and high quality jpegs to the second it slows down even more.

Last edited:
I don't want to double post, but would be interested in hearing from any Z lens owners who purchased from E-infinity.

Full details here:

Post in thread 'Anyone used E-infinity ?' https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/anyone-used-e-infinity.693872/post-9362600
I’ve bought from E infinity before but not recently. I’ve never had to use their warranty service but it doesn’t seem quite as good as say Panamoz.

For the difference in cost I’d probably buy this from MPB.

Anytime you write to two cards the speed slows down significantly; even when writing to two CFE's on my Z9. If you have it write raw to one card and high quality jpegs to the second it slows down even more.
That's good to know, so it's normal by looks of it.
This is also a bit embarrassing but I have been writing to dual SD cards on my camera for so long didn't think to check and see if it makes a difference on my own camera!

I agree. Writing to 2 cards is slower.
I use the SD card for overflow.
I still use my second card for backup... I pretty much never fill a card.

Yes, it's slower; but does it actually make a difference to how you work? The fastest backup mode is jpeg basic to the second card (even if the second card is slower). The next fastest is medium quality (normal) jpegs, or duplicate raw files, to the second card. And the slowest is recording the highest quality jpegs to the second card.

The basic quality jpeg is the one that Nikons embed into the raw file... so that processing is already done even if you only record raw files to a single card. If you ask for anything else, then that is additional processing/larger file sizes; and that slows things down.

And you will get the same kind of slow downs if you have the camera write raw+jpeg to a single card... it's not the card speed or dual stream that's causing it. That's why all of this emphasis on getting the fastest CFE cards is pointless for photography. It is relevant for 8k video, which will only write one file to one card and is a much larger data stream. But a lot of people who do little/no video work (or HD/4k) are spending a lot of money on top level cards they don't actually need nor benefit from.

On my D850 I set the SD as primary; because it is fast enough and my laptop has an SD card reader built in.

Last edited:
The Z6 is going on a second safari, leaving on Monday to Uganda.
This time I've rented the Nikon 400 4.5 to go with the 70-200 and 1.4TC. Hopefully have plenty of focal ranges covered.

I'd have loved to have got a Z8 for the trip but the maths didn't add up on this occasion, maybe next time!

Fixation. £370 inc VAT
Thanks.

I would not use Fixation unless there is no one else. They tried to charge me for a new sensor on my D7100 when there was nothing wrong with it.

I had it repaired at Sendean for £180 less no sensor required at all. Fixation is a no ,no unless no one else can do it.

There are other places that are always far cheaper than the London repairers.

Thanks for the info in any event.

Interesting question. I've recently purchase a Z30 with the DX16-50 lens from a member in the classifieds. I've also purchased the new DX 12-28mm lens as well, and they are not only tiny and very light, but incredibly sharp across the frame and focal length, which I must admit surprised me a little for such relatively cheap plastic fantastic lenses.

So for a laugh, I mounted them on my Z7 II, and much to my surprise, was impressed in only only how at home they felt (fast AF etc), but how lightweight the combo was and the images from the Z7 II (obviously in auto DX mode), looked pretty much identical to those from the Z30 (as you would expect). It got me thinking, with the Z7 II having an EVF, better video modes etc, my question is, it it really sensible to consider something like a Z7 II with DX lenses to get a lightweight (almost pocketable) solution for travel etc - or am I mad.

For info, my FX lenses I would usually take for the Z7 II would be the 24-120 f4 and the 14-30 F4 with weights of 630g and 485g respectively (a total of 1,115g). For reference the DX 16-50 and 12-28 weigh 135g & 205g respectively (so 340g total) - a saving of 775g. even if I add my 24-70 F4 to the mix (for similar focal length), the weight saving would still be 645g ?

Last edited:
I won't be purchasing another DX unless it offered something crop mode didn’t. The high megapixel count on FX Z7's, Z8 and Z9 mean DX cameras only have size benefits. Once they have 30 megapixels, I'd be interested. I used the 50-250mm on Z7II and was happy enough with it's performance and weight.

Noise has always been a problem with DX images - we have plenty of gloom here in the UK.

But with de-noise software getting better and better it's making DX feasible again IMO.

I have the Z50 with those lenses - they are all good and sharp.

Just a pity Nikon don't give you the option to override the DX crop (like they did with their DSLR's), as I'd be interested to see if the Nikon Z DX lens image circle projects more than just the DX sensor area ?

I did that a few months ago and had to return it as a) the focussing was not reliable enough b) the edge wideangle performance was really dreadful. When it worked, I could get really nice results but I fear I may have got a poor copy. I notice secondhand prices are also lower here at Calumet.de (from around £530 equivalent) than a while back. A shame in a way as I'm still rather tempted by this lens

I had the 24-200 a short while ago and replaced it with the 24-120. Aside from the F6.3 at the long end, had no real complaints with it, was pretty sharp and quick focusing right throughout the zoom range (and that was with my Z6 II & Z7 II so on a Z8 or Z9 I'd image it would be even quicker).

Not really got much bad to say about it really. Part of me thinks I should have kept it for travel.

I did that a few months ago and had to return it as a) the focussing was not reliable enough b) the edge wideangle performance was really dreadful. When it worked, I could get really nice results but I fear I may have got a poor copy. I notice secondhand prices are also lower here at Calumet.de (from around £530 equivalent) than a while back. A shame in a way as I'm still rather tempted by this lens
The reviews I’ve read have been mixed but generally good so it’s nice to have some user feedback. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that image quality won’t be as good as the 24-70 and 24-120 (which are both excellent) but am prepared to make that compromise for the flexibility it affords as a travel lens on my trip to Japan. I’ll just avoid the 24mm end….

The lug "design" is the same as Nikon has used for long time on their DSLRs, and it looks as if the pin that secures the lug hasn't had the "loctite" properly applied, allowing the pin to come loose.

The idea, as I understand it, is that if the pin isn't properly secured, some violent tugging should allow the lug to move. If it doesn't move, the pin is probably properly secured.

Hopefully, Nikon will be able to narrow it down to a small batch of bodies where their has been a issue.

Thom Hogan talks about it here:

The reviews I’ve read have been mixed but generally good so it’s nice to have some user feedback. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that image quality won’t be as good as the 24-70 and 24-120 (which are both excellent) but am prepared to make that compromise for the flexibility it affords as a travel lens on my trip to Japan. I’ll just avoid the 24mm end….
I'll try and take some on mine of the next few days and share them so you can judge for yourself. As I've mentioned before, very happy with mine despite being a soft copy according to the person before me. :)

I'll try and take some on mine of the next few days and share them so you can judge for yourself. As I've mentioned before, very happy with mine despite being a soft copy according to the person before me. :)
Thanks, I took delivery of one from MPB yesterday, but have been painting walls all weekend so haven’t used it yet. I’m off to Wales on holiday next week so will give it a good run out then.

I doubt it will have a stacked sensor like the Z8/Z9. It may have the expeed 7 chip and Z7II sensor, giving good image quality and af accuracy without the speed. It will retain the mechanical shutter.
That's fine, as long as it has 3D tracking with subject recognition. Would like 12fps mechanical shutter though.

IF, and it's a big IF as that report makes no sense ( if there were multiple people at an event trying it then they'd know more details for sure. ), the Zf has a better build than the Zfc more like a fiju build quality, the AF of the Z8/9, and odd things addressed like the lack of an A position on the ISO dial of the Zfc. Well I'm in for one of those. I really rate the 28/2.8SE lens and this would be perfect with it.

I don't really care much on the sensor, but to achieve the same AF I suspect it woudl have to be a stacked sensor which makes it unlikely to be at that price with the right AF. Nikon seem unable so far to get decent AF in a non-stacked sensor. But then we haven't seen a non-stacked sensor with the Expeed7 yet I guess.

That's fine, as long as it has 3D tracking with subject recognition. Would like 12fps mechanical shutter though.
Maybe it gets 3D, subject would be needed I feel. 12fps mechanical doesn't sound to me like a slow retro model, like I think the Zf will be, approx around 7fps I'd expect.
I've just the idea that Nikon needs to make it a decent retro but not to encroach on other possible models like the Z7III if they continue the Z7 line.

Maybe it gets 3D, subject would be needed I feel. 12fps mechanical doesn't sound to me like a slow retro model, like I think the Zf will be, approx around 7fps I'd expect.
I've just the idea that Nikon needs to make it a decent retro but not to encroach on other possible models like the Z7III if they continue the Z7 line.
I wonder if 45mp will be the new "24mp" and the Z7 series will be 60mp going forward. Sony is clearly offering that sensor to other brands (sigma, Leica etc)

Has anyone pre-ordered the 180-600mm and had any notifications on shipping yet. According to t'internet B&H in the US is preparing to shop lenses to people who pre-ordered 1st week August (which would be this week I guess) ? I haven't pre-ordered, but will most likely get this but just wanted to know what availability was going to be like. I expect this to be a very popular lens (especially at it's price point).

Just bought a 40/2 for my Z6. Really good lens for the price and I bought it specifically for that FL which is one I like a lot - having had the pan 20/1.7 ( also cheap as chips ) on m43 for years. Also the two stops advantage over my 24-70/4 at 40 is great.

I don’t get this thing about compactness though on FF bodies - yes it is a bit more compact than my 50/1.8s for example but if I need a compact camera I would still grab my old Olympus em5 or a Nikon 1 in almost all circumstances barring v low light stuff.

I think £213 ( Amazon ) is a bit of a bargain. Not much difference from used or e-infinity.

My other favourite semi wide FL is 28 - but it doesn’t seem to be Nikons. The Z 28/2.8 doesn’t appeal- I am knee deep in similar including the sublime 28/2.8 ais CRC and a few Distagons/Biogons. Sure the Z will perform “better” for most people’s taste but not for me. MF or AF is irrelevant for me for only moderately fast and wide angle lenses in any case. Might have got one had it been f1.8 or f2.

Last edited:
Just bought a 40/2 for my Z6. Really good lens for the price and I bought it specifically for that FL which is one I like a lot - having had the pan 20/1.7 ( also cheap as chips ) on m43 for years. Also the two stops advantage over my 24-70/4 at 40 is great.

I don’t get this thing about compactness though on FF bodies - yes it is a bit more compact than my 50/1.8s for example but if I need a compact camera I would still grab my old Olympus em5 or a Nikon 1 in almost all circumstances barring v low light stuff.

I think £213 ( Amazon ) is a bit of a bargain. Not much difference from used or e-infinity.

My other favourite semi wide FL is 28 - but it doesn’t seem to be Nikons. The Z 28/2.8 doesn’t appeal- I am knee deep in similar including the sublime 28/2.8 ais CRC and a few Distagons/Biogons. Sure the Z will perform “better” for most people’s taste but not for me. MF or AF is irrelevant for me for only moderately fast and wide angle lenses in any case. Might have got one had it been f1.8 or f2.
28 & 40 are great little lenses if you want to make a Z series more compact in comparison to the S line prime lenses. I like the 28mm Z 2.8, the only issue I have with mine is purple fringing.

The other Nikon Z alternative is the 26mm pancake.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the new Z6 from Nikon? I have read all the reviews available and they seem glowing. Thinking of treating myself...…..
Hello there!

The Nikon Z6 is a camera that has been generating a lot of positive feedback lately. I've spent some time reading all the available reviews, and they all seem to have great things to say about it. The Z6 is a full-frame mirrorless camera, and reviewers have been particularly impressed with its image quality, fast autofocus, and low-light performance.

If you're thinking about treating yourself to this camera, it's always a good idea to do a bit more research and check for any updates or newer models or visiting a camera store to get a hands-on experience would also be beneficial, as it can help you see if the Z6 feels comfortable in your hands and if its controls suit your preferences.

Ultimately, if the positive reviews have caught your attention and the Z6 fits your needs and budget, it could be a wonderful choice for an upgrade.

I've had the original Z6 (and Z7) and now have the Z6 II and Z7 II (as well as my Z9). My take on it is that it's a fantastic mirrorless camera with near perfect ergonomics. It's AF for static or slower moving objects is very good indeed and deadly accurate, it's just not a full blow sports or wildlife camera (although many do use it for that purpose, but I'll tend to use my Z9). It just doesn't have quite the top of the line robust AF system or blackout free viewfinder ideally needed for this genre. Image quality though is sublime and easy as good as any 24mp camera out there (if not the best), and high ISO performance is fantastic. It's like my old D750 but on steroids and much more portable and svelte.

Whoops !!

Just tested it out and against the Z50/1.8s and yes I know the later is very good and a different FoV but the 40 was noticeably less sharp even in the centre field on a Z6. Close up it was quite soft as has been reported.

I am not picky but I would just have not used this lens as is.

Anyway, whether it was a poor copy or not I have just returned it to Amazon.

Now there is a service advisory out for the Z8 ref. strap lug problem.
I'm glad I waited before sending mine off for the lens mount.

1691403539206.png

Last edited:
Back