Nikon105mm f1.4

Hope this is true and it's good...

True? …no idea!

What I can anticipate from the published image
is that it is not going to be IF.

What I see, on the same image, is that it is shorter
than the ƒ2.8 as new CAD approaches may bring
new, more compact lens configuration and design.

Unfortunately Nikon Rumors doesn't grade the credibility of its sources, so probably all we can do us wait and see.

It's interesting to note that this has come completely out of the blue. There have been no previous rumours of a 105mm f/1.4. It's also interesting that, so far as I can tell, none of the manufacturers has ever made such a lens before. Those aren't good signs. On the other hand, the announcement does seem to be fairly definite.

I guess we'll see...

Who would this be aimed at? Portrait ?
Genuinely interested, i'm still learning what such large apertures would be of use to. ( being mainly birds)

Who would this be aimed at? Portrait ?
Genuinely interested, i'm still learning what such large apertures would be of use to. ( being mainly birds)
Portraits, maybe for wedding togs paired with a wide and a 50mm.

Unfortunately Nikon Rumors doesn't grade the credibility of its sources, so probably all we can do us wait and see.

It's interesting to note that this has come completely out of the blue. There have been no previous rumours of a 105mm f/1.4. It's also interesting that, so far as I can tell, none of the manufacturers has ever made such a lens before. Those aren't good signs. On the other hand, the announcement does seem to be fairly definite.

I guess we'll see...

Now confirmed by Nikon available in the states from next month.

Very appealing! I'm going to guess that it will be knocking on the door of £2k though. I'll never justify buying one for myself but looking forward to seeing the results from those that do.

Interesting. No VR. I'd rather have seen an update to the 105/135 dc lenses.

I'm guessing, if the rumours true, you could see this as and update/replacment for the 105 DC. I doubt you'll see DC on a lens again

My guess is that if a 135/1.4 was practical they would have done it rather than a 105. 135/1.4 would be huge. The 85/1.4 is 84mm x 86mm and weights about 600g. The 105/1.4 is 95mm x 106mm and weighs 985g. And goodness knows what a 135/1.4 would cost.

I've been hoping for a new 135/2 but this will do fine. The 70-200/2.8 will have to go but I never use it anyway :)

I used to use my 105 (2.8) for portraits before I got my 135 DC.
It's a great length with a nice level of compression.
This one sounds like a lovely lens to add to the bag !

I doubt I could ever justify owning this lens, but I can't wait to see what those who can afford it do with it.

The Sony/Zeiss 135mm 1.8 was the best lens I've ever owned, it's nice to think there is something similar on a system I own to aspire to now!

I'm guessing, if the rumours true, you could see this as and update/replacment for the 105 DC. I doubt you'll see DC on a lens again
On a positive note maybe it'll drive down used prices of the DC?

On a positive note maybe it'll drive down used prices of the DC?

I'd hope so. But 105 is (I think) a funny focal length. Its not that different from 85mm so much so that I imagine people who need (or want) a f/1.4 portrait lens are already using the 85mm f/1.4. There aren't that many use 105 in preference to 85 so I struggle a little to see the upgrade path being much trodden. I doubt it'll affect used prices to much.

I'd hope so. But 105 is (I think) a funny focal length. Its not that different from 85mm so much so that I imagine people who need (or want) a f/1.4 portrait lens are already using the 85mm f/1.4. There aren't that many use 105 in preference to 85 so I struggle a little to see the upgrade path being much trodden. I doubt it'll affect used prices to much.

I'd guess 105mm is around the focal length limit for f/1.4 glass to fit within the Nikon F lens mount. Canon EF mount is slightly bigger, allowing 85/1.2, but even there the light cone is so huge that it gets clipped by the mirror box - out of focus highlights show as igloo shapes off-axis.

I think the big difference between this new lens and say 85/1.4 is sharpness at max aperture. Nikon's MTF graphs suggest very high performance at f/1.4 right across the frame :)

Just seen the release of the 105 1.4. Oh my!! I'd love it!

Not so keen on the price though.

My first two copies of the 105/1.4 have arrived. I think I was right at the very very top of WEx's pre-order list.

They are certainly very impressive beasts to hold. And they look the business. You know how putting a Canon 85/1.2 on your camera looks and feels? It's like that only more so.

I'll have to encourage my staff to get out and play with them to see what they're like in use. (Bizarrely all my staff are Nikon users, but I'm not.)

My first two copies of the 105/1.4 have arrived. I think I was right at the very very top of WEx's pre-order list.

They are certainly very impressive beasts to hold. And they look the business. You know how putting a Canon 85/1.2 on your camera looks and feels? It's like that only more so.

I'll have to encourage my staff to get out and play with them to see what they're like in use. (Bizarrely all my staff are Nikon users, but I'm not.)

I think I will have to hire one of these Stewart. :)

Kev.

Anyone using one of these? Would suit me better than an 85/1.4 but I'd like to get some real-world feedback before taking the plunge.

Don't watch the Angry photographer's video on it if you plan to buy,

Theres a large thread on the fm forum.. seems everyone that owns it loves it and that it seems outstandingly sharp. I would love one but its a bit pricey and would loose a tone on my 85 if i sold it now compared to what it cost me.

Or anything by that guy, he's a waste of time and space.

He was merely highlighting what lensrentals said on this one. Bit shocking that they use plastic gears in such a pricey lens.

Apart for the Aperture size 1,4 v 2,8 and the VR on the 2.8

what is the technical difference between this new 105mm f1.4 and the 105mm f2.8 VR micro ...... I use the f2.8 VR for portraits and sometimes as a general walk around depending on the situation, (local market, group shots and "portraits") ........... and it is very good

Last edited:
He was merely highlighting what lensrentals said on this one. Bit shocking that they use plastic gears in such a pricey lens.

That's hardly what Lens Rentals said, they were actually very positive about the robust construction. It has a USM micro-drive AF motor, with quiet nylon gears as you'd expect and works great. It's just not the ring-type USM that Nikon incorrectly describes in their marketing material.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/12/taking-apart-the-new-nikon-105mm-f1-4e-ed-af-s/

No, it's actually what I said :D The second line

Haha :)

Just thinking about it, I suspect the choice of AF drive motor has more to do with the task in that particular lens rather than cost or anything else. It takes a lot of torque to shift those big lumps of glass with the required speed and precision. Canon have used two different types of drive motor in their 85/1.2 Mk1 and Mk2.

Back