no display on monitor

I’m in the middle of it. I’ve removed the screws but struggling to see the tabs.
As you look straight on at the card where the gap is between the word EVGA and geforce......follow this gap directly down to the motherboard....you should see a black tab. Thats what you pull back/push down on (usually with your thumb)
If successful also detach the power cables going info the graphics card before trying to re power the PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I’ve found it. Do I disconnect the two plugs at the top side of the graphics card sort of side on? It says PCI-E on it. And once I remove it, what do I do then?

OK, I’ve found it. Do I disconnect the two plugs at the top side of the graphics card sort of side on? It says PCI-E on it. And once I remove it, what do I do then?
Yeah they are power cables for the graphics card.
Disconnect them so you can fully remove the card from the case.
After that attach your monitor to the PC using the HDMI cable and the HDMI slot near your USB ports.
Switch on and see if you get something on your monitor.

Stupar would it be ok for me to call you ? The card is stuck. I could do with some help. Thanks.

Stupar would it be ok for me to call you ? The card is stuck. I could do with some help. Thanks.

Nows not a good time for me to chat on the phone.
If the card is stuck it might be that the tab on the slot wasnt pulled back fully.
If in doubt you should be able to gently reseat it in the slot by pushing it down gently (you may here a click - this is fine) until tomorrow where i could help you out more.

It keeps getting stuck at one side and I can’t manoevre it out. The tab is pushed right back.

It keeps getting stuck at one side and I can’t manoevre it out. The tab is pushed right back.
Ah ok.
With the tab pulled back raise the right side up first then pull the card out in a left to right fashion.
Does that work?

Right, got the card out. HDMI is now working! I have a display. :)

What does this mean about my card?
In laymens terms it means your card has likely to have given up (reason is unknown)
Usually they give you a warning e.g pixelated screen etc.
So no display is a bit of a strange one.

Alas though at least you are up and running again!

Deleted original post as answered/sorted by the OP

@stupar great that you explained it for Ravinder and that it married up to one of my suggestions ;)

As for the card that you have removed it is likely now scrap. But unless you are intending to do gaming I would just stick with the onboard graphics unless you find it wanting in any way...............for photo editing it should be fine.

I am pleased you managed to get it back up and running AOK :)

Last edited:
I’ve managed to remove the card. I hope the card isn’t goosed...

I’ve managed to remove the card. I hope the card isn’t goosed...

If you mean goosed as in damaged by you for re-using......................it clearly was the source of the problem so what is the 'problem' now? It has no output so has gone wrong and in the main such things are not economically repairable and the website says it is 'end of life' i.e. no longer made or supported!

I’m glad you got it up and running, it does look like the card may be faulty by the sounds of it though. One way to be 100% is try the card in another machine but if you haven’t got one to hand then you’re stuck there.

If you don’t mind me asking, you mentioned getting it last year but how old is it? And how much did it cost you? Even if it’s outside of its warranty, if it was expensive then you could argue that it should last longer than it has. My Dad managed to do that successfully with a TV that went faulty after 14 months :) He’d quoted The Sales of Goods Act about not being fit for purpose and got an exchange, I believe the Sales of Goods Act has now been changed to the Consumer Rights Act which will cover you since the purchase was after 2015 :)

It was bought it February 2016 and it fish £410 if I remember correctly. If it is damaged I will be devastated. It should last not then a year and a half. I only use my PC like once a week but the last few weeks I’ve used it a bit more due to photo editing and I can’t believe this has now happened. :(

I would complain to both the company you bought it from, and the manufacturer and see if they offer a replacement for that money.

Thanks. A friend of mine will be looking at it for me tomorrow to confirm. He’s quite good with these things. But too right I’ll be kicking up a fuss. A 400 quid memory card should be lasting a lot longer !

Thanks. A friend of mine will be looking at it for me tomorrow to confirm. He’s quite good with these things. But too right I’ll be kicking up a fuss. A 400 quid memory card should be lasting a lot longer !

IMO the only confirmation your friend should do is try it in another PC, if he tampers with it (there may be "void/do not remove" seal on it or other tamper evident such as paint on the screws holding up t together. If whoever you send it to making a claim that it is faulty sees such tampering they will reject your claim!

Again were I you I would write to the manufacturer telling them of the problem but a claim is only for making against the company you bought the PC from!

Long shot but it might be the psu that is faulty as it might not have been able to provide enough power to the graphics card

OK - my friend had a look at it today. He removed my graphics card and fitted his into mine and it worked which would suggest the ports and the board seem fine. He then plugged my graphics card into his computer and the problem was present so finger points to the card being faulty.

I got in contact with the retailer I bought it from and they told me to contact EVGA, the manufacturer of the card. I spoke to EVGA earlier and they have agreed to look at the card and see if they can resolve it. It appears that there is a 3 year warranty on the card. I’m half way in it so I hope they can replace this without charge.

In the meantime however, my HDMI connection from the integrated graphics port to my monitor has stopped working again. Is this to do with the BIOS? So, I stil,have no display. :(

You haven't left your old graphics card in there have you?

If not re-boot your system (turn it off and then on again) and see if that helps

OK - my friend had a look at it today. He removed my graphics card and fitted his into mine and it worked which would suggest the ports and the board seem fine. He then plugged my graphics card into his computer and the problem was present so finger points to the card being faulty.

I got in contact with the retailer I bought it from and they told me to contact EVGA, the manufacturer of the card. I spoke to EVGA earlier and they have agreed to look at the card and see if they can resolve it. It appears that there is a 3 year warranty on the card. I’m half way in it so I hope they can replace this without charge.

In the meantime however, my HDMI connection from the integrated graphics port to my monitor has stopped working again. Is this to do with the BIOS? So, I stil,have no display. :(

Have you told the monitor to use the HDMI connection as default, it is probably still trying to use the display port-at least that's what happened with my Dell-the default was display port

The old graphics card has been removed so the computer just has the on board one.

I’ve turned it on and off a few times and it’s not working. I think the bios has defaulted Back to the graphics card setting. I’m going to buy a cheap £30 card tomorrow just to keep me going for the time being. I think once I install that, it should work fine again...

I’ve changed the monitor or HDMI, yes, but not picking anything up.

Yes, I see that your friend did the elimination test proving that the graphics card has a fault.

But I am confused, you say he removed your card from your PC but I thought you had removed it to use the on-board graphics HDMI port.

Are you saying that now the on-board did work but now doesn't? Where is your faulty graphics card......back in the PC or safely stored away?

What if anything might you or your friend have done to affect the on-board graphics???

PS sorry slow to post and see you have answered most of what I asked.

PPS AFAIK in the main the BIOS should detect the absence of a separate graphics card and always default to the on-board source!

So silly question, are you using a known to good HDMI cable?

Last edited:
Your monitor as I read it has 2 HDMI ports, try the other port and see what happens???

Edit ~ I downloaded the manual and the 2 HDMI ports are not equal and rely on different grades of cable and have different max resolutions

Looking at pages 18 it talks of the difference and on page 20 about using the monitor on screen settings to select HDMI 1 or HDMI 2

I strongly suggest you check the different ports but make sure you have selected the appropriate HDMI port number via the OSD settings!

Last edited:
At first, when I removed the graphics card myself, it appears the BIOS defaulted to the on board graphics as when I plugged the HDMI cable, it worked. But, when my friend fitted the graphics card again and removed it, it’s not worked since so somehow I think the bios has switched back to the graphisca card as oppose to the on board one. The HDMI cable is fine and is a good one and works fine on my TV. I’ve tried both HDMI ports too and have selected the relevant outputs on the monitor, too. I will buy a graphisca card later today and install that and see how I get on.

You will need to boot into BIOS and under the peripherals tab check and change the graphics adaptor setting.

This is assuming you can see the BIOS on the screen.

If the no monitor signal means you cant get into the BIOS you could try a BIOS reset.

To do a reset do the following.
Unplug PC from mains supply
Remove CMOS battery from motherboard
Wait 5-10 mins
Re-insert CMOS battery
Plug PC back in
Start PC and enter BIOS
Reset date and time
You should be good to go with a signal to your monitor.

The reset should put the motherboard bqck to factory settings which in most cases would be the on board graphics enabled.

A tip here - if it's a real emergency to get access to your data and for whatever reason you can't get your computer working....

Do you have a laptop, you could just pull the HDD out of the computer, put it in a USB enclosure and you can then access your data on a laptop.

Then once the emergency is over you pop the drive back in the computer and fix it at your leisure.

Also, have a real-time backup is a good idea for critical data, so maybe use an external USB drive to backup to or an online backup system maybe.

Thank you for the advise. Unfortunately, I don’t have a laptop. I’ve just reserved a cheap graphics card online so will be picking it up shortly.

When you get your interim card, once installed be sure to clear out the drivers pertaining to your old card as they may cause a conflict when you try to set up the new card.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so got a cheap card yesterday from PC World and plugged it in and it worked straight away via an HDMI cable so it means I can finish my editing so I’m happy about that. EVGA have asked for me to return the faulty graphics card so that’s good news. I just hope that they replace it without any issues. :)

EVGA has an excellent reputation for support so you should expect to have it replaced without problems.

Hi guys

Something doesn’t appear to be right...

So, I installed the graphics card that I bought from PC World a few days ago. All seemed OK. Last couple of days however, my computer seems to stutter. So, when I’m moving the cursor around it’s stuttery or when making adjustments in lightroom using the sliders, there seems to be a delay. A couple of times yesterday, the screen went off then came back in again after a few seconds. This morning I went to turn on the PC and again, no display....this is with the replacement graphics card. I’m not sure what’s going on here...can anyone advise? Many thanks.

Did you clean out call the drivers from the old graphics card before installing the new card drivers?

No. I just plugged it in and away I went.

Hmmm!

Just what make and model number of new card is it? If still an nVidia based card then AFAIK if your driver's were up to date then in principal you should have ok because of the way the nVidia driver set works, covering a full range of its chipsets. Though the best wisdom is to do a remove and install of the new card drivers.

If not an nVidia based one then Windows will be using default drivers and the presence of the old driver could be causing a conflict?

Last edited:
As above the rule of thumb with GPU upgrades/changes is to completely uninstall all previous drivers and then install the new ones to avoid a conflict.

I will hazard a guess that this is your issue.

As above the rule of thumb with GPU upgrades/changes is to completely uninstall all previous drivers and then install the new ones to avoid a conflict.

I will hazard a guess that this is your issue.

Yes :) though FWIW a good while back I was having issues with my card and I could not pin the issue down.....so bought a more simple basic (but more than adequate for my needs) card and both were nVidia with up to nVidia driver and all has been sweetness & light ;). NB the was with nVidia own drivers not the card makers modified version.

Yes :) though FWIW a good while back I was having issues with my card and I could not pin the issue down.....so bought a more simple basic (but more than adequate for my needs) card and both were nVidia with up to nVidia driver and all has been sweetness & light ;). NB the was with nVidia own drivers not the card makers modified version.

The only reason i would suggest a complete driver wipe and re install would be going from a 900 series card to a 1000 series card for example as nvidia ask for the model range so there must be a minor variation in the way the drivers communicate between card and systen.

Back