no display on monitor

Thanks. The damaged card removed is the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB superclocked ACX and the card that I’ve just fitted for the time being is EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB. So, would it still need drivers uninstalled and installed again? The thing is it worked fine on the first day I fitted the card but obviously since then has gone belly up.

Thanks. The damaged card removed is the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB superclocked ACX and the card that I’ve just fitted for the time being is EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB. So, would it still need drivers uninstalled and installed again? The thing is it worked fine on the first day I fitted the card but obviously since then has gone belly up.

I would yes. As mentioned above you have gone from a 9 series card to a 7 series card so drivers will be slightly different.

Im sure i mentioned further up in the thread to do a wipe and clean install of drivers ;)

Ok, thanks. I’ll do this ASAP and report back. Oh, wait. How do I do this with no display?

Back to square 1.

Remove graphics card
Hook up onboard graphics
(Hope and prey you get a signal on the monitor)
Uninstall all GPU drivers using your method of choice

Thank you. Will give this a go and report back. I bloody hate computers.

So, a friend of mine had a look at my computer this morning as he offered since I’m clueless with these things. He was trying different things as process of elimination. He, too couldn’t get the monitor to display even with the on board graphics card which he said it should do with graphics card removed. He resented the bios by removing the small battery and placing it back in later, other things that concern him is that the SSD drive makes a noise like it’s tryingto load. Also, the fan inside doesn’t spin. Spins briefly on start up and that’s it. Outside fan works fine. He also disconnected other things so he had only the motherboard and fans running in case there wasn’t enough okwer getting to the other components, still the monitor didn’t come on. He took my new graphics card out that I bought for, PC World last week and fitted it to his computer and it worked fine so at least the new graphics card isn’t blown by the looks of it. His gut tells him it may be the power supply that’s the issue but he wants to get into the bios to check the read8ngs but can only do this if we have a display. He doesn’t think it’s driver related, although he accepts it should be uninstalled and reinstalled to be sure. But, still no display....

Get a decent new PSU. You really aren't going to make any progress until you eliminate this as the potential source of the problem.

I thought pxu about umpteen posts ago

Sounds like the PSU is causing issues with the cooling, this will knock out any GPU when the temperatures get too high. It would explain why it gets worse the more you use it. I would make sure your fan is clean and all the heatsinks still have thermal contact grease on them.

Back