no display on monitor

Name
Ravinder Bindra
Edit My Images
Yes
Can someone please help as I have wedding pictures to edit for two clients and I’m now stuck...

A few days ago, I went to turn on my PC and I can’t see anything on the monitor at all. The monitor is on as the blue light in the corner is displayed.

It’s connected via a DisplayPort cable which has always been the case and worked fine.

But, now I can’t see anything. I think the monitor is working as I can select the different options using the buttons on the monitor and that displays fine but no display from my PC. I have ordered a replacement DisplayPort cable just in case but that will take a few days yet before it arrives. In the time being, o thought I may be able to use an HDMI cable but that too isn’t making any difference. So, now I’m not sure if the issue lies with the DisplayPort cable or something else...?

Another reason I thought it may be the cable is that a handful of times in the past, sometimes the monitor won’t display and a wriggle of the cable and it will come back on. I just hope that’s all it is...

Many thanks.

Does the PC have an HDMI port and hence can you connect it to your TV

Is the PC powering up? (As far as you can tell with no monitor.)

Is the PC powering up? (As far as you can tell with no monitor.)

I was thinking the same, has the PC booted properly with the POST beep? Cannot remember but I think with all(?) BIOS POST beeps there is one sequence that identifies video/video card error???

PC is powering up fine, yes. Well, seems to be anyway.

It does have two HDMI ports too. I disconnected the DisplayPort cable and put an HDMI cable in but still nothing. :(

Are your graphics outputs on your motherboard or are they a dedicated card?

I don’t have another monitor. I’ll wait for my replacement cable just in case it is that and take it from there
It’s worked so well since I had my computer built beginning of last year. Why do things go wrong during these important times?! I’m stressing about the pictures that I need to edit.

Do you not have on board graphics that you can plug into and try?

If you and it works then you have a dodgy graphics card.

Also you should check the graphics card is seated properly, take it out and re-seat it.

Thanks. I’m not sure if I have an on board one. I don’t know a lot about computers. I think it’s a good graphics card I have.
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB superclocked ACX 2.0.

I don’t have another monitor. I’ll wait for my replacement cable just in case it is that and take it from there
It’s worked so well since I had my computer built beginning of last year. Why do things go wrong during these important times?! I’m stressing about the pictures that I need to edit.
Since you asked the question, if your computer is essential you need to have backup system. Could be a TV set for a monitor or even an iPad etc.

Thanks. I’m not sure if I have an on board one. I don’t know a lot about computers. I think it’s a good graphics card I have.

Look at the back of your computer at the main IO shield, do you see any connections like you have on your graphics card like HDMI/DVI/VGA?

Looks like a good card for games and as such way over spec for photo editing.

If the cable swap does not cure it my 2p's worth is as suggested above do a removal & reseat of the card. If that does not help then ideally try the monitor attached to a laptop if you can borrow one (on surmise that you can use appropriate ports) that will at least confirm if you have a failed graphics card?

A more simple lower spec card can be bought for approx £20 to £40

PS what make and model number is the monitor???

Last edited:
Look at the back of your computer at the main IO shield, do you see any connections like you have on your graphics card like HDMI/DVI/VGA?
Looks like a good card for games and as such way over spec for photo editing.

If the cable swap does not cure it my 2p's worth is as suggested above do a removal & reseat of the card. If that does not help then ideally try the monitor attached to a laptop if you can borrow one (on surmise that you can use appropriate ports) that will at least confirm if you have a failed graphics card?

A more simple lower spec card can be bought for approx £20 to £40

PS what make and model number is the monitor???

Thanks. The monitor that I have is this one below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WUACEKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, I have these ports. The display port cable was attached to one of these and the other end to the monitor. This is the cable to be faulty so a new one has been ordered but not arrived yet.

Yes, I have these ports. The display port cable was attached to one of these and the other end to the monitor. This is the cable to be faulty so a new one has been ordered but not arrived yet.

What Keith W means is do you have second set of these connctions, or a normal VGA, next to the USB slots on the back of the tower, not the ones on your graphics card.

I think Keith was asking if you have any additional graphics connections to your dedicated card. Some motherboards come with connections too, if you do have them you should be able to remove your graphics card and plug your monitor into the onboard connection instead and test from there. If it works, then your dedicated card is faulty, if it doesn’t then there is a separate issue. This is all reliant on if your motherboard has the connections for your monitor however. If you can take a photograph of the back of your computer and upload it here we may be able to guide you further.

If you’re really struggling then I would suggest visiting a computer shop for some guidance, if speed is key then that may be the fastest way to get up and running again :) It may end up costing you more but at least you’ll only be buying the required parts instead of guessing, and you’ll no longer have the stress of falling behind on editing which has to be worth paying for :)

Ok, here are some pics. Hope that helps as I’m confused. I’ve open the case but no idea what I’m doing...

Ok, here are some pics. Hope that helps as I’m confused. I’ve open the case but no idea what I’m doing...

Right, the last picture shows that the motherboard has on-board DVI and HDMI, they are both labeled in red print. This means you should be able to plug your screen into that onboard HDMI

You may find just plugging in the screen will mean on bootup it will 'find' the screen and bypass the installed graphics card and get you up and running!

Last edited:
I’ve plugged an HDMI cable at the top, the one in red print and the other end to the monitor but I still don’t get anything...

I’ve plugged an HDMI cable at the top, the one in red print and the other end to the monitor but I still don’t get anything...

Hmmm! well subject to those more tech savvy than me to suggest how & whether my suggestion will/should work I think the only empirical test is to try the monitor on another known to work system.....to confirm whether or not the monitor is functioning.

Incidentally, I think I read that the monitor has more than one port so have you tried both? NB you did say that it was the DP cable that you thought was bad......so is the HDMI cable you have been trying known to be a good one?

The HDMI cable is working as far as I’m aware as I took it from my tv and Apple TV connection and that works fine. I just tried another monitor from mums PC and same issue. No display on that either. I’m certain it’s not the monitor that’s the issue.

The HDMI cable is working as far as I’m aware as I took it from my tv and Apple TV connection and that works fine. I just tried another monitor from mums PC and same issue. No display on that either. I’m certain it’s not the monitor that’s the issue.

Can you try your monitor on your mum's PC just confirm it is aok? I would hope that will eliminate the monitor as being a problem once and for all, as not impossible (though unlikely?) for there to be two faults at the same time!

Next rather than struggle, get in touch with a local PC repair place to get it sorted (unless anyone here at TP can advise a course of action to get the PC to default to that onboard graphics port.........it may be as simple as removing the graphics card to force the BIOS to use that port!)

FWIW as I am happy in building and handling electronic parts that is what I would do but though it is simple if you are unsure or unfamiliar with the methodology the choice is yours???

Last edited:
Yes, the menus appear to work when I press the little buttons on the monitor. That’s what leads me to believe the monitor is fine.

does the menu on the monitor work? normally a monitor will have an on screen menu that will work regardless of whether it has any input from a pc.

He mentioned the OSD a while ago as shown as showing a the settings menu but IMO that does not prove that the input ports are working. I.e. that it will receive signals..........oh it just occurred to me that there is likely a "source" section in that menu, worth checking it's setting and whether that allows for changes that might just help???

Yes, the menus appear to work when I press the little buttons on the monitor. That’s what leads me to believe the monitor is fine.

All that proves is that display panel is functioning not that the input signals are being received. A bit like a car, you can start the engine but if the clutch has failed it will not let you put it in gear ;)

PS when you mentioned, wobbling the cable and it worked sometimes....which end were you doing that to, the PC or monitor end. Cables can fail if mid treated by tight bends & strains or crushing but so can the connection ports by mistreatment???

Last edited:
I pressed the option button on the monitor to change the source from DisplayPort to HDMI when I was trying to get it to work via HDMI cable but nothing happened, even after restarting the PC a few times.

Im pretty sure you cant have on board graphics and a seperate graphics enabled together so the onboard might not work as long as the BIOS is recognising the GTX 980 as the main GPU.

Unplug the graphics card from the motherboard (this might force the bios to default to onboard)
Then try the HDMI cable from the motherboard I/O and see if that works

If not then i would try and boot into the PCs BIOS and see if you can see what it is showing for the dispay adaptor

Thank you but this sounds too complicated for me. I’m afraid I’ll break something when trying to remove the graphics cards...

Thank you but this sounds too complicated for me. I’m afraid I’ll break something when trying to remove the graphics cards...

Its very easy.
There will be two screws holding the card to the PC case. Undo this first then Underneath the card itself is the PCI slot that it sits in. At the right side underneath is a little tab that you pull back, this will allow you to gently pull the graphics card up and out of the slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggested you try your monitor on your mum's PC have you done that yet?

Giving advice where full elimination tests are not done makes further advice difficult and as you are tech challenged eliminating all causes bar one is important for when you take the PC to a repair shop!!!

I’ve tried another monitor, yes but same outcome.

OK, I will give it a go at removing the graphics card...

I’ve tried another monitor, yes but same outcome.

OK, I will give it a go at removing the graphics card...

Cool.
Just take your time.
The screws holding the card to the case should be black thumb screws so no need for a screwdriver.
Undo them then gently feel under neathe the card (right side as your looking)for the little tab. Pull it back then pull the card up.

I’m in the middle of it. I’ve removed the screws but struggling to see the tabs.

Back