Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

yes off course I hadn't thought about badger cubs cor that would be nice. !!

Watch him mate although he's so laid back , he might be different with a cub in your prescence . I filmed a fox strike, think it was a mouse she struck at, it made me think about what I do . She was so fast I barely moved my hands. it was over .To my credit I read the situation I knew she had suddenly focused on something and maybe something was about to happen But simply she was so quick even with me being ready I still barely moved.

I don't think they would strike at us Roger, but its worth just popping up a note of caution as what I saw that night made me very aware I couldn't get out of her way or even defend my self as she would be on me before I could possibly react., I think little things like this again are worthy of sharing as none of us really knows what might happen next. To ,me these little things keep us sharp and aware of our subjects and what their body language is telling us

As I say mate the chance of that ever happening I think is utterly miniscule, But urban or rural they are still an apex hunter plus any animal can be unpredictable when they have little ones about. .

take care buddy

I agree Stu, the chances of a fox attack on a human are vanishingly small. Like almost any animal in the UK I think foxes will avoid confrontation.

There are exceptions. I would be very wary around stags during the rut, injured animals, animals that have become too used to people, and any with young. I can imagine if a fox cub approached a person with the parent fox around then it might become difficult.

I can understand your comment about the speed. Years ago in a local park I saw a fox emerge(emerge doesn't do justice just how quickly it covered the ground) from under a tree and grab a crow. I was surprised that it could get the drop on a bird that is no slouch in being aware of what is going on.

Dave

Both of the Badgers back again last night, the sow seems to be more active out and about then ... hopefully see some cubs soon. :)

Another excellent video, Gramps. It would be great if cubs visited your garden too.

Always good to see more than one badger to try and get view on the differences between males and females. I find it impossible to be sure which is which from the markings alone and having read, 'Badgers' by Michael Clark it seems even experts can have the same problem.

Dave

Another excellent video, Gramps. It would be great if cubs visited your garden too.

Always good to see more than one badger to try and get view on the differences between males and females. I find it impossible to be sure which is which from the markings alone and having read, 'Badgers' by Michael Clark it seems even experts can have the same problem.

Dave
Thanks Dave, the Browning really does work well and thanks to @Mr Badger for highlighting it.
I too wondered about which was which, I pondered about head shape but from this video that theory was scotched and other than the currently obvious underbelly of the female I wouldn't have a clue.
Keeping fingers crossed for a view of cubs. :)

I’ve wondered if another badger might show, Roger.When you say ‘they were back again last night’..I haven’t seen the previous video with two badgers and have just gone back checking.Must have missed it.

Anyway, whichever ones turn up tonight will get soaked In the early hours.

I’ve wondered if another badger might show, Roger.When you say ‘they were back again last night’..I haven’t seen the previous video with two badgers and have just gone back checking.Must have missed it.

I first saw a 2nd very briefly in the shadows when I had the camera at the very back, just saw eyes and a stripe really but then last Friday I posted here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...rely-we-have-cubs.709572/page-13#post-8742390

Yes it does look as though we are due some rain, was hoping to get out on the bike tomorrow but will have to see if it just passes over during the night.

I first saw a 2nd very briefly in the shadows when I had the camera at the very back, just saw eyes and a stripe really but then last Friday I posted here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...rely-we-have-cubs.709572/page-13#post-8742390

Yes it does look as though we are due some rain, was hoping to get out on the bike tomorrow but will have to see if it just passes over during the night.

Mmmmm. Well, I put a ‘like’ under the foxes video. I wonder if the badgers clip was condensed/concertinaed ? Never mind,I’ll just keep taking the tablets... :)

I am now noticing a change with the activity of the Foxes, the adults are visiting much less frequently than before ... the male visits briefly in the evening, if at all, the female briefly during the middle of the night or early morning to pick up a bit of food.
The majority of the activity comes from the youngest (smallest) cub, who visits regularly through the night and scoffs most of the food unless the Badger(s) visit. Some of the other cubs visit now and again but do not necessarily stay for very long, I wonder if the adults are moving back to their solitary territory (I assume they do that outside of the breeding season) and are basically now starting to leave the cubs to their own devices, meeting occasionally on the 'communal path' which passes through our back garden? :thinking:

Didn't seem to deter her though John! :LOL:

This record and your notes on the behaviours as they progress are just fascinating mate . I am still unsure on mine whether their are two cubs now or three, not seeing a dog fox ever I can't run paralell observations to your lot. I do think the smallest cub also comes here the most often like yours though. Roger i'm as sure as I can be one cub is aboy. We've always noted that this dark cub seems really affectionate and tight with his mum. the smaller does greet her, but the little lad seems obsessed, he's already trying to mount her,well I think that's what he's up too, he loves putting his feet on her back. What's really grabbed me is how he is almost always with her if not with her he isn't far away.

Buddy do you see that, one cub seeming to have a much tighter,more "affectionate" relation ship with mum...or dad for that matter? I'm curious if what i see is linked to the sex of the cub you might have some detail to share. I think yours are slightly older than mine so this might have changed for you right now , but you might have some thoughts

Lol yup that rain came, got a few 'alf drowned fox images last night I have to say it was nice being inside for that shoot !!

This record and your notes on the behaviours as they progress are just fascinating mate . I am still unsure on mine whether their are two cubs now or three, not seeing a dog fox ever I can't run paralell observations to your lot. I do think the smallest cub also comes here the most often like yours though. Roger i'm as sure as I can be one cub is aboy. We've always noted that this dark cub seems really affectionate and tight with his mum. the smaller does greet her, but the little lad seems obsessed, he's already trying to mount her,well I think that's what he's up too, he loves putting his feet on her back. What's really grabbed me is how he is almost always with her if not with her he isn't far away.

Buddy do you see that, one cub seeming to have a much tighter,more "affectionate" relation ship with mum...or dad for that matter? I'm curious if what i see is linked to the sex of the cub you might have some detail to share. I think yours are slightly older than mine so this might have changed for you right now , but you might have some thoughts

Lol yup that rain came, got a few 'alf drowned fox images last night I have to say it was nice being inside for that shoot !!

Stu I have only seen one male cub during the entire time and I think that was a cub from another brood, from memory there were about six cubs in the garden and I think my pair have only had four and all Vixens.
As for closeness to one or the other I don't think so ... I have only seen an affinity for a possible food gift so cubs approaching either adult for food and more recently any cub getting a rebuff from either adult if they arre nearby.
There is certainly a tendency to use the front paws in interactions with one another, especially in play and sibling scuffles, maybe that is what you are seeing, maybe not.

Ahh ok yours being all girls I'd imagine you wouldn't see this. It looks very much like there is a sex connetation to his behaviour roger, although obviously too young yet the older he gets the more evident that side is becomming. He's always with her buddy , always close always affectionate, Like he was the mummy's boy almost, it's been like that from the beginning, but as I watch them more and more it's being driven home how different his relationship is to mum than the other cub that I believe is a female . I just thought he liked mum, it never entered my head that that he was male or their might, be a possible difference in how the sex of the cub might interplay with the adult. I think they are so bright we are dealing with indiidual animals,ie they have their own personality, and that was what I was seeing in the cubs, but it seems it might just be something else. Just pondering mate as I so often do. The little one you have seen so far in the pics ( cheers for the help ) is a little lass I think. I thought she had slightly distanced herself from mum because the bigger cubs were out competing her,so coming here the most often was her way of getting that bit more grub . But now it seems like there is more to it than I oriinally thought. I might be utterly wrong in this mate, If i'm right with all female cubs you wouldn't see this Yes I see the front paw interactions this is something different least ways I think?

Interesting mate, thanks for the above

Ahh ok yours being all girls I'd imagine you wouldn't see this. It looks very much like there is a sex connetation to his behaviour roger, although obviously too young yet the older he gets the more evident that side is becomming. He's always with her buddy , always close always affectionate, Like he was the mummy's boy almost, it's been like that from the beginning, but as I watch them more and more it's being driven home how different his relationship is to mum than the other cub that I believe is a female . I just thought he liked mum, it never entered my head that that he was male or their might, be a possible difference in how the sex of the cub might interplay with the adult. I think they are so bright we are dealing with indiidual animals,ie they have their own personality, and that was what I was seeing in the cubs, but it seems it might just be something else. Just pondering mate as I so often do. The little one you have seen so far in the pics ( cheers for the help ) is a little lass I think. I thought she had slightly distanced herself from mum because the bigger cubs were out competing her,so coming here the most often was her way of getting that bit more grub . But now it seems like there is more to it than I oriinally thought. I might be utterly wrong in this mate, If i'm right with all female cubs you wouldn't see this Yes I see the front paw interactions this is something different least ways I think?

Interesting mate, thanks for the above

A rarer sign of affection (?) from one of the cubs to dad ... I say 'affection; as he clearly has no food or anything else to offer here so it's not the usual begging.

I think????? what i'm seeing if different buddy. Little lad is all over his mum. a bit like that end bit in the video .But really often and more prolonged more intense? coupled in with him putting he front legs over her back vent sniffing. It's almost like she has come into season. To the best of my knowledge foxes court aroud january time and only come into season then If they were dogs and he wasn't young, that would be my guess .As I say mate just an observation that made me curious.It's a shame, If you had a boy in your cubs we might have learnt more, I'm sure what I'm seeing is linked to him being male.

I was too shattered to do the whole night, but mum seems to be pretty regular around midnight so as I couldn't sleep set up and she arrived pretty much on cue, mins later he was with her. and again all the greeting etc. He also feeds right by her all but face to face where as the other seems much more snappy,you know how they grab food and take it away to eat, she does that and will snap at mum,whereas he seems utterly different

Nice vid I love how they came bounding in one after the other:cool:

Fella is too well fed, lazy sod barely tried :LOL: I guess pigeon is just too much like hard work. ahh the life of an urban fox:D If the fox had of really tried that would have made for some fantastic footage mate,I don't particularly want to see it catch, but a proper stalk would have been incredible to watch !!

Buddy I'm clattered not remembering stuff how has the apeman worked out? No need for great detail mate especially if it's all above, just hoping for good news tis all:)

Fella is too well fed, lazy sod barely tried :LOL: I guess pigeon is just too much like hard work. ahh the life of an urban fox:D If the fox had of really tried that would have made for some fantastic footage mate,I don't particularly want to see it catch, but a proper stalk would have been incredible to watch !!

Buddy I'm clattered not remembering stuff how has the apeman worked out? No need for great detail mate especially if it's all above, just hoping for good news tis all:)

It's a 'she' Stu ... clues in the title :LOL:
I initially thought that she saw the bird as she came down the path but now I'm not sure if it was actually only as she passed the bush at the end of the wall.
I moved the Apeman on ... having used the Browning it just didn't compare, as expected really with the Browning being over twice the price. It was better than earlier ones with the 'torchlight' IR beam because it didn't cause 'white-out' of anything near but it didn't match the Browning for positivity and clarity.

I know, my bad......................my clue was me last line, what day is it mate? :LOL: :LOL: ahh buddy we have a crack and learn a bit, but I'll never been the sharpest tool in the box, kinda funny though:D

I can see that Roger, it would be very difficult for me to go backwards, as it were, The browning does make some lovely footage.

Early evening visit from two of the cubs - played 'find the biscuit' amongst the drystone wall. :)

Good idea, Roger. Also gives a different viewing experience.

I noticed that the first one there was alerted to the second one arriving from the shrubs quite a few seconds before the second one showed itself exiting the gap..the first one must have heard it coming.

Good idea, Roger. Also gives a different viewing experience.

I noticed that the first one there was alerted to the second one arriving from the shrubs quite a few seconds before the second one showed itself exiting the gap..the first one must have heard it coming.

Thanks John, yes they are now used to finding food in the wall. :)
I have noticed them sensing the arrival of others, including the Badgers ... I assume sensing by acute hearing.

A little bit of late evening activity from a couple of days ago when the dog Fox decided to play around with a cooking apple that had fallen off one of our apple trees.

Fox at play
by Roger, on Flickr

RJB_0966.jpg

small_0926.jpg

and how I got them (excuse the shorts) :eek: ... the trailcam comes on at 8pm so had been active for about an hour.

Roger just for the crack i'm going to move an apple ok a couple or three, the minute I finish writing this They are , windfall, from the back garden to the front. i'm curious

Mate:rolleyes:, the film maker cut the tog's head off,, you should have a word with him ;) :LOL:

Roger just for the crack i'm going to move an apple ok a couple or three, the minute I finish writing this They are , windfall, from the back garden to the front. i'm curious

Mate:rolleyes:, the film maker cut the tog's head off,, you should have a word with him ;) :LOL:
Just showing my best side Stu! :LOL:

So a couple of nights ago the Badger succeeded in trashing the feeding tray so I decided to get a couple of cheap stainless steel dog bowls from Amazon. Stable and virtually indestructable they seemed to be ideal for the job, however I didn't count on the natural suspicion of the visiting animals!

The normally greedy Badger was having none of it!

The Fox cub took all night to come to terms with the bowl!

The Vixen surprised me most, originally the most cautious of all, she did quite quickly accept the offerings.
(see next post due to media limit!)

@Stuart Philpott Not just you with nervous visitors! :LOL:

Roger i'd sort of expect this, early on I left our little recycle bin by the front door, by mistake forgot to bring it in. The reaction to it was incredible, they would barely enter the garden.

Buddy I don't really understand how they see,I suspect it's very different to us, i've made a few images where mum seems to be looking straight at camera, well the lens, past the lights. She will stare into the lights with wide open pupils, then stare at the lens and shut them down,you can see it in the images, it seems counter intuitive,like she is controlling this not the light levels. When she looks into a darker place her pupils should logically dilate?? Shaz mentioned something while we watched your videos, she said maybe the reflective surface is also at play,ie just maybe they can see into the IR zone,if they could????? then that might help explain the level behaviour?

As I say half expected,they don't care for change and are very wary . We are dealing with intelligence Roger no idea on how one might qualify that ,but it's there. :)

Roger i'd sort of expect this, early on I left our little recycle bin by the front door, by mistake forgot to bring it in. The reaction to it was incredible, they would barely enter the garden.

Buddy I don't really understand how they see,I suspect it's very different to us, i've made a few images where mum seems to be looking straight at camera, well the lens, past the lights. She will stare into the lights with wide open pupils, then stare at the lens and shut them down,you can see it in the images, it seems counter intuitive,like she is controlling this not the light levels. When she looks into a darker place her pupils should logically dilate?? Shaz mentioned something while we watched your videos, she said maybe the reflective surface is also at play,ie just maybe they can see into the IR zone,if they could????? then that might help explain the level behaviour?

As I say half expected,they don't care for change and are very wary . We are dealing with intelligence Roger no idea on how one might qualify that ,but it's there. :)
Maybe impossible to tell if they are listening or looking since anything the ‘see’ will likely cause them to ‘engage their ears‘ in the same direction.

Stu, at first it crossed my mind that it was maybe surprise at their own reflection in the shiny new stainless steel but it isn't that, it's definitely, "aye-up what's this then?" :) They were happy to take the bits of the same food from the wall, as shown with the Badger and both the cub and Vixen also did, (though not shown in these videos). :)

So we've bought you a new bowl ... what do you think?

and 'Happy Families'!

Last edited:
So we've bought you a new bowl ... what do you think?

and 'Happy Families'!

Yes those bowls you can’t tip up are a good idea ... but not for Corvids apparently :).

The dog Fox regularly visits during daylight hours but the more wary cubs until recently never did, however there have been a number of occasions where one of the cubs has come into the garden early evening. I have ordered a new pop-up hide and am hoping to be able to get some daytime photos of a cub from it. :)

Back