Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Pop up hide is a bit contradictory :).

Pop up hide is a bit contradictory :).

Richard..I have to be careful with the 'like' plus the emojo like the one you've added.. I accidently clicked on the one with two hearts over the eyes not too .long ago and there was no unlike..lol. Must have been a bit tired. I couldn't get rid of it. Apologies to whoever got that.:D

Last edited:
I accidently clicked on the one with two hearts over the eyes not too .long ago and there was no unlike..lol. Must have been a bit tired. I couldn't get rid of it.

Edit and then backspace. :)

Well last night belonged to the Badgers, but I am not absolutley sure which ones, these did not strike me as being the original pair ... was there an adult and a youngster, two youngsters, or are my eyes just deceiving me.
Definitely different behaviour in these videos ... in the first a bit of almost one-side play that I have not seen before and in the 2nd a response to the Fox cub that was quite different too.

A bit of one-sided play.

A different relationship.

Well last night belonged to the Badgers, but I am not absolutley sure which ones, these did not strike me as being the original pair ... was there an adult and a youngster, two youngsters, or are my eyes just deceiving me.
Definitely different behaviour in these videos ... in the first a bit of almost one-side play that I have not seen before and in the 2nd a response to the Fox cub that was quite different too.

A bit of one-sided play.

A different relationship.

Very impressed with the fox cub getting badger off the food and continuing to harass it despite badger being more aggressive than previously seen :).

Very impressed with the fox cub getting badger off the food and continuing to harass it despite badger being more aggressive than previously seen :).

I feel sure it's a different Badger. :thinking:

The young Badger is a bit bouncy isn't it. :)

Yes. it is. It really made me laugh. :)

Biting the backside seems to be what happens in situatiions like this. Sometimes a squirrel will come into the garden in the morning..7.30-ish and eat the seed/crunched up fat balls I put out at that time and I've seen magpies hopping up behind it and beaking it's tail/rear end. On one occasion I saw three taking it in turns. The squirrel turned on them each time but wasn't deterred. As with your clips,Roger... All very entertaining :)

Well last night we had the proof and possibly the best footage of garden activity so far ...

Four months ago we knew that we had a pair of Foxes and a pair of Badgers visiting our city back garden, they all enter through a small copse and a hole in the link fencing at the very back of our garden, (the hole probably made by the Badgers).
It soon became clear that the females of both species were feeding young and we were hoping to see youngsters come into the garden at some stage. We have been having Fox cubs visit now for several weeks but last night was the first proof that we have of a Badger cub (though we suspect it came with the adult male a couple of nights ago).
Here we see, not only the proof that we have at least one Badger cub but also footage of the interaction between the Badger family and two of the Fox cubs.

To say that I am delighted is an understatement. :D

Very interesting footage of the interactions!

You can see the adult badger scent marking the cub at 2:58, and a couple more times after that. I think the fox cubs had met their match there with those three badgers too!

You can see the adult badger scent marking the cub at 2:58, and a couple more times after that. I think the fox cubs had met their match there with those three badgers too!

Yes, I first learnt about mutual scent-marking on an episode of Springwatch or similar, very much part of the social activity apparently.
Fox cubs were certainly kept moving! :LOL:

I can imagine you are delighted by that last video Gramps. A great record of the visitors and behaviour.

This 10 second clip is what happened in our garden around 5am today.

https://youtu.be/Jd5aLGukuz8

Dave

But I haven't got Polar Bears Russ! ;)
- now there's a thought :D - I could throw a couple of dead horses' legs into my garden and see if Victor et al get the scent and break through the fencing (on second thoughts maybe not - they are a bit bigger than your wildlife!)

Russ

Last edited:
What a treat.

I even feel sorry for the foxes left without supper..:)

No need to feel sorry for them John, they start early and finish late!
I went out a bit later last night as I found that the batteries in the camera needed changing, as I did so (in the dark) I was aware of a presence on the lawn and shone the torch on the young Badger out early on its own. It did retreat but not at a rush, giving me a backward glance as if to say, "I was just getting into those peanuts!" :LOL:

Roger..where's my nightly Foxy Loxy /Brock the badger entertainment videos ? :LOL:

Roger..where's my nightly Foxy Loxy /Brock the badger entertainment videos ? :LOL:

Been a little quieter the last few nights John, plenty of footage but mainly of the Fox cub sitting by the dish and munching ... though here's one from last night that might amuse ...

Grats on the badger cub buddy( lol I think I'm nealy as chuffed for you as you are),some great footage and all the luck in the world with the daylight endevors.

Grats on the badger cub buddy( lol I think I'm nealy as chuffed for you as you are),some great footage and all the luck in the world with the daylight endevors.
Cheers Stu, the little lass was out earlier last night at 8pm but typically I was unprepared! :banghead:

I'd love daylight visits, Haha now is when the hours get put in, and the real game begins, Unprepared is no longer an option, but they always manged to find that moment don't they.....excuse me but .......... sods !! :LOL: ,

A lesson in cooperation from the Badger and the Fox cub ... cooperation at the table. :)

Then the Badger family came and stayed ... and stayed ... and stayed!
If you listen you can here the Vixen calling in the background ... I didn't realise Foxes would do this so much apart from when seeking a mate (@Stuart Philpott ?)

Reminds me of the John Cleese sketch on the class sytem and R. Corbett keeps saying "I know my place"..lol.

I wonder what they both heard coming from the bushes ? (near the end)

Reminds me of the John Cleese sketch on the class sytem and R. Corbett keeps saying "I know my place"..lol.

I wonder what they both heard coming from the bushes ? (near the end)

Nothing came in immediately afterward John but at least one more cub, the vixen and a couple of Badgers later, so could have been any of them ... or a cat! :)

A lesson in cooperation from the Badger and the Fox cub ... cooperation at the table. :)

Then the Badger family came and stayed ... and stayed ... and stayed!
If you listen you can here the Vixen calling in the background ... I didn't realise Foxes would do this so much apart from when seeking a mate (@Stuart Philpott ?)

Roger, it's a constant learning curve,isn't it. :) Yes I'm also hearing the odd call out of the breeding season, i'm as sure as I can be mum actually calls the cubs to her. and that's what we have both heard. what I didn't know is that a fox and dog will bark at each other,some form of communication. I heard PK and one of the dogs next door roger,while I actually had one of the cubs right in front of me, There was a definite set of calls and replies going on between dog and fox. Very strange !!

Buddy later in your vid some of the barks really sound like roe. Mate my ears are not the best I might be mistaken, but Shaz also noted how much the barks sounded like roe, without any prompting from me. Roger I know you live where it is fairly built up somewhere Bristol way......................... It that possible mate? That you might have roe fairly close to you? Do you know what roe sound like when they bark, it's a warning call buddy, we hear it often, but you might not be aware. As I say bud not completely sure if we are hearing the sounds and making a correct ID certainly we both heard fox earlier in the video, but later on the barks do sound remarkably roe like.

sorry slow Roger been a bit busy these last days. I normally hear vixens calling and the replies from dog foxes late in the year, say late oct through to feb peak around here seems to be jan, but had no previous awareness of them calling out of season that I can recollect. The dog( domestic) and fox convo is utterly new to me and also really surprised me!!

A little help buddy I'm no expert just spent a lot of time with them this year like yourself.

Mate how's the efforts to catch a day light cub going ? I know you got a hide but forgive me I haven't been able to keep up

Ha 2 badger cubs bloody brilliant:LOL:

take care

stu

Roger, it's a constant learning curve,isn't it. :) Yes I'm also hearing the odd call out of the breeding season, i'm as sure as I can be mum actually calls the cubs to her. and that's what we have both heard. what I didn't know is that a fox and dog will bark at each other,some form of communication. I heard PK and one of the dogs next door roger,while I actually had one of the cubs right in front of me, There was a definite set of calls and replies going on between dog and fox. Very strange !!

Buddy later in your vid some of the barks really sound like roe. Mate my ears are not the best I might be mistaken, but Shaz also noted how much the barks sounded like roe, without any prompting from me. Roger I know you live where it is fairly built up somewhere Bristol way......................... It that possible mate? That you might have roe fairly close to you? Do you know what roe sound like when they bark, it's a warning call buddy, we hear it often, but you might not be aware. As I say bud not completely sure if we are hearing the sounds and making a correct ID certainly we both heard fox earlier in the video, but later on the barks do sound remarkably roe like.

sorry slow Roger been a bit busy these last days. I normally hear vixens calling and the replies from dog foxes late in the year, say late oct through to feb peak around here seems to be jan, but had no previous awareness of them calling out of season that I can recollect. The dog( domestic) and fox convo is utterly new to me and also really surprised me!!

A little help buddy I'm no expert just spent a lot of time with them this year like yourself.

Mate how's the efforts to catch a day light cub going ? I know you got a hide but forgive me I haven't been able to keep up

Ha 2 badger cubs bloody brilliant:LOL:

take care

stu

That's an interesting thought Stu, I'm not sure I would recognise a Roe Deer call.
We have a very small wildlife area near us, (not truly 'managed') and also a golf course so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility by any means. Interesting thought about fox and dog 'communicating', again a total unknown to me ... we do have a number of different dog breeds amongst the neighbours from the 'jumpy/yappy' Yorkies across the road (ugh!) to the terriers next door and larger mongrels further down.

Daylight cub is a non-starter at the moment, ever since I bought the hide he (thought it was a 'she' but now think it's a 'he') doesn't turn up until the light goes down. :(

Here you go buddy i've just had a dig for you, here's a vid showing a roe doe barking . I've not yet watched it all but by a min and a half she's up and barking. Roger, you can hear for yourself, but vixen call has a bit more of a scream in the sound. As I say mate, my ears are compromised, but it's a hellish useful sound for you to know anyway :) , The munty warning call is incredibly similar to the roe warning call Roger,personally i'm not good enough to tell them apart, So there is a third candidate for some of those barks munticus reevsi. I guess vixen bark is highest pitch ,I think the munty might be deeper than roe?? It's a classic warning call ,she saying " something's wrong" but not quite ready to run off, she's also letting all around her know something's up at the same time..............many deer use a similar bark, I know fallow, ie seen heard............... but seen 'tothers on t'ele:D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbuHz0Jmko

Roger I went off to look for a sound for you .............you should know of this it's blummin useful (y) Huge help knowing one is coming at you spooked by something else or just to place an animal to try and find slowly one can track direction sometimes via the barks and nab a piccy that way

The guy whose video i've linked i've not met or heard of before. wow the lad knows his stuff!! He's spent A LOT !!!!! of time with roe

The video portrays that classic roe behaviour, that I experience. I've only really found a way to work ,in ?? with?? that behaviour, in the last couple of years. It's just curiosity, but roe are so highly strung not sending them into the next county is no easy thing, To do that over and again like he has takes some learning !!

so there ya go bud deer bark like dogs an' dogs talk to foxes:LOL:

who knew??

Back