Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Well another surprise ... the Badgers have two cubs and last night all four visited together for the first time!

Lovely to watch,Roger. After watching the original two a few times I almost posted that I wonder if they have cubs. Should have said....lol.

I think you need to put out extras. :) I hope the foxes still come.and not think it's not worth it if the badgers are eating it all.

Here you go buddy i've just had a dig for you, here's a vid showing a roe doe barking . I've not yet watched it all but by a min and a half she's up and barking. Roger, you can hear for yourself, but vixen call has a bit more of a scream in the sound. As I say mate, my ears are compromised, but it's a hellish useful sound for you to know anyway :) , The munty warning call is incredibly similar to the roe warning call Roger,personally i'm not good enough to tell them apart, So there is a third candidate for some of those barks munticus reevsi. I guess vixen bark is highest pitch ,I think the munty might be deeper than roe?? It's a classic warning call ,she saying " something's wrong" but not quite ready to run off, she's also letting all around her know something's up at the same time..............many deer use a similar bark, I know fallow, ie seen heard............... but seen 'tothers on t'ele:D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbuHz0Jmko

Roger I went off to look for a sound for you .............you should know of this it's blummin useful (y) Huge help knowing one is coming at you spooked by something else or just to place an animal to try and find slowly one can track direction sometimes via the barks and nab a piccy that way

The guy whose video i've linked i've not met or heard of before. wow the lad knows his stuff!! He's spent A LOT !!!!! of time with roe

The video portrays that classic roe behaviour, that I experience. I've only really found a way to work ,in ?? with?? that behaviour, in the last couple of years. It's just curiosity, but roe are so highly strung not sending them into the next county is no easy thing, To do that over and again like he has takes some learning !!

so there ya go bud deer bark like dogs an' dogs talk to foxes:LOL:

who knew??

That's very interesting Stu, never knowingly heard that before but I see what you mean ... really don't know which it was now, very alike.

Here's another sound for you though ... Badgers calling to one another, in this instance you see the cubs responding to calls from the parents. :)

After a brief 'sniffing' incident the Badgers settle down in close proximity to the Fox cub.
They are feeding almost cheek to cheek at some points and though the Fox cub shows a little caution there is no evidence of animosity at all.

The fox is definitely playing but I wouldn’t trust the badger if I were he/she :).

Yes.. You can't help but feel that there's that slight suspicion that Mr Brock could turn nasty.

I couldn't resist this clip ,especially with the music. The end is very funny too.

Amazing stuff, Roger. I haven't been following the thread but how lucky you are to have this going on in your garden at might! :clap:

Thanks for commenting Jerry, I really look forward to seeing what the camera has captured overnight ... the cubs (both Fox & Badger) are really growing now. :)

This thread just gets better and better (y)

I don't think you should be in the least surprised. Badgers have had a very high level of protection for years now, not that they didn't need it, but as a result the numbers have massively increased. I guess just like foxes they can find easier living in a city. I live in a rural village, so a bit different, but they are sometimes seen in gardens here, which may be why we don't see hedgehogs any more.............

Or bumblebees.....

Well last night's video could be called "Badgers Galore"!
For the first time we had 2 x adults and 4 x youngsters all together on the lawn and then breaking away for a rummage around the garden. The 4 x youngsters appear to be growing well and give evidence of sibling rivalry around the peanuts from time to time.
I'm going to need a bigger lawn! :LOL:

Well last night's video could be called "Badgers Galore"!
For the first time we had 2 x adults and 4 x youngsters all together on the lawn and then breaking away for a rummage around the garden. The 4 x youngsters appear to be growing well and give evidence of sibling rivalry around the peanuts from time to time.
I'm going to need a bigger lawn! :LOL:

How will you feel when you have, say, 30 badgers on the lawn at night? :oops: :$

Quiet night last night, just the one Badger and the usual Fox cub.
However the male Fox visited several times through the night and that's the first time I have seen him for about 10 days so that was good; the Vixen also visited a couple of times.

Due to being nocturnal and spending so much time underground, Badgers have quite poor eyesight.
Creeping up beside them can catch them by surprise!

Another good record of behaviour there, Gramps.

I'm a bit surprised that the badger appeared so surprised by the fox. I've read their sense of smell is exceptional and their hearing is also excellent so thought the badger would have noticed the fox before it evidently did.

I know from occasionally being about 2 metres from badgers their sight is not good but more than compensated by the hearing and smell. I think I once startled a close badger by breathing out.

Dave

I'm a bit surprised that the badger appeared so surprised by the fox. I've read their sense of smell is exceptional and their hearing is also excellent so thought the badger would have noticed the fox before it evidently did.

I know from occasionally being about 2 metres from badgers their sight is not good but more than compensated by the hearing and smell. I think I once startled a close badger by breathing out.

Dave

I was a bit surprised myself TBH Dave ... in it's defence I guess the cub moves quite softly and also I had put out the last tub of wet dog food which may have confused its sense of smell! :oops: :$

Dave
Wind direction?

One of the local foxes doing its best to get into the hedgehog feeder last night including trying a bit of digging and trying to pull a fairly heavy planter off the top.

Dave

https://youtu.be/AHiykOgwm30

One of the local foxes doing its best to get into the hedgehog feeder last night including trying a bit of digging and trying to pull a fairly heavy planter off the top.

Dave

https://youtu.be/AHiykOgwm30

Really good clip. I could feel it’s frustration...lol. These trail cameras are great . All the clips put into this thread have not only been entertaining but informative/educational. I now know a lot more about the behaviour of foxes, badgers, their cubs and deer. An insight into a world we’d otherwise never get to see. A big (y) from me.

One of the local foxes doing its best to get into the hedgehog feeder

Ever since I first read this I can’t get the picture out of my mind of something along the lines of a fatball feeder but with hedgehogs in it for foxes:( .

Interesting record of the interaction

Years ago when we had a cat (who was semi-feral but small) we saw her meetings with foxes a few times. Only once, during the day and when we were in the garden, did she make it clear to a fox it was not welcome.

In every other encounter(all of which were at night and recorded on the camera) her and the fox were well aware of each other but avoided any contact. They would sometimes be within a couple of feet of each other but there was never any argy bargy.

I assumed each knew a fight with another predator was risky so avoided it, but the cat on your video is clearly confident of its ability.

Dave

Lots of activity still each night, the Badgers come early and take most of the food, leaving just the scraps for the Foxes.
I put some food along the wall and in the Holly bush (to the right) to stimulate activity and provide something beyond the reach of the Badgers. Over the past few nights I have spotted another male Fox in the garden and I am wondering if this is in fact one of the litter as I did think I once saw a male amongst the youngsters but he was a rare visitor.

Badger 'Nudge' (they don't tend to squabble over the food they more nudge or shoulder-push to get priority. :)

A little interaction between the Badgers (up to 5) and one of the female Fox cubs ... she works around them cautiously to get her share, including biscuits from the Holly bush.

All very civilised,Roger. :) I see Foxy-Loxy caught a flying beastie.

Back