Not sure if this ASUS ZenBook is good for editing

I use my Dell desktop with a 36 inch monitor for editing. I too would not consider a laptop

Les

My personal opinion is that a 13inch screen is too small. At the minimum I would use a 15 inch screen. If you have a bad back, my thoughts would be too look into getting a large tablet/ surface book for editing.

You can build a desktop/ tower that would be better than that for cheaper. Granted I already had a monitor, mouse, keyboard and a power supply but I built a pc with an i5 9400, gtx 1050ti, 16gb of ram and a 500gb ssd for about £550. The £550 also covered a cheap case.
I built it mainly as a budget gaming pc but it runs everything pretty quick. The bottleneck for my pc is the graphics card but I don’t honestly know how big of an impact graphics cards have on editing. I would have thought ram and cpu are more important but I don’t know

It does say you want a laptop though. You can get higher end gaming laptops with bigger screens and better performance. The problem is you’ll be paying quite a lot, laptops are usually more expensive than a desktop for the same spec. Also you can’t upgrade laptops really. Some you can add some ram too and maybe the hard drive but the processor and graphics cards are set in stone when you by one, as far I know anyway.
I don’t know bad your back is or how you need to position yourself to get comfortable but you can get adjustable monitor arms that attach to desks so you can have your monitor in loads of different positions.

The quality of your photography determines your monitor needs. I am largely a snap shot shooter and thus have no great demands for resolution or color dynamics. So, a cheap laptop or chromebook suits me fine. However, this does not mean my needs are yours. If you are the sort who shoots for the 'high-end' of photography then a much more capable monitor is necessary. Laptops are fine. Just don't buy a mid-level or cheap one. You get what you pay for.

I think the Asus you listed has integrated graphics. A dedicated graphics card would be better but as I said before I don’t know how much impact graphics cards have on editing

Thanks for your input guys. I ordered a refurbished Dell Latitude from ebay with very good specs from a seller who has 100% positive feedback.

• Intel Core Core i5-5300U 2.30/2.90GHz 3MB SmartCache Processor
  • 14" FHD IPS (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit
  • 16GB DDR3L Memory
  • nVidia GeForce 840M 3D 2GB Graphics
  • Intel HD 5500 Graphics (on power saver/battery mode)
  • 256GB Samsung SSD Hard Drive
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7625 WiFi
  • Intel Bluetooth 4.0
  • Intel Gigabit Ethernet L218-LM
  • HD Webcam with Dual Array Digital Microphone
  • Backlit UK Keyboard
  • HDMI Port
  • Mini DisplayPort
  • 3 x USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 3 ports
It should be delivered tomorrow so I hope I made the right decision. Never bought refurbished laptop before, but I found a previous thread where someone mentioned buying refurbished so I thought I will try it. The plan is to connect it to my monitor and when my back hurts too much I can lay down on the sofa and continue editing. I have a desktop but it developed a blue screen and it doesn't allow me export from lightroom as the lr switches off everytime I try to do this and the blue screen appears if I put too much pressure. I want to fix it but I need something that I can continue working on as I have two weddings to edit and the time is running short.

You don’t really need much power for editing pictures, a laptop is plenty for most people.

The screen is the important bit and the screen on the Dell looks ok although I probably would have tried to find something with a higher resolution.

Why do you need more than 1080p on a 14” screen? I’ve got a 27” 1080p monitor and I see no reason to go to 1440 or 4k

You don’t really need much power for editing pictures, a laptop is plenty for most people.

The screen is the important bit and the screen on the Dell looks ok although I probably would have tried to find something with a higher resolution.

If you like editing fast 700 photos and saving time for other things then much power is great. LR needs a lot of RAM, good processor and a good hard drive.

The resolution should be ok as it's the same as on my 24" monitor so I'm used to it.

Thanks for your input guys. I ordered a refurbished Dell Latitude from ebay with very good specs from a seller who has 100% positive feedback.

• Intel Core Core i5-5300U 2.30/2.90GHz 3MB SmartCache Processor
  • 14" FHD IPS (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit
  • 16GB DDR3L Memory
  • nVidia GeForce 840M 3D 2GB Graphics
  • Intel HD 5500 Graphics (on power saver/battery mode)
  • 256GB Samsung SSD Hard Drive
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7625 WiFi
  • Intel Bluetooth 4.0
  • Intel Gigabit Ethernet L218-LM
  • HD Webcam with Dual Array Digital Microphone
  • Backlit UK Keyboard
  • HDMI Port
  • Mini DisplayPort
  • 3 x USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 3 ports
It should be delivered tomorrow so I hope I made the right decision. Never bought refurbished laptop before, but I found a previous thread where someone mentioned buying refurbished so I thought I will try it. The plan is to connect it to my monitor and when my back hurts too much I can lay down on the sofa and continue editing. I have a desktop but it developed a blue screen and it doesn't allow me export from lightroom as the lr switches off everytime I try to do this and the blue screen appears if I put too much pressure. I want to fix it but I need something that I can continue working on as I have two weddings to edit and the time is running short.

Just out of interest how much was this please? I currently use my work laptop for editing and it has a very similar spec to this and it's fine. I'd just like my own machine so I can take it with me to events.

If you like editing fast 700 photos and saving time for other things then much power is great. LR needs a lot of RAM, good processor and a good hard drive.

The resolution should be ok as it's the same as on my 24" monitor so I'm used to it.

Not in my experience, RAM does nothing for LR as long as you have enough, processor grunt is useful for large batch processes such as build previews/exports but even a small mobile processor is good enough not to lag in image editing, a fast HD is always nice though.

Or to put it a different way, aside from screen size there wasn’t really any difference in performance when editing with a top line iMac or a very lowly specd 12” MacBook.

Or to put it another way, Adobe suck at optimising for modern hardware, especially multi-core processors.

Back