Nuisance neighbours...

It does make me wonder a lot why people don't use their drive ways. Around where we live all houses have very sizeable driveways yet so many people leave their cars on the road. Fair enough with ice and snow and a slope I can have some sympathy but other than that why if why?

Something else I see is people parking on the road when visiting someone who has a large driveway. Why not park on it?

Steve.

Yes exactly. Only last weekend, a parent dropped a friend of my children off. They didn't use the drive.

I alway leave a note for delivery drivers as well to just park and use our drive way.

One chap in the road has got a drive where easily 7 cars would fit. Yet somehow he can only manage one car at a time on it. And parks the other two outside the gates on the road. I asked him and he said it looked messy to have more than one car on the drive.

And besides that, yes it was, but you were highlighting the stupidity and selfishness of the situation quite clearly . I would have love to see the look on their face when you offered the swap.

It was a bit...

egg%20on%20your%20face.gif

See I'm a nice guy, I'll ask to park if I need to visit other places. At my doctor surgery parking is a free for all even on a good day, just up the street is a small family run car part shop, Sometimes if there's no paking at the doctors I'll go into the shop and ask them if I can park there. They've always said yes but they might get fed up of me some point lol. I won't park in disabled bays either.

Quite!
If someone comes and asks...completely different matter :)

if he built on someone else's property they have he right to remove it and give the materials back to the owner. neighbour could take him to small claims to recover money for redoing garden.
You'd like to think so but the legal advice they got was that the land registry plans weren't clear enough to show the boundary and it would be a long, drawn out, expensive process.

Parking on the pavement isnt illegal outside of london unless the local authority has made an order banning it (if they have there'd be signs) - however if a cop sees you in the action of doing it he can do you under the 1835 highways act which forbids driving on the pavement.

There is a law against obstructing a footpath though. It was used successfully against Wiltshire Scamership vans to stop them parking on motorway bridges and other areas

There is a law against obstructing a footpath though. It was used successfully against Wiltshire Scamership vans to stop them parking on motorway bridges and other areas

There is indeed - put per by post above most (but not all) pavements arent footpaths in law , they are footways and thus don't fall under the CRoW act etc.

Yes exactly. Only last weekend, a parent dropped a friend of my children off. They didn't use the drive.

I alway leave a note for delivery drivers as well to just park and use our drive way.

One chap in the road has got a drive where easily 7 cars would fit. Yet somehow he can only manage one car at a time on it. And parks the other two outside the gates on the road. I asked him and he said it looked messy to have more than one car on the drive.

To be perfectly honest with you, I know that it can be frustrating, but it is absolutely NONE of your business if someone parks LEGALLY on a public highway.
If you had asked me, then I would have just blanked you and walked away.

The last person who blanked me and walked away, I blanked and walked away.

The last person who blanked me and walked away, I blanked and walked away.

Unfortunately, they didnt see that you had blanked them and walked away as they had already blanked you and walked away...:thinking:

So, would a car parked on the path (essectially blocking it), forcing other pavement users into the the road, be classed as a dangerous obstruction?

To be perfectly honest with you, I know that it can be frustrating, but it is absolutely NONE of your business if someone parks LEGALLY on a public highway.
If you had asked me, then I would have just blanked you and walked away.
Wow you'd be a nice neighbour :rolleyes:

Wow you'd be a nice neighbour :rolleyes:

Yes, I am a nice neighbour, who has NEVER tried to tell another neighbour NOT to park outside my house on the PUBLIC highway.
I unfortunately have been the victim of an absolute ars****e, who thought that despite everyone else in our road parking where they could, and then WALKING maybe 50 metres maybe 100 metres to their home and not complaining, he decided to attempt to intimidate me by deliberately bumping into my car (which was stationary), because it was slightly in front of his house, despite the fact that he could park easily behind my car, because there were no other cars around.
One Sunday however, things escalated, because he was a habitual drink driver, who drove down the local social club, got ratars*d, then drove back home to his pit. On this day, he left the home and returned, but somehow did not notice that another car had taken up part of the space which he had left. So, in his totally p****d state he got angry and destroyed the rear end of my car, which I heard, because I was at home. I went outside and he had turned the car around and then started crashing into my car from the other direction.
I shouted at him to stop, but he ignored me, so I started to kick in every panel of his car, wherupon he got out of his car - reeking of alcohol - and said that he was going to do me for criminal damage - priceless.
I then phoned the police, and he got into his car - he was obviously still p****d and drove off.
The police were not interested, until I told them that I would take a sledgehammer to his car, and the suddenly took notice. They asked me where he had gone, and I said - "no idea".
They turned up just as he returned, and they took him into custody - he later turned out to be three times over the limit and does not drive anymore - for that we can be very pleased.

Public roads are public roads, and I park very consederately, others do not, but I can do nothing about them.

If I had a drive and someone parked their car in my drive through spite or revenge for me parking on the road, then I would definitely take a sledgehammer to their vehicle, because I keep to the law - except when other people think that they are above the law.

Lots of unfounded assumptions and a large dose of anger and aggression is what I see. Not very nice at all in my opinion.

Yes, I am a nice neighbour....

....I would definitely take a sledgehammer to their vehicle, because I keep to the law - except when other people think that they are above the law.

The irony. So you're above the law in certain circumstances as well.

If I had a drive and someone parked their car in my drive through spite or revenge for me parking on the road, then I would definitely take a sledgehammer to their vehicle, because I keep to the law - except when other people think that they are above the law.

So you would commit Criminal Damage then. Seriously, you need to grow up. This is not the Wild West.

The irony. So you're above the law in certain circumstances as well.

I think in context, the comment to the police about the sledgehammer was to try and get the police interested......... which to be honest they should have been "interested" in a drink driver being reported and criminal damage.

I think in context, the comment to the police about the sledgehammer was to try and get the police interested......... which to be honest they should have been "interested" in a drink driver being reported and criminal damage.
No it wasn't, he made it very clear and unambiguous that if someone parked their car wrong to make a point he would take a sledgehammer to it.

And not only that, even when a nice neighbour has a chat and asks him about parking on the road he would just blank that neighbour.

He really know how to paint an unsociable nasty piece of work about himself.

No it wasn't, he made it very clear and unambiguous that if someone parked their car wrong to make a point he would take a sledgehammer to it.

And not only that, even when a nice neighbour has a chat and asks him about parking on the road he would just blank that neighbour.

He really know how to paint an unsociable nasty piece of work about himself.
OK..... you're right.... I can't be bothered

The statement was:

so some people are above the law, but not Andy?

Nice shade of green :)

The police say it is the responsibility of councils to deal with vehicles parked on pavements,
and it is only illegal if there is a 'dangerous obstruction on the public highway'.

The second part is untrue, there's plenty of legislation to deal with it. But, there's not enough police about as it is, and in the grand scheme of things, obstruction isn't a high priority unless it's causing a danger. Both Police and Councils have the power to deal with it, so part one is partially true.

So, would a car parked on the path (essectially blocking it), forcing other pavement users into the the road, be classed as a dangerous obstruction?

Yes it is.

Taking a sledge hammer to a car as an act of revenge because a car is parked obstructing a drive way would be criminal damage. It matters not that someone else has broken the law, it doesn't give anyone else carte Blanche to commit a higher level of crime.

Cheers Russ, you seem to understand, unlike some others.
The police were not interested in doing anything until I got stroppy - a sad state of affairs, particularly as I had reported the driver (other neighbours had also done the same) previously.
As I do not own a sledgehammer, I doubt if I would nip down the shops to buy one specifically for this task.

The second part is untrue, there's plenty of legislation to deal with it. But, there's not enough police about as it is, and in the grand scheme of things, obstruction isn't a high priority unless it's causing a danger. Both Police and Councils have the power to deal with it, so part one is partially true.

Yes it is.

Taking a sledge hammer to a car as an act of revenge because a car is parked obstructing a drive way would be criminal damage. It matters not that someone else has broken the law, it doesn't give anyone else carte Blanche to commit a higher level of crime.

Thanks for clarifying.

We recently had our roof replaced so had scaffolding up. One of our car was on one neighbours drive for just over a week, one car was on the other neighbours drive during the day as they were at work and my works car was parked in front of another neighbours house for a week. So yes we have good neighbours. As one neighbour has 3 daughters all living away from home they often park in front of our house when they come "home" and occasionally in front of our drive. I only have to be seen walking up their drive to ask them to move the car and somebody is out to move their car. Really can't ask for better neighbours.

Lots of unfounded assumptions and a large dose of anger and aggression is what I see. Not very nice at all in my opinion.

There was a lot of anger, but I fail to see the "unfounded assumptions" part - please explain.
The reason why there was a lot of anger, is that it was the third time in total that he had damaged that particular car, and that although we tried to sort out the previous knocks by talking about it, he refused to pay up. In fact with regard to the two previous instances, he told me that my car would not have been damaged if I had not parked it (partially) in front of his house.
Fortunately on the last and most serious incident, a neighbour witnessed the whole thing and made a statement. Despite this, the fact that he was banned for a year, fined and forced to take an awareness test (alcohol awareness would have been good), he spread a lot of gossip around the village, that I had "dobbed him in". The gossip made no mention of the drink driving, simply that the "accident" (forgetting to mention the previous incidents), was due to a "medical condition" - well, I suppose being an alcoholic and drink driving is a kind of "medical condition".
So yes, I was very angry, and I think that my anger and response was justified.

We recently had our roof replaced so had scaffolding up. One of our car was on one neighbours drive for just over a week, one car was on the other neighbours drive during the day as they were at work and my works car was parked in front of another neighbours house for a week. So yes we have good neighbours. As one neighbour has 3 daughters all living away from home they often park in front of our house when they come "home" and occasionally in front of our drive. I only have to be seen walking up their drive to ask them to move the car and somebody is out to move their car. Really can't ask for better neighbours.

Exactly as it should be. In our case the road is a much better place now that the drink driver has moved on, and everyone gets on fine.

The police were not interested in doing anything until I got stroppy - a sad state of affairs, particularly as I had reported the driver (other neighbours had also done the same) previously.

The problem is Andy, that what had happened had happened, nothing police could or would do would prevent or undo that. You made a threat to cause criminal damage, which is a higher level of crime, which could be prevented (although the threat itself is an offence), so of course you brought things to a different level of response.

For what it's worth, which is nothing, in the past, speaking for myself, in the circumstances you've described I'd have at least interviewed the driver about criminal damage to your car. But, then we didn't spend as much time dealing with the crap they do now, so we had the time to look deeper.

There was a lot of anger, but I fail to see the "unfounded assumptions" part - please explain.
The reason why there was a lot of anger, is that it was the third time in total that he had damaged that particular car, and that although we tried to sort out the previous knocks by talking about it, he refused to pay up. In fact with regard to the two previous instances, he told me that my car would not have been damaged if I had not parked it (partially) in front of his house.
Fortunately on the last and most serious incident, a neighbour witnessed the whole thing and made a statement. Despite this, the fact that he was banned for a year, fined and forced to take an awareness test (alcohol awareness would have been good), he spread a lot of gossip around the village, that I had "dobbed him in". The gossip made no mention of the drink driving, simply that the "accident" (forgetting to mention the previous incidents), was due to a "medical condition" - well, I suppose being an alcoholic and drink driving is a kind of "medical condition".

Not an issue at all. The case would have been reported in the local paper, I'd simply have made sure a photocopy of the article would have appeared in every letterbox for streets around, put up at the local pubs etc.

Unfounded assumption as in that I was telling someone where they can or cannot park. I did no such thing, I was merely having a neighbourly conversation and during that ask a neighbour why they do something. That is not the same as telling. That does not warrant a blanking of a neighbour. That does not the warrant the level of anger and aggression in response.

The neighbour of my friend who scratched my car is getting done for criminal damage, still unsure of the process regarding getting him to pay for my car, even though I can do it myself for free :sneaky:

He called the council about a few people on the street who leave their rubbish on top of their front wall, but still on their property. The council went to collect the rubbish and was going to send everyone a fine. Just this morning my mate rung the council to ask wtf they are doing and they said that the person who complained said the rubbish was obstructing the road...he's now getting done by the council for wasting their time because it's on camera that all the rubbish was on everyone's property lol. He'll never learn.

The neighbour of my friend who scratched my car is getting done for criminal damage, still unsure of the process regarding getting him to pay for my car, even though I can do it myself for free :sneaky:

He called the council about a few people on the street who leave their rubbish on top of their front wall, but still on their property. The council went to collect the rubbish and was going to send everyone a fine. Just this morning my mate rung the council to ask wtf they are doing and they said that the person who complained said the rubbish was obstructing the road...he's now getting done by the council for wasting their time because it's on camera that all the rubbish was on everyone's property lol. He'll never learn.

You'll be lucky if he's ever made to offer recompense for the damage to you car, sadly.
And in terms of being "done " by the council, - a sternly worded letter is about all they can do.

The neighbour of my friend who scratched my car is getting done for criminal damage, still unsure of the process regarding getting him to pay for my car, even though I can do it myself for free

Was there an estimate of the cost of repair in your statement to Police?

If not, ring the officer in case, and ask him if you can make a further statement with a view to reclaiming from the defendent. Contray to popular belief by some you do stand a chance of getting the cost back, but obviously only if the courts are aware of it.

Back