Obtaining URLs for images - in bulk

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd ask if anybody had experience of hosting thousands of pictures and getting URLs easily for them. What's the easiest method? I don't mind hosting them myself / or using a 3rd party like dropbox / google drive. Just looking for a way of adding files to a folder, and easily downloading a spreadsheet with the file names in that folder down column A, and the URLs on column B. I can see it's being possible by right clicking on each file in order to use the 'copy url' function, in the likes of dropbox desktop, but I want a database in excel format that I can download quickly should the contents of the folder change, ie - adding new pictures

The closest I could find was this, but I'm not sure how this would work for thousands of pictures.

View: https://youtu.be/z2biyvW9wEA

I think this would be more suitable for smaller numbers of files, but maybe not so good for 1000s of images

Hi Gil,

I upload my pictures to a given folder on my site through
Transmission App. Selecting the uploaded files in the app
window, I just right click "copy links" and paste them where-
ever I want them… 10, 100, 1000 makes no difference!

EDIT: correction in post #7

Last edited:

Hi Gil,

I upload my pictures to a given folder on my site through
Transmission App. Selecting the uploaded files in the app
window, I just right click "copy links" and paste them where-
ever I want them… 10, 100, 1000 makes no difference!

Thanks Kodiak. Is the Tranmission App a mac or windows program? Do you have a web hosting company looking after your pictures to make them available on the internet?

Ahh, ok - I know the transmission app - I used it to download things - but I'm not allowed anymore!! I didn't realise it could be used to upload too, and obtain urls.

I guess you must need to configure tranmission with the details of your webhosting account - so that they speak to each other.

Last edited:

SORRY… I GOT THAT ALL WRONG!

Yes. Transmission is a downloader but what you want is
a FTP Client and for that I use Transmit… my bad! :cool:

Last edited:

SORRY… I GOT THAT ALL WRONG!

Yes. Transmission is a downloader but what you want is
a FTP Client and for that I use Transmit… my bad! :cool:

Ah ok, I know transmit too :). So I need a web-hosting service who have FTP compatibility - and will make the files I upload public via urls automatically.

Then by setting it up with transmit, I can copy the URLs in bulk of the files I upload via FTP?

Can I ask which company you use - was it easy to configure on their side? Other than FTP login details, was there any further settings required on Transmit to get these URLs?

Thanks for your help so far :)

So I need a web-hosting service who have FTP compatibility
Don't they all have?
and will make the files I upload public via urls automatically.
Only those you share the url with… of course and this is not automatic
Then by setting it up with transmit, I can copy the URLs in bulk of the files I upload via FTP?
YES!
Can I ask which company you use - was it easy to configure on their side?
I use an austrian server but you should look for one in your country.
Don't worry, on their side they are pros and they can help you with your side too.
What ever way you want to manage your files, I do through my website which has
folders for sharing images.

Last edited:
Back