Offers in Classifieds

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
How would the members of the forum feel if making an offer, cheeky or otherwise, on items for sale in the classifieds was stopped?
The price would be set by the buyer and the buyer would be able to adjust the price if the item/s were not selling, say once every 2, 3 or 4 weeks.
It's very disheartening to read through the classifieds and read some of the low offers using the ' cheeky' etc excuse in an effort to make it sound acceptable.
Opinions?

Regrettably there is a culture in this country where no one expects to pay the asking price for anything, especially products.
My opinion is that fixed prices would not work with used photo gear.
(In the past I have purchased items on here both at asking price and also after making a reduced offer).
Seems to work OK as it is.

As the old anti drug campaign said "just say no" its nothing personal

Quite enjoy all the I can get it at (insert retailer, legit or not) for xxxxx amount, get it there then!!
Another one is if it doesn't sell I will keep it, why when you obviously don't want it?

What is reluctantly selling?
Want rid, but can't really be bothered with all this messing about answering queries.

Last edited:
Easy enough to stick "No Offers" in a classifieds' thread.

Up to a point I tend to agree, there are people that will low ball offers on the off chance the seller is desperate. However
I think the RULES are pretty clear on "offers"
And as ready mentioned the offer can be declined.

• Assume the item is for sale elsewhere too.
  • If you want to buy something, buy it! Don't mess around being a cheapskate, someone will beat you to it, and it will be your fault.
  • No price pointing unless it's accompanied by an explicit offer and a link to the other vendor containing proof. Price pointing to overseas retailers isn't allowed.

With new items the price is fixed unless the retailer has a sale on ,
With used items it up to the seller to say, ono, fixed , firm , no offers or swaps
If the above terms are not listed then I assume a lower offer is acceptable more so if the item is high use or cosmetically challenged , Most retailers will slaughter you on second hand prices because of the above
I have had some very good deals that myself and the seller have agreed on
Just my 2p worth ;)

People often price things on the high side. The offers can always just be declined.

I think it would pretty much kill the classifieds if this were a rule.

Personally I don't have the guts to make lowball offers so it would be nice if advertised prices just got to where they should be, rather than starting at +50% to compensate. But if everyone is happy with this then fine. Free market can take care of itself. Sometimes it just means buying brand new and cheaper elsewhere, like the Manfrotto tripod (WEX, xmas offer), or 410 head that seems to be cheaper new!

Even if the items is priced reasonable or on the low side, people will always try and make a cheeky offer. People love bagging a bargain, some even love boasting they got an item at a bargain price. I have sold things for way below it's true value, just so the item sold. I have also bought a bargain and done a little boast. Not bought or sold on here though.

With new items the price is fixed unless the retailer has a sale on ,
With used items it up to the seller to say, ono, fixed , firm , no offers or swaps
If the above terms are not listed then I assume a lower offer is acceptable more so if the item is high use or cosmetically challenged , Most retailers will slaughter you on second hand prices because of the above
I have had some very good deals that myself and the seller have agreed on
Just my 2p worth ;)

I'll offer 1p for that :LOL:

If I think the price is fair, I won't barter, for example the EM1 MKII I bought recently, or the tripod. They're both very good prices and I felt an offer would be a bit of an insult. But, clearly sellers often add that little bit more expecting someone to try and knock them down in price

Of course there are those that will haggle down, get a good deal and the item resurfaces ( back here ) a few months later at a higher price.
That's just taking the p*** IMO.
To be fair to most members they are pretty good at spotting these and hitting the RTM button.
Then its down to us of course to decide what to do next ;)

Set Mark on them!!!

Of course there are those that will haggle down, get a good deal and the item resurfaces ( back here ) a few months later at a higher price.
That's just taking the p*** IMO.
To be fair to most members they are pretty good at spotting these and hitting the RTM button.
Then its down to us of course to decide what to do next ;)
Surely people aren't stupid enough to try and resell on here at a higher price! I could understand on eBay, but here!

Now THAT would be cruel and unusual punishment!

Surely people aren't stupid enough to try and resell on here at a higher price! I could understand on eBay, but here!
Trust me Steve there are some that truly are that stupid :D

Admittedly its not that common but we've "Had words" with some people over time.
Then of course there are those that we "catch" buying from eBay and selling here, or vice versa.
We "Have words" with those people also.

If I think the price is fair, I won't barter, for example the EM1 MKII I bought recently, or the tripod. They're both very good prices and I felt an offer would be a bit of an insult. But, clearly sellers often add that little bit more expecting someone to try and knock them down in price

This. Some people overprice items, there are times when i think they underprice them, and sometimes they are pretty much spot on. I have bought many times at asking, and many times with a lower offer.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

100% agreed.

One small change however should be no more ambiguous titles like "XYZ Gear" or "selling up", and ideally would include asking price in the titles.

I do agree with asking people to have a bit more detail in their titles - other than 'clearout' or 'stuff' - but think that prices should never be fixed - sellers can always decline any offer they receive. I lived in Malaysia for the last 6 years - you rarely pay ticket price on anything new - there's room for a haggle even from official stores if you're spending a lot, it's part of the buying experience - and should be here too :) there's a bit too much price fixing going on when the same item is the same price across 20 different retailers....

I've seen the odd member repeatedly jump in with very low offers after items remain unsold for a long period, very cheeky. I think alot use MPB tade in as a minimum price or ebay to prevent silly lowball offers but in the end the buyer sets his/her price and should stick to it.

Not keen on "What's your best price?" when I've put a price and invited offers.
Sometimes it does help to get to the price both are happy to pay as opposed to multiple offers and rejection.

But if you drop the price when no offer has been made, then the "buyer" says "No thanks" you've dropped the price when you needn't have.
Agree it is a risk, but I for some reason prefer to ask as sometimes think if I offer a price that feels right to me, make the seller think it is a low ball offer.

There's a bit of a kerfuffle in the accessories section now lol

There's a bit of a kerfuffle in the accessories section now lol

If you mean the tripod, I think the complaints are a bit out of order. If an item is offered at a reasonable, current market price, it matters not a jot what the seller originally paid or how long he's had it.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. If your offer is rejected, offer more or don't buy it.

Taking the p*** out of this forum's classified is fairly obvious and a different matter.

Sometimes it does help to get to the price both are happy to pay as opposed to multiple offers and rejection.

I am mostly selling on ebay these days, and that's predominantly non-photo gear but general stuff... If I list a fixed price then I expect that and won't respond to "what is your best offer". BIN with best offer is a different story - priced a little higher and I expect THEM to send offers. 10-20% or even 30% off is expected but 60% - no chance.

If you mean the tripod, I think the complaints are a bit out of order. If an item is offered at a reasonable, current market price, it matters not a jot what the seller originally paid or how long he's had it.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. If your offer is rejected, offer more or don't buy it.

Taking the p*** out of this forum's classified is fairly obvious and a different matter.
Whilst I can see your point, profiteering from items bought in the classifieds, is I'm pretty certain frowned on and is likely to receive attention from the mods. Not that I'm implying the classified listing being discussed is profiteering.

The 410 head.

By all means justify your offer but keep it civil. I bought one last year on here for £80 and i still think its a goid price now.

Whilst I can see your point, profiteering from items bought in the classifieds, is I'm pretty certain frowned on and is likely to receive attention from the mods. Not that I'm implying the classified listing being discussed is profiteering.
The mods are pretty good at spotting selling for profit and have banned members in the past for it.

If you buy something for say £80. Then 4 years later you come to sell it. You research prices and for whatever reason, the item is commanding around the same money or more, so you list it for the market rate, that’s not profiteering imo.
profiteering is buying something cheap and reselling it within a short time frame for more.

Fuji x100‘s are still making stupid money, but when I first bought one I got it for quite cheap. Would you expect me to sell a camera for hundreds less than market value 6 years later just because I got a good deal and market prices have increased?

I think the seller is doing nothing wrong and the other guy is getting his knickers in a twist!!!

IIRC the seller bought it 3 or 4 years ago or so... hardly what i would call profiteering!!

Maybe these people selling old film gear should be ashamed, probably bought it for less!!!

I remember 9 or 10 years ago I bought the nikon SB400 and then the SB600 flash - on both occasions the going rate a year or two later was for more than I had paid so sold at the going rate - yes, i was lucky enough to buy a flash, use it then sell for a little more than I paid. Things change in value.

It could be said that.
"You have to sell it cheaper because...
...time
...price paid
...abusing forum
...blah, blah, blah."

Is all just aggressive negotiating strategy.

Last edited:
I think it’s only natural that the buyer wants it cheap and the seller wants it high. I feel people take things far too personally when it comes to selling and they don’t factor that someone can buy your item brand new with warranty for cheaper than your trying to sell a second hand item with no warranty.

@Cobra
On a side note isn’t it high time Sony/Fuji had their own dedicated selling forum and Canon/Nikon relegated to the miscellaneous brands forum. One only has to look at the number of threads in the Canon/Nikon forums to realise they are very much bargain bin/sub forum brands now.

I'm pretty certain frowned on and is likely to receive attention from the mods. .
Indeed it is Steve. Unfortunately we can't be everywhere and read every post.
So we rely on members reporting such, it then goes in the staff room, we discuss and take any appropriate action deemed necessary.

The mods are pretty good at spotting selling for profit and have banned members in the past for it.
As above with the first part, of your and most certainly on the latter.

It could be said that.
"You have to sell it cheaper because...
...time
...price paid
...abusing forum
...blah, blah, blah."
Is all just aggressive negotiating strategy.
That's covered by the RULES
No deliberate profiteering (Increase in market value is OK). If you got a bargain here, pass the bargain back! It's the right thing to do.

@Cobra
On a side note isn’t it high time Sony/Fuji had their own dedicated selling forum .
I can certainly ask the question of admin.

Canon/Nikon are very much bargain bin/sub forum brands now.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back