Office chair recommendation?

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I work at home and spend about 8 hours a day in my home office at the desk, plus more hours if I'm operating my ham radio or photo editing or doing TP stuff. My existing chair looks great (repro vintage Captains Chair) but is giving me very bad shoulder/neck ache from bad posture and lack of appropriate back support, so I'm looking for something new, which doesn't need to look vintage or fit any style requirements. Has anyone got any recommendations? Budget is flexible but I'm happy to spend upto circa £300 for the right one, given that I'll claim the VAT back.
Cheers

I have one of these. All the support and adjustments you could want.

I sit in it for 5-6 hours a day and have had it for 7 years now. Still as comfy as the day it arrived.

I'm a big fan of Noble Chairs Lindsay, the build quality is phenomenal. Yes, they're gaming chairs but they're super comfortable for office use.

A bit over your budget but I always say you buy cheap, you buy twice.

I just bought a second hand Herman Miller - there's a few website/companies that sell second hand office furniture.

I've messed about for too long with a load of cheap chairs that fall apart, seeing as I'm using it hours a day it was time to invest in something decent

I have a "secret labs" Titan. Multiple adjustments here there and everywhere. Plus a magnetic neck cushion lol Best chair I've owned. Bit above budget, but worth it IMHO

I had a Herman Miller Aeron in the office when I was working. Should have brought it home when I retired, brilliant chair. I'd have another if I was sat in the office 8-hours plus a day.

I currently have a cheap from Argos in the home office/study, though they no longer sell it. It's OK to be fair, but is not an Aeron.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had what I think was a Herman Miller when I worked at the Home Office, certainly very good . I've made an enquiry about a used one I found, to see if they will deliver to Northern Ireland at a suitably modest cost. If they can't then I'll probably go for one of the gaming chairs.

Another vote for Herman Miller, I was lucky enough to get one free from a friend. Wish I had taken the second one he was also offering as looking for one for my daughter now and even used ones go for over £300.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had what I think was a Herman Miller when I worked at the Home Office, certainly very good . I've made an enquiry about a used one I found, to see if they will deliver to Northern Ireland at a suitably modest cost. If they can't then I'll probably go for one of the gaming chairs.

I would echo that it's definitely worth spending the extra for a decent chair. I went average with my current chair which is a gaming style and regret not paying more for a better one. The problem I find is that a chair can be an individual thing and with the limited places to actually try a chair out, I'm cautious about overspending on one.

My choice when looking for an office chair would be to start at the bottom:banana::headbang:

Last edited:
Well,
I had planned to buy a used Herman Miller for £475 plus VAT, the VAT being reclaimable, however they then wanted a further £120 plus VAT to deliver it to Northern Ireland, and I couldn't accept that. So I've ordered one of the above-recommended gaming chairs which has free delivery. Hopefully that will be right for me.

Well,
I had planned to buy a used Herman Miller for £475 plus VAT, the VAT being reclaimable, however they then wanted a further £120 plus VAT to deliver it to Northern Ireland, and I couldn't accept that. So I've ordered one of the above-recommended gaming chairs which has free delivery. Hopefully that will be right for me.

That's a crazy delivery charge, I've ordered pallets from the South of France for less! lol

EDIT: speaking of VAT, I'm not sure if it would have been applicable here, but perhaps worth mentioning for other situations where I got caught out in the past ordering some used camera equipment whilst enjoying a few whisky's (yep, bad idea) and I didn't clock that they were using the VAT marginal scheme for their second hand sales, so no VAT invoice :(. That'll teach me! lol

Last edited:
I use an Axia 2.4 high backed ergonomic office chair for prolonged periods at my desk, most comfortable chair I have ever owned with adjustments for just about everything . Very pricy new (£1000+) but used prices are often to be found in your budget range. I have had mine for nearly 10 years now using it daily and its still like new.

Last edited:
I found another thread where I said I'd been recommending Herman Miller for over a decade. Seems it was almost literally true :)

Honestly, I can't remember how long I've had my Aaron - I thought 10 years + but then I found a post 10 years ago that said I'd had it for 8/9 years (and of course it was second hand then). Sitting on it right now - still awesome.

I have a Secret lab Titan, had it 4 years now. Seems a bit firm when you first try it but wouldn't change it now its so comfortable. They do a series of chairs tailored to height and weight. Worth having a look. They look like games chairs but they are far from it.

I'm liking the Noble chairs gaming chair I bought when the delivery cost of the HM Aeron was prohibitive. A bit firm, at present, but my posture is already far better with no neck ache now.

I'm a big fan of Noble Chairs Lindsay, the build quality is phenomenal. Yes, they're gaming chairs but they're super comfortable for office use.

A bit over your budget but I always say you buy cheap, you buy twice.

I'm liking the Noble chairs gaming chair I bought when the delivery cost of the HM Aeron was prohibitive. A bit firm, at present, but my posture is already far better with no neck ache now.

That chair does look nice, damn it I'm tempted to get one now!

I bought the leather Starfield one, just for the geek value!

another Herman Miller here - bought maybe 20 or more years ago - the only thing that has needed adjustment is the up and down pressure which is easy and takes just a minute or so

I have one of these. All the support and adjustments you could want.

I sit in it for 5-6 hours a day and have had it for 7 years now. Still as comfy as the day it arrived.

Boy that looks like a spitting image of my chair. Got or had another around here but not sure were it's at anymore. Friend though my chair didn't look comfortable so he brought me over this one. Truth be known I don't remember if I liked the old one better or not. But this newer one I really do like. I don't spend hours on end sitting in this chair but then maybe it does wear on me some. Get up early in the morning, eat breakfast sitting at my computer fooling around, maybe print a few photo's and a couple hours into it go take a nap! One in the morning and one in the afternoon. I think maybe my physical problems get worse from sitting to long. 78 yrs and every joint in my body is a bit sore from arthritis! But hanging my legs off a chair helps the knees. Left knee has been replaced and right one getting ready. When I was young I could do what I do now sitting on a rock!

I'd say get that chair and try it. Or maybe just go to a store that has it and ask if you could sit in it a bit to test it, then spend the day and see how ya feel! gettin old ain't for sissy"s!

Get the leather one if the budget will stretch to it.

I bought the leather Starfield one, just for the geek value!

It would definitely have to be leather and good to know it's an option. Does it creek at all after time under the base etc? That's something which does my chops in, ruins my chi whilst watching a movie! lol

Back