Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

I'm off now to take a few pics of my XP2 for the classifieds, anyone selling an XT-10 ?

So there you have it, GOD or Ken Rockwell as he likes to be known has decreed the XT-10 is a better camera than the X Pro 2 :whistle:
http://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-pro2.htm

I hate the stuff he puts out. I guess in some ways, on a practical level, he could be right. An XP2 wouldn't make my pictures any better as the X-T is more than enough.

However, I had the XP1 then went X-T10 and I miss the form/ergonomics of the XPro. The XP2 will be my next move from the X-T. Especially once the price comes down a bit. I just can't help but feel Ken is just on a wind up most of the time... For example:

The X-Pro2 is for people whose work isn't yet good enough to warrant the ownership of the LEICA system, but still want a camera that feels well-made.
His review of the M8 is a highlight.

Last edited:
Big Ken will be so proud, maybe you'll get an invite to the pad in Hawaii :whistle: Don't bring a Fuji if you hope to take landscape pictures because they're useless for that, great for people shots though, but if you plan to take pictures of Ken's sprogs best to bring a wide angle :rolleyes:

My eyes, my eyes, it's even more awful on Flickr :whistle:

I love reading his reviews, I do believe he's the internets biggest troll !

I don't know about troll but you just can't ever be sure what he's going to come out with. There is some really good stuff on his site but some of it is just so awful and seems to have been the result of somone in a lot of pain due to a lifetime of anger spitting bile onto the keyboard.

Its funny in the review he says "Fuji's weak point is that its sensors are optimized for people, not places and things, so the color of places and things photos suffers." and then later on says "At least with more saturation options than ever before from a Fuji digital camera, the X-Pro2 is better than ever for photos of places and things."...

I have to agree with him on something though, despite most of my shooting with the XP2 being landscapes and travel (not people) and I still believe the the X-Trans RAW files don't allow as much detail to be extracted than either a Nikon, Canon or Sony file will, luckily the JPEG files are so good it doesn't really matter too much to me at the moment though.

I had a quick faff about with the advanced filters on the XP2 this evening, I reckon you could get some nice, unusual shots with these.

red filter.jpg

Firmware 1.02 for the X-Pro 2 is up as well as a number of lens firmware updates to improve manual focus.

Notes:
The firmware update Ver.1.02 from Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:
  • 1.The accuracy of Manual focus adjustment will be enhanced when using lenses below.
    XF35mmF2 R WR / XF90mmF2 R LM WR / XF10-24mmF4 R OIS / XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR /
    XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS / XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR / XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR /
    XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS / XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR / XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II /
    XC50-230mmF4.5-6.7 OIS II

* It is necessary to upgrade the firmware of lenses above at the same time.
  • 2.The phenomenon below that occurs on rare occasions is fixed.
    ・Horizontal lines appears on LCD or EVF when Auto-rotate playback.
    ・"TURN OFF THE CAMERA AND TURN ON AGAIN." message is displayed right after shooting.

anyone here use one professionally? I'm torn at the moment in trying to work out what 2nd body to get to go along side a D750, its come down to a D810 or x-pro2. The main benefit of the fuji is that with its electronic shutter it will be silent. Ive already got a x-e2 so have a decent lens lineup for nikon and fuji so im just umm'ing and ahh'ing over what body to get.

anyone here use one professionally? I'm torn at the moment in trying to work out what 2nd body to get to go along side a D750, its come down to a D810 or x-pro2. The main benefit of the fuji is that with its electronic shutter it will be silent. Ive already got a x-e2 so have a decent lens lineup for nikon and fuji so im just umm'ing and ahh'ing over what body to get.

Could always get another d750. There will be no need for you to have to think about different camera controls.

The d810 is a very quiet camera and performs fantastically. You may find for weddings though that the relatively slow fps and large 36mp raw files are a compromise.

Firmware 1.02 for the X-Pro 2 is up as well as a number of lens firmware updates to improve manual focus.
I installed the updates last night on my XP2 and XT1 and 6 lenses, I can really notice any difference in manual focus to be honest.

I sold my XP2 to buy a second D750. I just found having two systems a PITA.

I eagerly anticipated getting a camera with a silent shutter for indoor shooting but when I got one (Panny GX7) I was disappointed as under some artificial light you can get banding. If buying for this specific feature again I'd look into it closely and see if banding can occur and under what conditions and circumstances and if it can be prevented. Personally, I'd rather just have a camera with a quiet shutter than a silent one that's going to cause banding under some lighting and with some shutter speeds.

Hi - can I ask what made you decide to go with the D750 over the XP2?
I already had a D750 when I bought the XPro2 as backup but I just found having two systems a pain. As much as I enjoyed the XP2 I sold it so I have two D750s.

I also think all things considered, the D750 is a better camera and more suited to professional use. If I wasn't using it for work, I'd definitely ditch the D750 and invest in Fuji though.

Thanks. So probably the better/more reliable AF, and (better?) image quality over the XP2 just swayed you?

I'm asking because I'm in the position to buy another camera but I don't know what to do - I had a Nikon D600 so could get the D750, but also on my options is an A7II or to wait for the X-T2. I will probably stick with Fuji since I have a few good lenses. After all the research I've discovered that there is no one camera that is perfect for me, and each of these has advantages/disadvantages...

I already had a D750 when I bought the XPro2 as backup but I just found having two systems a pain. As much as I enjoyed the XP2 I sold it so I have two D750s.

I also think all things considered, the D750 is a better camera and more suited to professional use. If I wasn't using it for work, I'd definitely ditch the D750 and invest in Fuji though.

Thanks for the replies, i didnt realise the electronic shutter was prone to banding. I just want something different to a D750 so will probably plump for a decent second hand 810 now.

Thanks. So probably the better/more reliable AF, and (better?) image quality over the XP2 just swayed you?

I'm asking because I'm in the position to buy another camera but I don't know what to do - I had a Nikon D600 so could get the D750, but also on my options is an A7II or to wait for the X-T2. I will probably stick with Fuji since I have a few good lenses. After all the research I've discovered that there is no one camera that is perfect for me, and each of these has advantages/disadvantages...

Yeah. I left a perfectly stable and secure 9-5 job a year ago to shoot pictures for a living and while I'm still learning I don't want to compromise on anything that i don't have to. As much as I love Fuji it's definitely a compromise when compared to something like the D750. AF speed and accuracy is a big deal when you're waiting for something like a handshake to happen between VIPs and you've got 0.5 seconds to capture it!

I totally get what you mean about finding the perfect fit. I just don't think there is such a thing for what I shoot and until I'm a better photographer I want to spend time with one system rather than lust after gear and consider new options.

Makes a lot of sense, Adam - good luck with your photography career.

Yeah. I left a perfectly stable and secure 9-5 job a year ago to shoot pictures for a living and while I'm still learning I don't want to compromise on anything that i don't have to. As much as I love Fuji it's definitely a compromise when compared to something like the D750. AF speed and accuracy is a big deal when you're waiting for something like a handshake to happen between VIPs and you've got 0.5 seconds to capture it!

I totally get what you mean about finding the perfect fit. I just don't think there is such a thing for what I shoot and until I'm a better photographer I want to spend time with one system rather than lust after gear and consider new options.

Yeah I know :) but I'll tell you a few things in my mind which make it difficult to buy:

1) I'm used to the EVF - seeing the pic and whether I need to adjust exposure before I take it. The focus peaking is also great for manual focus. The size and shape of the X-T1 is also perfect.

2) Size/weight - ok, the f1.8 lenses are fine but are they really as good as the Fuji XF ones? The Sigma Art series....they're kinda big/heavy aren't they?

3) Lenses - I would need to invest in new lenses and I wouldn't know where to start. Some of you guys (especially you David ;)) change lenses so often I don't know if there is a consensus as to which are the ones that have to be bought (much like the 55 f1.8 for Sony)

Get that D750 bought!

Yeah I know :) but I'll tell you a few things in my mind which make it difficult to buy:

1) I'm used to the EVF - seeing the pic and whether I need to adjust exposure before I take it. The focus peaking is also great for manual focus. The size and shape of the X-T1 is also perfect.

2) Size/weight - ok, the f1.8 lenses are fine but are they really as good as the Fuji XF ones? The Sigma Art series....they're kinda big/heavy aren't they?

3) Lenses - I would need to invest in new lenses and I wouldn't know where to start. Some of you guys (especially you David ;)) change lenses so often I don't know if there is a consensus as to which are the ones that have to be bought (much like the 55 f1.8 for Sony)

If you like EVF, focus peaking and the size and weight of the XT1 then you've answered your own question.

I use D750s to pay bills and if I didn't need that, I'd shoot Fuji.

4) it isn't a D750...

Back