OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised with the AE-1 I was given recently.
Not as nice as a Contax 139, but still, a very holdable camera. (and it has the original covering! unlike every Contax ever made)

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised with the AE-1 I was given recently.
Not as nice as a Contax 139, but still, a very holdable camera. (and it has the original covering! unlike every Contax ever made)

Well at least the Contax is not as annoying as sticky back Nikons..the Contax you gave me is nearly all grey and feels like soft felt.
This Contax is starting to go:-
contax_139.jpg

Well at least the Contax is not as annoying as sticky back Nikons..the Contax you gave me is nearly all grey and feels like soft felt.
This Contax is starting to go:-
contax_139.jpg

Just change the covering and it will be good for another 20 years :)
My RTSs all have their original leatherette but the 139s and 137s have all succumbed.

First for me in quite a while. For ages now, I have always wished I had gone wider when I bought the 50mm for the Leica. I am a big fan of just having a single lens so I picked up the Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Classic MC. Used but in very good condition. Will see how I get on with it for a while and can always move it on and go back to 50mm if it doesn't suit. :)

35mm is a very comfortable focal length, it seems to me, although maybe not so much for portraiture? Definitely relevant to the supposed Capa remark: if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough!

Just change the covering and it will be good for another 20 years :)
My RTSs all have their original leatherette but the 139s and 137s have all succumbed.

Well if I don't mind people seeing me with a T70 (and even a MTL3) then the grey look is ok by me ;) But I draw the line and would be embarrassed wearing an Ilford Sporti around my neck :D:eek:

both resent both with new seals, test film in the spotmatic now, interestingly a bit of swarf caused the meter to misread/play up. shorting i guess. meter seems fine now. had to go old school and bright on the strap!
412642576.jpg

412642574.jpg

Well I had a similar problem with my AV1 inaccurate meter, anyway before I threw it away thought I'd take the top off and cure the slight camera squeak (something to do for experience)...anyway lifting the top off cured the meter fault and is now very accurate...dry joint somewhere?

Last edited:
Well I had a similar problem with my AV1 inaccurate meter, anyway before I threw it away thought I'd take the top off and cure the camera squeak (something to do for experience)...anyway lifting the top off cured the meter fault and is now very accurate...dry joint somewhere?
it was on the spotmatic and the only cover i removed was the battery terminal, as soon as the loose bit was removed it seems fine, fingers crossed. dry joints are buggers to find i hate chasing them down:confused: i cant wait to get the test film developed and see if its reading ok and if i got the seals ok!

it was on the spotmatic and the only cover i removed was the battery terminal, as soon as the loose bit was removed it seems fine, fingers crossed. dry joints are buggers to find i hate chasing them down:confused: i cant wait to get the test film developed and see if its reading ok and if i got the seals ok!

You'll like the Takumar lenses as well as the Helios...what's odd is my Helios wont screw in properly in my older Pentax S3...yet no problem with other M42 cameras, and all other M42 lenses have no problem screwing into the S3 :rolleyes:

You'll like the Takumar lenses as well as the Helios...what's odd is my Helios wont screw in properly in my older Pentax S3...yet no problem with other M42 cameras, and all other M42 lenses have no problem screwing into the S3 :rolleyes:
ha the joys of older kit, i definatly want a nice fairly fast 35mm for ether the canon or pentax so any recommendations would be most welcome, i will take a look at the takumar's

ha the joys of older kit, i definatly want a nice fairly fast 35mm for ether the canon or pentax so any recommendations would be most welcome, i will take a look at the takumar's

The Auto tak 35mm is a good one but it's only f3.5...the Canon 35mm f2.8 is very good...but if you want fast lenses then up goes the price. :(

The Auto tak 35mm is a good one but it's only f3.5...the Canon 35mm f2.8 is very good...but if you want fast lenses then up goes the price. :(
i guess it comes down to what comes up for sale really, if its really high quality and condition then i don't mind paying a bit more. ideally @f2 but 2.8 would be ok. ill be keeping my eye out for a 35mm and a good macro 100mm ish for the canon and to use with my m4/3 kit.

Well unless you are going to use the camera a lot in dim light, I would think you would be hard pressed to see the difference in results between the well regarded Canon 35mm f2 and 35mm f2.8..esp stopped down...ok maybe in a 5ft wide print the f2 shows the difference ;)

Well unless you are going to use the camera a lot in dim light, I would think you would be hard pressed to see the difference in results between the well regarded Canon 35mm f2 and 35mm f2.8..esp stopped down...ok maybe in a 5ft wide print the f2 shows the difference ;)
i think my photographic skills would be the weak point rather than the .8 :(:D

[QUOTE="niko, post: 7471694, member: 57163"..................... ideally @f2 but 2.8 would be ok. ill be keeping my eye out for a 35mm ......................[/QUOTE]

I use a Sigma Super-Wide 24mm/2.8 which gives quite good results on my Canon A-1

i do like 24mm but my 28mm will be fine for now, the thing i really need is more time to go and use the things instead of buying more, but a 35mm and a macro at some point would be nice.

........, the thing i really need is more time to go and use the things instead of buying more, ........

:) I spent a somewhat isolated winter at the farm cottage
come Spring I had to say ''..where did all this new gear comes from.?...'' :rolleyes:

i do like 24mm but my 28mm will be fine for now, the thing i really need is more time to go and use the things instead of buying more, but a 35mm and a macro at some point would be nice.

Your Canon 28mm is a good one as well, in fact I have about sixteen common 28mms and haven't decided which is my favourite (haven't got any highly rated Zeiss lenses) as they give similar results esp with an Asda low scan and can't be bothered to test all the lenses by paying for a drum scan then doing large crops to see which lens is sharpest or shows more detail (anyway I prefer 24mms)...did this for my 135mms with a home scanner but it's boring.......so what I'm interested in now is a lens that gives me more chance of getting pop (3d) in depth,,,,,I found a few e.g. 135mm Sonnar and Vivitar, also the auto tak 55mm f1.8

Your Canon 28mm is a good one as well, in fact I have about sixteen common 28mms and haven't decided which is my favourite (haven't got any highly rated Zeiss lenses) as they give similar results esp with an Asda low scan and can't be bothered to test all the lenses by paying for a drum scan then doing large crops to see which lens is sharpest or shows more detail (anyway I prefer 24mms)...did this for my 135mms with a home scanner but it's boring.......so what I'm interested in now is a lens that gives me more chance of getting pop (3d) in depth,,,,,I found a few e.g. 135mm Sonnar and Vivitar, also the auto tak 55mm f1.8
yep snap, life's to short for that rigmarole! i do like the way the 44-4 renders not the sharpest but there is something about it. and my 28mm seems to be a pretty good copy. I've a 135mm f3.5 canon fd here (well two of them actually). that are a nice focal length but i need to use a bit more to see if its for me. when i had my last ae1-p (bought new) i loved the 135/3.5

today i received a Canon AL-1...........:)
in mint condition other than a few baseplate scuffs - and no winder cover plug
but going to fit a Canon Winder 'A' so that's no prob

with the arrival of a Canon AE-1 Program - from @BKphotography - this complete my 'A' series collecrion....:banana:
Its a good feeling when your waiting on something to come in the post thats second hand with precision.
Yours looks in great condition. Enjoy.......... Cracking photo what was the surface.

...and there are zooms that are handy ;)
i must admit the only two fd zooms ive used are the 35-70mm and the 80-210mm. ive been eyeing uo a 20 to 35mm fd (L version) but its not cheap and i have no idea how good they are

i must admit the only two fd zooms ive used are the 35-70mm and the 80-210mm. ive been eyeing uo a 20 to 35mm fd (L version) but its not cheap and i have no idea how good they are

Well the problem now is that anyone can type in google for a lens review and there are forums just talking about lenses, and nearly all the hidden gems (that were cheap once) have been found and sellers put the price up because people want to buy them. Just one e.g. the Sigma 24mm superwide II lens that was a hidden gem once and gives good results that I bought for £8 about 5 years ago can go up to £50 now. There is not much you can do other than a lucky buy on the bay, bootsale or charity shop.
I have the Canon 36-70 kit lens and the ordinary 80-210 but am not impressed in that they don't stand out above other makes of similar good zooms, with the name of Canon assumed they would be better when I bought them :( and L lenses are out of my league and happy with other makes of zooms but in getting them cheap, they have different mounts (e.g. the very good Minolta 35-70mm f3.5) so have to use different cameras...well I don't mind as it makes a change from using the T70 :D

Well the problem now is that anyone can type in google for a lens review and there are forums just talking about lenses, and nearly all the hidden gems (that were cheap once) have been found and sellers put the price up because people want to buy them. Just one e.g. the Sigma 24mm superwide II lens that was a hidden gem once and gives good results that I bought for £8 about 5 years ago can go up to £50 now. There is not much you can do other than a lucky buy on the bay, bootsale or charity shop.
I have the Canon 36-70 kit lens and the ordinary 80-210 but am not impressed in that they don't stand out above other makes of similar good zooms, with the name of Canon assumed they would be better when I bought them :( and L lenses are out of my league and happy with other makes of zooms but in getting them cheap, they have different mounts (e.g. the very good Minolta 35-70mm f3.5) so have to use different cameras...well I don't mind as it makes a change from using the T70 :D

Just stick with Tamron, Hoya or similar.
I've been pleasantly surprised by Hoya over the years. Not stellar but dependable and workmanlike, nice clickstops and smooth focus.

................ when i had my last ae1-p (bought new) i loved the 135/3.5

interested as to your thoughts on the f3.5
some time ago I was given a Canon FDn 135/2.8 - I'll try it out on my recent AE-1 Program

interested as to your thoughts on the f3.5
some time ago I was given a Canon FDn 135/2.8 - I'll try it out on my recent AE-1 Program
its small and light, very easy to use and carry.it would be nice if it focused a bit closer. ive had 5 of them now and there does seem to be a bit of variation between then.
here a few of pics with it from my ae1-p film i ran to test for light leaks. del and scan by photoexpress. its agfa vista plus 200
ae1-p test film by nik-o 2012, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just stick with Tamron, Hoya or similar.
I've been pleasantly surprised by Hoya over the years. Not stellar but dependable and workmanlike, nice clickstops and smooth focus.

Tamron was\is a good idea as I have an old 24mm Tamron prime that I can use on my Contax and Nikon....that saves me a couple of hundred quid, but as I don't have a Canon, Nikon, Contax 24mm prime I don't know how good it is to compare....but there is always " what you don't know you don't miss" ;) Same for my other 24mms e.g.Sigma, Vivitar, Ensinor which I am happy with until I know better. Anyway so far I haven't come across a bad copy of a Tamron zoom yet so (y) for Tamron.

Last edited:
its small and light, very easy to use and carry.it would be nice if it focused a bit closer. ive had 5 of them now and there does seem to be a bit of variation between then.
here a few of pics with it from my ae1-p film i ran to test for light leaks. del and scan by photoexpress. its agfa vista plus 200..............

many thanks for that.....(y)
planning a trip to the Lakes with a Nikon D300 and a Canon AE-1 .... I'll take the FDn 135/2.8 too

many thanks for that.....(y)
planning a trip to the Lakes with a Nikon D300 and a Canon AE-1 .... I'll take the FDn 135/2.8 too
no problem, if you cover post both ways i will send you a copy of the f3.5 to compare if you like

no problem, if you cover post both ways i will send you a copy of the f3.5 to compare if you like

thats very generous of you.!

I've had some bad luck this year with damages to kit via Royal Mail and by myHermes - so I'll decline in view of the risk

seems Scottish mail handlers are too ham-fisted.....:(

thats very generous of you.!

I've had some bad luck this year with damages to kit via Royal Mail and by myHermes - so I'll decline in view of the risk

seems Scottish mail handlers are too ham-fisted.....:(
its scary how badly parcels can get treated. i guess its the "you pay peanuts" adage

There doesn't seem to be many complaints about Canon primes except one guy said his plastic 50mm fdn fell apart.........but I'm a bit disappointed with the Canon FDN 200mm f4 as I picked up a Kiron 80-200 f4 zoom for £4 at the bootie and it seems to be a bit sharper, so as the zoom is more useful I use that a lot although it's heavier....but no lens is perfect and the Kiron gives poor results on macro also if I don't use an elastic band, when not used, to stop the lens down then the blades stick open.....so the Canon wins there.

Last edited:
... I picked up a Kiron 80-200 f4 zoom for £4 at the bootie and it seems to be a bit sharper ...

Nice bargain. Kiron was a company formed by ex-Nikon engineers and they made some cracking lenses, including early Vivitar Series 1 lenses before they started offering lenses under their own branding. Their 105mm f/2.8 is quite sought after.

Nice bargain. Kiron was a company formed by ex-Nikon engineers and they made some cracking lenses, including early Vivitar Series 1 lenses before they started offering lenses under their own branding. Their 105mm f/2.8 is quite sought after.

Who makes Japanese lenses (and cameras) is a tangled web....Just think when you have say a Nikon, is everything on the camera made by Nikon...so much subcontracting to companies e.g. Tokina, Cosina .....even it is said, Nikon subcontracted their E 75-150mm zoom to be made by Kiron. Anyway some guys enjoy trying to fathom out who made what, but other guys say who cares who made the lens (or camera) if they are great, just enjoy using them. For me, I'm curious to know that's all.

Back