OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Name
adrian
Edit My Images
No
Oh dear... not sure how the domestic situation will pan out, but I believe @Fraser Euan White might be the right chap to talk to about the use of this make and model of camera. Chin up Todders, there's a good chap. ;)
Iam hoping to bring the subject with our takeaway tonight whilst my good lady is distracted with saturday night tv :)

Last edited:

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot'13/14 <span class=poty>FPOTY'17</span>
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
When asked if the camera is new simply respond with the classic phrase "What this old thing? No I've had it for ages" Works every time (y)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just bought a Nikonos 1. I think the lens looks like a later lens as all of the pictures I've seen of Nikonos I and II have a silver outer ring but the Nikonos III lens was all black. The camera serial is 904570. IMG_20190928_180035.jpg

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Canon Sureshot Supreme arrived yesterday as a bit of an eBay punt. It works just fine and the short test roll of Foma 100 shows some nice sharp images! Now I have a film camera I can give to someone else and they can use it!

Edit My Images
Yes
Canon Sureshot Supreme arrived yesterday as a bit of an eBay punt. It works just fine and the short test roll of Foma 100 shows some nice sharp images! Now I have a film camera I can give to someone else and they can use it!
They're not a bad little camera and beginning to pick up in price too, presumably for their banana-shaped retro look. :giggle:

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
They're not a bad little camera and beginning to pick up in price too, presumably for their banana-shaped retro look. :giggle:
Indeed. And my around-a-tenner price was very satisfying for a change. 38mm f2.8 glass lens. Shame the wind on sounds like a fart.

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Damn it, this F5 is so minty, I almost want to buy a wreck of an F5 just so I won't feel bad about using it :(

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot'13/14 <span class=poty>FPOTY'17</span>
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Damn it, this F5 is so minty, I almost want to buy a wreck of an F5 just so I won't feel bad about using it :(
Just use it!

Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently put a film through my F5. Lovely piece of kit, mine too is in very good order though signs of heavy use around the hinges etc.

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
^^WHS^^

Use the darned thing.
I'm pleased to hear that by the sounds of it you have picked up a nice copy, however, if it is so minty then it obviously has barely seen what I consider to be proper use. ( that's used, not abused!)
You could go down the same route, wrap it in a silk scarf, only take it out wearing clean lint free cotton gloves, never place it down on a hard / rough surface, or even simply put it in a glass, air tight, germ free cabinet and leave it to die like so many cameras!:rolleyes:

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Took delivery today of a *very* tidy F5. So happy to finally have one again after selling my first one years ago :)

View attachment 256838
Glad to see you got a good one you waited for the right one to come along. Now you can enjoy using it.

Woodsy

POTY Winner 2009
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m in two minds. On the one hand, yes I agree, it was made to be used and not admired sat on a shelf. At the same time, why risk it? They’re not made any more, there are a finite number in existence and damaging it will only devalue it, for no benefit over using an already worn and battered one.

I also don’t see the logic. Preserving it is letting it die?

I’m on the fence at the moment. :/

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
With most mechanical objects, light, but reasonably regular use is probably best as it keeps things from seizing up, drive belts from developing position 'memory', etc. That's why I try to remember to fire a few shots at different shutter speeds at least once a year on all my functioning cameras. It's a bit like owning a valuable classic car, take it out for a gentle run when the weather is nice and enjoy the experience but don't get too precious about it... after all, you could leave it at home to protect it and end up getting burgled while you're out!

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m in two minds. On the one hand, yes I agree, it was made to be used and not admired sat on a shelf. At the same time, why risk it? They’re not made any more, there are a finite number in existence and damaging it will only devalue it, for no benefit over using an already worn and battered one.

I've recently been using my F80 which was my "best" camera at over £500 when I bought it. That meant I never took it out in dodgy weather, near a beach, or anywhere else it might get "damaged", but I had my cheaper Konicas that got used on all these occasions. The F80 is now a sticky Nikon worth about £40, so I've possibly missed out on its abilities over many years. Your F5 is a pro quality camera designed to be used in testing conditions, so it should be well able to handle your shooting Jonathan. Go shoot with it! :snaphappy:

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
The logic is if it's "preserved" in a cotton wool environment ( for want of a better expressioon) is it going to be used as in used like it was manufactured for as a photography capturing tool.
damaging it will only devalue it,
No mention was made ( that I'm aware of) about damaging it ....Using it ,yes, blatantly abusing or damaging it, no!

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently been using my F80 which was my "best" camera at over £500 when I bought it. That meant I never took it out in dodgy weather, near a beach, or anywhere else it might get "damaged", but I had my cheaper Konicas that got used on all these occasions. The F80 is now a sticky Nikon worth about £40, so I've possibly missed out on its abilities over many years. Your F5 is a pro quality camera designed to be used in testing conditions, so it should be well able to handle your shooting Jonathan. Go shoot with it! :snaphappy:
I think Peters experience says all that needs to be said tbh!
It is howver individual choice but I just hope the camera gets to see plenty of daylight and exercises all it's cogs on a regular basis.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
One of life's little treats for you there, I hope you enjoy using it. Don't forget to show us some of your photos. (y)
Thanks, certainly will (y)
Very nice!

I have the 7artisans 35mm lens on my M2, very happy with it. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks. I've tried it on my M10 but not enthusiastic, the 50mm Voigtlander I have for that is so much sharper. I guess it may well work better with film

How do you like it on your M2.

Name
Des
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks, certainly will (y)

Thanks. I've tried it on my M10 but not enthusiastic, the 50mm Voigtlander I have for that is so much sharper. I guess it may well work better with film

How do you like it on your M2.
Not as sharp as my 50mm Summicron but perfectly fine for me.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've added an F4 and an F100 to my collection today. I was in Leeds and dropped into West Yorkshire Cameras and after a long time checking out their stock left with this F4. It's obviously seen some use but works perfectly.

The F100 was waiting when I got home, another eBay buy. The lens came from WY Cameras too. OIP00023.jpg

Edit My Images
Yes
I've added an F4 and an F100 to my collection today. I was in Leeds and dropped into West Yorkshire Cameras and after a long time checking out their stock left with this F4. It's obviously seen some use but works perfectly.

The F100 was waiting when I got home, another eBay buy. The lens came from WY Cameras too. View attachment 257361
I bet you've got more cameras in stock than they have now! :giggle:

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I bet you've got more cameras in stock than they have now! :giggle:
I have more variety, I don't have an EL2, F, F2, FE2, FM3a or S2 though. They were some of the cameras I was considering. Maybe the FM3a and S2 would've been out of my price range, I didn't ask the price on those.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
This camera, a Konica IIIa, came into my possession today. It's case is a bit tatty but it works well. It came with a small case with a Konihood, lens cap and import documentation from 1958 tucked down at the bottom.

It seems to be written in pencil and has survived over 60 years. The camera was valued at £31 6s 8d and the import duty was £25 1s 4d. A lot of money in 1958. IMG_20191012_150754.jpg IMG_20191012_152108.jpg

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Cambo monorail camera arrived, forgotten how large a monorail is but it's for the studio/shed/shop so doesn't really matter. Should be ideal for the close up shots I'm planning on.
Excellent!
Don’t forget to allow exposure compensation for bellows extension if you’re racking out longer than the lens focal length!